Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alchenar posted:

Oh the point of Russian propaganda is really simple: it's just to blitz you with a hundred different possible narratives both fantastical and plausible so that the average person either never hears the true narrative or just can't distinguish it from any of the fake ones.

It's not about getting people to believe the Russian line, it's providing a hundred possible hooks for people looking for a reason to doubt the Western narrative.

Yup, 100%, Russia uses the firehose method on multiple levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Not a bad framing at all; so much of the point of the russian propaganda I've studied has been based in attempting to disrupt and prevent the development of civic discourse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

imo it's the intent that matters, if posters are using it deliberately to piss others off, that won't fly. Obviously intent is not always easy to infer from posts so use at your own risk, you might catch a dreaded 6er if it seems like you're dropping "the Ukraine" to be a jerk.

Why only a sixer for someone using an inflammatory dogwhistle in a thread in the midst of an active invasion against the targets of that dogwhistle?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Could it be that there is internal confusion even within the Russian government whether to attack or not?

At least on the propaganda side, probably; propaganda systems in Russia are a bunch of different siloed organizations with different approaches, some under the control of individual plutocrats, doing things they think Putin wants. This winds up contributing to the whole incoherent, truth-eroding firehose effect of it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 18, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stop providing hard timetables that they have no way to back, stop flipflopping on the language they use when providing said timetables, stop sensationalizing likely Russian invasion objectives (they are targeting Kyiv, Kyiv will fall in 72 hours!), and should actually coordinate on messaging with the Ukrainian government rather than sidestepping them entirely.

There haven't been timetables from the government. Specific days or timetables are, as far as I can tell, universally coming from background sources.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Does bidens comment "in the next few days" from today meet your definition of a hard timetable?

No, because it's the exact same misrepresentation of media coverage that occurred previously in this thread, which ascribed background quotes with specific numbers to the administration...and you're also misrepresenting in your selective quote from Biden, which was "My sense is it will happen in the next several days", with several additional caveating statements before and after.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...er-live-updates

If Biden doesn’t count as “the government” then we have nothing more to talk about.

You appear to be ignoring the word "might", and the very next sentence of that article.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ukraine v Russia: seeking some casual belli

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is a public book review of We are Bellingcat by a random analyst for CISA's Studies in Intelligence. It demonstrates that this unknown CIA analyst thinks BM's organization is likely to develop such that looks a lot like other intelligence organizations, and that Bellingcat will probably not be as revolutionary as he thinks. It does not in any way state or suggest that Higgins or Bellingcat are somehow subject to reproach or capture by the CIA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

Did you ignore the part where they've said that the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for litterally weeks and it hasn't happened yet? Dont let the CIA gaslight you

If this is the case, I'm sure you can provide this evidence of the CIA saying the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for literal weeks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

Posturing, if they wanted to invade why haven't they?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...ih=718&dpr=2.63

Sorry professor, replace CIA with unnamed NATO source.

This doesn't appear to be "tomorrow" either; making GBS threads out a search for the phrase "russian invasion imminent" is also getting you a lot of hits for caveated claims like "could be", "may be", or "looks". You're misrepresenting something then saying the thing you made up is someone else gaslighting us, then misrepresenting it to us again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I know Miller, but is there a reason to think this text source is credible other than that he's sharing it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

After 7 years of constant war the people not already in the militia are probably not thrilled by the prospect of getting conscripted into invading Ukraine?

Sure, it's plausible, but I just don't know anything about the mediating twitter account that he's also mediating. I can't translate the source text so the characterizing language, like "brutally", makes me want to get more context and apply more scrutiny.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You appear to be unfamiliar with current and past Russian activities toward these groups in both Russia and the occupied territories.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Majorian has added the word "concentration" to the claim, which is why it's now being leaned on, and the linked washington post article also links information on the same activities from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

So are you acknowledging that you inserted the word "concentration" to misrepresent the source material, now? Because I noticed you've dropped that claim and moved on to a new one without acknowledging it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think that recorded session with Putin and his subordinates demonstrates the same sort of epistemic closure and self-poisoning that happens with so many societies dominated by state propaganda. The rational part of the policy calculus doesn't seem worth assuming anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aramis posted:

I will admit that I'm not particularly versed in Eastern European culture and sensibilities, and there's probably a lot being lost in translation here. That being said, that speech comes across as shockingly inefficient rhetoric-wise to my ears. What purpose does this serve? It's not like anyone who isn't already fully on board could possibly be swayed by this.

Add to that the bizarrely distanced event from this morning, and I can't help but think that Putin really does not have a single advisor working for him.

The target audience is domestic and already in the wringer- but yeah, this is very much the product of a regime that's been choking on its own state propaganda system for long enough that it's losing touch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Market is not looking great (this is from Financial Times market data);

Does anyone remember the name of the site with the relaxing music, calming imagery in the background and a ticker of current ruble exchange prices and Russian currency reserves?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

tyvm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Great speech by Kenyan speaker here, https://twitter.com/AmbMKimani.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I missed it, is there a way to go back and watch?

