Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Warhammer 2 is a much harder standard to live up to than Warhammer 1 was.

The game feels less fun in part because it's just balanced around a lower power level for everything except melee infantry. Artillery and magic feel weak, monsters are somewhat crippled without life magic (which is why LoC bloodthirsters and patriarch stacks are so strong)

The much anticipated siege rework fell flat and fighting the same few drawn-out settlement maps feels awful. The walled settlements have garbage designs and fortifications are even more annoying and useless. The siege AI certainly isn't any better, either.

Auto resolve was OP on higher difficulty, but it went too far in the other direction, like the screenshot above. Fighting every single battle manually, however trivial, is slow and tedious.

The Realm of Chaos campaign doubles down on everything bad about the Vortex by additionally crippling your main army while it plays a mini game. Expansion doesn't help you at all to win the campaign directly, and arguably hurts you with the rifts and making your larger empire more threatening and difficult to defend.

Basically, the game was deliberately designed to be less fun. Congratulations, mission accomplished.

The launch is really bad, and just because CA had a history of awful launches doesn't make it any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Just because CA's approach to community management is a form of self-harm doesn't make it a mistake to engage with the community, and acting like it is is what leads to these heavily micromanaged marketing plans that blow up in their face.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

They were very much hyping chorfs up before reading the room, and they've been very open about IE taking a lot longer than ME. I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was to release them with or before IE.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

They should just release immortal empires in ~early access~ since it'll be broke as gently caress for months anyway.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

The dev message itself more or less throws the original dev team under the bus. This is basically a FFXIV 1.0 situation where the DLC director has probably spent this time just cataloguing everything that's hosed and now has the unenviable task of spending six months trying to fix it while desperately trying to keep people happy putting out what new content he can in the meantime.

Everyone making excuses for how hard it must be to make so many settlement maps and map changes and animations for blood dlc are... completely correct, but it's not an excuse for taking nearly a year to finish the game, it's a damning indictment of how bad the project management on the original game must have been. Chaos Realms were a lot of work for something that actively makes the game worse, of course, but they just did not have the resources for what they promised. Eight races is a lot, but they aren't finished, with tiny rosters and one dimensional mechanics. The siege overhaul is a massive undertaking, but it's pretty half-baked, doesn't address the core problems, and is actively worse for a decent number of people. People would have been happier had they done fewer things better.

I understand why they didn't do this after the Norsca debacle, but man, most of Warhammer 3 should have been Warhammer 2 DLC. Expand the map, add the non-chaos factions as DLC, have Immortal Empires 80% done by the time Realms of Chaos launched, flesh that out with the WH2 lords already on the map. Something to break the project down into smaller chunks they could actually complete.

If you personally are still having fun, that's great. I mean that. But for the contrarian dipshits, the numbers don't lie. More people *are* playing WH2 than 3, and fewer are playing both combined than they did for most of WH2's lifespan. Many content creators have gone back to WH2, and those that try to support both see more engagement on the WH2 content. These aren't just the rabid fans you see on steam reviews, reddit shitposts, and forums who are angry about the game, it's the people who just don't care, aren't having fun, and have moved on.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

genericnick posted:

I might be the outlier in this thread, but I played hams2 less than 1 despite it being a better game and it very much looks like I'm going to play three less than 2. Even if they fix everything it's unlikely to be not enough to rekindle my interest.

I like the idea of WH1 inhabitability more than the climate system's mostly irrelevant maluses. It really encouraged diplomacy over mindlessly painting the map, since some wars weren't worth fighting and severely disadvantaged you, while encouraging making allies to resettle land you couldn't and act as a buffer. The factions were better balanced on the strategic map and the chaos invasion was a more relevant threat, which made for a more dynamic campaign.

That's about all the nice things I can say about WH1 though. Game kinda sucked and WH2 very quickly became better than it. People acting like the game was unplayable before Potion of Speed are just delusional. Unlike the people saying the game was literally unplayable before Ikit fixed the Skaven. Those people are completely correct.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I had hoped that they would patch in playable Reikland etc at some point or at least make their AI more dynamic, but after how the Realms of Chaos campaign went over, ha.

