Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im just here for this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Part of the point of Slaanesh.

Like I remember this line from a character meeting a long-term Slaanshi cultist and it describes them as a whole pretty well.

so slaanesh is the chad meme

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Azran posted:

A youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

Also ignore the youtuber's obvious channel icon.

i see the same icon used for vermintides pactsworn among the rogue army flags

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its more bearable now that rats get chieftains but honestly loyalty on anyone who isnt vampire coast is something to just mod out. its nothing but a pass/fail series of dice rolls that inevitably trends up or down, outside your control, by the power of the law of large numbers

and yeah its also got a ton of mechanics that make absolutely no sense if you try to think about them in any context that isnt just Extremely Video Game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

These skaven siege maps CA why

:negative:

your punishment for not allying with the Best Faction

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i have been enjoying myself and generally being up to No Good

in what im assuming is an oversight, cathay has a -100 aversion to skaven but skaven only has -40 in return, making this achievable. it just makes all of Cathay really hate you for doing it, which is funny and honestly in line with how the skaven would approach it and how everyone would react. I hope they don't fix it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 19, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

that's just a jerboa, very common in the desert

And the fellows in her army are merely Bretonnians.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just noticed the Skaven in their army :lol:

She ended up losing the trait after reinforcing Eshin in a battle.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my warhammer 3 review

(google translation of: Are you winning, son?)

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 23, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

lol you are doing a great work. Want screenshots of plague catapults and rocket batteries firing together.

nurgle realm is gross btw

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah units that rely on physical resistance really do not do too great in this game

most of them were joke units anyways though

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
iron hail gunners are pretty nasty in settlement defense. set them up on a barricade perpendicular to an infantry unit and they will shred things

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i really wish the dang rats i allied with ever built the building for death globes rats cuz they'd probably just be drat near invincible on those platforms.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Eschatos posted:

I assume befriending skaven as Cathay is great for the hirable units but those fuckers both hate me for my alliances with other Cathay factions and also have settlements in provinces I'd love to complete. Have y'all managed to ever reach good relations with them?

as zhao i beat them down to one settlement and sacked it and they then accepted a peace deal + nap. then i just gave them cash every turn (repeated small gifts is better than medium / big gifts btw)

three caveats:
1. no dlc units
2. they're real dumb about their building chains, i never got gas grenades, warp fire, or warp lightning cannons
3. all of cathay will hate your loving guts so have fun killing everyone instead of confederating

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

can't imagine not thinking the ninja rats are the coolest dudes in my mature fantasy setting

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i never liked stat buffs in general since they are often uneven, really warp the gameplay balance once you get enough, and just really don't actually do much.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Vagabong posted:

The Monkey King gets a loading screen blurb that says that Cathayan descriptions of him vary; in the north he's a very angry gorrila, in the east he's a perpetually randy baboon, in the south he's a orangutan swollen with buboes, and in the west he's a tricky spider monkey.

Signs point towards him being a chaos undivided lord.

apparently that's some dude called the Changeling messing up his reputation

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its, kind of all artificial.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:dogstare:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the flying rockets are fun to use manual aiming with

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like the rats cuz they talk funny and hate dwarfs

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would you all say you'd like the chaos realms campaign more if it didn't automatically kick out everyone who wasn't first to touch the prince battle?

I feel like that is a major frustration point for everyone being brought up time and again, especially when the AI can cheat the maze or is 1 inch ahead in slaanesh's realm, along with portals eating up remaining movement.

my thought on it would be that itd have been better to set them up in more a killer game show style of fashion - if you go in early you sit in the holding pen, if you come in late you get at a bit of a disadvantage but you dont have to contend with the early mosh pit. the only one that really works as a competition is Khorne's since you can run up and try to manfight someone who is in the lead, the others are a lot harder to be a spoiler to.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the fun thing is that rifts solve the problem of intervention armies being useless but now the problem is that even if you teleport in the middle of daemon territory... how do you disrupt them? you have to basically wipe out the faction.

maybe you should have to store the soul somewhere or something idk.

one funny way you actually can screw with other factions tho is just have a bunch of heroes in orbit around the enemy faction leader and close any portal they can reach

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Not sure if this has been shared here yet, but relevant information for people playing as Cathay/saying Cathay units underperform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IpVi6KRn4

If you can't watch; Cathay's Formation Lock ability which is turned on by default makes your melee roughly 50% worse, because during combat they spend time trying to maintain formation/reform ranks rather than actually attacking.

Edit: Until this is fixed, would the OP mind adding this to the intro post?

oh my god is this why my allied stormvermin seemed to do so much better than my cathay units??? lol

its too bad that the combat engine doesn't really have any proper representation of the advantages of staying in formation in combat; just being secure in knowing that you just had to focus on the opponent in front of you is a big advantage compared to being instantly dead cuz someone hit you while you were focused elsewhere. there was an interesting thread I read on twitter about how greek hoplites were able to fight well without much training due to the advantages that being in a cohesive group could offer.
https://twitter.com/bazaarofwar/status/1418962703725563905

Vagabong posted:

This is definitely exacerbated by the fact that despite a fair amount of improvements TW3 is fundamentally the same game as 2. I honestly think a lot of the muted reaction stems from the fact that the game is essentially a very ambitious expansion pack. If you've been playing 2 for the past 5 years straight you're going to find the new release far less novel than 1 or 2 were at launch.

