Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I'm very excited to play this video game. I'm going to recruit so much melee infantry and nobody can stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Finished Mandalore's review and I'm pretty on-board with most of his complaints. I really hope the siege stuff he showed off was just bad luck or perhaps a funny prank CA decided to pull specifically on him because it didn't look that bad in any of Janet's videos.

Also yeah wow, the blood DLC is gonna be so much more aggravating this time considering what any base-game Khorne map looks like.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I survived the Rome II launch, I can survive this. And besides I'm sure I'll be too busy having fun getting owned by daemons to notice anything less than literally gamebreaking

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Gonna mod each ogre unit to 160 models :getin:

An enemy that might finally be able to get Grimgrog to half health

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

JBP posted:

Same for me. Making a strong core territory and sending armies out to fight and damage/destroy my enemies without having to conquer some random hole in the ground that monsters lived in feels good to me.

Yeah the Bretonnia campaign, essentially. Once my homelands are settled I'm just going to go fight cool battles against weirdos on the other side of the world. The 'map painting' stage goes hand-in-hand with the 'autoresolve every battle' stage and that's when I hit up the main menu and start something new.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grumio posted:

I was impressed with Mandalore's review, he was fair in pointing out some of the game's shortcomings.

I didn't hear him use the "Marv getting electrocuted" sound anywhere though, so the whole video must therefore be condemned

*smugly scoffs at post* I see someone doesn't watch the credits

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Holy poo poo that harp guy rules

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Pretty sure my computer's crapping out the day before Warhammer 3 launches which is one hell of a nasty Tzeentchian prank. All these like red lines running across the screen which, sure, will certainly enhance the mood of Khornate battles but isn't exactly preferable. I'm tech illiterate so if this sounds fixable to anyone else please let me know! :(

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mordja posted:

For real, do none of you have sick days or something?

Not to waste on a literal video game, but I do work from home and I have nothing but clerical work to do tomorrow so you better believe I'll be sticking it to the man (by playing a literal video game)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Kislev factions still say 'Kislev.' in the diplomacy screen. This is the best game

Also managed to get Katarin killed in my first siege battle, underestimated those towers

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mordja posted:

Sure enough, TWW3 is already the biggest launch in the Warham series, hitting over 130K concurrence already, more than either previous game. Gonna install it now and see how it runs on my 1070 given all the Steam performance complaints (probably mostly from people on generations-old cards trying to run it on max). I'm seeing that low fog and FXAA instead of TAA can make a big difference.

To be honest I'm running it on my pre-historic 960 and while it's obvious not amazing it's also not painful in anyway. A little slow in the big fights but otherwise fine

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Been so long since I played without a 'Less Agents' mod and boy oh boy I can't wait for that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you manage Kislev's devotion minigame? Your opponent ticks up overtime but you can only get points while the invocation is running, which needs devotion, and you're losing both in the early game because you're fighting kislevites

is the answer that it's bad because I feel like that's the answer

The Church building chain generates supporters. So in addition to those gained from the Invocations you can also start gaining a steady income of supporters. That being said Rasputin absolutely kicked my rear end early in my Katarin campaign, I only got ahead because he never expanded beyond his starting province while I head tier 3 churches in every minor settlement.

Edit: Thematically it kinda makes sense that it's harder for Katarin because she's not supposed to be very popular, still kind of a pain because those diplomacy bonuses are great in the early game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Smaller unit sizes means less Nurglings in each company therefore Ultra is objectively the correct way to play the game and your processor can take it up with the Devil in Hell

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Wish there was a dedicated 'Switch Weapons' button for hybrid units or archers or whatever. Alt-click is fine but even so a toggle would be nice

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
There are tutorial exclusive units? That's weird

Also play Normal battle difficulty so you don't have to worry about the optimal way to play. Just have fun battles with cool diverse armies

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! So it’s less about overall army composition and more about proximity

Yep! You'll see the Yin/Yang symbol above the company's banner change depending on if they're in harmony or not.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
In both my Kislev campaigns so far I've ended up in twenty-turn hellwars with Skrag's massive empire to the south. Spent like five turns fighting my way through Ogres to try and relieve the endless siege of Altdorf.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I like the minor settlements themselves, but I'd be happy to lose the barricades and towers side of things. I don't think the AI really understands how that works and so attacking settlements is just kinda embarrassing.

Edit: Kislev's economy in the homeland is fairly good, use the market stall chain in the three big cities to boost the market chain in the minor settlements. Boris is kinda hard mode though, as no matter what he's stuck with the minor settlement building chains. Even with the magic trees I don't find farms to make much money, though the growth and recruitment cost decrease are nice instead.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 19, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Eimi posted:

Fortunately when mods come out that should be a relatively easy fix. Make the supply cost to build them 9999 so they basically can't be made.

Here's hoping! Because these maps all look great and I've been waiting more than a decade for Total War AI to really figure out city fighting. It's not always hopeless, I've had a lot of fun fights. But something about those capture zones seems to trip them up.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cardboard Fox posted:

The Empire is useless down south spamming me with requests to join their war against the vampires. My dudes, all 4 chaos gods are coming for us, I think Mannfred can wait.

Accurate to Kislev's experience in the lore at least

Dandywalken posted:

Had a friend send plague drones after a fleeing enemy lord, and 8 of the 9 would almost get there then they all would turn back and go to the one stuck in melee. Really illustrated the formation/clumping issue well imo.

