Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of Skaven, are warpfire throwers bad? They do a boatload of damage if I can get them to fire, but between their short range and forgetting to turn off skirmish mode they usually only ever get one volley off and spend the rest of the battle scurrying away from everything.

Skirmish mode off and careful micromanagement is a necessity for them, but they're a pretty powerful hammer. If you can maneuver one around to an enemy unit's flank, they'll absolutely devastate that unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Killgore Slaymaim sounds like a fella I'd want to be friends with

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Lt. Danger posted:

twin issues of: a hero on the campaign map is a hero not in an army; campaign agent actions have a sizeable failure chance

ultimately there's nothing you might want a hero to do on campaign that you can't also do with an army, for cheaper and with more utility

the failure chance gets a lot lower once you level them up a bit, especially if you specialize them by putting a few points into boosting their actions. and if you use them a lot you can get a trait making them even better at a specific action

having an assassination-focused hero following my main army around and stabbing any enemy hero that gets near is a great way to not only rein in enemy heroes, but also ensure I've got a high-level duelist hero I can toss into my army anytime if I feel like I need it

and lining up two heroes to use Breach Walls and Assault Garrison right before I start a siege is a great way to make siege battles very fast, very easy. If there's no stack parked there, it pretty much guarantees an autoresolve victory with almost zero casualties, without needing to spend even a single turn sieging first, and the resulting Sack or Loot more than pays for the cost of the hero actions. I'm knocking down walled settlements one after another

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Mustang posted:

I actually loved 3ks take on agent actions, where you deploy a character to another faction and they build up points they can use to sabotage the target faction.

Moving individual agents around definitely isn't fun gameplay anymore, especially with how numerous heroes are in WH.

Personally I hate that way of doing that, the map actors feel way more real than another invisible menu to interact with and another pool of points to fiddle with.

The problem in Warhammer is that you're gonna have 100 LLs on the IE campaign map and who knows how many minor factions. Give each of them a handful of heroes and the map is gonna be swarming with agents, which the AI will be using constantly since it doesn't care about micromanagement.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Arghy posted:

Yeah i've always been saying that campaign requires mods and people get mad. This entire argument is dumb because people can just add what i say with mods and you can install them if you want. Mixu has slayers that throw axes and they're a blast but they're still stuck with the old dwarf skeleton model so they can't do it as fluidly as other factions. They had the engineer shooting on the move for a few months but it looked janky as gently caress so hopefully they'll update the old skeletons.

Dawi are are pretty much B+ on everyones tier list with some saying they're A while others say B but we've yet to see how they'll be in TW3 and considering we'll be in beta for months its dumb to rate anything atm. Tier lists are all about skill anyhow though look at gobbo king who'd loving trounce skilled players with all gobbo builds before greenskins got overhauled because he had insane micro and knew his units.

are you speaking the same language as everyone else???

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Grinding infantry lines against each other and then waiting for five minutes for one unit to break (four minutes if you managed to flank one, three and a half minutes if you managed to full-on pincer one) is boring compared to blowing big holes in the lines with basically anything else

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
they already are, that's why they're so short

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Arghy posted:

Uh i'm not sure if you know this but green skin replenishment is way better than yours so as dawi if you've lost 50% of your unit then you'll be fighting a full strength greenskin army in a few turns while you'll be lucky to get back 10% of said unit. If you take massive casualties as in an unaided dwarf warrior vs a skulker that unit might as well have died because that AI army will replenish to full in a few turns so unless you can wipe it out to stop them from replenishing you're dead. I've had to restart multiple campaigns because of replenishment where 2 armies stay out of reach wearing your army down.

I haven't played Dawi in a while, but aren't dwarf infantry primarily known for their toughness, taking forever to grind down in a one-on-one head-on infantry battle so that their ranged have plenty of time to clean up?

