Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Lol if you think posting on usenet was hard? if 18 year old college students and your nan with an AOL cd could do it, anyone could. That's kind of where the whole 'eternal September' meme came from in the first place.
1) It was difficult for most people in the same way that playing Quake multiplayer was difficult for most people until things like Gamespy. This is like the Plex server discussion all over again.

Also 18 year old college students is a really, really bad example when talking about technology 'anyone' can access. I was around back then, I messed around on altavista and geocities at college every free moment I had, and I had no idea it even existed. I didn't use it at home because we couldn't afford a PC, and didn't get a modem until about 2000.

Just take the W and accept that you know things other people don't.

2) I know I'm probably going to get owned by a weird specific exception, but I'd say the difference between social media and forums / pre web 2.0 is that the experience of a social media site is defined by your particular connection to other users.

Where the appearance and content on forums and usenet is the same for everyone (even if you only go to / bookmark certain parts of it), social media's content is dictated by the people and products you follow. If we both went to a usenet link we'd see the same thing. If we both went on twitter, we wouldn't. That's the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like I say social media is just a term applied retroactively to a continuum of services that started with shared text docs on mainframes in the 70s, it's not like the scale of use changes anything about the actual legal framework they fall under.
If I post a message to SA threatening to kill anyone with transphobic views, it can be seen by the entire internet (including Tom Watson apparently) in the same way by everyone.

If I post it to facebook, it's seen by probably my dad and some guy I went to uni with, both of whom know me and understand I wouldn't actually do it.

If I post it on twitter, it MIGHT be seen by a mutual of someone I follow, who might then retweet it to a transphobe who will try to make me the main character or contact my boss (jokes on them I have been unemployed forever).

The comments section would also be in a different order, leading to mass confusion over who precisely is being owned (this is why you get the crazy replies first if you open links incognito) - see any Nate Bethea post where the comments are full of transphobes and leftists who are both convinced they're the ones doing the dunking.

The difference between old web and social media should be obvious, it's the way it's built around social links, whether that's friend lists or sharing, and how those links affect the information you recieve as a consequence.

As I said before, if you and I both load up GBS or usenet or the BBC homepage, we would see the same thing. If we both loaded up facebook or twitter we'd see different things. That's social media.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 1, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It's interesting - if predictable - to see how lots of fans of The Witcher Series of Video Games really disliked the second season of the TV show.
"RIP Witcher lore", comments Youtuber who is a huge fan of the games that ripped up, rewrote and wholly invented large sections of lore to make a good game.
My favourite thing about Witcher S2 was they gave Triss red hair, explicitly mentioned that her hair had gone red in character, and basically then turned back to the bigots whining that she wasn't a redhead like in the games as if to say "Go on. Why don't you say what you don't like about the casting now?"

Barry Foster posted:

I quite enjoy the The Witcher show. It's nowhere near as good as the games and it's pretty dumb, but it's good clean dumb fantasy fun.
Speaking of, I can't decide if I like the Vox Machina cartoon or not. It might just be that it was overhyped or that I don't generally get animation, but there feels like there's something missing. It's also very distracting knowing everything about the characters and actors so it might just be I'm not watching it properly.

Would be interested to know what a fresh pair of eyes who know nothing about Crit Role would think about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Camrath posted:

On another note, am I alone in being somehow relieved that Douglas Adams passed when he did, with his legacy intact?
I wouldn't say untouched, Mostly Harmless was written during a particularly bad bout of depression which is why it assassinates anything good that happened in the previous 4 books in canon. Not his fault because depression, but still.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The 3 Musketeers is like that. Apparently Mads Mikkelsen did not get the memo that this is the kind of film that James Corden is in, and turns in a genuinely good performance.

Orlando Bloom however made the brave acting choice to devour the entire loving set.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The news should just follow all items about Boris with the clip of Doon Mackichan from Brass Eye saying "We must catch him, he really is a poo poo."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joe Lycett starting off making a good point about why the parties are cutting through, and then unfortunately melting into a big pile of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1487076326196535308?t=fNNpVZmMVUi8OyncswI18A&s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean i'm not a driver, but is the problem not that the cars aren't slowing down enough?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Driving is poo poo and you are under constant pressure from other road users to do everything as fast as perfectly as possible, and when this inevitably leads to some people loving it up they just go "well technically this is your fault" which to me seems to ignore the actual reality which is that driving constantly pits a bunch of the rules against the general reality of driving, you should, ideally, stick to the rules at all times but people just... don't?
No that makes perfect sense. It's like the motorway speed limit, or the weird rules over roundabouts & junctions that all the locals know, but then someone who's not from the area goes through it in the normal, legal way and everyone pitches a fit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think one of my top annoyances at the moment is people who 'don't do politics,' who know gently caress all about it, refuse to learn and desperately want to go back to not having to know anything, but nevertheless feel the need to stick their loving oar in with their stunning ignorance.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Plus I'm assuming your mum doesn't have columns in several newspapers, a couple million twitter followers and a job presenting a TV show.

