Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't finish a campaign.

Every time I see a somewhat equally-matched army and it runs away from me every goddamn turn and if I try to engage they decide to withdraw instead. I'm waiting for mods (specifically the home region movement bonus mod), this loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been trying to bait with ambush stance and it very rarely works because the AI isn't as easily baited, it seems, as in TWWH2. I wonder if it has to do with the VH campaign setting?

Maybe I'm just lucky, I usually sit in the nearby forest for 70% ambush chance but I have yet to get a single ambush and I'm about finished with my Kislev campaign.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are you using a solo lord as bait next to the ambush? if a random agent doesn't ruin the ambush early it should be a juicy target for the AI to go after.

Oh poo poo good point, I just put an ambush near a tiny little settlement but the AI is probably a lot more reticent to try and take a single settlement now since minor settlements aren’t just field battles. But if there’s a solo lord as bait, the AI will think it gets to gobble them up in a field battle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really don't like fighting out and besieging minor settlement maps. It really should just be an open field battle, but defenders get 2 towers and some deployables or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AI made a doomstack, or whatever you want to call it, of Feral Mammoths. 14 feral mammoths, some champions and fimir, and a Lord and, like, a hero. I was really worried but actually they're complete pushovers. 3 died on approach before engaging "lines"

The far more dangerous enemy was the champions. Armored Kossars are just really weak it seems. Like, extremely flimsy. But Tzar guard are brick walls.

Kislev is very weird.

Excited to try Grand Cathay and play as The Correct Sibling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think cavalry get stuck inside enemy units a lot easier than monsters. Maybe it’s because of their shape?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

orangelex44 posted:

It’s not mass. The reason cav feel weird is that cavalry charges don’t do damage; attack animations do. It’s unintuitive that a charge that bowls over an entire company is often worse than one that leaves the units on their feet.

Yeah this does drive me nuts. A charge into the rear of an enemy that launches them 30 feet doesn’t do poo poo for damage. Sometimes when cavalry chase dudes down that are retreating it takes them forever to actually kill them because they’re knocking them over constantly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minotaurs are the best charging units in the game. They move at 20000 speed and instantly gib every unit that isn’t a Minotaur

Every single horse unit is extremely unwieldy.

Make cavalry extremely fragile to counterbalance a powerful charge I guess, ugh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want to conquer chaos as Empire, playing with mods

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they call it immortal empires for WH3

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zzulu posted:

Age of Sigmar at least tried to add some women to the "huge bulky super armored warrior" faction

To be honest I don't know why we don't get cool Chaos Champions looking like that as well ^

That’s cool I wish they did more poo poo like that. Too many dudes running around hoggin all the armor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly I'm just salty as poo poo that TWWH3 doesn't run as well as TWWH2 and I don't have mod support and immortal empires. If they just had chaos rifts, new factions, and the diplomacy changes in TWWH2's ME campaign I'd be pretty dang happy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Onmi posted:

And for Kostaltyn, he doesn't really have a 'stack' he buffs, but on a Great Orthodoxy playthrough, all Patriarchs. They're functionally immortal.

Turns out in order to defeat chaos they just need about 20 extremely gross, extremely dirty, extremely drunk Russian mystics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scandalous posted:

Recently weird old man following Tzarina around with noisy book say Tzar Boris still alive inside giant crystal prison at Frozen Falls.

“Tzarina, darling, get me out of this wack-rear end crystal prison”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like Lizardmen should be fighting the hell out of Chaos and not farting around in the desert

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rifts On/Off would be a good toggle. It’s not like you need to gently caress with Chaos you could just send an invading army in and have it randomly drop you off somewhere around the world where you can get to conquering, fighting a hopefully fun enemy. It’s annoying when you get to a point where your main enemy is, like, your own faction. Let me teleport off to the thunder dome, dang

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cathay Caravan should have been a ripoff of Oregon trail but instead of hunting, you manually aim a cannon and need to kill ogres in an AI vs. AI battle

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played a bit of vanilla TWWH2 and man it is just so much smoother. Kinda frustrating tbh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And also just, like, performance-wise. It’s significantly smoother in TWWH2.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

ah i understand the whole sex thing with slaanesh now

Yeah it's definitely not anything but the most base pursuit of dopamine conducted by people who are more meth than man.