Dwarf Warriors' melee defense is more than double that of Night Skulkers, and their leadership is substantially better as well. As long as you're careful not to get flanked, the dwarves shouldn't have any trouble holding out.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
My first Total War Warhammer game was with Karl because I knew absolutely nothing about Warhammer lore or anything, but as best as I could tell, Karl got the Warhammer and was probably a good beginner learn-the-game faction

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Marmaduke! posted:

What was your reaction when you got to the battle where he's all "yeah I've had this sick Warhammer all along but I've been choosing not to use it this whole time"

I don't remember if I even got his level that high

My first campaign involved getting smacked around so much I wasn't able to expand beyond Karl's home province, and couldn't even take the rest of the Empire's core lands until after the Chaos Invasion had genocided basically everything north of Altdorf, by which point I had turtled up and built up enough that I was able to take out Archaon and colonize the ruins of places like Middenheim

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah I also noticed how unimpressive Valkia appeared to be in combat. When your super fancy lord gets beat up by chaff it's quite a bad showing

I got the impression they wanted to emphasize her support aspects (via Gaze of Khorne), possibly to distinguish her from what you'd expect from a Khorne lord - after she shot up into the air, her soldiers started fighting better and pushing back their enemies. But it's crammed into like three seconds at the end because they spent so much time showing her get pummeled instead, so they just didn't deliver well on it.

And it's not like she's a dedicated support lord, either - the blog post claims she's almost as good at melee as Skarbrand is, and she's also got wings and buffs troops near her.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Regulus74 posted:

On a more serious note, though, misogyny really is a matter of mathematics.

If the four LLs were all ladies, Valkia could have such a blatant nod to her lore in the trailer - now that she's Khorne's valkyrie lady, a pile of Slaanesh dudes that once killed her just makes her get up even angrier - but we don't and she's the only woman so nothing bad* can happen to her because Women Are Different.

* nothing bad that falls outside of the formulae that dictate what is allowable, e.g. Vilitch only got one spear to the chest so every additional spear Valkia gets multiplies the misogyny. If you just learn the formula and apply it correctly, the sexism leaves your product. This is why those Czech reverse gangbang films are the most feminist pieces of art in recorded history.

:bigwhat:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Muscle Tracer posted:

Minor settlements are the poo poo. I love to have some geography and points of interest to maneuver around. It rocks and I am glad they are in the game, can't wait to see all the new faction's minor maps.

same

minor settlement battles have their issues (I feel like the lanes need to be twice as wide as they actually are) but it's still way more tactically interesting than Yet Another big open field battle

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

How! posted:

Is the mod to remove settlement battles working with IE? I had to quit after watching a pile of like 600 skaven stuck in a pile slowly feeding themselves single file into a cluster of war dancers.

isn't that basically how Skaven work all the time?

at least until the ratling guns get into position

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Calibanibal posted:

so is IE actually working now? Before I spend an hour re-torrenting and re-installing everything

there's reportedly a few bugs like quest battles not working right, but a lot of factions don't care about that and people are having a blast

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

OwlFancier posted:

They brought three flamethrowers, none of them got any kills lmao because they sent them in after the skavenslaves and they never got to shoot anybody. I think one of the reinforcing flamethrowers managed to punch a skink to death and that's it.

Yeah, I can't see the AI using flamethrowers well, their short range requires careful management

Now ratling guns on the other hand, barely even need a frontline

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

juggalo baby coffin posted:

dreadfleet also has my favourite character, skretch halfdead

his ship and its crew were eaten by a leviathan while at sea, but as their dying act ate into its organs and killed it too. a long time later count noctilus was going around raising up leviathans as zombies to use in his titular Dreadfleet, and also resurrected skretch and his crew by mistake.

they turned out to be sort of helpful so now the zombie skaven pirates sail around in their zombie whale which they upgraded with warpstone engines

everything about this is the most Skaven thing

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Do you get to keep the Vermintide army after it takes the city? That's about the only way I could see it being worthwhile.

The cost-benefit just isn't there. A weak settlement isn't really worth spending 8 turns and a big chunk of gold on taking, and a strong settlement is a massive money pile if you just leech off its income instead.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

genericnick posted:

What happens when you're allied with a crisis faction? Do they tear up all treaties?

