Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't see his hat, brutally cunning like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If nagash is supposed to have control over all the undead you could probably make a fun faction based around nicking undead, and possibly lords, from the other undead factions. Like your objectives are to conquer and take control of the other undead factions and as you do you get access to more of their rosters.

Would be a fun bit of the map to fight over IMO, from nagashizzar up north to the empire and south to nehekara.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's odd watching the skrag start and how massive the mountains are when they're barely a tiny province on the ME map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just rivers of delicious cherry pop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's magic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal regeneration is very good on units that don't die immediately, so giving any unit a special, deathless pool of HP that can regenerate, is going to be fairly busted, even if you try to make it conditonal, unless you make it so conditional that it never happens, it's going to necessarily become the entire focus of the unit because a unit that can just not take HP damage is a unit that becomes worth many times its cost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thought it would be a good idea to update drivers and apparently I was like a full 100 versions behind lol.

Hopefully it doesn't run too bad, TW2 looks great and runs fine so hopefully I can at least set it to look like that.

Tirranek posted:

Any idea how much wiggle room it will need to unpack? I managed to get about 130gb free on the SSD.

You can move installs between drives in steam so if you need to you can install it initially on a plate drive and presumably then move it over afterwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know that because I had to move some stuff around to try and make room but no way I can make room on the SSD, but I was also running TW2 on the plate drive so eh, at least it has a rematch button now.

PC's starting to show its age but lmao at buying new parts at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JBP posted:

What's wrong with them

The mandalore vid touched on them too, I think it's part of the art style shift, I'm not sure if I quite like it tbh, I really liked the style in TW2 but we will see if this one grows on me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man the load times are really bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm also getting this really annoying audio glitch where the sound keeps stuttering in and out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh they added in the different public order level effects from SFO, that's nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The kislev roster feels very... samey. Everything is both ranged and melee, so there's really not much differentiation, it's just a whole army of lothern sea guard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The game is running fine for me with a Geforce 960 but I wanged my inner ear and have constant vertigo so can't play for more than 15 mins or so at a time.

If you can get it OTC, cinnarazine might help with that, I take it when I get an ear infection and it suppresses the dizziness, used for seasickness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

No performance problems on my 1080ti but for some reason the UI is more fuzzy at 1440p than it is in WH2

I've been noticing that too actually, on 1080p but everything feels slightly blurry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Restarted as cathay and I think I like them more than kislev, the ying yang stuff is interesting cos it makes units that otherwise might be a bit meh, quite good if you position them properly. I think I am going to want some sky lanterns just so they can buff my melee infantry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know if I think they're weird, they're just lothern sea guard the faction, they're less weird and just seemingly very boring because every unit does every thing so you just get as many of them and the best ones you can and then throw them at the enemy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How do you form a confederation outside of beating a faction down? I don't see any option for it on the diplomacy screen.

In WH2 not all factions can confederate, but it should be on there at the bottom with alliances, NAPs etc.

AnEdgelord posted:

now that I think about it maybe its just the gunpowder units throwing me, they're so insanely short ranged compared to the ice guard, I just built the building for ice guard so maybe its time to transition to full stacks of them with some little groms to taste

Put the armoured kossars at the front (or streltsi, presumably, direct fire still) and put the archers behind, but you can also just mash them all into the enemy if you want or when you run out of ammo.

I think you probably still want some armoured units just to eat enemy missile fire and do AP damage, but you can probably spam any unit and it would work, such is the nature of ranged/melee hybrids. Also ice guard are very strong generally and katarin gets them cheap so maybe she wants a full stack.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 18, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Eagerly awaiting the mod that turns off settlement battles. I can appreciate what they're going for but man, the only battles I ever like in TW games are big open field battles where I can mash big army against big army. I don't want to play DOTA splitting my army up and sending them up 3 different lanes past towers :( Totally breaks up the flow of the game. Sure I can autoresolve them but minor settlement battles are like... 90% of all of the battles in TW3, lmao

My suggestion would be not to try and attack from multiple directions, bulk your forces on one side and send your cav or a light flanking force to capture the rear objectives for the momentum buffs/draw some of their troops away, and spend most of your time to hammer down the enemy in one spot.

It makes it more like a field battle too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't bother trying to keep harmony perfect, just keep it close, you don't get the max bonus but you still get some.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh right, in that case you only need one ranged with your front line and sky units count, failing that celestial dragon crossbows are pretty tough and it's worth throwing one in with your melee line to just give them the big buffs.

If needs be you can partition off your line into squads with a few melee dudes and one ranged dude.

E: oh and keep a hero/lord near each block, as they improve overall harmony bonuses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 18, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's some fun new items.

A shame I don't have a fire wizard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man tzeench is loving broken, everything just deletes you with fireballs, only counter seems to be having more firepower than they do.

Lord Koth posted:

That seems insanely strong for a Tzeentch playthrough, and really good for a Khorne one (just look at how many of their high tier units and heroes deal flaming damage). Also maybe convincing someone on an Ogre playthrough to actually use Firebellies.

Not much use for anyone else at the moment though.

