Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's certain quirks and habits you'll notice from the AI on both the tactical and battle layers and that does lead to it being abusable when you recognise them (this is basically LegendofTotalWar's entire shtick), but it will surprise you now and then if you underestimate it, especially with cheeky flankers and high value units popping out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Scuttlebutt was that the devs wanted to pull the hail mary of nuking the setting for a while but the old bad CEO decided to make it his pet project and leaned so hard on the scales it hosed the entire endeavour to the moon.

AoS is far better than its memetic reputation has it, but only after its initial failure ousted the old CEO and brought in a new guy who basically went on a rampage of internal revamping and expansion. Creating a social media team to do outreach, bringing in new developers and righting the ship wherever they could etc etc.

Do hope that CA takes a crack at a Total War AoS, stuff like the afformentioned ghost faction (Nighthaunt) would be a fun romp.

That anecdote about the videogames is pretty funny in hindsight (said quote was specifically referring to Pokemon, by the by) now that GW is throwing the rights to the setting left right and centre to so many smaller studios. Though they're very shy with doing that for AoS for some reason (outside of some mobile trash and a turn-based strategy game I hear is actually pretty good?).

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 14, 2022

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Unit Caps would probably be the way forwards with that. I.e: only able to take 1 Mega Gargant for every (x) regular Gargants. They'd be a super, super limited roster even with weapon variant units in mind, a problem most AoS factions would face compared to the much more vast (to the point of being bloated in some cases) rosters of Fantasy factions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In hindsight it's also hilarious that the two big Warhammer killers of the time, Flames of War and Warmahordes, decided to follow the old-GW business model just as GW got its act together.

Warmahordes in particular, Privateer Press just went all in unloading a combat shotgun into their crotch over and over again it's impressive in the horror of it. From the bloating issues with Warmahordes, the disastrous launch of its Mark 3 edition and inability to stabilise, the utter abandonment of what was arguably their best game by miles in Monsterpocalypse, Riot Quest, killing off their volunteer program after the Magic Judges lawsuit, the limited armies bullshit and the hilarious attempt to rip off Infinity with Warcaster.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
One way they could make Caster LL's a little more interesting would be to follow from AoS's paradigm and give named casters a unique signature spell, like Nagash's "Hand of Dust". Even if its just an overtuned version of a regular spell it'd go a way in at least making Caster LL's feel more than just a geared out Wizard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The recent Slaanesh stuff coming out of GW has been an utter triumph of aesthetic and thematic cohesion, and pushing back against the stupid fan conceptions about Slaanesh's spheres of influence.

Really can't wait to see the stuff they have in store if/when they give Emperor's Children the same big expansion/overhaul they gave Thousand Sons and Death Guard in 40k. Any day now. Plz.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does Tzeentch have a stalk stance or something? Because during my try of Cathay I was continually getting into situations where I should have been getting a straight up fight but instead got pushed into an ambush with the defending Tzeentch army as the attacker. Was annoying when it was just the roving stacks that pop out of portals/gently caress around in the Storm Dragon's starting areas, made me quit out when it was a roid'd up Kairos stack and instead of getting to pull off my meticulous ambush, he managed to grind through my two support stacks through these buggy, very pre-changes Skaven ambushes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Game owns, most of my problems are stuff that's gonna be balanced away (please rebalance Tzeentch oh god even when its a fight in my advantage it's an unfun nightmare where I end up taking way more casualties than I should) or bugfixed away.

Only real parts that make me grumble are the Tzeentch realm (islands too narrow and small to avoid the constantly respawning Tzeentch stacks, which combined with the aforementioned bullshit that is that faction right now and that the puzzle basically requires you to spend a lot of time jumping island to island unless you luck out makes it seriously suck way harder than the other realms), the Daemon Prince's gear options melding into a boring mush after the first few unlocks and the small but irritating UI changes (diplomacy screen feels way busier and harder to decipher, why do building slots fill in from the top left to bottom right where the other games it was bottom left to top right).

OwlFancier posted:

re: negative trait recovery, apparently the anti-skaven buildings also add that functionality and I'm not sure if it stacks with province capital effects?

From what I can tell it does stack, and it can remove multiple negative traits at once, as long as they're different negative traits and not just different levels of the same trait.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 19, 2022

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
While I've had a few minor issues with pathfinding (primarily on city maps with bridges, trying to order a group of units across a bridge seems to cause them to freak oujt, either single-filing across or getting half way, deciding to reform their formation and running back the way they came to do so), the Kislev sleds and Cathay artillery seem super hosed by it. idk what it is but that kinda caravan unit seems to get hung up trying to position both the animals and the cart, more than a few situations where I've ordered a Lil' Grom to shoot something, the bears stare at it while the cart gets stuck at an angle and it sits there doing nothing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Broken Cog posted:

Also as Tzeentch, get a cultist in each army, since they eventually learn 3x pink horror and 1x Lord of Change summon for every battle.