That's how it worked in WH2. Any Norscan factions that join the Chaos Invasion would immediately feed all their treaties into the shredder and go to war with everyone, including their former allies.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im wondering what lords we can actually get for a norsca dlc now. i always thought valkia was the most likely candidate for an extra norsca lord because shes like kind of a betweener character between norsca specifically and chaos, whereas festus is a corrupted empire guy, azazel is aaancient, i think vilitch is also norscan and he was another i thought might end up with norsca.

most of the norscan guys left are either heavily aligned to one god (valnir the reaper, arbaal the undefeated, gutrot spume, scyla anfangrimm) and/or are 'generic armour chaos man'

i guess we could get slambo?

take a leaf from that one artist's book and give them a LL who's a skaven wearing a cheap Norsca disguise

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Gonkish posted:

Yeah now that Malus can heal in Tzarkan form congrats he can't be killed. He was always an absolute monster, but HOLY poo poo now he's a one-elf doomstack. Give him even a little passive regen and he will never, ever die and he can and will take on entire armies by himself.

I mean there's the usual suspects, too: Skarbrand, N'kari, Taurox, Tyrion, etc. A lot of the pure melee monsters can be boosted to absurd levels. But Malus is not only all of that.. the dude gets what amounts to a full heal on demand (if they haven't changed transforming, that is) which ALSO BUFFS THE poo poo OUT OF HIM.

Malus is highly underrated and extremely scary with some levels and gear under his belt.

The one time I tried Tomb Kings in WH2, the minor faction I started at war with somehow dragged Malus into the war and he rolled up on me just a handful of turns in

I wiped out his whole army, but couldn't quite break his leadership, and it turns out whatever regen abilities he's got can outlast eight units of skeletons slamming him from all directions :skeltal:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Serephina posted:

I mean, Brettonia's real problem is that the faction doesn't translate to Total War mechanics in the slightest. A cavalry-only faction doesn't make much sense when the basic teir1 turd with a spear counters all of their tricks. "My knights are unusually cost-effective" doesn't mean much in the single player campaign!

So we get cycle charging, ugh.

Brettonia's got a beefy hammer, but it still works best with an anvil of foot units to tie up the enemy frontline so Bret's heavy cav can go ham on their flanks and rear.

Anti-large isn't that powerful a bonus, either. It certainly allows spear infantry to punch above their weight against cavalry, but Skavenslave Spears aren't gonna go around stomping Grail Knights into the dirt.

My recent Ikit Claw game in WH2 had a few nail-biters against Brettonia because those knights would plow right through low-tier Skaven infantry and throw the backline into chaos, and the ratling guns were kept very busy defending themselves and each other. Luckily, my wars vs Bret were late enough that the lords were all riding flying mounts, and the AI would send them in right at the start when my weapons teams didn't have anything better to do than snipe them down.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Pierson posted:

Is this just a preference or what Undercities are best for? I've tried Ikit a couple of times and petered out to play other factions but will be going back eventually (guns R fun) and there's a ton of stuff about undercities IDK about.

Undercities are huge for the Skaven economy. The more money and food you can spend, the faster you can expand, and undercities can provide reasonable amounts of both (especially considering how easy they are to spread around everywhere).

In big wealthy province capitals, you can build an Undercity building that gives you half of that city's income. Everything else can be turned into farms.

Once you decide to conquer a region, you can switch the Undercity buildings in that region to ones that'll support your armies, since the Undercities will all be destroyed anyway once you take the settlements. All that food you stockpiled, aside from feeding your armies, can be used to start those occupied cities off at higher tiers.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I've seen dumb poo poo like "Decisive Victory, low casualties" but a full health unit will be lost. Like... what?

If you hover the mouse over the autoresolve button, your army lineup on the left will show how which of your units autoresolve will fully wipe out, if any

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Ikit's weapon teams are all absurd, but I prefer the ratling guns

They strike a nice balance between the long range of the jezzails and the short-but-killy range of the warpfire throwers, and the infinite ammo upgrade can make them incredibly clutch. Even after every other unit on the map has run out of ammo, they're still out there happily warcriming away.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Serephina posted:

Started an Ikit campgain in ME and I'm not really sure how this Skaven thing works. Was it was a mistake to conqueror the province to the left of Skavenblight? Money & food is tight as heck despite trying to spec the (very expensive) undercities for it. I've heard that some factions have sack economies, but the food from raiding is minimal and doesn't really progress any objectives, while sacking main settlements is painful due to the walls. Am I supposed to have some stacks of 20 slaves doing raiding for food or something?

