Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lord Kroak does an excellent job of being a absolutely terrifying mage without peer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Katarina is a fun start. You have a relatively calm start as you try to ready yourself as much as possible and then the demons start coming and you have to get used to fighting on multiple fronts at the same time to hold the line and try to find ways to expand for both exp and resources.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Playing as Katarin and I can't remember the last time I had a quiet turn. Everything feels like it on fire or about five seconds away from blowing up unless I deal with it right now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I feel the Slaneesh rewards are a bit too much. I don't think they should nerf them though, but maybe give them some slightly more severe downsides to go with.

Then no one will ever take them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Are we going to get regiments of renown in this game? I missed being able to have an 'elite' variant of each unit that had some fun gimmick.

They will come with the dlc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thing is I like a lot of what they have done. I can’t remember the last time a total war game forced me to adapt and improvise so late into the campaign. Outside of the issue with plagues and tzeentch bullshit there is little I would complain about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is essentially the Kislev experience in all its glorious bullshit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

XCOM2 doesn't take you to a fail state though. If the bar fills up it just gives you a special mission to make the bar go down.

No. If the bar fills up and you are unable to bring it down in 2 in game weeks you lose.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It is incredibly easy to just leave a couple bar reduction missions on the map while you do whatever and if you get into the "win or lose" countdown, you just go beat one and not only push the bar back but also reset your doomsday counter.

That was changed so that the progress on the counter stays.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Khornate warriors with Nurgle's vanguard-deploy plague is pretty loving mean too.

Khorne can get that as part of their tech tree

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, its weird since its behind a tech that says it only gives vanguard to the flesh hounds which is completely useless since they already have vanguard. I wonder if the description is completely wrong, but the tech is working as intended or if its bugged somehow and giving the entire roster vanguard when it should only be a unit or two. Either way, its pretty fun lining up your entire army like 30 feet in front of the enemy right before the battle. Poor bastards never stood a chance

Going by text files for different translations it is working as intended.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not speaking for Azran, but yes being able to build towers mid-fight is extremely obnoxious. You should get to place a few pre-battle and thats it, if that. The whole "generate supply points during the battle" thing is just really .... out there? It doesnt make any sense to me. I give zero fucks about how defensive sieges are affected by the change because I fight one defensive siege for every twenty offensive sieges and I'm burned the gently caress out on doing tedious painful grindy repetitive offensive sieges. 3K did sieges extremely well and CA took *zero* lessons from it.

What lessons from 3K sieges?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Minor settlements had 'unique' maps based on the minor settlement type - mines were different than farms were different than ports ect. They had set points that had little archer towers already existed, and those towers had little control points near them that were not as obnoxious to take (took less time, the towers couldnt shoot you while you took them). The towers were not absurdly tall, could not be rebuilt, did not have insane range, and could be shot by artillery or archers with flaming arrows to be disabled (1 for 4 here in WH3). They also didnt have any blockers so that the towers could not inexplicably not shoot something like happens in WH3.

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the major settlement battles, but they just.... feel better. It feels like there are plays and counter-plays without anything being obnoxious. The defender could put a few barricades down before the battle starts to help control the flow of the battle in the city, but couldnt build them on the fly. I'm too fried to think of anything else to say about it but there is just something about them that is way less taxing and tedious than any TWWH siege I've done.

Thing is I have played 3k a lot and did have a lot of fun with sieges as the defender. As the attacker though anything past like turn 15 or so they all go the same with artillery just slowly moving up and tearing through everything before sending in the troops to clean it up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thats fair. Its probably just personal preference on my part. Part of it is that I think you can do sieges without artillery better. If you have cav you can send them to the other side of the city to draw some defenders that direction while your infantry take the walls and that kind of stuff that really doesnt work in WH3.

Fair enough. Personally if I was to take anything from 3K it would be to make them more willing to take field battles and actually attack settlements much sooner instead of just waiting them out.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this would be a matter for a lawyer in terms of NDAs.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are issues with it but with 2k hours combined between the last two warhammer games, I easily had the most fun with 3 and my first Katarina campaign. Yes the plague stuff is bullshit and Tzeentch poo poo if a right pain in the rear end but it is also the first time I have ever felt threatened by the AI outside of the early game. The portal race is a bit more complicated but they nailed two of the four realms and the only one that needs a serious rework is Tzeentch.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With the minor settlements it is all econ/defense and with major settlements there is enough space to go eco and grab a couple recruitment buildings.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jokes was making a joke about playing 2 instead of 3 because the sieges in 2 are better.

They really weren't.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

I always found it frustrating that AI Ikit only has a single nuke and can't build more. The AI doesn't engage with any workshop mechanics, right?

You really want to deal with that more then once?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/developer-diary-a-preview-of-update-1-3/

Here are some of the highlights beyond the expected replenishment and lord skill reworks.

