Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sorry but for the entire Empire to achievement perfect harmony at this very moment we must demolish your local tea house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like Nurgle should get some chaos warrior halberds so they have a single source of anti-large damage.

Could even nurgle them up and lower armor and attack but give their bloated bodies more health and poison attacks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I remember hearing that Herald lords can become greater daemons. How exactly does that work? Is it a dilemma triggered by hitting a certain level or is it buried in their skill tree somewhere?

I'm also curious about this, I think it would be optimal to have a bunch of groupy demons following your lord around until you got a bunch of greaters.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Modders are going to make a lot of use of the caravan system I can see it already.

Coastal city trade convoys across the new and old world.

Adventurer parties of a few heroes and a handful of regular units sent on "quests" in caves and ruins across the world.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there much use for the Lord magistrate? his buffs don't seem strong enough to be worth taking his worse-then-casters stat lines

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only thing holding Tzeentch back are that most his units aren't practically tanky or fast, but the chaos knights with barrier? the soul grinder? you can just keep retreating every time the barrier breaks or just overwhelm with skirmish missiles and end up with a army roster that makes wood elves feel fun to play against.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't like that you can just keep plopping down towers and barricades, especially right in front of the enemy army, much rather it be something they can do at the start and it's done.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say I have had some pretty good defensive wins with basic garrisons against twice their size invasions, the chokepoint heavy layouts really let you bottleneck the enemy at a couple locations and even swap out exhausted troops for a fresh unit.

Doesn't matter if the AI has fliers because like in every total war game they are eager to send them in immediately to die alone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've no doubt within the year the mod makers will shift over from WH2 to WH3, port over their old projects and make mods for any remaining annoyances the playerbase still has and then everyone can more enjoy the great QoL features WH3 brought to the table.

Until then I still got a strong "one more turn" urge in my current VH/VH Cathay campaign as Zhao.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

This event seems pretty good, the other choice is frostbite/magical attacks and celestial guards for the caravan.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like people wouldn't be so sore about settlement battles if the auto-resolve wasn't so drastically overtuned to force people to play out each fight.

Even open field fights and rifts are way overtuned to wiping out most of your army on a auto resolve, I think it'll be one of the first things people mod out is the VH difficulty auto resolve.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like the extra difficulty and the AI actually being able to match some of your doomstacking, army-soloing legendary lords after they yoink some weapons from Khorne and you can't just snooze through the battles too much, I'd just like them to let me skip the mismatched battles more often.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Fighting battles in the chaos realms against the other LLs' premier stacks and barely pulling out wins by the skin of my teeth is the most fun I've had in TWW3, and the only thing I like about the current chaos realms is that they serve as a functional thunderdome for the nastiest army every faction can put on the field.

A shame about everything else about it.

Yeah exactly this, fighting some rival lord after you've been worn down by demon armies and that lord has a Khorne weapon making him unbreakable and +250 damage makes it a bit more challenging.

I'm liking my first campaign as Zhao, with his skill line you can easily make all the ogres love you so you can completely ignore the hellmaze that is the mountains of mourn and focus on just Cathay and the Bastion, though after you've secured Cathay the map feels a bit cramped since you don't want to expand south and the only other place is endless inhospitable chaos wastes, though I suppose a third option is taking a rift with your lord and finding a new place to call home.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the auto-resolve should have to take all your units to 10% health before it can start killing off your units, I'd like to be able to auto-resolve a 20vs3 battle without losing my weakest unit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone gotten into multiplayer campaigns yet? how do they run?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
By the way everyone is having multi-minute load times between each battle even installed on a SSD right? not just me?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

No, something must be up on your end. You might want to try out userbenchmark.com to see how your components are running, it can give you good insight.

Ah oops, had it on a hard drive instead of SSD, should be better on the SSD.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The End Times event had these characters that rode big ranged monsters. They could act as artillery like cygors or as big warpflame throwers.

A warpfire thrower unit would do wonders for Nurgle's lineup.

