Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Crossposting from the GIP Ukraine thread, it's always a good sign when your stock analyst's assessment of the situation is to break out a beer and announce he's going to return to working as a Santa Claus.

Edit: I was corrected, it was actually mineral water.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tjournal/status/1499300107837128704
Is the phrase "flash mob" used to mean something surprising or unexpected in Russian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This might be a dumb question, but how come the Latvian and Estonian capitals are on the coast but Lithuania’s is inland? I had thought it would have been on the coast given the importance of the Baltic Sea with trade. Is there a political / historical reason or is it just one of those things?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s Lithuania’s historical capital. It will turn 800 next year. Much like other Baltic capitals, it’s roughly where a hefty chunk of ancient Balts had their settlements.
Thanks, I had assumed it was something like that but I didn't know if there were any other factors at play.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In Polish there are masculine and feminine forms of some surnames. If a masculine surname ends in i or y, the feminine form ends in a. However, names that end in consonants don't have male and female forms.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I figured this would be a better place to ask this than the Ukrainian War thread.

I was watching a France24 clip of a discussion panel on allowing Ukraine into the EU. One of the panelist mentioned that there are “some people” in the EU who feel that Ukraine is “too large and too foreign” to be allowed into the EU and that they should be treated more like Turkey since these people believe that Ukrainians aren’t really European. The panelist also implied that Macron may be one of these people.

Is this actually a common belief or opinion? Aside from the race science aspect of it, it sounds more like these people are more concerned about the money that would be required, especially after the war, to rebuild, repair, and upgrade Ukraine’s infrastructure.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thanks for the insight. The concerns over Ukraine causing problems like Poland or Hungry or saying “let’s deal with the war first” make sense. I don’t know why the opposition wasn’t framed that way instead of “too foreign”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

we are not going to dwell on the details, as to who actually and when did execute polish soldiers and officers here.

Hmmm, yes, I wonder why.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FishBulbia posted:

resisting christianity since 1171
Somewhat related, but I just learned the other day that Old Believers don’t worship the pre-Christian gods.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Why would you assume we do?
”old gods” is an expression used to refer to pre-Christian gods so I assumed that “old believers” were their followers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

“Beautiful women”

*shows some kids running in a field*

:psyduck:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, what is the spire's significance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Liberators_of_Soviet_Latvia_and_Riga_from_the_German_Fascist_Invaders

quote:

The Monument to the Liberators of Soviet Latvia and Riga from the German Fascist Invaders was a memorial complex in Victory Park, Riga, Latvia erected in 1985 to commemorate the Soviet Army's victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder if he still had all his faculties, and if so, how he felt about Russia sliding back into essentially a dictatorship. The reports say he died after a "severe and prolonged illness" so I wonder if it was something like dementia or Alzheimer's.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

He gave an Interfax interview around Christmas last year which seems lucid.
It was probably cancer then.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lots of russian boomers (and older) really hate him for ruining the whole empire, I wonder what the mood would be tomorrow.
Hating Gorbachev and wishing for the “good old days”. *a finger on the monkey’s paw curls*

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That looks like the “beef salad” my Romanian friend makes around the holidays. Is that what it is?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mokotow posted:

I mean, if your friends beef salad lies on a pizza, sure

Technically, it’s a mayonnaise-potato “salad” on a pizza

Torrannor posted:

It's "beef salad" (Fleischsalat) in German, too. Only, nobody would ever put it on a pizza! (I hope :ohdear:)
Oh, I missed that it was on a pizza. :psyduck:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Over 2,700 dead in Turkey and the number is still climbing. :psyduck:

Turkey has formally requested NATO help.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I can see why the death toll is so high. It happened around 4:15 AM and I've seen 2 videos on the BBC so far of 8 - 10 storey newish looking buildings in Turkey completely collapsing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The WHO says the death toll could increase eight-fold.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64533851

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

South Urals man admits sabotage of public property, is probably a foreign agent :commissar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBHLqwv3sLU
"Did you steal the toilet?'
"No."
"Honestly though, you took it for firewood, correct?"
"Yes."

:lol: :lmao:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

extremely disappointed that no one was doing the naruto run in the videos
This is the first thing that I thought of too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kikas posted:

WHAT. Why did this happen oh nooooooo
Ironic since I think his Kiev coverage was one of the best ones out there.
Back in January of this year. A few women came forward and accused him of trying to pressure them into having sex with him. His lawyer released a statement that said something like “Andrew is using this opportunity to learn and grow as a person.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Latvian Empire.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Completely off topic, I'm in Canada and am looking to send a wire transfer to a friend in Poland (15,700 zł). However, the recipient bank (ING Bank Śląski) rejected it and said I need to provide more information to make sure I'm meeting economic sanctions requirements (I'm guessing it's something to do with the war).

I'm going to my bank later today to find out what additional information ING wanted but I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences in dealing with wires from outside of the EU or if you have any suggestions for other methods of sending the money (not bitcoin).

I don't want to derail the thread so feel free to PM me or email me at mr.apollo @ gmail.com.