They're the most annoying dipshits, the ones who moan about having to pay attention to politics but they're absolutely certain that lifelong human rights campaigner Jermnany Corblyn is an antisemite, and spread that to everyone who listens to them.

The amount of damage that kind of person has done to the political landscape is devastating, but because they think they're not 'doing politics' they don't realise the harm they cause.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 2, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Ages ago someone pointed out (about Trump) that people don't care about rule breaking as long as its your guy breaking the rules for your benefit / your opponent's detriment. Like when the libs were demanding Biden pack the supreme court - if Trump had done the same, they'd be demanding the UN step in.

Previously the middle class (in which I include ex working class small business owners fuelled politically by spite) haven't given a poo poo because the poor and disabled have been the ones getting hammered by the rise of the cost of living and profit hunting via what should be non-profit public utilities. But now that it's big enough for the middle class to be hit, it'll be interesting to see how they react.

One takeaway from all this is that as soon as we all actually are all in this together (i.e. all feeling the pinch), the average brit goes loving insane because all they can really handle is an 'us and them' mentality, whether that's branding the poor and disabled 'benefits scroungers', demanding the ethnic cleansing of GRT communities, or sending the navy to hunt refugees in the channel for sport.

Marmaduke! posted:

100%. Even in a parallel universe where Sue Grey's report explicitly said that the PM directly broke the law multiple times, all he'd have to say is "I apologise, but I don't accept that, jumped up civil servants shouldn't be dictating the law", and the consequences would be minimal.
Much as I dislike Starmer, the absolute brass of Johnson to stand up in parliament and say WRT Saville that it's 'the right thing for people to accept responsibility for what happens on their watch.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 3, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

You could read a book or watch a video, but really you just need block chain dot png

There's nothing the blockchain does that couldn't be done by a centralised database, it's just that libertarians are so inherently untrustworthy they literally needed to invent a planet killer so that nobody could interfere with it (the blockchain is around 14 years old so actually interfering with it would be ephebophilia).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The core of crypto really is lolbertarian types who think that property rights are a law of physics and don't understand what society actually is.
It's like when they tried to get twitter to disable right-click. Centralised authorities are bad, except when I need them to protect my monkey jpg because nobody believes me when I say I bought it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

You don't know anything about US politics.
I mean I don't know everything, but I know enough to draw that equivalence, which is right.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really need to stop using libs / centrists / dickhead columnists interchangeably (even if in practice they largely are).

Regardless, the 'stacking the supreme court' issue is an example of something where the people who would have applauded Clinton / Biden / Obama for doing it would have been up in arms if Trump had done it, i.e. "It's fine when it's our guy doing it to own the other side."

Yes it is legal (if questionable calvinballing of the rules), yes it would have materially better outcomes if the dems did it than if the republicans did it, and yes there's precedent; but I don't feel like that's the point for the people being smug about it in the press, or at least it's a thin justification for the real reason which is to get an advantage over 'the bad guys' or bloody their noses over Kavanaugh & Coney Barratt.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also the artist who drew the monke has made gently caress all from them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/seneca-bored-ape-yacht-club-digital-art-nfts-1280341/

quote:

Of course, “fine” is relative. While she’s not able to discuss financial specifics, her compensation, she says, “was definitely not ideal.”
She did release her own NFT set bosted by the success though:

quote:

In December, Seneca dropped her debut series of NFTs under her own name as part of a collection called Iconoclast at Miami’s Art Basel...

... The pieces ended up generating 23.7 ETH, which equates to about $84,000 at press time. She says it’s enough to pay the bills and then some, giving her the luxury of unadulterated time to craft her next series, which she hopes to unveil in February.
Love to think of 84k as 'just paying the bills.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noxville posted:

Well you can’t pay bills in Etherium so it only actually has that value if you convert it all
*extremely cryptobro voice* yet

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think students still don't pay council tax, so presumably they'll get hosed by this, as with everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He won't express his genuine opinions because they are beyond the ken of man and would open the seal that seperates us from the great old ones.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Citation needed
He was created by HP Lovecraft, it tracks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most likely a practice run for getting the queen to the golden throne in time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's where the disposable children with good livers are though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Fwiw the special was out months ago so it's weird it's only just been noticed.
He starts the show by saying "You're here to see an edgy comic right?" and specifically says at one point that he wants to get cancelled. That rung alarm bells so massive Boris was trying to get me to bung a bob to have them bong for brexit, but I'm trying not to be too humourless about politics especially when watching TV with the wife, so I tried to give it a fair shot.