All the Cultists do with their appropriate God. Slaanesh is by far my fave for this, as you can dump a squad of Daemonettes or a Keeper right behind a tough squad and let that flank bonus blender them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Doomykins posted:

Yeah I've had that bug happen twice, once in the same situation as you and another where a Slaanesh portal didn't work which is an automatic race loss. I think in your case rifts get a bug where they think "you've been to chaos once this set, you can't go twice" even though you need to contest the Forge and the Advisor just ripped a fresh set open for you to do so. If you have older saves you can go back and ignore going for your third soul(making your win positively glacial if you can swing it) or be more competitive in the race but if you say missed the first soul on the first rift set now you know that winning the race demands never falling behind lest you get hit by the bug.

Realms of Chaos.. not as good as it could be???

Got that bug last night with the Slaanesh portals, a reload fixed it but it let Greasus get way too close to comfort.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've noticed that the AI really struggles with the Nurgle realm at times but I'm just playing on Normal. Outside of the attrition caused by sieging it never bothers them typically. I usually threw on a mod that removes their attrition resistance in the prior games.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

peer posted:

two models for sure, like aos morathi

Funnily enough as of the last Campaign supplement 'Broken Realms', they're basically two separate characters you buy and deploy as a pair due to lore shenanigans, rather than being a transformation as before.

Dragon Kids would likely be how she originally was, or two separate unit entries for each form you could only bring either or of.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 1, 2022

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PerilPastry posted:

Just so be clear so I'm not missing anything: There are no land/take off buttons, right? Could have sworn I saw them in previews

It's the furthest button on the left of the unit commands bar. It'll be greyed out for 10 seconds each time the selected unit(s) are hit by a melee attack however.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's hard to see due to the giant neckguard covering most of their face, but are the Jade Warriors mixed gender? They have seem to have both male and female voicelines, which is neat.

Jade Warriors and the Celestial Guard are both mixed genders and alternate voices on click if you listen close. Only the peasant units and gunpowder ranged are mono-gender.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
How long did it take for the community workshop to come online before?

Missing my QoL mods.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
With regards to artillery, I think it might have to do with how the Grand Cannon/Little Grom/Ironblaster's animations have to factor in the beastie pulling them as compared to artillery of prior games being pushed into position. Noticed a lot of the time when my pieces aren't firing, they're turning around at random chasing their tail or need slightly shimmying to unstick them, hopefully the unit responsiveness fixes will help.

Only piece I've noticed that doesn't suffer this as often is the Cathay Rocket Battery, maybe due to how it arcs more dramatically, though that has its own problems of suddenly not arcing and obliterating any poor unit just in front of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd love to see the Nurgling animators take on Brimstone Horrors. If only for a spell effect of the like.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New patch feels good so far. Did a Daniel of Chaos campaign and the main man himself feels a lot more useful. Still need to stick to sets and the choices are still a matter of minor stat increases but they're good stats now at least. Installed a skill point mod and the extra points further help his stack feel more Undivided instead of "Main god, with friend".

Realm changes feel pretty good as well. Nice to not have to waste time after clearing a Soul fight and have my Leader be more active instead of dicking around my capital for most of their time. Did notice that the AI factions seemed to be clearing Tzeentch's realm concerningly fast but might have just been a dice roll.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Man we have 8 new fantastical factions yet to get new characters, with 2 of them completely untapped in terms of raw potential, and all anyone wants to talk about are a bunch of squabbling nobles with mildly different hats.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If the Empire's so great then how come Skragg's eaten most of it by the time the second portal opens?

Checkmate Reiklanders.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Snake man's an Amazon/Lizardman Star Player, he's a Lizzy.

Simmer down nerds.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Throwing in some two cents into Chaos Dwarf chat, I'd put money on them looking a little different to what people are expecting. GW discontinued the Forge World sculpts about a year or so ago and is likely redesigning them for The Old World vapourware tabletop game from the ground up. Not to mention the massive massive hints they've been dropping recently that Chorfs are about to get reintroduced into Age of Sigmar (Hobgoblins returning to the setting covered in distinctly Chorf looking armour pieces and grenades, the Chorf cosplaying Horns of Hashut cultist dudes they just released).

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I've noticed watching streamers that none of them ever seen to move in march stance. I use it all the time, and on the rare occasions I get caught, it doesn't seem to make too much difference in battle. Is it a bad idea to be doing that?

Very. Armies that get engaged in march status can't retreat from a battle, are utterly destroyed if they lose regardless of casualties, suffer massive auto-resolve penalties and start Exhausted if you manual fight it out.