Conversely, I full 'get' the faction for battles and it's absolutely hilarious with the AI constanly undervaluing my main stack since it has slaves in it and just tossing 2v1 stacks into the warpfire bonfires. Friendly fire never gets old, I cackle ever time.

You get a pile of food when you win a battle, so beat up enemy armies, sack their settlements (especially the minors), and either spread undercities or just loot-and-occupy. As long as you're getting into regular fights, your food should be fine even if you're running a bit in the red. Raiding can cover shortfalls during quiet times if you need to, but it's just passing the time until you get your next offensive ready. Skaven are pretty feast-or-famine.

Undercities are expensive to set up, and you might need to take it slow on expanding them, but they'll make you a lot of money and food over the long run; imo they're the core of Ikit's economy. The building that gives you 50% of a settlement's income is incredibly good if you send heroes around to put it on major faction capitals, and on tall-style factions like the wood elves. That'll give you plenty of money, so you can set most of the rest of the Undercities to food production.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Sindai posted:

Okay I literally forgot you can knock down the walls themselves because my first two games were Skarbrand and Valkia.

Guess I'll construct that artillery recruitment building asap

Knocking down the walls is really nice for ranged factions, if they can spare the artillery ammo. Gunline factions like Skaven especially love it - line of sight for direct-fire weapons is hard to manage against enemies atop the walls, but taking down the walls and then shooting through the gaps to mulch the defenders behind the wall works great for them.

Some heroes have an action that can create breaches in a settlement's walls, too. I ended up keeping a dedicated wall-breaching Chieftain around whose sole purpose was to make holes in the walls so that Ikit's lineup of ratling guns and jezzails would have easy firing lines throughout the assault.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

jokes posted:

Does it gently caress with the AR?

I don't think the AR takes it into account. It doesn't actually increase the ammo count itself any, it just gives them an ability that periodically gives them more ammo when they've got low ammo.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Deketh posted:

I've had a couple of runs at an Ikit campaign and I think I'm rolling now, turn 20 and have a decent powerbase but everyone in the area is declaring on me and there are 1 too many fronts for the single stack that I can afford. It's my first go at a Skaven campaign and I loving love the carnage they can unleash on the battle map but hopping around trying engage enemy stacks that are always juuuust out of reach and cover my territory is not the most fun gameplay. But that vibe is hardly unique to the Skaven.
The Skaven do seem to have a hard time generally though. In my first attempt, all the Skaven LLs were toast by turn 35 (recruit defeated LL mod will tell you who gets killed) and loads of minors too. By turn 20 in my current attempt it's a similar story playing out.

You can always give up some territory. As long as you can protect a built-up settlement or two and keep winning individual battles, you'll keep getting stronger. Fight money will keep your food and economy going, Ikit will keep leveling up, and you'll keep getting more warpstone for the lab.

"Give up some territory and consolidate what you can more easily defend" can be a really effective strategy in this game if you're having trouble. And it's pretty compatible with Skaven, too. You can grow your economy with undercities even without owning settlements, high Skaven corruption gives you free Menace Below charges, and the terrain around Skavenblight is a real pain in the rear end for armies that can't bypass terrain somehow.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

I dont think its a bug and I'm not trying to sit here claiming I have some unique experience that CA needs to address. I have tried unmodded single player campaigns on normal, hard, and very hard campaign difficulty and normal battle difficulty. As Ghorst I conquered 16 settlements and in that time I only got one field battle (other than the guaranteed starter battle) running around with Ghorst's starting units + filling the rest of the stack with zombies. I tried a solo game of Lokhir before playing him in a game in multiplayer and it was a very different experience. In SP the AI just sat in its towns but in the MP game the starting vsea enemy actually left its town to attack me on like turn 2 or 3 as I was advancing on their big town, and I'm not sure my first few turns played out any differently in MP compared to SP so I dont really understand what happened.

I have a bunch of friends that are not on SA that complain about the same problems of "why am I playing this game about fighting field battles when all I do is fight sieges?".

I agree with yeti Friend that it seems faction dependent and that there must be something else going on.