What really kills the idea of this "having fun" concept playing WH3 is that the performance and unit control just feels awful. I get double the frame rate in WH2 on the same settings, and WH3 isn't *that* much more detailed. Units feel like they're moving through molasses and orders feel more like suggestions. There are all the animation issues with monsters and firing issues with ranged units. Mass interactions are bizarre, with enemy units just effortlessly sliding through or past your frontline, lords and heroes somehow crowdsurfing an enemy blob, etc. Borrow some brood horrors off throt if you can, the difference in how they feel to micro is insane.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Instead of an updated map, couldn't it be an old development map?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Given IE is basically locked to Easy, I wonder how many streamers will stick with it this time vs get bored and go back to WH2.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Has anyone done the work on reviving LLs in IE? Curious if the new corruption mechanics change anything. Also, specifically, with Grom permanently moved to Massif Orcal, will a revolt there bring him back?

Rushing west to confederate him (and probably get in an eternal hellwar with the elves) was 'fun' but moving Skarsnik and Grimgor east certainly makes it harder.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

The Chaos Undivided minor settlement sucks poo poo; I hope even the deranged minor settlement likers can agree with that.

Really just make them twice as large (as in literally scale them 2x) and most of the issues with pathfinding, unit selection, line of sight, and maneuverability disappear.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Try to temper those expectations and don't count down the seconds until the (beta) of IE opens, remember there will likely be some major issues to fix in a later patch.

We've seen hundreds of hours of streamed IE content, and while there are plenty of bugs and design issues to fix, it's remarkably stable for being a 'beta'. The risk is if they try to day one patch all of the issues these streams have surfaced and end up royally breaking something, but I don't think they would risk it.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Skarsnik is ridic now, with lower supply lines, his new starting position, and the greenskin gold building being very cheap and giving 500 gold at T3.

Turn 10: Taken Karaz-a-karak.
Turn 20: Confederated Wurrzag and Azhag, taken black crag and K8P.
Long campaign victory on turn 48, after rolling over Imrik, Tretch, Grimgor, etc, and finally stretching out to kill Belegar.

Everyone hates greenskins, so it was basically a This Is Total War campaign, but with the exception of the Skaven I saw only tentative incursions and a passive defense. #1 in power since turn 15 or so. What's strange is that almost everyone around me was in the ~100 range with a few 30-60s. The three tomb king factions were all top 10 though, and didn't seem more developed than in a WH2 campaign, so everyone had to be weaker than that.

Other weird things I noticed:

I recently played a WH2 campaign and the Forest of Gloom hit T5 in around 20-30 turns. It's still T3 here after 50. Did the growth changes just cripple the AI?

Durthu somehow got reduced to Karak Angazhar as his only settlement. He was completely defenseless and at war with six of his neighbors for about twenty turns before I put him out of his misery.

Akendorf has been left alone as an experiment. It won't grow beyond T3 either, or build more than a half stack. It's like it completely shut down.

I don't think this is really just an aggression thing, it's like some kind of bug shuts off the AI, difficulty bonuses might not be applying correctly, I don't know. But there are definitely economic problems that are driving the AI's passivity. And since tomb king armies aren't bound by economy, that might explain why they were all doing so well.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, no, the confederation changes suck poo poo as implemented and if they want to force this play style shift from conquest and confederation to vassals and alliances they should at least explain why. Watching the AI aimlessly shuffle stacks around without engaging in a single fight is completely pathetic.

Factions like high elves and dwarves that naturally unify need some kind of quest, tech, or mechanic to confederate, because let's be honest, Ulthuan is so rich with trade and landmarks that I'm not going to form an alliance cuddle puddle, I'm killing them all and taking their stuff.

If the reason for the change is to stop the Naggaroth/Eshin death blob from popping up every other game, restrict those factions. Require a land border to confederate. Surely there's a better solution.

We have the same build that streamers had and they all noted the extreme difficulty of confederation in IE. I think the patch notes are just wrong and the crazy dwarf guy is right. Wouldn't be the first time CA did the exact opposite of what the patch notes said they did.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Brief notes on short victory blitzes for the following lords:

Khatep: TKs probably got over buffed. They can get rolling with SEM spam stacks faster and cheaper than any other faction now. The only thing holding them back is army limit, and Khatep actually has the most defensible position with powerful neighbors that are easy to manipulate with the WC3 diplo system. Khatep's long victory should be taking over the Cathayan desert and building his own Nehekara with blackjack and hookers. Also allied unit upkeep should, uh. Cost jars? Free is too low, normal gold cost way too high for the Kings.

Luther Harkon: Coast is probably the single least fun faction to play a low tech offensive siege with, stuck with weak, slow melee and gunpowder sightlines. Alberich is less of a pushover than I expected, and Bret wall towers just delete undead.

