Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kaddish posted:

No, it wasn't a month. Forces were rolling across the desert from Qatar/Kuwait/Saudi Arabia immediately.

In the Gulf War, there were bombardments starting on January 17, followed by a ground assault on February 24. So you're quite mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

freeasinbeer posted:

Also if the logical conclusion is anything NATO does against Russia equals nukes, then how do you stop them if they invade the Baltics.

If Russia now thinks nukes is its magical shield against retribution that they escalate to if they feel inconvenienced; then we’re hosed and Russia is worse then North Korea.

I’m not saying this to bolster arguments for no fly zones or intervention, just trying to understand the logical conclusion of the Russian threats and our perceptions of them.

The Baltics _are_ NATO. We're all but openly driving weapons into Ukraine, not a NATO member. If you think we'd just retreat from the Baltics, there's just no way.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FishBulbia posted:

How'd they deal with air defenses in Belarus?

In this nonsense scenario: by dropping bombs on them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shibawanko posted:

i really hope they do seriously negotiate, making some concessions to russia, like giving them crimea or autonomy for the two bullshit "republics" in the east as a guarantee of neutrality without regime change would suck for ukraine but is still better than a long war. i'm afraid russia will probably insist on replacing zelenskyy with a puppet though

How would 'neutrality' work though? Pinky swear not to join Nato/EU? How would 'not join the EU' work though, when that's everything but a yes or no issue? Their economy, laws, ... could become very much aligned with the EU without actually joining it, and I don't think Putin would be happy to have a Ukraine that's basically an EU member in everything but the name right on his doorstep.

So then what, give Moscow a veto on what kind of treaties they can sign? What laws they can enact? But that would just make them a puppet state.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Athas posted:

I'm guessing that a lot of these donations from smaller NATO countries comprise their entire inventory of that particular item. That was implied when Denmark donated NLAWs as well. It makes sense, as there is little chance these countries will need anti-tank weaponry any time soon, and in fact the inventory might just expire (or be spent in exercises) without being used anyway.

I wonder if we'll also see a significant increase in military production in NATO countries. How else will Germany spend the massive amount of money they promised?

In the unnamed EU country I'm from, we promised like 200 anti-tank missiles (but we actually need those for our own increased deployment...), a bunch of fuel (but we don't have enough trucks so getting it there would take months), and we also don't have enough APC's to transport our troops for said deployment.

So yeah, we're donating everything we have, and in some cases more than we actually have.

Military planners should play some more first person shooters, so they'd start to realize that the amount of ammo you have is really, really critical.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The nations that have been suggested all denied this is happening.

Well, unless someone's been hiding them really, really well, there's only 3 possibilities.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing, it's symbolic. All it does is entitles them to eventually start working on meeting membership criteria and reporting progress, which isn't going to be a high priority.

Well, in the very short term you're right, it's a symbolic but huge middle finger towards Putin. And also a symbolic sign towards Ukraine.

But it also signals that when this is all over (hopefully soon), the EU isn't fundamentally opposed to having the Ukraine join it, and if and when (and the 'if' there is really, really big) the Ukraine is sufficiently aligned with the rest of the EU (politics, law, having stable borders (...), economy, civil rights & liberties, ...), it could eventually do just that.

It's not a guarantee obviously, if you elect someone like Erdogan you're not getting in.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yes he did, leaving the Ukrainian people to gawk at his hideously tasteless Dictator Mansion.

It would be incredibly stupid of the Russians to proclaim him President of Vichy Ukraine because AFAIK he's one of the most hated men in Ukraine. So given what we've seen of Russian behavior, they probably will do it.

Oh gently caress, I remember that! This is that guy??

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kavros posted:

a lot of this whole operation on the russan side has felt like evidence that the first generation of people who think they understand war from their time playing video games have now filtered up into command, and they based the invasion on a "hold the capital for 3 turns" win condition meta

the Burning Convoy of Kyiv is actually an attempt at a Great Wonder victory

Nah, people who play video games would know the importance of logistics and total air superiority.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Crespolini posted:

how fast is an iskander, out of interest?