I got it from sending a caravan to altdorf, so I don't know if it's available for other factions or if you can capture it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Ah, if it's one of the trade caravan rewards that's somewhat unfortunate. It's not completely useless for Cathay, but it's not incredibly useful either. There's one spell in Lore of Yang (Dragon's Breath) and their artillery (both pieces plus the Sky-Junk), but that's it in terms of fire damage. Though I guess that keeps it somewhat balanced as opposed to having it accessible to one of the factions with extensive access to fire.

Not sure how to reasonably test if it's droppable either, since I've gotten the impression the AI doesn't really use the trade caravans and thus doesn't get those special items. Which leaves testing if your own lord losing with it drops to their opponent. Find a friend and test in a H2H campaign, I guess?

The AI has a bunch of caravans running around, but I don't know if they get the same rewards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure dad, I'll go capture Iron Storm, what's the wall for again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

Re: minor settlement towers:

You can seriously just ignore the towers as long as you keep advancing. They will hurt you a bit, but unless you're on a knife's edge for victory or defeat the damage they do will absolutely not tip the scales. For reference I left a peasant bowman unit standing still in range of a cathay tower for like a full minute and a half because I forgot about it since I was microing on three fronts and the unit only lost like 2/3rds of its members before breaking and running.

The general theme of TWW3 settlement battles seems to be that you're always intended to take some degree of damage from tipping a town over, unlike in TWW1 and 2 where it was really, really easy to not.

I think the big issue with them is that the piercing towers are sort of equally good at killing very expensive units and very cheap ones, so they hurt more if they focus on a high end unit, and their range lets them countersnipe quite effectively. That said you can knock them down with a couple of arrow volleys so you can do that too. This is also why I tend to favour putting most of the force in one place because pushing forward is difficult, so it's generally preferable I think to try and crush the bulk of the enemy in one attack, so you aren't getting attritioned as they fall back (and they do fall back, as well as placing units in likely choke points to prevent you spreading out from your initial attack location and they will bring those in as reserves once you commit)

Honestly I'm finding the siege AI surprisingly good, I think on the whole it is better than TW2 and that's extra impressive given the complexity of the new maps. They seem a bit scatterbrained sometimes but I definitely feel like they are trying for some semblance of a thematic defence where they respond to you relatively well and will try to give ground as you take sections and set up more defences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't build stuff in enemy settlements, it just blows up all their stuff and gives you a "momentum" buff which increases map wide attack value for your units and I think some vigor bonuses?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to put them all into one street but I would focus on at least one side, if you can quickly flank by a neighbouring route that's good but if you're forced into a small bottleneck then so is the enemy, and you don't have the disadvantage of divided attention that the AI doesn't suffer from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

I thought there was supposed to be 3Ks autoformations when you click and drag but it doesn't seem to be a thing

Also that it was meant to save your last formation with that army and its not doing that either. Am I crazy?

It does the save last formation thing sometimes, but I don't think it does it in settlement battles, and I don't know how well it interacts with modifying the army comp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canada jezus posted:

Empire or dwarfs for Kislev allies? Unit wise i mean. I kind of feel like i want 4 thunderers.

Other than tanks I can't really see what the empire would offer you, as kislev already has human level armour, guns, and artillery.

Whereas dwarfs could give you poo poo like gyrocopters, irondrakes, ironbreakers etc, frankly I always wish I had dwarf infantry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

Can anyone with an average computer who ran WH2 fine on say medium settings give some feedback on how WH3 performs? If it's a lot worse I might hold fire till some optimization patches.

My 1060 is handling it OK, some of the maps seem very unoptimized but it looks nice enough and runs well enough for the most part. Little bit worse I think, but far from unplayable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I like the different faction campaign mechanics and some of the general additions to the campaign a lot more than I do the unit rosters tbh, but then I also really liked the SFO campaign layer and found the base TW2 one dull as ditchwater.

Haven't started the chaos realms stuff yet so we will see how annoying that is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Maps probably work better on smaller sizes but I would never elect to have less mans

I think honestly with the size of the settlement maps you want as many mans as possible because you could probably fit three or four armies on most of them no trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

re: negative trait recovery, apparently the anti-skaven buildings also add that functionality and I'm not sure if it stacks with province capital effects?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like one change I would like to the minor settlements is if a tower is destroyed, it should take progressively longer to rebuild in that location.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From my brief time playing them, kislev appears to be able to produce an infinite amount of furs so I guess find lots of people who want to buy fur off you :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the barricades but the towers feel like whack a mole, and disproportionately annoy your valuable units too.

They don't really stop you from winning the battle but they do make it more likely you're going to have to stop for a few turns to replace some key unit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it seems like there are a number of specific framerate problems related to some maps and graphical elements.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anything I think my issue with settlement attacks is that the AI is surprisingly good at defending them, they aren't always great at using all their units perfectly optimally but they certainly do well enough to make them really annoying to fight.

I think the only thing that would make me want to return to WH2 is that I still really like the SFO balancing and economy, but I think this is much better than baseline WH2 even accounting for the fact that I don't enormously like the factions that much other than cathay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that cathay can recruit level 9 units from the bastion lol. Also the level 6 peasants you can get easily are decent too.