Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I worked two twelve hour shifts over the weekend. On the second shift I'd walked over 30,000 steps and handled a lot of heavy equipment (25kg being the lightest and 40kg being the norm) as had everyone else in my gang. Towards the end of the shift when all the actual work was done the decided that we should do some shoveling and frankly were we just too exhausted to do it. Anyway we started doing some but after 20 minutes decided to take a long break and I sat there thinking that really you can only get about 6 hours of useful work out of someone on my job. After that it's a very steep decline, I think another 2 hours of vaguely reasonable work and after that you're lucky to get anything much. On the end of the shift one of the lads was so tried that he didn't have the wherewithal to lift his leg over the rail and tripped. Fatigue is very dangerous, combine that with the fact we're all dehydrated and it's a surprise more serious accidents don't happen.

Anyone know if studies have been done on this and what the outcomes were, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was he badly hurt?

Nah, embarrassed more than anything. Fortunately he fell into the 6' so there was plenty of ballast between him and the next track.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors...ift%20patterns.

Managing rail staff fatigue (this is from 2013 so not sure if there's a newer one).

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/10934
I've lost track (pun not intended) of the infrastructure maintenance arrangements now. Are you employed by contractor or by Network Rail?

Contractor, most people are these days. They talk a big game about safety, but when the job needs doing it all goes out the window. You protest about something and it all turns into a Four Yorkshire Men sketch "In my day you didn't even have a shovel you had to dig with your knob."

Thanks for looking up some info. I've heard quite a few complaints about lack of staff and people not turning up for shifts and frankly I can understand it. On Sunday we were given a 30 minute lunch break for the 12 hour shift and the guy giving it to us acted like he was doing us a favour.

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer this is something the HSE is increasingly interested in and Bessantj please raise concerns with a union rep.

Getting a union rep is probably a good idea.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 2, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

I would suggest it very much is. In the utilities sector there was, tragically, a double fatality caused by fatigued workers travelling back from a worksite and coming off the road in their car. It led to a complete re-work of shift pattern monitoring - which got some people's backs up because suddenly they weren't able to do 80 hour weeks and then clock on for weekend overtime. Getting home safe is much more important than anything else.

I think at one point the biggest danger to rail workers was vehicle crashes from fatigue. They have changed some things and made it better but some things could be changed just for better quality of life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Walking home I passed this fuckwit that was holding a sign that read "Why are hospitals still full after 'vaccinations'." Man these people piss me off. Why do they loving think the hospitals are still full!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I think they start from the premise that vaccinations bad, and then grab any and all fact shaped objects that looks like they might be able to prop that axiomatic belief up, and then think this is what critical thought is.

Their time would be better spent trying to drown themselves in the bathroom sink.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh he knew, bet he was breathing so hard at her all the time they were together.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1493267666089525250

I'm guessing this already got posted but what the gently caress? At a time when everyone is leaning more and more towards decriminalisation after the failed War on Drugs these cunts want a Weed Offender's register?

Petty wee dicks trying to out Tory the Tories.

Could be good. A big list of people who know about having a good time.

Should have a decent amount of MPs on it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

A bit brain-dead, this, even by Labour standards.
Just imagine how many people have got videos of Keith, coked out of his brain, saved on an external hard drive for just this eventuality.
I mean, poo poo, is there anyone on the Labour front bench who doesn't look like they've personally funded a year's worth of guns for a Colombian cartel?

Dude, Labour have to show they're the party of law & order and the only way to do that is to come out with more and more punitive punishments. By the time of the next GE they'll be saying they'll make it legal for you to batter anyone that looks at you funny.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Basic income: Wales pilot offers £1,600 a month to care leavers

quote:

Every 18-year-old leaving care will be offered £1,600 a month for two years under a Welsh government basic income pilot.

It is expected about 500 people will be eligible to join the scheme, which could cost up to £20m.

Officials said it was the highest amount offered on a basic income scheme anywhere in the world.

The Welsh Conservatives said it was a waste of money while Plaid Cymru wants the pilot to be expanded.

The £1,600 a month will be taxed and is expected to be counted as income by the UK government, meaning it would affect someone's eligibility for benefits.

It will be unconditional and will not be withdrawn if participants get a job.

Seems like an interesting thing to try out. I'm not sure how people who leave care generally get on once they're 18, but have heard that it can be a struggle. If this will take away some of that struggle then all the better.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My work for tomorrow has been cancelled. I'm thinking of the stuff that we left behind that could blow onto train tracks. Mind you hey could cancel all the trains anyway.

Now I'm wondering what could be open because I want to pop into town and return some library books.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Leave the books outside and they'll be returned for you

There's an idea! I just logged onto my library account and they've already added another week for me to return them (which is nice of them.)

The missus has an order coming tomorrow, I think I'll be popping round the corner shop for some milk.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just seem 3 recycling bins blow down the street like they were a family out for a walk.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh that dastardly Corbyn, I hear he went into his local library and spat on all the Primo Levi books!

Also been looking for this laugh riot for a while:

https://twitter.com/robw1972/status/1496129307466510343

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

One of my work colleagues has a wife from Ukraine. He's having a hard time getting her over here because he didn't live with her in the Ukraine and there's no fast way of getting her over here.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Tell him to try seeing if she can go to Ireland?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0225/1282977-visa-waiver-ukraine/

The Visa requirements in Ireland have been waved. It's not perfect but it might be easier for your work college to get her to Ireland and go there, then get her into England.

I'll see what he says about that. Anything is better than leaving her in Ukraine at the moment. Thanks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The guy I work with who has a wife in Ukraine is happy now. She has made it across the border into Moldova where they have given her, her sister and her mother free accommodation in a youth hostel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

British journalists would rather empower autocracy than go to therapy over their bizarre sexual hangups.

https://twitter.com/TabitaSurge/status/1498241805619507205

These people are the whiniest bitches "oh no, some men dress fancy, Putin will take over the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

That or "oh no, some men dress fancy, Putin pls take over the world."

I can see why they'd be happy if he did. Everything scares them gay people, trans people, black people, people in colourful clothing, spicy food, loud music. They need daddy Putin to make them feel safe.