I believe it will be archived and available from the same site; at a minimum, transcripts will be available.

e:f;b. Ireland was the previous speaker, if that helps.

edit 2: Lmao, so weird to see China issue a nonstatement; they love to go full bloodcurdle.

edit 3: by which I mean even more so than the opposite-of-reality coming from Russia rn.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 22, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Paracausal posted:

Here's the speech in video sourced from some YouTube rando
https://youtu.be/soNBEjzWY08

She's an author at rawstory.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ukraine v Russia: You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is a pretty good example of why it's important to provide context for tweets.

a) it's Newsweek, an outlet whose rep is in the toilet.
b) it's unnamed "US officials", and it's "highly likely".
c) being mediated through the feed of an editor for Walla News, which I know nothing about other than that it's Israeli

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh good. I guess there aren't any troops and no one's bombing my hometown. Must have imagined it!

steinrokkan posted:

OTOH so far most of the leaks posted itt via random twitter users such as "IntelTwerp69" have been shockingly accurate.

I hear you and I'm not saying it's false, but it's also like the other specific time/date claims, anonymous, caveated, and not nearly as certain or reliable as presented in tweet form.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1496860722059517958

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Sure. But I don't think that one should look at a thing that kills people and think of it as good. It is neccesary, frequently, but it's not glorious.

If your concept of morality is detached from necessity, it's time to reevaluate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've seen two theories on this. I have no idea if either is accurate.

The first is that the war is so generally unpopular even in Russia that all the troll farms are just not participating -- they aren't dumb enough to make anti-war statements but they aren't making pro-war ones either.

The second and probably more likely theory is that the stallout of the invasion has caught Putin so flat-footed that he hasn't given anyone else a propaganda line to pitch yet -- seems like he thought that by now he'd have a puppet government in place to pitch a party line. Instead things are going badly and there's no guidance on how to pitch that so Russian state media and propagandists are defaulting to silence because they don't know what ot say. Can't say we're winning the war because officially it isn't a war; can't say we're defeating the evil enemies because officially they're just misguided allies greeting us as liberators; so who knows what to say?

A factor to consider here is that a lot of the Russian propaganda firehose is actually siloed, separate operations run by individual oligarchs or other power figures under the regime, doing things they think Putin wants. If that powerbase is divided or uncertain, those resources won't be leveraged in the same way as usual.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497702921521311746?s=21

Oh please be true. If the Army starts to mutiny Putin really is done.

The source website looks incredibly unreliable, and I can't find a story matching this on it atm, though I'm having to work through google translate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

A common problem with governments that heavily employ propaganda, especially internally, is they poison their own population, including, eventually, their own leadership. There's some great coverage of the PRC trying to train a new generation of internet censors about parts of history they've erased...that the trainees didn't realize were real.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

Please guys, do me a solid and give me some context who this Feldman lunatic is, and how relevant the site it's posted on is.

Feldman is a photo editor for Meduza and not immediately relevant.

The article itself is on RIA, one of the main domestic-facing Russian state-owned media outlets- the domestic version of Sputnik (I'm not clear on the formal structure of the organizations, accounts vary and it's changed several times over the years). It's directly owned by and controlled by the government and is part of the more direct, open propaganda apparatus; if RIA says something, it's primary audience is domestic and it's very nearly exactly what the Kremlin wants them to say, and the public will understand it as something coming from the government.

The author is Petr Akopov, who the outlet apparently uses frequently for international politics subjects; I'm not familiar with him, but his name appears as a byline on other foreign-facing propaganda, including stuff that's english-first and direct response. Akopov likely has a relatively senior role in the development of this sort of language, enough that he is trusted to operate independently in prominent articles; beyond that I'm not clear on his role.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 27, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is fantastic news. United, active exclusion of Russian propaganda and influence systems is a major, long-lasting improvement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What time do markets open in Russia?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It's about 10am.
Still have a good 10 hours of fighting before poo poo hits the fan there.

The ruble might go batshit though before then.

Thanks. CommieGIR can we get zenrus in the OP?

https://zenrus.ru/

(plus any more official sites folks would recommend)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Ruble just spiked to 130/euro

I haven't seen this in other places than zenrus, so let's identify another authoritative source we can use.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

The Georgian Ambassador's english is really spectacular; he's a great speaker.

I believe this is him, though they look different.

https://twitter.com/ale_mais?lang=en

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I really hope Biden explains why America absolutely cannot become involved with this war tonight. The longer this goes on the greater support for American involvement will get

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1498707386558824450?s=20&t=gbkCvwaXZHvEWhgd97EEMA

Rasmussen = giant block of salt. They're a conservative polling company bordering on fringe.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

UNGA session beginning now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MYekTKGkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

This appears to be a link to a session nine hours old?

Yup, my bad, got time zones crossed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdY7t5VKIY