It's not a game about fighting field battles, it's a game about fighting battles. If it were a game exclusively about field battles, they wouldn't have added sieges in the first place.

Ghorst can go from "just a lord" to "full 20-stack of ultra-cheap mega-buffed zombies" in two turns and poo poo out armies like that all the time, so I'm not shocked at all that the AI is playing defensive and buying time against the zombie apocalypse, especially in the first couple dozen turns when the AI doesn't have high-tier units yet. Vampire Counts aren't a faction you want to have a pyrrhic victory or heroic defeat against, because they can get back in fighting shape way more quickly than the living can.

IMO, the problem isn't AI behavior at all. It's the fact that the underlying game mechanics make it strictly better to turtle up in a settlement when at a disadvantage. While there's bad things that can happen from letting an army run amok in your lands, they have the same problem as sieging: they take far longer than the player has patience for, especially when the campaign gameplay usually runs at a breakneck pace.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

If we're going to get pedantic, I didnt say I expect or the game markets itself as exclusively field battles, however,

tl;dr a lot of people are complaining about too many siege fights and the AI retreating to towns too frequently is part of my complaint.

And yes, I understand it is smart for the AI to do that some of the time when it can see that it is outclassed, but doing it all the time has led to me posting all this nonsense about it.

edit: insert a joke about it being "Total Siegehammer" here :v:

The AI doesnt account for any of this. When fighting AI Ghorst in my singleplayer Lokhir campaign, if one of his armies had a lot of skellies and zombies they would still run from my armies of Dreadspears, Bleakswords, unshielded Darkshards, and two dogs DE Light Cav. Like, yeah, those are some really good tier 1 units but the AI Ghorst never offered battle outside of a settlement even when they had Blood Knights and Terrorgiests in the army, too.

Can you link me to the mod? I would like to give that a shot - right now I am using a mod that just turns any minor settlement into a field battle and I feel like its too far in the wrong direction (but its nice to get more field battles :v:)

Like I said, the game mechanics incentivize retreating to settlements rather than picking risky fights, and not doing it is actively bad play. It's not an AI problem, it's a fundamental mechanics problem.

Personally, I like the settlement fights. All field battles all the time is boring as hell, there's nothing tactically interesting there. It's just the same fights over and over again. Though I wish there were a bit more variation in the settlement maps so you're not fighting on the same one several times in a row as you conquer a region.

My point isn't that the zombies were strong (as you said, autoresolve doesn't care about that). My point was that they were cheap and recruit quickly, allowing you to take and keep a campaign-level advantage by recruiting bigger armies faster and cheaper than the enemies could in the early-game, and then compounding that advantage by building a strong economy via stomping your neighbors and taking all their poo poo. Player-controlled Ghorst pretty much always brings a full 20-stack to the party, even when it's only like turn 5 and your neighbors are still struggling to build up their first stack.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Allied with Greasus, he asks me to go to war with one of the minor Ogre factions, I check to make sure I don't have a non-aggression pact with them and then say yes

Turns out I had a trade agreement with them, and declaring on someone you trade with tanks your reliability just as badly as declaring on someone you have a non-aggression pact with

Next turn, two factions declare war on me and another one cancels their non-aggression pact with me

If it's going to punish you that hard for diplomatic mishaps it should really put a warning in, learning the specifics of how Reliability works the hard way sucks

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
The AI definitely seems to pull back their stacks sometimes without really considering whether they're able to actually pull together any reinforcements to make it a temporary withdrawal.

My favorite so far was having a full stack right next to Ku'gath's last city, which had a half-stack army sitting inside. Instead of staying to defend the city, the half-stack ran directly away from the city, allowing me to easily occupy it...and then the next turn, the army turned right around and attacked the settlement with my barely-scratched full stack in it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Any faction whose LL is some variety of "Guy sitting on a thing, carried by smaller guys" is instantly disqualified as a faction I will play. Why are there so many? Why do I have to mod Ogres to play their main LL? Why are half the dwarfs unplayable to me? Why would anyone just knock those guys over and render the LL immobile in battle?