Noise marines are basically the best example of "Slaanesh"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d like to have a lot more starting supply for sieges

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wouldn't mind the AI being suicidal as long as it has a full stack. I've got vague memories from Rome 1 where the AI would attack with a couple of peasant units and that sucks, but as long as there's a full army then they should just go for it no matter the odds.

We play these games to have battles not to pass turns waiting for the AI to build siege equipment or to chase them around the map.

I'd like for siege maps and settlement battles to go. It's been, what, 12 years now? They can't get the AI to work and they're never ever going to. They're fine for multiplayer but they don't and have never worked in campaign. Scrap 'em. Make some defensive terrain battles where the defender starts out with a good position near a choke point or something.

I know it'll never happen from CA's side but maybe someone can mod them out.

Yeah, honestly giving defenders a choke point is a more than sufficient advantage. Add a tower or two and it’s gonna be similarly insurmountable with even a token Garrison.

They can even have the choke point be presented as a ruined part of a wall, so the defenders are protecting the invaders who are attacking through a “breach” in a massive wall. Towers are still firing the whole time, of course.

Like, every Warhammer game shows exactly that playing out: a bunch of humans get chopped up by orcs or chaos demons or whatever that break a hole in a wall and invade through it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The big reveal is that every faction is Tzeentch magic/disguise, and we’ve been fighting in the realms of chaos since TWWH1

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The realms are a good way to get a fuckload of money as Kislev because you won’t be getting much money otherwise

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm surprised they haven't said much about performance, the game gets substantially lower FPS than WH2 despite having mostly the same settings.

I feel like kind of out of nowhere new games have been exceedingly unoptimized on PC. Elden Ring, Stranger of Paradise, and TWWH3 are all pretty terribly optimized.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just like Archaon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To defeat LegendOfTotalWar you must become LegendOfTotalWar, as the prophecy foretold

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like cavalry despite it being SuBoPtImAl but holy poo poo does it suck during sieges and settlements. There's no room to maneouver and you get stuck on everything

Yeah they’d probably be better served being given an option to step off the horse to be reclassified as infantry with +10 MA/MD or some poo poo so they’re useful in a siege. Usually I just send them out to die in front of the towers so they can help the towers nab some more kills.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I fight less field battles since the AI just bails when they’re not able to absolutely crush my dudes. Launching without any mod support is my biggest issue. TWWH1 launched with a few mods made by CA, like the “resettle anywhere” mod.

Twigand Berries posted:

This is actually my "oops I left Tzeentch alive" strategy.

All according to plan

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

The button up top right, the faction button. Then down right for rename button.

Today someone dropped a mod allowing diplomacy between all factions (no chaos auto war)

I am into it. Warhammer’s end goal is the United Nations establishing a lasting peace, lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How can the Bastion incur attrition while it’s besieged? That’s really stupid

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved all the promotional art of Franz swooping in on some orcs for TWWH1

And the one with Franz flying to Lustria.

Basically I just like Franz flying around.

Also the Empire trailer for TWWH1 was just loving excellent.

I really like playing Empire.

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 25, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gort posted:

You can't post like this without posting the images, it's just not cricket

Hell yeah

The good poo poo

https://youtu.be/HyU_1-Py0dA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Empire vs. Orcs is a funner and cooler time than vampire poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SteelMentor posted:

With regards to artillery, I think it might have to do with how the Grand Cannon/Little Grom/Ironblaster's animations have to factor in the beastie pulling them as compared to artillery of prior games being pushed into position. Noticed a lot of the time when my pieces aren't firing, they're turning around at random chasing their tail or need slightly shimmying to unstick them, hopefully the unit responsiveness fixes will help.

Only piece I've noticed that doesn't suffer this as often is the Cathay Rocket Battery, maybe due to how it arcs more dramatically, though that has its own problems of suddenly not arcing and obliterating any poor unit just in front of it.

The oxen should be on either side of the artillery then

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, most importantly, you need to be given a certain amount of move speed bonus to chase down enemies who are right at the edge of your range

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZeusJupitar posted:

One of the big Chaos mods for wh2 implemented blue horrors via the dying blow mechanic from dwarf slayers. Whenever a pick horror dies two blues appear, swing at the enemy once and then disappear.

That’s perfect

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Behold the alchemical might of Cathay

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just put defensive siege battles as either open fields with towers or a single choke point (like a river) with towers. Please stop trying, CA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Workshop has just the best lols