Nakai: Basically at war with everyone I met until Cathay was conquered. No one even attempted to take a city off my vassal. No idea why. He has more money but his mechanics still blow (global-recruitment-only armies, poor scaling) and his unit buffs are even more anemic compared to the new stuff gor'rok and kroq'gar got.

Miao Ying: Self-imposed challenge to not war-dec another Cathayan faction. A minor starts in full possession of the wall and would not confederate, even to the point of being destroyed by the third Kurgan wave, flooding into my land. Not a fan of that. Lokhir and Eshin add some variety and pushed the other minors to confederate. Vilitch did nothing at all and Cathay still feels pretty empty for now. Zhao Ming impossible to confederate without AI abuse.

Confederation in general working out the opposite of how CA said it should. AI weights for buying and selling regions is busted and basically infinite money. Diplomacy just feels broken compared to WH2, where there was much more room for factions to be indifferent or hostile, instead of just either 'have treaties' and 'phony war'

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Norscans shouldn't have souls, probably.

There's definitely an issue where order and chaos are incentivized to go after their own over fighting each other. If the hell demons want to hang out in the icky red hab and be reliable trade partners and allies, uh, great. Corruption is a lot less 'leaky' than WH2 also.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Grom's 'new' start position owns because his defeat trait is +10 relation to helves, something extremely useful to anyone sharing a coastline with them.

Massif Orcal is now a goblin zoo where a new lord beats the poo poo out of him every few turns.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Big hats, resource extraction, slavery?

Gotta be a Texan accent.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

As far as loading screen hints, there are just a ton of random blurbs about manaan. Makes me wonder if they're going to do a big naval DLC with more naval combat maps, VC/Norsca rework, Cathay/HE/??? lords, etc.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, there are so many lords to play I can wait a week or five for a campaign that's rough around the edges right now. I hope the slave mechanic gets a little more nuance too.

Setting the AI aside, I'm a little frustrated that every hard campaign got nerfed. Every Chaos-aligned faction is overpowered as hell now, Skarsnik, Belegar, Imrik, Rakarth, Nakai, Arkhan all got much easier start positions.

Kemmler's kind of a mixed bag I guess with all of the counts changes. Upkeep bad, economy building good, bloodlines bad, permakrell good, starting province still cursed.

So, right now, the hardest campaign starts in IE are... who?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I've never been sure if anti-player bias was really a thing in this game. The AI plays by different rules, so it's possible, but I think people underestimate how the player comes off as an isolated, hyper aggressive paper tiger and becomes a natural target.

The biggest complaint I hear is that they'll march through three other enemies just to attack the player at a city they couldn't possibly want to hold, but, well, I'm seeing allies and vassals do that all the time. Makes me think the AI has a very dumb targeting priority that just focuses on the least defended region available with no actual strategic consideration.

I also suspect the AI can't handle the new fort behavior. Louen and the duke just staring at each other across a neutral fort for 30 turns instead of going along the coast.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

did they make daniel good yet? i want to play dressup

hahahahahahahaha

In IE, Daniel starts out homeless with his first fight against a walled Nurgle settlement. His immediate neighbor is Malus Darkblade, who starts with a Black Ark and the additional province of Hag Graef, making him have a very high relative power ranking at turn 1 and making him effectively impossible to wipe off the map early on. None of the starting quests from Realm of Chaos that gave you hundreds of free favor are implemented, so he gets off the ground much slower.

Aside from that, you're insulated from the order factions and no longer at permawar with them, and the east is pretty empty until you run into Archaeon. He does get access to the new marauders, so he actually has a T1 frontline. But no, he still sucks.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Vassal behavior is probably a good way to test the 'normal is more aggressive than VH/Legendary' thing. The infatuation with vassal/alliance mechanics is probably why they hosed up the AI and difficulty differences in the first place.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I keep comparing campaigns on normal and legendary and I still don't buy that normal is easier per se. The normal AI is more reckless, which helps it expand better and pressure the player more, and the legendary AI isn't effectively using its cheats as well as WH2, but after the initial turns, the player can just dismantle their chaff armies in the field and roll over an undefended empire instead of having to grind out well-defended garrisons over and over while avoiding being pincered by the AI's keep-away routine. Also, diplomacy on Normal is much easier, both to stay out of war and to sue for peace.