7 more RoR
Get a notification when an army reaches the forge of souls.
Tzeentch realm rework (No longer lose action points when interacting with points of interest and the AI now has to teleport 8 times to reach the end)
Tzzentch changing of the ways rework (Minor factions can't use it and an increased timer on abilities for the AI to use it)
Attrition Plagues have been reworked.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I don't think it lies, I think it's visually imprecise. I got into a habit of always leaving like 5% more than necessary and never ran into a problem.

The issue is that when you start adding movement bonuses to lords it does start to fail.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lol, uhh, have I done that before? I was genuinely confused at the time and only realized after. I'm married to an editor so I've learned to watch for the little details :shepface:

I certainly have. It doesn't help that both of them like going out there and meeting new friends.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cannibal Llama posted:

Make a 4 lord pack for the Vampire Counts. They only had a single DLC so they deserve it the most.

Actually I guess technically Norsca could use one too but I have no idea what they could do for lords.

Vampire Counts have as many lords as the Empire so they are not suffering here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also Norsca should do better now that they have friends to depend on who start on the map.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

I wish there was a mod that gave us back the risk style map, speaking of newer total war stuff that sucks

It has been about 20 years since they ditched the risk maps.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 23, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

This is a fun sync kill

That is horrifying and amazing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Settra literally in universe only came short of killing Nagash himself because a chaos god's whisper made it sound like he would be serving their interests as well by doing it and Settra does not serve so he jumped into a fuckin chaos rift to gently caress up the gods themselves as revenge.

I think we all know who runs things.

It is more that he hosed Nagash up badly and promised that he would be next after taking on the Chaos Gods who dared to imply that he would serve them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do they have four hands?

They just incorporate juggling in their move sets.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I havent seen it mentioned before and now I'm curious.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1554477761795969026?s=21&t=LJdHkeBeQBP2gTX7H9JubA

It is his brother's face/helmet.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I desperately wish this was the case in any way, shape, or form beyond "we ported over the visible diplomacy numbers".

In general allies and diplomacy feels like it makes more sense. It will take messing around with Immortal Empires to really see how much was changed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I disagree. When playing release WH3 I found the diplomatic AI as bad or worse than WH2, I could just see the numbers about why they were being obtuse fuckwads.

That doesn't surprise me considering we had two completely different experiences whilst playing the same faction.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weren't we on different difficulties because I hated how AR results were tied to your campaign difficulty and I hate the new settlement battles so I played on Normal for the first time in like 3 years? Not that that would make that big of a difference, I guess? I also think I'm ornery about it because I want the AI to be more logical about confederation - in WH3 I found it even more steeply tied to the faction's army strength.

Then that is just real bad luck as on Very Hard I had none of the issues with confederation/diplomacy that ou did.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, you can do this. But it doesn't come from his skill tree, it comes from his body part selection and how you progress through his Glory tree. There are probably other strategies than this, but as an example, one of the absolute strongest tactics for Daniel is to go Khorne focused but make sure you have enough Glory of Nurgle to access the plague system so that you can use the Grey Ague or whichever one it is to give the army vanguard deployment. Khorne armies with vanguard for everyone is an incredibly powerful trick and something Skarbrand explicitly cannot do.

Well not anymore. God that was some hilariously stupid bullshit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Wait, what!? Do any other colleges have mounts other than horse and pegasus?

Desire to know more intensifies

Pretty sure it is just Amber wizards. Outside of Lizards they are very careful about giving heroes monstrous mounts for their heroes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twigand Berries posted:

is that lipstick or

It is blood being used as lipstick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I hope when they add a fourth Khorramshahr lord they take the time and figure out a bonus besides “keeps going after attacking”. It’s a good bonus, but all 3 Khorramshahr lords have the bonus in some form or way.

I mean it is their big thing that they can keep on going after a fight.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was absolutely gorgeous and I do like them taking advantage of demons to spice up starts because they need barely any justification to be anywhere.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

99pct of germs posted:

CA really hosed Malekith. Valkia to the north, Grombrindal to your west and your starting province got hacked down to 2 settlements(!!). Woof.

Good. I got sick of dealing with him pretty much every game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Yeah my point is that Ghorst being overpowered in MP is a completely separate from him being "overpowered" in campaign.

I would not want to encounter his faction playing as Skarbrand in campaign though.

Why? Ghorst does look strong but I am not sure what in his toolkit would make him terrifying for a player controlled Skarbrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

The zombies regenerate 50 life per second in melee with basically no healing cap so if the AI blobs up like it usually does only the Blade of Khorne will be able to kill them.

The AI only blobs up if you send in Skarbrand first and if you are doing that you are aiming him right at Ghorst.