I watched it because I used to enjoy a lot of his older shows, but this is just sad. It's a hollow structural copy of the bit he used to do where he'd sit and say a few edgy jokes that were deliberately pushing the envelope, and then go back to the anecdotes and crowd work. Only this is the entire show, and the 'jokes' aren't funny.

The one good line he has is adressing an antivaxxer in the crowd saying that the spread of the virus is determined by the density of the population, and some of the population *nods at heckler* is pretty loving dense. Apart from that it's just uninspired bigotry and leftward punching.

I feel like he must have lost or fired the last of his funny writers because like I say, he was funny and the shows used to have an enjoyable atmosphere. But there's something very hollow and cynical about this show.

Of course since Rachel Riley shared a stage with him, she must of course do the decent thing and retire from public life immediately.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 5, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I disagree that Carr was never funny. He hit his stride in about 2008 after he co-wrote The Naked Jape. If you look at shows like In Concert or Comedian, the subject has always been lovely "I'm a sex offender" stuff, but at the very least he was good at the stagecraft, and the jokes were tightly written. I may not have liked the subjects or the targets, but I could at least look at what he was doing back then and think 'this comedian is competent.'

I also feel that there were less jokes punching down, and instead jokes where the punchline was about how horrible things are. IIRC someone from ukmt said that Frankie Boyle was writing for him around then and his better stuff is on-par with Boyle's better stuff.

But the difference with His Dark Material is that it has no body to it, it's all presentation and no substance. The jokes are lazily written - I can't quite word it how I mean, but it's that thing where you can joke about a horrible situation as long as the butt of the joke is 'this situation is horrible' or 'the person who did this is is horrible' and not 'ha ha this horrible thing happened to you.' Carr's earlier shows don't tend to drift away from the former, whereas his latest show is almost entirely the latter.

Take for example the joke he's in trouble for - the punchline only works if you actually think GRT people should be wiped out. It's one of many where the butt of the joke is the victim and not the perpetrator. Then compare it to an 'edgy' joke from earlier shows:

Content: pedophilia, ableist tourettes joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGYWZfQS04

(That wasn't the exact one I was looking for but it's nearly 5am and I have to go sanitise my youtube history & search so I don't have a newsfeed full of edgelords)

The thing about that clip is that it's competently performed, he riffs off the punchline, uses the rule of threes, and includes the audience. The butt of the joke is the sex offender and audience. But even if you hate him and hate the joke, you have to admit it's well performed and well recieved.

And then the clip ruins it with the kind of lazy, punching down, one shot joke about Tourettes his new stuff consists of. There's no follow on, no flow, it's just a succession of mean spirited, progressive bashing one liners. Like a Tim Vine show but by a smug oval office.

All of this is far too many words about Jimmy Carr to say I disagree that he was never funny. He was always edgy but at least he used to be competent. Maybe it is just me though. I could go rewatch one of his older shows, but I fully accept that it might also have been that mid-late 2000s me had poo poo opinions too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Remember 2012 when they started the internet? Parades, bunting, it was a big deal.

https://twitter.com/opiningnow/status/1489918772689440770
I remember having access to the internet in college in the late 90s and at home early-mid 2000s, so even in the sense of the broader population most people have had it for going on 20 years now. Although it'd make perfect sense that by 'we' she means either 'my household' or possibly 'the conservative party.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What do you mean by "my perfect Sunday?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Carr just wrote a bad joke.
He wrote an entire bad show, the whole netflix special is full of jokes like that. As someone else said the central conceit of earlier shows was a certain level of irony in Carr claiming to be an edgy comic.

There was a colourful clownishness to his previous shows, and he at least seemed to have a certain level of joy in playing around with some awful concepts, and more often than not the butt of the joke is the kind of person who would have that opinion.

Kind of like Tim Minchin, who I feel like is another comic who played with that fine line between offense and outright bigotry, but unlike Carr rately stepped over it (though I'm sure that's my provelage speaking and he probably has some retrospective humdingers under his belt).

With this special though even Carr's set design is more muted and colourless, and the jokes are straight up bigoted rather than playing around with bigotry to make a point. With the GRT joke in particular the butt of the joke is not how horrible the subject is, the target is the deaths of GRT people.

Without spending a few hours clipping his older shows it's hard to put a cross the subtle difference, but I disagree with the idea that he's always been like this (or at least I agree that he's been like this, but not actually this), or that this is just a one-off bad joke.