I'm also holding out hope that CA will (eventually) make different chaos spawn models instead of the current palette swap.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 22, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

They aren't really palette swaps now though?

Granted the differences could stand to be bigger but there's a spectrum with some variance. Beastmen and Khorne get some beast skulls on theirs, Tzeentch ones get some extra heads etc.

They're definitely variations on a theme, but they're about as personalized as the Giants are.

Khorne uses the beastman chaos spawn model, the other three use the old chaos spawn multi-head model but painted green/blue/purple.

I feel like there is room to get more creative with it if given time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nurgle's campaign has grown on me a little after I learned he can get soulgrinders extremely early from t3 cities for just 5000g and he can speed up the growth cycles by 1-2 turns with some techs and plagues.

His economy is still total rear end however.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

How should I be levelling up big daddy nurgle? Seems like a waste to level his spells at all since he gets a spellcaster right at the beginning.

Not sure the blue line is worth it. But lightning strike and upkeep is always good.

I entirely skipped Ku'gath's magic line and just rushed spells on the hero, rushed yellow line for pestilent decay > his best personal skills to buff nurglings and the faction and the 10% missile resist for his bulk against kislev and dwarves > red line to further buff nurglings and get more debuff skills > blue line.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I got the strat down for nurgle's campaign, secure your starting province and rank up your plagues for the first 30 turns while leveling up some heralds following Ku'gath around, after turn 30 go to Slaanesh to take out a small loan of a million dollars on the lower circles and use that funding to go into the negatives with a second army and really go hard south from there.

I made tons of defensive alliances with northern demons so I only had to focus on the southern Kislev and Dwarves, once you reach the real prize of Kislev you're funding for the rest of the game should be secured with the 250% sacking bonus plague.

I also made it a point to befriend and ally with every Skaven clan I came across, I think weapon teams and Warp lightning cannons is just what the plague doctor ordered for Nurgle's roster.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I can't finish a campaign.

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Use ambush stance and use a solo lord as bait.

Stack movement speed modifiers, I've gotten some lords so speedy that normal stance moves as far as march stance.

Use less ultra-elite units in your stack, the AI is more likely to hide in a town against 19 terracotta sentinels.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

Zhao in my first Cathay campaign is running around with 57% ward save and the rare times his healthbar even moves it regens by 10/second.

He is a one man army, research the 20% ward save banner and grab the Slaanesh blade for another 20% and luminark lens -40% enemy fire resist for damage, he hasn't invested any points in spells, doesn't really need more then the occasional dragon's breath for chaff clearing

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I've been trying to bait with ambush stance and it very rarely works because the AI isn't as easily baited, it seems, as in TWWH2. I wonder if it has to do with the VH campaign setting?

Maybe I'm just lucky, I usually sit in the nearby forest for 70% ambush chance but I have yet to get a single ambush and I'm about finished with my Kislev campaign.

Are you using a solo lord as bait next to the ambush? if a random agent doesn't ruin the ambush early it should be a juicy target for the AI to go after.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What catches me offguard everytime with the ogres is whenever I have something reach their artillery I don't expect it to just ... zoom away at twice the speed of any infantry I sent after it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My main complaint about the Nurgle campaign is that furies and rot flies are locked behind a 10k building and the final rotflies require a t5 settlement.

Really feel like furies could of been on like... a 2k building, especially when soulgrinders are on a 5k building that also gives spawn and forsaken.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Worst army I've had to fight as Nurgle were dwarves with a oddly huge amount of gyrocopters that could melt my exalted great unclean ones, soulgrinders, kite what little I could field in the air, and still have half their ammo leftover after getting through those, just a miserable experience, I had to take the auto resolve instead of fighting it so I'd lose some nurglings instead of my big boys.