Dziękuję bardzo :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's around $4k that you're sending, which is large enough to attract the attention of a few standard risk management mechanisms in retail banking.
That thought had occurred to me also. I’ve sent larger amounts within North America before without any problems. However, I guess the EU stricter requirements.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The EU has generally stricter requirements, yes, but also, among the EU member states, Poland has some of the strictest.
That's good to know thanks.

Is a bank to bank wire transfer the best way to do this?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, standard bank to bank wire is not necessarily the least fussy version, but it's guaranteed to arrive if you go along with the red tape.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As for the other thing, 15kpln is a decent chunk of change, well above the average monthly wage. It's not a huge amount of money but I think it's enough that if it's coming from a foreign bank it could trigger extra attention. For this sort of thing I always use revolut or transferwise and skip the bank (not an ad).

Thanks. I'm going to see what exactly their bank is asking for and I'll take it from there. If it starts becoming too onerous then I'll try one of the other methods mentioned.

I guess the issue is due to the money coming from overseas. My friend owns an automobile recycler and he sells lots of cars and car parts around the EU so he regularly gets large wires to his business account.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

a podcast for cats posted:

This happens a whole loving lot with international remittances, because the sanction lists banks screen against are incredibly imprecise.

Wise, Xoom, Remitly are all decent (which is not saying a lot) options and are usually cheaper than international wires, but ultimately the compliance gods still need their sacrifice.
Yeah I get that. This all new to me as I've only sent wires in the past to North American banks and the most I've been asked for is to show a piece of ID. I didn't expect that ~$4K would trigger the money laundering filters.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and information. I'll stop into my bank later today and see what exactly ING wants. Hopefully it's nothing too crazy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I sent $2500 USD to Estonia recently via Zelle (this is not an endorsement of Zelle), and I had to do it in two transactions 24 hours apart because it capped me at $2000. Not sure if this is a Zelle thing or a Baltic states thing, but maybe someone can use that info.
I was thinking about that but I don’t want to trigger any more filters by making it looking like I’m trying to skirt the rules (which I am but not for illegal reasons).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have nothing to do with this site, but there's a guy selling shirts and accessories with the 1992 Olympics Lithuanian basketball jersey design on them: http://www.skullman.com/ (the website is straight out of 1998).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Did Rutkowski actually show up to the protest in an Audi A8 while his “troops” arrived in the MRAP and fake police car?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

China had to issue a clarification saying that "it respects sovereignty of ex-Soviet states" after the Chinese ambassador to France said that former Soviet countries don’t have “effective status in international law".

https://www.reuters.com/world/some-eu-ministers-say-china-envoys-remarks-ukraine-sovereignty-unacceptable-2023-04-24/

quote:

China respects the status of former Soviet member states as sovereign nations, its foreign ministry said on Monday, distancing itself from comments by its envoy to Paris that triggered an uproar among European capitals.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/china/china-ambassador-lu-shaye-baltic-soviet-states-europe-intl-hnk/index.html

quote:

The remarks by China’s ambassador to France Lu Shaye, who said during a television interview that former Soviet countries don’t have “effective status in international law,” have caused diplomatic consternation, especially in the Baltic states.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sekenr posted:

I accidentalyy wore white-red-white today when I wen to buy cigarettes. Which under current laws is "extremism". I did not meet any cops but people stared
What is this about?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Grape posted:

Yeah he's Belarusian if I recall. That flag is basically the first post-Soviet flag, and has taken on an anti-Luka symbolism.

Ah thank you

:tipshat:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Appropriate article given the thread title.

To give some context, Alberta is a pretty conservative province and this guy was in the provincial government’s cabinet. For him to speak out against this priest means that the priest must have been saying some pretty heavy stuff.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lukaszuk-poland-surveillance-1.6933104

quote:

Canadian government probing allegations Poland wanted to surveil former Alberta cabinet minister

Warsaw says it acted within its rights

The federal government is looking into allegations the Polish government has dismissed one of its diplomats over their refusal to gather information on the social and political activities of former Alberta cabinet minister Thomas Lukaszuk, CBC News has learned.

"This is a violation of international diplomatic protocols and agreements. This definitely infringes on my human rights or my charter rights," Lukaszuk told CBC News in an interview.

"I would never expect that Polish diplomacy would be engaging in such activities... Any random ministry cannot simply surveil Polish Canadians abroad."

Lukaszuk, who served as deputy premier in former Progressive Conservative premier Alison Redford's government, believes he's a target for his activism against a controversial Polish pastor, Father Tadeusz Rydzyk, who has private radio and television stations in Poland.

Rydzyk has been criticized for sermons with homophobic and anti-Semitic views, as well as preaching against abortion and the European Union.

In 2020, Lukaszuk — a regular Alberta politics commentator on CBC Television — and Jewish advocacy group B'nai Brith successfully pushed for the Edmonton archdiocese to forbid Rydzyk from delivering sermons during a visit, and for a Toronto radio station to stop carrying programs from Rydzyk's station, Radio Maryja.