Because it's really cool and badass, and "really cool and badass" is a significant multiplier to combat ability in the Warhammerverse

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Jay Rust posted:

I feel the total warhammer itch

I remember one big thing tw3 was supposed to do was make sieges more varied and interesting, did they succeed?

Walled settlement sieges are the same as they always were, but now unwalled settlements have settlement battles (similar to Three Kingdoms) instead of field battles.

Personally, I think they strike a good balance between the flexibility of field battles and the interesting terrain of siege battles, but a lot of people would rather just see more field battles.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Sample_text posted:

drat...

Also , I realized I was a bit bad with my wording.

It's not that the idea of Orks and humans allying bothers me because of the lore.
But having a lot of my campaigns sink at turn 20 because all my neighbors decided to ally and exterminate me, and me alone.
The vampire one is the campaign that stung the most, because I really felt like I had 0 chances . Even Skaven were coming out of the woodwork out of nowhere to raze my cities.

When I had campaigns that got past the 20-30 turn mark, I remember the game being quite enjoyable, but those opening turns were crushing me most of the time.

Does THAT still happen ,is what I'm asking.

At the start, you're going to grow and conquer faster than the AIs do. As you grow and get stronger, everyone around you is inevitably going to start seeing you as a threat who needs to be stopped before you snowball and get so far ahead that you become unstoppable.

Order factions tend to get along relatively well, but for the most part, any player is going to have to put some effort into buttering up their neighbors to keep your wars manageable until you've gotten that snowball rolling.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Serephina posted:

Are garrisons not like 16-20 units like they where in TW2?

It depends on the buildings in the settlement and what tier they are. That goes for TW2, too - garrison composition has changed a bit in TW3, but even in 2, they were never on the huge side.

A basic garrison for a T1 minor settlement is usually somewhere around four basic T1 crap infantry and two T1 ranged units. The T1 Skaven minor settlement garrison in TW2 is, like, two Gutter Runners and a handful of Skavenslaves.

When you upgrade the settlement, it'll add a couple more units to your garrison and upgrade some of the garrison units as well. The defensive buildings will add several units to the garrison. The military buildings will generally add a couple of the units they recruit to the garrison, and the hero recruitment buildings will sometimes add a hero to the garrison.

A higher-tier major settlement full of military buildings will have an army-sized garrison of decent quality, but a lower-tier minor settlement's garrison won't even serve as a speedbump against a real army unless you've put up the defense buildings (and by the time you can build those, you usually have a decent enough hold on the territory that you're unlikely to get invaded).

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Farecoal posted:

I don't quite understand Winds of Magic. It's basically just your mana bar, right?

Basically, but there's a lot of specific factors that influence how big it is at any given time.

In battle, you have a main Winds of Magic pool that maxes out at 30, and then a Winds of Magic reserve pool whose size depends on various factors. The main pool is the one that your mages can actually draw from. As time passes, magic will trickle from the reserve pool into your main pool, slowly refilling your main pool while reducing the size of the reserve pool. If you're using enough magic, eventually the reserve pool will run dry and your main pool won't refill anymore. At this point, you are functionally Out Of Magic, and whatever's left in your main pool is all you're going to have for the rest of the battle.

The size of the reserve pool isn't static, though - it depends on a bunch of stuff. The main factor is that on the campaign map, each army with casters has a Winds of Magic bar showing their current magic supply, and each province has a Winds of Magic value that changes from time to time. If an army spends time in a province with strong Winds of Magic, the army's magic reserve will grow; spending time in a province with weak Winds of Magic will cause their magic reserve to deplete. Most factions have access to a stance that increases the army's Winds of Magic reserves in exchange for shorter movement range. And caster lords (and certain magic-oriented units) tend to have skills that increase Winds of Magic reserves in their army.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Dwarves teach terrible battle habits since they're so slow and tough, and mountainous areas are kind of annoying to deal with on the strategic map. It's probably better to learn with one of the numerous elf factions - there's plenty that punch above their weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Ravenfood posted:

I would not include wood elves as a good learner faction. They do hit hard and do have decent low-tier infantry for line-holding purposes but they have a lot of weird quirks.

To be fair, I forgot wood elves existed

I've never played them and I've never really come up against them in any of my games. They stick to their own small territory and I've never had any trouble paying them off to leave me alone.