They even did bombing runs of my infantry lines, Zhufbar does not mess around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game lost nothing for them being removed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
But why was every single ruin across the entire world and it's puzzles lizard-man themed?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Wonder how much of their changes to tone down technologies and red-line skills is to accomodate the outpost system, since all the buffs to your faction's units in TWW2 made the occasional cross-faction unit availability such as Ogres less and less relevant as campaigns passed the early-game. I mean it doesn't explain why so many of the non-unit-related techs are tepid, nor do I think reducing all the numbers would be a great solution either, but still.

I'm personally happy with toning down skill buffs to everything, it just made the human vs AI difference much wider when the AI would take 6% reduced siege attrition skills while you took the big pile of stats to your best troops over and over.
But I also think it's a mix of wanting to tone it down and not testing everything thoroughly enough because of techs that give vanguard to units with vanguard or leadership to unbreakable units.

Third World Reagan posted:

When you think hybrid unit, you think it can do both melee and range.

What you should think is ranged unit that can almost melee. Or ranged unit that is less useless when it has no ammo.

What I dislike most about monstrous artillery units is every single shot seems to cause a extra tier of exhaustion in the unit, rendering their melee stats pretty bad by the time they fire a few shots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would be hard for me to go back to 2, the QoL changes are massive in places.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If Soulgrinders are sorta like a Bone Giant, Nurgles roster could really use a Ushabti greatbow type unit, something with a few models at a cheaper price and a short range attack, preferably with anti-air fire.

Man do Gyrocopters just destroy the entire Nurgle roster, I don't even want to think about hawkriders or a woodelf skirmishing force.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone noticed if Nurgle plagues always cause attrition and stop replenishment or does it require any of the specific "deals attrition" affects?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So far I've found alliances and settlement trading to be great tools in WH3, just toss all the crappiest settlements to your buddies to act as a buffer while you keep stretching yourself thin with further conquest.

Mostly been sticking to defensive alliances unless I REALLY want a bigger outpost, are military alliances as dangerous as WH2 in terms of ally dragging you into wars with everyone else? I figure if I just stick to one like Thrott as a chaos faction it should be fiiiine.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would you all say you'd like the chaos realms campaign more if it didn't automatically kick out everyone who wasn't first to touch the prince battle?

I feel like that is a major frustration point for everyone being brought up time and again, especially when the AI can cheat the maze or is 1 inch ahead in slaanesh's realm, along with portals eating up remaining movement.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In the end it does feel like they could of pushed the release date further back for 3-6 months and just kept some minor hype rolling and DLC sales in the leadup to the release.

Feb was a pretty big month for game releases and WH3 probably would of been received better if it released with immortal empires and access to all the older content out of the gate instead of them going back to their old mistake of making lots of mini-campaigns nobody very much liked over a big sandbox.

It is sounding like it is Norsca issues 2.0 happening all over again and it'll take most of the year just to update every old faction to WH3 systems and figure out what the end map will look like.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Overhaul mods like SFO are good if you want to re-experience a game for the first time again while still having it be familiar.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope the mention of chaos realm traits mean they are axing them completely, it's a unnecessary level of annoyance to just have your faction leader sit in a capital city for a bit and wash off the chaos traits.

It also didn't make much sense that the demon lords would get negative traits from their own domains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is what I'd change the chaos realm traits to, turning them into boons the chaos gods are bestowing on you because you amuse them in their realm and you could refuse the boon and have a increasingly stronger demon army spawn on you for each refusal.

Khorne: Army gains +3 leadership/MA/MD/base weapon damage +5 Khorne corruption per rank.
Slaanesh: Faction leader gains +5 MA/MD/Speed/5% weapon strength +5 Slaanesh corruption per rank.
Nurgle: 50 Growth in all cities and 5% casualty replenishment rate in all armies +5 Nurgle corruption per rank.
Tzeentch: 50% research rate 10% ambush chance/defense chance/reinforcement time +5 Tzeentch corruption per rank.

Every rank would have around a 3% chance for a random negative event triggering related to that chaos god per turn, you could do a ritual to cleanse the faction leader to remove it at any time but it would disable campaign movement for a turn for each rank.