I didn't really mind this with the Cathay campaign since they had quite a few features that made it feel distinct but trying to play as one of the daemons just feels like a complete return to form on the strategy layer. Map painting, slamming the same building template in each territory, not much need to bother thinking ahead at all.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One thing I really miss from older TWs is having some units fight in way closer formation, like phalanxes in Rome 2. Every infantry unit from orcs to elves to rats in TWW has the same formation and spacing.

Yeah everyone just sort of fights in a big mob regardless. There's also really marginal advantages to having a deep formation as opposed to a wide one - the only big one being a 'bracing multiplier' applied to your unit mass. At 8 ranks deep you get 4x mass, but only if the unit is braced and hit from the front-ish for units without charge defense. Charge defense only needs around four ranks for that bonus. But if you wanted to be a bit of a grog then a deep formation should really add a leadership buff, a speed buff, and also a mass increase even outside of bracing that lets them push thru enemy formations on the offensive charge. In actuality the way the combat sim plays out being in formation is generally a big detriment cuz most of your infantry just do nothing except serve as arrow catchers.

IMO also the flanking penalty to being attacked from the side/rear while already engaged should also be a lot more harsh - it should probably get an armor penalty as well if you wanna be mean. And knockdown should not apply to a unit that succeeds its melee defense check but a knockdowned unit ought to be more vulnerable to being hurt, and also make mounted units get 'knocked down' except its just a stagger animation that does the same thing, and and uh yes, at that point I would imagine everyone would hate the game, making it perfect.

As much as I go on about this dumb stuff the real weakness in total warhammer has always been its strategic layer. Like, they gave these daemon factions mechanical gimmicks but they're A. peripheral rather than forming the core gameplay for the factions and B. you dont interact with them at all when fighting these factions, like having to alter your strategy layer gameplay to account for enemy capabilities - instead they do poo poo randomly to you and you can't account for it or thwart it or anything like that. It's my biggest criticism of the series.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I feel like I downed adversial opinion pills cuz I think I'm the only one who doesn't see why I need rewards for beating the game or rewards for doing the things that you have to do to win. I guess they could like, idk, do the Norsca thing and give you -99% upkeep? I don't really know what people expect.

I think they should have had a 'sandbox' mode for the main campaign, tho.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

The thread is full of roving packs scrambling to find new and interesting ways to critique the game but mostly just writing the same post over and over.

i can add a novel one i havent seen elsewhere

loving tzeentch AI armies spam the poo poo out of storm of fire, each one of their armies has a separate cooldown, and they seem them for goddamn free while the player has to blow a ton of winds to get it. it means after a point in your campaign you either need a gimmick army made of units that dont take damage from it, or you just autoresolve vs them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
video game development is a swamp, full of miasma and the wailing of the damned

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id like it if there was a stance that you could take that meant that any enemy army that moved into your movement range could be 'intercepted' and attacked, and if you did this while garrisoned you'd take the garrison army with you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
magic weapons are not necessarily AP. they just bypass physical resistance.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
units that rely on phys resist do not have a good time in the wh3 map, daemonic units have magical attacks out the wazzo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
corruption really suffers from the same problem that PO does where its really either at -100 or 100 or in a state of transition between the two, there's thus really nothing interesting done with it. They did add soft tiers to PO but its still a very, very passive mechanic that you mostly forget about or get extremely annoyed at when you realize both how incredibly limited your ability to actually influence it outside of your one building chain, and how much the AI just ignores it.

see also: loyalty

also nuts how these mechanics were more significant and elaborated on as late as Attila but in the warhammer games they're trite poo poo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's funny because docking your archers is always a terrible idea that dramatically reduces their ability to shoot for some reason.

Putting Iron Hail Gunners on dockable barricades and sticking some peasant spearman nearby to intercept any unit trying to tear down the barricades is about the only way to let those guys score ridiculous kill counts.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the skaven rocket was not nearly as blasphemous

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like it when the rats roll around in a big wheel and hit a dinosaur with their magic lightning pew pew

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
1.1 is supposedly going to increase responsiveness.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yah and there is no real limit to how far the AI can go since there is no logistical element to the game, and destroying their armies does very little except give you some money which is at least better than old titles.

One way I learned in 3k to deal with that is to stop building buildings, just hoard funds. Then you recruit around twice as many armies as you'd usually do, and send half to go on the offensive with. It puts you on a time limit but its the only way to reverse your position - trying to go tall is generally really terrible return on investment compared to just making more armies to go wide with. The deficit isn't real, it can't hurt you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id like the ability to create bloc style things like that, although outposts are nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah spells and some other things have taken the place of abilities and such, that's fine.

The button I'd really like to see is something to tell a unit to repeatedly keep trying to do the same order, like telling your lord to target an enemy lord in a moshpit instead of repeatedly getting distracted and turning their back to the fucker that hits them for hundreds of damage.