The internet says burnout velocity is 2100 m/s or 7560 km/h.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

cr0y posted:

Good Lord if it wasn't for the nukes the United States would absolutely dismantle this military in like I don't know 3 days?

The US would take some time to get everything into place but after that yeah, they would absolutely steamroll it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FishBulbia posted:

Feel like you guys don't understand this. This means that Russia can notify NATO about using things like strategic bombers and clarify that they aren't directed them at NATO forces. Similar thing happened in Syria.

Yes, this is basically communicating to avoid accidentally running into each other and yeah, letting each other know we're not attacking each other.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

jaete posted:

I haven't read every post so not sure what this refers to, but I for one don't mean to talk of possible invasions of e.g. Finland in a casual way, not as such. I would say that Finland and Sweden need to join NATO right now, since unfortunately Putin simply cannot be trusted to not casually invade them otherwise.

I'm also not convinced at all that a palace coup against Putin is feasible any time soon.

I've been thinking about that. How would you physically do it? He's presumably very well protected in normal times, the security at this point has to be insane.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DOOMocrat posted:

Pardon my ignorance but does EU membership actually come with a formalized defense treaty, or is it implied? Because if it's implied, it doesn't seem worth much. e: Militarily, obviously it does economically.

There is a mutual defence clause. Article 47.2.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm 40 and didn't know what a NFZ was, or the implications of one until I googled it last week and read this thread.

I wonder what those polls would say if they called it a 'shoot Russian planes and bomb Russian anti-air' zone.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alchenar posted:

There's got to have been more than a few people in Ukrainian institutions who were sypathetic/cosy with Russia in anticipation of being rewarded when the time came and those guys have got to be sweating bullets right now.

One hilarious outcome would be for Putin to just declare 'mission accomplished' and withdraw. Nobody in Russia is going to openly contradict that.

If he does, say, retreat to pre-way borders, I would expect the EU/NATO to flood the country with more military equipment & civilian aid, while still keeping the sanctions against Russia up. He'd never be able to set another foot into Ukraine again, NATO would be right on his borders, and his economy would be in tatters. Massive, massive loss for him.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Chalks posted:

The comment about Ukraine running out of ammunition etc seems surprising. Surely with western support they won't be running out of basic things like that.

The thing is, does the West even have that much ammunition? Nobody has been really preparing for war for the last decades.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm not an expert in international relations but it seems like the only reason you don't want someone to join a defensive alliance would be because you plan to invade them. Ukraine would be foolish to agree to neutrality.

It could work if there were some kind of guarantee that Russia would never invade Ukraine again. Maybe some kind of alliance that would protect them in that case...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alchenar posted:

Looks like Russia has come up with a solution to its rear security area issue it's genocide

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1501107562061733888

I don't doubt the Russian army is willing to do this, but does this really make sense from a practical standpoint? How would they do this? Waste a ton of ammo levelling everything? Or do they have a tank run everything over? Neither makes much sense.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Willo567 posted:

Is there a danger that Russia may strike Poland to stop the supply of aircraft should Poland decide to send some to Ukraine?

Oh yes please do, I would love nothing more for NATO to be obligated to directly attack the Russian army.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Good. Let's increase the sanctions some more then.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PerilPastry posted:

I think it's down to a combination of logistics and Russia's red line. Russia's started categorically that they will not tolerate other countries hosting aircraft or offering airfields to Ukraine, and the Polish idea of shipping them to Ramstein Air Base would probably butt up against this since this scheme would likely involve Ukrainian pilots picking them up. If they'd just slipped them across the border by land without entering Ukrainian airspace it probably wouldn't have been an issue I imagine.

I just wish it would be talked about in private and then (preferably) executed, or not. This very public back and forth isn't good for anybody. Well, except Russia.

