Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
there was a British political cartoon in the d&d uk political cartoons thread like 5-10 years ago where a man (maybe prince Charles) has eaten someone and a horrified witness (don’t remember) is saying “you ate her!” and he replies “not as much as I ‘ate you!!” Anyway I think that’s relevant and wish I could remember who drew it, it’s a very The Ogres joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Grumio posted:

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair's wife, but yes! :discourse:

thanks this has been kind of rattling around in my head for a while so here u go

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
now we know why Khalida is always yelling “Brring me neferata’s hhhat”

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Midnight pacific, 3am eastern

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
lol Xen Long has an Astronomicon, it’s in the Cathayan tech tree

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think the Yin spell that lets you give the Blinded! debuff to a whole enemy line is seriously key to offensive output as Cathay. That and the iron hail gunners seem to have a huge offensive potential despite being really squishy.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Sieges/settlement battles are such a huge improvement. There is a clear objective you can’t afford to ignore, you never have enough resources to ignore it, but neither does the enemy. That forces a lot of decisions and urgency, it’s great. I don’t think they happen too often either, im getting a good mix of battle types. People complain a lot about the towers but trying to attack the towers is a huge waste of time, you have to press past them and cap the points.

Cathayan infantry is really really good. You can take a charge from greenskins and hold the line even with peasants. If you aren’t using heroes and generals (or balloons) to boost your Harmony bonus you are also leaving a lot of value on the table because you can really get up above dwarf stats into like 40ma, 55md territory pretty quickly.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think if you confer a faction that has disbanded lords you don’t face an upkeep penalty for them, but if you disband them yourself, you continue to pay upkeep. I say this because I started recruiting disbanded lords in order to suicide them and reduce my upkeep, but upkeep went up instead of staying constant.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Did I accidentally turn on legendary battle mode? Why does the map disappear and I can’t use slow motion?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It’s totally laughable to criticize the game you’ve been streaming for 6 hours a day for 6 weeks, after full time streaming the last game in the series for like 5 years, on terms like that. Dude is just having a breakdown, it’s best to just let him flail around for a while and let him find himself or get a new job or whatever. Hope he feels better soon!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m liking the game a lot tbh. There are some interesting things here in terms of when you are incentivized to go wipe another faction out and whether it’s better to use the Ream of Chaos bonuses to help you do that instead of getting the souls first. Im not having a lack of field battles either; they are quite easy to bait out. I wish there was more focused character driven moments and the battlefield speeches are a step in that direction. Hope they can find ways to deepen it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If this game is a prequel to the events of TWWH1 I wonder how the old empire campaign intro plays into it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z26ipp8WnW0

Note Karl Franz ascending to unite the empire following some kind of military catastrophe in the frozen north.

I also think the Immortal Empires game will be basically the internal sequel to the realms of chaos campaign.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Everyone should be able to unionize. It shouldn't be specific to Total War games and should broadly include video game streamers/content creators in general but there 100% should be a union.

no disagreement here with the principle as expressed but the problems these streamers have with the games are exclusively creative, not business. they don't think the games are fun enough after playing for 12 hours a day, every day, for a month. not that they're getting ripped off by unfair terms and conditions (the most relevant of those, of course, are set by youtube and twitch, not sega). they want to collectively bargain on behalf of the fans to make creative decisions about game balance and design? the gently caress? you going to let the people at wookiepedia write the next star wars movie?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the actual model they are fumbling for to deal with their grievances is like broadcasters cooperating with the rules committees of various major league sports to make it more exciting television

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Do not wish upon the brown shooting star I beg of you

When you wish upon a shart, makes no difference who you are,

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
what was Oxyotl doing for all that time in the chaos realms. was he just confused by the tzeentch portals or what.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
they could do a thing like chaos spawn from morghur’s item but putting it on every basic infantry unit seems like a big pain in the rear end for performance and balance

A single pink horror being like 1200 points or whatever would be annoying as hell

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I know it’s not WHFB related but it’s loving hilarious and amazing that GW said they were bringing back Squats for April fools and then the day after April fools said it wasn’t a joke and GW posted a model to prove it. how do you say “Chad” in khazalid

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The difference between war wagons and outriders is basically sustained vs burst dps

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think things like the NOTHING and the replenishment are partially jokes. Although nothing in June is hopefully because they’re all going on vacation or something.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

I agree with this. There's no strategy outside of taking enemy settlements until they can't make more armies and you can afford to create more armies (while they can effectively create them for free). The best enemy settlement to take is always going to be whichever is closest. There's no real value in controlling strategic geographical points or resources.

You can't attack the port of Marienburg and cripple the Empire's ability to trade or block off Nuln and stop them from being able produce artillery. You can't raid Brettonian farmland and cause a famine. You can't monopolize the iron trade. etc etc

this is simply not true imo. for example, if grimgrog is giving you a hard time and you raze black crag, where he has his high priority blorc building, then you likely just shut down his entire ability to spam blorcs at you, for possibly a very long time. figuring out where your enemy is spawning his nasty high-tier units and shutting down those settlements is key to fighting efficiently on the campaign map.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

If you can do that then why wouldn't you just take or raze all of his settlements? You're just going to raze Black Crag and then disband the army or march it home or are you gonna take the region next to it and the one next to that?

By all means you can play out a little narrative where you role play that that is what happened but it's not going to be a very effective strategy.

No, because Grimgor can make multiple armies and send them out. You can bypass them and hit strategically with one tough army instead of playing defense or whack a stack.

Another example that comes up frequently is whether to counterattack Manfred in Stirland or Talabecland, or if you just bypass him in the field and destroy Sylvania, reducing him to much weaker recruitment while his powerful armies slowly get whitttled down by the AI.

Anyway the complained of impossible task was hitting Nuln, a city which isn’t known as a pushover, to take out the empire artillery production. You can definitely do that, just not very effectively with Nuln (because they usually don’t confederate with Franz very quickly).

Lt. Danger posted:

uh why not simply use an agent to Damage Building??

This works too

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ok that’s very nice of you but the post was hilarious

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Just give the AI an extra four units of Dogs to summon into every battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah unless they make some major changes I just dont see how the WH2 races, especially HE, dont poo poo all over the demons.

Oh, look, physical resist? Shame I have magic arrows. And flaming arrows, so gently caress your regeneration. And long range. And AP to boot, just in case you thought armor might help. Ice Guard at least only have one of those. (Actually, an HE army with allied Ice Guard is probably going to be better for the massed SoA and scattered ice guard than Kislev with SoA support, but either way)

We will see, but I dont have high hopes for the range supremacy going anywhere. I did at WH3 release at least.

HE counter Tzeentch and maybe Khorne but Slaanesh will take them out behind the woodshed