Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh, seems like I broke the old thread. I'll just repost myself then...

In Budapest, about 2500 protestors gathered to defend freedom of speech in... Finland? :crossarms: Yes actually, the Finnish Christian Democratic MP and former interior minister Päivi Räsänen has been at court today in Helsinki facing accusations of incitement against homosexuals. Defense claims she was just citing the Bible and therefore this falls within religious freedom but the prosecutor claims that as a political authority she should think of other ways of addressing sexual minorities than painting them as immoral degenerates.

She has received support from a bunch of US senators, too. If she's found guilty and charged with fines, then whoopee, maybe USA will call us the den of evil or something Soros related and send Marines to liberate us! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Czechia is coming home.

Svalbard is, at least in part, also in Eastern Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arktikugol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Budzilla posted:

2 practical problems getting in the way of that. Russia and China. Mongolia is lucky she has been independent for as long as she has been.

You could say Mongolia hasn't been fully sovereign until the fall of USSR, so not long. Since then it has drifted closer to China economically, but position between two nuclear states could mean that neither one will dare assert too much control over the country. And having a neutral buffer between them is just good for their mutual relations, given the past...

I think we could still work out a membership in the Nordic Council as long as their reps are willing to speak Swedish.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Speaking of our language, it was preserved mostly in spoken form until 1850, when serfdom got abolished. That marked renaissance of Latvian language and the beginning of Latvian literature.

You can't prove that it was ever spoken before that! You guys just invented it whole cloth to confuse everyone :colbert:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

The Finnish-Estonian-Hungarian connection has also appeared in a few pen-and-paper rpg's where it usually means that someone who knows Hungarian can get by in Finnish, which is very much not the case in real life. These games seem to have been written by people who speak neither.

I feel sorry for you son if you can't make do with all the vocabulary that we share with Hungarian. For example

nuolla - nyal 'to lick'
niellä - nyel 'to swallow'
miniä - meny 'daughter in law'
voi - vaj 'butter'
vesi - víz 'water'
veri - vér 'blood'
mehiläinen - méh 'bee'
mesi - méz 'nectar, honey'

You could have a rich conversation with all of that!

...mostly the similarity is in grammar, really. An interesting factor is that while Hungarians have retained the language, genetically they're very different from other Fenno-Ugrians. Steppe raiders go around a lot more than reindeer herders and hunter gatherers, if you know what I mean :quagmire:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Good news, everyone!

The Sims 4 expansion pack My Wedding Stories will be published in Russia after all! :woop::dance::woop: EA originally came to the conclusion that Russia's anti-homo propagation laws would prevent the local publication of the pack, which very noticeably allows same sex weddings as featured in the pack's trailers.

But they forgot that the game already allows homosexual relations, which is why the game is Adults Only in Russia, and the anti-homo propaganda law only forbids gay propaganda to minors! Hahaha, what a bunch of klutzes!

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-sims-4-my-wedding-stories-will-be-released-in-russia-after-all-unaltered-and-unchanged/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wait, Prima Nocta is not part of the sacrament??

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Hilarious part is that Lukashenko wasnt informed at all, in advance. He apparently got a call from Putin at 5 in the morning. Right now they are attacking Ukraine from BY territory and he is only calling security council meeting to decide something. Everything was decided without you, friendo.

Somehow I don't think he was surprised, I mean he's already given Russia free hands to act from their territory and must have expected this.

It's funny though that this happened right after the Olympics. Like a clock! This prompted me to look up Belarus' medals from this and the last games.

Sochi 2014: 4 gold, 1 bronze
Pyongyang 2018: 2 gold, 1 silver
Beijing 2022: 2 silver

Now THAT must hurt Batka's ego more!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

alex314 posted:

I wonder how much of refugee crisis we'll have. There's probably 2 million Ukrainians in Poland already, so I imagine they can take care of their friends/relatives in short term. If it jumps to 4 million then first time after WW2 Poland will have a significant ethnic minority numbers. I imagine it will take a total of 5 seconds for Kremlin propaganda mills to start stirring up poo poo.

Once Putin cuts off the gas, every household will be issued four refugees. Wrap them around you to stay warm!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

But what about toilet paper? Are people hoarding tp yet?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

a podcast for cats posted:

Didn't see this bit of news mentioned elsewhere, but this is an excellent example of why both Latvia and Estonia (and EU in general) should have Russian speaking public media channels - broadcast, print and internet - that serves quality content.

https://twitter.com/SofiOksanen/status/1496949351863705600

Translation of the story:

quote:

The Roskomnadzo office that watches media in Russia has sent a threat letter to Estonian public broadcasting company ERR.