You should only really march across your own territory if you need to get into position ASAP, but even then it pays to double and triple check the route for any possible ambushers, rogue armies or hordes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Tried out Valkia's campaign on the Realms map. Went to the Badlands rather than pushing against Kislev and into Norsca like the game nudges you to and had a jolly time beating the poo poo out of every Orc, Ogre and Skaven in that dustbowl and making them vassals. With the entire Badlands under my hoof I was pretty much free to pump out armies and grind for souls against Greasus and Katarin while Valkia rode around The Empire powerlevelling her stack.

The new WoC mechanics feel pretty neat, was nice to approach end game with an army that wasn't a hyper optimized doomstack without self-imposing that limitation on myself. My main issue however was that it didn't feel like there was much threat or pushback against my campaign progress besides the occasional stack Katarin threw at my home province. I figured that opening rifts would have daemon stacks pop out or one of the other Champions of Chaos would declare war (Vilich discovered me and spent the entire campaign trying to be my bff), but nothin'. Kinda flat but I guess the devs would be wary considering the hyperbole surrounding the rifts campaign.

The final battle was pretty neat. I really dig those kind of king of the hill take and hold style scenarios and facing off against each champion and then Archaon was very cool. Though strangely the God-alligned forces made such much more of a threat than the godsdamn Everchosen did despite him coming from all sides, the AI needs to be tweaked to prioritize what units it sends to capture points, his Horsemasters were fretting about outside the first ring picking at the towers I'd set up while his biggest threats (Giants, Dragon Ogres etc) wasted their time slowwwly capping and letting me chew through his Chosen without hassle.

Going into a Vampire Counts campaign for IE and the main neat thing I've seen so far is that Kislev and Cathay don't seem to have a diplomatic bias against Vamps. The Frost Court and Great Orthidoxy are my buds and its gonna be a blast backing up my shambling dead with Streltzi and Ice Guard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Man, Vilitch's faction is a tough matchup for Orcs. I sent Grimgor off to go punch the various Orc factions to the South West of his start so I could jump start my mid-game economy and make friends with Gresus only for Vilitch to declare war out of nowhere and pause his conquest of Northern Cathay to throw a pair of roid'd out stacks at me. Without ol' Grimmy to lean on my units struggle to make a dent in the Chaos Warrior anvil while his Horrors and Flamers absolutely tear through a good portion of my available units, especially my Trolls which would be my one saving grace. 4 Turns until Grimgor can sprint his way back but I think I'm gonna lose my starting province.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Was having such a fun time as Be'lakor rampaging around and around Bretonnia like it was daemonic NASCAR as my vassals and a seemingly endless parade of increasingly far-travelled opportunistic factions laid claim to what was left of not-France, only for the Orc End Game Crisis to pop and Grom went from being my one minor settlement buddy to sprouting a bunch of doomstacks and kicking my rear end back to Albion :smith:.

Losing a stack as new WoC really fuckin' hurts in the late game. Luckily I can fall back on Daemons as Be'lakor, but it's gonna drain my soul supplies dry to get back in fighting shape. Meanwhile, Malus is sniffing around my Norscan vassals and Ulthwan managed to turn the tables on N'kari under Avelorn's banner. It's getting hairy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note I'm playing Slaanesh and got N'kari doing his Naruto run with 200+ speed, is N'kari the fastest possible unit in the game or can another stack more speed increases?

Was loving around with the Traits Manager mod and stacked a whole fuckton of +speed traits on N'kari.

His animations started to glitch out and he practically teleported across the battlefield, it was incredible. Think if I microed him enough he could dodge projectiles.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Played a bit of all three Chorf Lords in IE, I really wish they'd given Zhatan a different starting location to where he is, maybe somewhere in the Badlands or Border Princes instead of getting jammed in above Cathay.

Both his and Astragoth's starts suffer from having Grimgor right there and his propensity to snowball hard hanging over your head unless you deal with him asap, I had to abandon my first attempt at Zhatan because Vilitch and his vassal Norscans decided to declare war at me the turn after I met them and by the time I was done mopping him up, here comes Grimmy coming over the ridge after kicking Kholech in the teeth to put my fragile early game economy into a death spiral.

Gonna give Drazhoath another try and this time smash through Imrik as soon as I can (provided that Ghorst and Greasus don't team up to hammer at my eastern flank and then get chased all over the Mountains of Mourn like with my first campaign), and try to push through into the Old World before its inevitably 40% Festus, 40% Azrael and 20% Karl hiding in some forlorn corner province by the time I get there.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1685213616771911680?s=20

Weirdly quiet way to announce the DLC, especially as there's been some clamour to expand out Cathay.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, slaanesh died in aos cuz they wanna start the long task of making it pg

still sell the figurines tho

Man it's kinda depressing that despite Slaanesh never having left, and at this point being back in focus as long if not longer than they were out of it within AoS, people still spread around this guff. Likewise claiming Slaanesh has been censored, as if swapping gratuitous badly sculpted tits for a more gnarly Hellraiser-esque aesthetic is some great tragedy.