Shame that's still the same, it happens all the time with Pegasus Knights to the point that I just never use them.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

Can i make a confession? I'd pay for a super scripted campaign made in the image of the tutorial. It was fun. Give me immortal empires and then total war lite warcraft edition CA please.

I said this in the last thread and got owned for it but I totally agree! More mini-campaigns with DLCs would be great because unlike Warhammer 1 they could make them good this time. It's a really weird situation that the tutorial prologue for a game all about recruiting armour-piercing ranged units was actually a fairly well-done narrative?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Toxxfarter is my rereg name

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bloodly posted:

Is there anything special about Ostermark?

They have the best colour scheme of the Empire so that's gotta count for something

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else paid some attention to the dragon-blooded lord's close combat attacks? They're pretty wild

I'm consistently amazed at all the high-quality animation work they put in when most players never actually get a chance to see much of it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I'm having a lot of fun with Kislev myself. Armoured Kossars have pretty good guns but I've mostly been using them as footslogging melee infantry while I use Winged Lancers and Gryphon Legion to own any nerds that the boys can't handle. Also really enjoy Streltsi and Ice Guard.

I honestly didn't think I'd like Kislev because armour piercing ranged units are the video game equivalent of Ambien for me. But after my extremely stupid rear end was introduced to the 'melee mode' button that has existed for more than a decade (thanks again poster who told me about that!) I'm all for it. Katarin's a good character - though Kostaltyn seems cooler in cutscenes, where he's a calm religious guy, as opposed to the screaming maniac that he is in the actual game.

Plus I find it really fun trying to hold Kislev together. The Norscans keep pouring through the border and getting owned, while the Daemon Prince keeps crossing the ocean to kick my rear end. Plus Skrag in the south and Skaven in Hellpit. Lot's of varied enemies to fight.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I wish allied units from outposts kept their original faction colouring, would be a neat touch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Loving almost everything so far, but they really gotta get the AI to march out and fight more open battles. I can trick them out with ambushes or get lucky and catch them in forced march, but it's so rare to have a single enemy army walk up to my own army and fight a cool battle.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ah oops, had it on a hard drive instead of SSD, should be better on the SSD.

A warpfire thrower unit would do wonders for Nurgle's lineup.

I'm also holding out hope that CA will (eventually) make different chaos spawn models instead of the current palette swap.
Dunno about CA doing that, though to be fair their free updates are always great so I wouldn't totally write it off, but you just know some reskin modder is already working even before mod tools. Hopefully that Hooveric guy because I like his work.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Are those Kislev secret police guys still around? I think they called them Chetniks which I think was a collaborator group during WW2 so that's a choice. Anyway give Kostaltyn a bunch of those guys to break heads and disappear witches.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Kislev's Patriarch's have some pretty hilarious voice acting, it's great.

Any updates or (hopefully) news about modding in the last few days? Been a little distracted

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I like Armoured Kossars a lot. Their guns seem good and they can go at it with fellow Kislevites and Norscans pretty well so they're fine for most of the early enemies. Khorne especially seems to own me when I use a lot of them but then his guys are all about tearing through infantry anyway so probably just me being bad.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Did he actually say he was 'betrayed' by CA? Lmfao this guy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
I haven't had any trouble confederating as Kislev but I assume that is a campaign difficulty thing. And once I can get a mod that disables towers and barricades I'll be perfectly happy with sieges honestly. I just feel like the AI can't handle dynamic battlefield changes well at all.

Wish the Realms had been rarer and shorter, and rather than having to do all four you could just steal a soul from another faction by kicking their rear end. Overall I'm still pretty happy with this and the quality of life stuff alone means I'm never going back to Warhammer 2.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Crazy how long Radious mods were held up as must-haves by Total War fans, they're all so bad

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vagabong posted:

I think its just a product of intertia, along with older games having more tight unit rosters making a mod that just dumps a whole bunch of variants more appealing.

Yeah true, I guess adding in dozens of units doesn't wreck stuff quite as much in spearmanii games.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Was a very strange choice not to give the souls unique bonuses. More growth and replenishment for Nurgle, more weapon strength and melee attack for Khorne, etc. Just seems like an easy choice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
You can change the friend/foe colours to basically anything you want in the options menu and you can turn off outlines in battle with the spacebar menu. Little things but there you go.

Anyway game stills rules. Obviously I'm looking forward to the Big Map and mods and some patches (especially the patches tbh) but I'm really enjoying the hectic pace and constant re-prioritising. I have no problem with losing every now and then in a video game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Captain Beans posted:

hmm anyone got suggestions for effective unit choices when fighting ogre vs ogre? i seem to take the most casualties when fighting other ogre factions. obviously this is because ogres are da best but i'm hoping to make only MY ogres da best.

I don't remember if ogres have an armour-piercing ranged unit but if they do that's the answer. It's always the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Streamers should absolutely unionise but that would only be to cut better deals and - more importantly - protect themselves from exploitation by Twitch or Youtube or Blip.tv or whatever. Being really good at pressing the 'recruit armour-piercing ranged units' button doesn't make you a CA employee so I don't understand how there would be a relationship in this case at all.

All the same, streamers/Youtubers/(ugh) influencers certainly fit into an identifiable role within marketing structures, which is gross and lame. I feel like it's totally fair for them to be annoyed at being essentially responsible for a lot of the marketing (specifically that aimed at existing fanbases). Though aside from a formerly racist Australian I haven't seen any of the Youtubers getting mad about that stuff, just flaws with the actual game itself. But I haven't been looking very closely tbh