Personally I don't give a poo poo about Russia's 'red line', but I can understand the people in charge of NATO are a bit more hesitant. I'm assuming sneaking about 30 MIGs across a border is also easier said than done.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

gay picnic defence posted:

In recent years China has been sending large numbers of troops on UN peacekeeping deployments because they've realised that training and combat simulations are no substitute for actually getting their kit out in the field and seeing how it stacks up.

In a war scenario they are at a huge disadvantage to the US because the US has had 20 years of constant warfare to hone their processes and operating procedures, and a big part of bringing their military up to speed for a potential invasion of Taiwan is getting similar combat experience somehow.

What this war is showing me (sitting at my desk reading the internets), is that the most important thing for any decent sized army is the logistics. Far more important than actual combat experience.

Well, logistics and an air force that is actually capable of doing what it's supposed to do: flying high, in sufficient numbers, taking out the enemy air defence quickly, so that you can then support your ground forces.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

TheRat posted:

Is it a weird EU=Europe thing maybe?

Personally, I see everything left of the line you can draw from Finland to the Black Sea as Europe. Obviously there's a bit of wiggle room but at least half of Ukraine is in Europe.

Besides, Russia has always seen itself as in Europe as well. And the Eurovision Song Contest, which is the most important authority on the subject, agrees.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PerilPastry posted:

Seems like bullshit to me. It's not like there's any scenario where Russia cedes Crimea, right? Isn't it like the lowest hanging fruit of all possible Ukrainian concessions in a negotiated settlement with Russia?

I guess if Russia keeps suiciding its army into Ukraine it's theoretically possible that they lose it all, then get driven back out of Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian army then pushes them out of the Donbas en Crimea as well.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dick Ripple posted:

Retired US general suggesting NATO help Ukraine by 'Taking Putins eye off the ball' by threatening to retake Kaliningrad. Also the male reporters face when he is suggesting this.

Not a bad idea to increase the pressure on other fronts, be it military or non-military. The more their attention is divided, the better.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

TulliusCicero posted:

Attacking Finland would be certifiably insane, especially now while Ukraine is already giving them a run for their money.

I agree with the assessment that if these plans are being seriously considered Russia is no longer a remotely rational actor.

Finland is in the EU so that would be a straight up war with everybody in the EU. There's no way they're that stupid.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuna-Fish posted:

It doesn't loving work like that. In order to become a NATO member, you have to be accepted by every existing NATO member. As in, they have to hold parliamentary votes on the matter. If it looks like Russia is invading Finland, what are the chances that at least one NATO member isn't going to go "actually, letting Finland in right now is not in our best interests"?

The idea of an instant NATO membership is absolute bullshit spread by anti-NATO activists in Finland. If we want into the alliance, we need to get in when there is no imminent threat. Once there is a threat, it's too goddamn late.

Finland is in the loving EU. The minute Russia attacks Finland, it's now at war with all of the EU. Sure, that wouldn't include the US, but it's still an entire continent with some very decent sized armies, vs. one country (ok, maybe two) that can't even handle Ukraine.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Der Kyhe posted:

It is a weird feeling isn't it? They were the big bad Russian wave that doesn't care for losses, the next wave comes after the last one is done with. And they keep coming until we lose the ground and run out of bodies to throw at it, or they grow bored of trying. Retreating or surrendering was death, and the civilian life, and the entire Finnish society along with our own culture, would be over if they get through and occupy us. Like what happened with Vyborg and the areas lost in the WW2. They replace us, and send the population as dissidents to the Siberia to eke out a life of rural 19th century.

So like I said earlier, it is "What the gently caress are they doing?", "Hah get hosed" and "This was supposed to be the enemy that we try to keep at bay?" at the same time.

If it's any consolation, this (even before the invasion) is probably the worst the Russian military has been. Decades of kleptocracy must have taken their toll on what probably used to be a competent army.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ntan1 posted:

This is referring to Chinese public opinion. China is weird in that there is a split between two social groups: (1) an extremely uneducated huge population of folks who are up-and-rising middle class or poor who aren't very informed about international relations at large, due to the way Chinese media works and (2) extremely well off people from Shanghai, Beijing, and other major cities who are educated and want to settle down in other countries like the United States or work in China but have kids raised elsewhere if at all possible.