The Netflix special definitely marks a rightward turn into something more cynical and hateful.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People coming to his shows are no longer coming for well-crafted jokes that happen to be offensive (he named one of his shows "Joke Technician" because he was described that way in a review, and that was really what he was - he genuinely was one of the best technical standups in the country, able to hone middling material to a razor edge),
I think that's what's so disappointing. The Naked Jape is a really interesting deconstruction of stagecraft and what makes a joke function, the only more memorable tear down I've seen was Nanette. There's even a prescripted counter-heckler bit he used to do where he does a to-audience deconstruction of how a joke works, and It was clever, tightly performed and used as an in to make a 'your mum' joke.

Seeing him go from that to the Netflix show's level of pandering poo poo is just incredibly disappointing. It's so bizarre. I would say it would be worth watching one of his mid-2000s shows and comparing it to the Netflix show, except I really don't think anyone should have to watch the Netflix show because it was absolute dogshit.

When I first watched it I was worried that I had become the 'humourless right-on leftie' stereotype, but it's kind of refreshing to see that no, this was just a terrible show.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angrymog posted:

When I got my PPI refunds they were cheques.
I seem to remember a bunch of people getting cheques from that, posting them online to boast, and finding someone else had cashed them before they got to the bank using the numbers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

I don't know how many banks do it, but Natwest's online banking app lets you pay cheques in by photographing them with your phone.
If you have the numbers along the bottom you used to be able to forge cheques pretty easily, i guess with the internet and the speed of banking though it's more difficult now, and you'd probably have to use some pretty shifty cash converter places to do it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It does not surprise me at all to learn that these dickheads think 'colorblindness' means "I don't want to ever see anything other than white people or I'll poo poo myself and smear it all over my twitter."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Good thread, a parody site of all people telling Allsop exactly why she can gently caress right off:

https://twitter.com/newsthump/status/1490602974514667523?s=20&t=fMxxStBVV-NQ-LQieP4X7w

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 7, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just saw an article that claimed that facebook and paypal's losses on the stonk market are great actually because that value will be picked up by smaller companies, leading to overall gains. Almost as though they were redistributing it. The wealth.

Also pointing out that a lot of the 'losses' are merely a return to pre-pandemic 'not making all of the money all of the time' levels.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My surface level understanding from barely keeping up with TF is that the money coming into the stock market is generally from investors. If facebook's stock goes down, the investors who are looking at a predicted return of x% will drop out, and instead invest it in other companies who's stock is rising at >x%.

Whether that works in practice or not is less funny than the stock market discovering economic socialism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

If you never had to create a custom config.sys file to play a PC game, you're a pubeless nymph. Getting Magic Carpet to run was a trial, let me tell you.
"You merely adopted complaining about frame rates. I was born in them. Moulded by them. I didn't see 30fps until I was already a man."

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 7, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sinky posted:

:ironicat:

x

Joking about exterminating Roma: Very bad
Actually exterminating Roma: Manifesto pledge
"It's unacceptable to make light of it. People might not take it seriously when we do it."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OOORDEEEUUUGGGHH

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't want to say I'm lucky to have bought a house because it required my mother in law dying young of cancer, leaving us half a house we shared for 10 years with my sister-in-law, and a global pandemic / murderous conservative government who froze stamp duty.

But under normal circumstances and without the hell my wife went through, there is no way my useless rear end would ever be owning a house.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Bought my house for £11k (ex-council) and could sell it for over 90k, but then i no longer have a house.... for me it's a place to live, not a commodity.
No the idea is that you sell your house in a nice area for a lot of money and go live in a cheap house in a cheap area. Then the area becomes expensive and you sell and move again.

What do you mean 'job,' is moving house not your main job? God how do you poors even get out of bed in the morning.

(Except the people actually making money out of this are living on their parents ancestral estate, buying a house in a poo poo area, renting it out, gentrifying it, selling it and buying two houses in a different poo poo area.)

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In our old uni town (Winchester) there was a student landlord who everyone joked about playing monopoly with the cheap houses in Stanmore. The place we were renting was from a couple who moved abroad and weren't sure if they were going to sell, then toward the end of the tenancy they announced they were selling.

We had a few people come round to look; a kid who was going to study at Winchester and no poo poo his dad wanted to buy it 'as a party house for him and his friends,' a family who needed the extra bedroom, and a couple from down the road who clearly wanted to just nose around.

None of them got it because Veasey contacted the seller and offered them 10k over whatever the highest bid was, cash, sight unseen. He owned next door either side and wanted to knock through the gardens apparently.

It's a completely different world. My friend remembers Mrs Veasey coming round to check the maintenence work and complaining to a room full of students that they couldn't afford a 'proper' 2nd holiday so were going to just spend a week on the yacht. loving parasites.