Anyway, currently torn between Jade Dragon and Momma Stanky for which faction to play first when the DLC drops. Cathay's new units and improvements look great but a Kislev campaign divorced from the political minigame (Boris technically is being more of a kingmaker for it but lordy that Chaos Wastes start is ROUGH) sounds like heaven.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Slaanesh's new units in AoS own and I hope they do hope some of them show up in the inevitable Slaanesh DLC (though increasingly unlikely with Forge World's recent attempts to border their games off from the rest of the Warhammer franchise in terms of both aesthetics and cross-compatability, which I suspect is the reason why the Tzaangors in SoC look nothing like the tabletop minis).

Bits of lore and design like Slaangors being more powerful and more blessed than their equivalents for other gods due to very few Beastmen having the cultured tastes in depravity to attract Slaanesh's attention are a much more compelling take on Slaanesh's spheres of influence than what the average meme-riddled Warhammer fan makes them out to be.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
At least there's a mod that fills it with a hodgepodge of factions. Was fun to square off in an artillery fight with the Empire faction squatting in Ind on my last Cathay playthrough.

The Chaos faction in not-North Korea having the Juche variant of the hammer and sickle was maybe a lil' too on the nose though.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Mid-way through a Grandma run, her limited roster is pretty interesting to play with and I wouldn't mind that kind of hard-lock on your race's entire roster being played with in the future for the thematic feel it facilitates. After pincushioning Morathi and recovering from a heart attack of Khatep and the Sisters of Twilight declaring war on me at the same time only to... not do anything until suing for peace, I decided to intervene on N'kari and Noctilus carving up the dumb elf donut between them. Stanky's stack appearing out of nowhere and butchering through the tainted hordes before melding back into the wilds was some serious fun.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Carcer posted:

Anyone tried the Dread King's Legions mod? It looks like its an attempt to turn tomb kings into tomb greeks.

e: tomb greeks/romans. The models are pretty well done so far.

Tried it back when it was part of that massive faction pack for TWW2, felt a little bit on the overpowered side, after you get over your start and earning cash nothing really could stop your stacks with the new units in them. But that was 90% of that mod's factions tbf.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Carcer posted:

I'll see how it is now that its separated out.

e: So you played before you were sandwiched between volkmar and repanse, with a bunch of other scary LLs hidden just offscreen, right?

Repanse was there, as was Setra, the dwarf guy and especially the Lizards lurking down South.

Dr Christmas posted:

You make progress by spending her special spirit essence currency, and the rate you can spend it is limited by the number of special ingredients you have. Each one can be used once per turn, so I was just hammering what I could every turn, definitely making it faster than I could spend. I think there is one ingredient that can't be obtained in RoC because you need to encounter the Tomb Kings for it. That and her being surrounded by unpleasant climate were my main frustrations.

Best way to grind your way to each curse is hammering out a bunch of junk trinkets every turn and using the Cleansing Chant on cooldown if you're not pushing into particularly corrupted territory, as it'll still work even if the territory doesn't have any corruption.

A particularly good tool she has, and a good spender, is the upgraded Jinxed Land curse. There's nothing like taking a particularly nasty enemy stack and yeeting them off into the middle of Ulthwan, or the rear end end of the map down at Oreon's Camp or the Cathay forest. I'm in the middle at another run with her on Immortal Empires and I've sent Archeon off to Brazil over and over while I try to reclaim Kislev from Daniel the Daemon Prince, of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Doing a paint the map Cathay campaign using the expanded Immortal Empires mod, and I'm loving the new AI faction potentials because of all factions, Skarsnik has utterly devoured the Empire, Badlands, Darklands and is currently pushing Greasus out of the Mountains of Mourne and threatening my borders as I'm in the process of clearing Ind/Nippon/Kuresh out of a minor Orc faction that likewise went a lil' nuts. Meanwhile Kholech has supplanted Archeon as Everchosen and an Elven mega alliance conquered Naggarond only to have to take Ulthwan back inch by bloody inch from a displaced Arkhan. Just wild outcomes, friggin' Grimgrog was knocking at my door for a NAP in the face of endless Gobbos.

That said, I'm worried the auto-resolve is on the fritz again because it haaaaates my Sky Junks. Even auto-resolving fights where the enemy has absolutely no ranged or magic, my Junks mysteriously lose about 70% of their health, likewise for any Magistrate lords on Lantern mounts. The kind of auto-resolve spite that feels at home in unpatched TWW2.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 8, 2023