Lukaszuk said for years he dismissed rumours that the Polish foreign affairs department was soliciting information about him and directing individuals to also gather information about him.

"I actually never really paid much attention to it, because it seemed so far fetched," he said.

"Until I received a proverbial, because it was electronic, but a proverbial brown envelope."

Lukaszuk shared with CBC News what he says is a series of encrypted email exchanges dated March 13, 2022, June 14, 2022 and April of this year between a division of Poland's Foreign Affairs Department tasked with liaising with Polish diaspora communities, and the country's consul general in Vancouver, Andrzej Mańkowski.

"This is a minister instructing his staff and consulates across Canada, asking them to gather deeper information about Thomas Lukaszuk's social and political activities," Lukaszuk said.

"It definitely sent chills down my spine that as a Polish Canadian who lives in Canada more than 40 years, that government is still dispatching its officials in Canada to gather information that isn't publicly available,"

CB of Foreign Affairs, Zbigniew Rau, is seen addressing the emails before a Polish parliamentary committee at the end of July 2023 in a publicly available video.

In it, opposition politicians ask Rau if Mańkowski was dismissed because he did not want to spy on Lukaszuk.

One politician read out loud, in Polish, an email to Mańkowski.

According to a translation it said: "I kindly request that you prepare and forward, via the appropriate channel, an in-depth note to the department concerning the socio-political actions of Mr. Thomas Lukaszuk and their possible impact and significance for the Polish community in Alberta."

Rau answers it is adequate to recall a consul general that refuses to carry out an assignment.

Mańkowski would not speak about his departure. In an email he told CBC News "if you are preparing material about my dismissal, unfortunately I cannot comment on it."

He is scheduled to vacate his post by the end of August.

GAC says it’s assessing next steps

Global Affairs said it is aware of the allegations and is taking the matter very seriously.

In a statement, the department said it has been in contact with Lukaszuk and is also assessing next steps by working with its security intelligence and community partners.

"This is not a good idea for any country to be doing through their diplomats," said Maria Popova, an associate professor in political science at McGill University.

"It is the behind the scenes of really playing out domestic Polish political infighting and involving a Canadian citizen who's had an outspoken stance on it," she said.

Popova added it is unusual for a democratic country to look into an individual's activities.

"Authoritarian regimes of course do that quite often," she said. "But democracies are usually not that concerned about individual activities and also value more, of course, freedom of speech."

Popova nevertheless said she would expect the Canadian government to tread lightly in criticizing Poland.

She said the foreign interference in question appears to be more related to domestic Polish political issues than any matter regarding Canadian politics.

"Chances are through back-channel communications that there will be a message sent," Popova said.

A spokesperson for the government of Poland's Foreign Affairs Department referred CBC News to the United Nations treaty governing international diplomatic relations.

Rzecznik Prasowy said "all instructions and orders in relation to activities and reports by the Embassy/Consulates of the Republic of Poland are within the rights and privileges determined by the Vienna Convention."

Prasowy would not confirm or deny the veracity of the emails.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 11, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mokotow posted:

People around 60 are super prone to be influenced by this poo poo. My mom and her brother both speak English, having spent a few years as kids in Canada, but have otherwise no connections there, yet they spend hours listening to right wing US podcasts and YT shows and will proclaim Trump at dinner.
I've noticed this with some of my parents' friends. I think part of it has to do with getting older and society changing. It reminds me a lot of stories my parents telling me about it was difficult for their parents to adapt to changing social norms around race in the 60s and 70s.

Right wing propagandists know this and they feed the insecurity and uneasiness that older people feel by telling them "yes you're right to be scared, society is collapsing."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s funny because the most politically extreme Poles, and Europeans in general, I know are either living abroad or are the children of immigrants who have never been back to Europe. But they go on and on about correcting historical wrongs from like 700 years ago and how the EU is degenerate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mokotow posted:

Mildly fascinated with what he expected to happen
There were a few more screenshots where people were asking him the same thing. His answer was basically:

steinrokkan posted:

That the local savages will prostrate themselves before the civilized man who is bringing gifts of wisdom and dollar
He also mentioned that he was surprised that Poland was "so advanced".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The_Franz posted:

There was a lot of industry there, and as long as you could count to 10 and lift heavy things, there were no shortage of jobs. Way back when, It wasn't uncommon for people to go to the US to work for a few years to saving money before going back home, so, naturally, they gravitated to places with existing communities that provided a support network and where they could live without needing English (they were there temporarily, so why bother learning).

Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee and everywhere in between are still rife with ethnic churches, national halls, cultural centers, stores, butchers and so on for various groups.
A bunch of my ancestors started coming over in the early 19th century to work in the Pennsylvania coal mines for a few years to save up money and then go back home. From the family stories it seemed like a common thing to do and they'd come over in large groups, work together, and then go back home together.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 5, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Eastern Europe: we don't know that this is racist yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That would explain the "Tusk thinks in English, not Polish" article.