The upper echelons of Chinese govt. as it exists today are extremely smart and influenced by foreign education/principles, so they will well understand that the US and EU are getting closer due to this war.

Are they though? Or do we, like with certain recent Russian governments, grossly overestimate them?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OddObserver posted:

The thing about whole "Russia controlled by China" thing is that Russian racism would likely make it politically unacceptable. Russia wants to be respected by Europe and wants their Europeaness (how do you spell that?) acknowledged. Ukraine is kinda similar, but Ukrainian goal is more "we want to live like Poland" while Russia is more "we want to be like France and swing our national dick around a lot".

Someone should have told them that being respected by Europe would be a lot easier if they weren't a bunch of murdering dickbags.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

It's really disheartening to keep reading that Ukrainians with family in Russia have stopped talking to them because they don't believe it when their own family is telling them that yes, there's an actual war on that's killing them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

8000 calories is beyond excessive, that is obesity-tier territory. In my gym freak days I was doing maybe 3500-4000 at most.

iirc Hafthor Bjornsson is like 7k calories a day

War criming is very calorie intensive.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mulva posted:

Nah, China wants to do the same poo poo one day and get away with it, so it'll push back on any consequences Russia seems to be taking or any perception that their actions are wrong. Just about that simple really.

Yes. China's worldview (well, their leaders anyway) is that autocracy is the way to go, and that democracy and individual liberties are bad. They're basically on the same path as Russia, and the West would be foolish to ignore it. You can't just watch them brainwash their population into thinking that Europe and the US are the great satan and think that won't have big consequences down the road.

The human rights violations they (or any country really) are doing should no longer be ignored because it will only get worse, right up to the point they do their own Ukraine.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OddObserver posted:

He's been saying it for like 3 weeks. What that means is: "sure, we will agree to not be in NATO if we get real binding security guarantees from US, France, and a bunch of other countries".

Yeah but at that point, what's the difference with just being in NATO?

Ukraine is obviously right to ask for those guarantees because the same coming from Russia would be completely worthless, but that's also why Russia won't accept that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

KitConstantine posted:

Cross posting and I regret nothing
There's been some really good interviews with Ukrainian fighter pilots - link to a personal favorite, I think it was posted already:

Each time I read about those fighter pilots I think it's criminal that we haven't been sending them more jets. Just send them all the MIGs we have goddammit, air power is sooo important and we should be doing everything we can to make Ukraine win the air war.

Also start training pilots on Western jets so that if the war isn't over in a few months we can send them those too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If this was really Ukrainian helicopters, what would surprise me more than the actual attack is that Ukraine not only still has working helicopters, in range, but also facilities to maintain, fuel, and arm them, and is capable to plan these missions and can let these helicopters take off and, hopefully, land again safely. Crazy.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Ukraine has been making great use of attack helicopters the whole war. Back when Russia was sending columns to outflank Kyiv from the west, the Ukrainians would use drones or guys in ambush with Stugnas or Javelins to take out the AA vehicles in those convoys, and when they were sure there was no AA left, they'd send the helis to clean up. Same happened to the convoy that pushed north past Mykolaiv.

The news is that Ukraine is confortable enough in their situation to risk sending the helis east, instead of keeping them all operating west of Dnipro.

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about Ukrainian helicopters, didn't even know they had any, never mind that they were actively using them successfully.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is they are still doing a fighting retreat, its not just a withdrawal, and its very likely they are just being moved east to attack again after refit and resupply.

Why is this a problem? I would hope Russian forces would be under attack even if they are retreating. Just letting them go so they can regroup, that would be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Murgos posted:

Eh, the Biden admin said multiple times that if Poland wanted to hand their planes over directly they were welcome too. What Biden didn’t want it Poland to hand them to the US to give to Ukraine.

gently caress's sake, just give them to me and I'll tow them over the loving border.