I buy that it's more fun, and honestly it's laughable how small the difference is in terms of military size and economic development. But normal is definitely easier. I'm curious how much of it comes down to play style, though, and if lower difficulty players have an easier time with the less aggressive legendary AI to build up their faction and take their time invading, while rapid expansionists can decimate the armies in the field and don't have as many defended sieges acting as speed bumps to their expansion.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Silk road is a mini thunderdome and pretty much all of Imrik/Tretch/Ghost/Greasus/Zhao can get knocked out by turn 20, steamroll everyone else, or anything in-between. It's nice.

I've decided that there's too much overlap between the chaos factions to take up eight slots on the faction select pane. If all the different flavors of WoC can be shoved together, the monogods can go in the Daniel Containment Zone.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Just attempted a Kislev campaign in IE. I quit before turn 20. This is loving miserable.

old world order factions being loving miserable is just accurate to the lore

I think Kostaltyn is actually easier than Katarin in IE. Starts in Erengrad at T2, has war sleds instead of the overpriced bear, only really has to worry about northern Chaos threats, fewer neutral Kislev factions that hate you.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Rome 2 is exactly (exactly) nine years old.

Happy birthday to the funniest fuckin' launch.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Cathay is basically a historical faction with some fantasy flair. Unfortunately game pass means you're stuck with the base game, the shittiest campaign ever, and a bunch of factions that are honestly more one dimensional and bland than spearmanii.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

If they only fix one thing about settlement battles, let it be the 'disrupting orders by wiggling in and out of a barricade's thing. Good lord is that infuriating.

There are some decent maps but a lot of them are pretty bad. I don't know if they're new or not but the wood elf map and the empire bridge map are good.

Attach points are absolutely worthless and responsible for some of the pathing and formation issues so just get rid of them.

The stacking leadership buff should really be a leadership debuff on the enemy. So tired of having to hike across the map capping every point because one single unit is playing keep away.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

look they realized the AI was passive and didn't want new players getting bored

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

what exactly is the slaaneshi cult trying to accomplish with the sexless lizard lawbots anyway

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Given they've popped the cork with alliances and parallel building slots, I wonder if cross-faction confederation is on the table. A lawful vampire emperor, elven unification, god-emperor of mankind, unified armies of order, chaos, or undeath, etc.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Kislev's economy is just fine. If things are going the way they are supposed to be you are fighting so many enemies at the same time that you will have all the cash you will ever need.

Kislev has no non-generic bonuses to war income, so saying they get money for fighting is pretty meaningless. You might as well point out how much army you can get with your 3000 base income.

For a conventional faction, the Kislev economic building might be the worst in the game at 3500 for 200/turn plus 15% from the special capital buildings. Major settlements can upgrade this building to T5, but given that will take about 100 turns to pay for itself, it may as well not exist.

The Tomb Kings pay 1750 for 200.

The Empire pays 3000 for 500.

Don't even get me started on the greenskins or norsca.

Kislev does have a farm economy, boosting them to 350 total if you use all three slots (and don't take Kostaltyn's skill that makes forests insanely expensive). They also get global economic bonuses from trade goods, so they actually scale pretty well if you can get out of your poo poo hole starting position. What they don't get is a whole lot of upkeep reduction, which is probably more useful lategame.

So yeah. Their economy is, in fact, bad.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

lmao did they actually fix anything or just nerf fun stuff

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I use buff and debuff spells constantly. Cycling single target DoTs and debuff is one of the safest way to focus down one man disasters/super elites.

If you're saying a DoT is a debuff and not a damage spell that's just a category error. With the caveat of very high magic resistance, cycling spirit leech is going to be more effective use of winds than any buffs or debuffs. They're bad spells with very few exceptions.

The vortex nerf hurts more than it looks like on paper because a dead model and a damaged model are very different things, and SEMs tend to just delete models from full health regardless. It's like how flock of doom racks up big numbers but doesn't really do much outside of malagor.

Black Ark rite is no longer a placeholder, but long victory still rewards a bonus to nonexistent global recruitment, and the UI is *very* purple. Truly, patch 2.1 is a land of contrasts.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

So I guess legendary was literally VH? Huh. The build priority thing is so crippling I haven't noticed the difference, but the player PO penalty is probably the most significant difference between VH and legendary anyway.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

if anything the lesson from the issues with ghorst and festus is that LLs just shouldn't be options in MP

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Just replace the Nurgle factions with Pontus and Pontus (Skaven in disguise), problem solved.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

did they fix dwarf grudges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I’ll only accept vassalization as an Empire mechanic as long as I still get to see the entire region painted red on the map with THE EMPIRE splayed across it.

:colbert:

I can't play the new WoC because the patchwork bullshit on the map makes me too sad, so that would be a nice change.