The office demands ERR to remove from their rus.rr.ee site a news story about the breaking of war in Ukraine. The article in question is a short news story published on Thursday morning in which Ukraine's foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba tells Russian president Vladimir Putin to started a full scale assault on Ukraine.

The watch official threatens to prevent access to the Estonian broadcaster's Russian language site in Russia if the article is not removed within one day.

ERR says that they will not abide with the Russian official's demand.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:same:

We were today at demonstration for over an hour. Had to leave when our toes started to freeze.

At home I listened on radio about a woman who got through to Poland, she had queued for two days outdoors.

(Just open the border, ffs.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I am here Ive been sleeping 3-4 hours a day and my head is boiling mad from doomscrolling and calling aunt in Mariupol

May your aunt stay safe and well, and you get a proper sleep soon. Seriously, I'm concerned about that amount of 💤

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

I don't really have the expertise or social media presence to do much more than spitball an idea, but it seems possible to me to use COVID measures as a tool of civil disobedience.

For how long do you have to self-isolate in Russia if you feel sick? And how difficult would it be to fake a test result?

The police have cited covid restrictions to arrest anti-war protesters. They will interprete every rule to break even the slightest signs of opposition.

I have another idea, it involves placing a ludicrously long table between you and the cops so they can't reach you... I haven't refined it any further yet because I would need a table for testing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

What I was referring to is organizing a COVID "blue flu" in lieu of going on strike.

Then they would just say this variant is harmless, go back to work.

And yes, they would still cite the covid restrictions to arrest you in a prohibited gathering.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, Finnish media for instance mainly uses the Belarusian spelling Alyaksandr Lukashenka.

Lukashenko is often used too, because it means 'should I read?' in Finnish and in this country puns are the only form of humour.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fun Russian trivia: Marx's Capital was translated into Russian before the Holy Bible (1872 vs. 1876).

quote:

The translation began in 1813, after the establishment of the Russian Bible Society and by permission of Czar Alexander I. The complete New Testament was published in 1820 and the Old Testament was already translated up to the book of Ruth when work on the project was halted in 1825(?). In that year the Russian Bible Society was disbanded and its translation work discontinued under a more conservative emperor Nicholas I (between 1825 and 1855) due to its suspected seditious influence on the Russian population. It was again resumed and completed in the next reign, of Alexander II.

After all, Church Slavonic is God's native language :catholic:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

God has a very politically loaded ethnic identity it seems --- (North) Macedonian.

Professor Henry Jones : The Word of God.

Marcus Brody : No, Henry. Try not to talk.

Professor Henry Jones : The Home of God.

Indiana Jones : The Home of God... Macedonia.

Professor Henry Jones : But in the old parchments, it is FYROM.

Indiana Jones : M-...

[he steps on the "M" and almost falls to his death; he scrambles back up]

Indiana Jones : Oh, *idiot*! In old inscriptions Macedonia begins with an "F"!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I suggest that we call that one dude just Nikita because of this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cyrillic is fine until you get to phonemes completely missing in Russian. Häyhä [ˈhæy̯hæ] is not quite Хяухя (or even Гяухя by the older standard)... which is the kind of shibboleth FDF uses to recognize friends from foes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This is me months ago when the paper bags that I like to use for my lunch sandwiches were out of stock because the supplier couldn't get material for them. I had to get a lunch box instead, wtf.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Interestingly, at one point there was a form of recognizing the marital status in a woman's surname in Finnish language, and it stemmed from Swedish/German.

Traditionally feminity could be indicated in words describing an occupation or status with a -tar/tär suffix (comes from tytär = daughter). So king is kuningas but queen is kuningatar. Actor is näyttelijä, actress is näyttelijätär. You get the point.

In 1800's the society was transforming in cities and a new kind of social life developed in which the wives of dignitaries insisted on getting recognized by their husbands' titles. This was copied from Swedish because many of them still were Swedes, so Swedish doktorska (wife of doctor) would become tohtorska in Finnish. This was done with every even slightly prestigious title, so army wives would get called kapteeniska or luutnantiska, in university you might meet a professorska and at church a pastorska or rovastinna (the -nna suffix came from German, e.g. der Lehrer - die Lehrerin).

But it didn't end there, what rich people do first the poor people try to follow. The wives of working men couldn't use nice titles, but instead the husband's family name would be used. So the wife of Litmanen would be referred to as Litmaska etc. This practise wasn't ever official but apparently pretty widespread, to the point where Finnish language puritans campaigned against it as unfitting.

Nowadays all of that sounds archaic, women want to be recognized for their own accomplishments and don't even have to take their husband's name, a practise which was codified in 1929 and then reversed in 1985. Before 1920 there was even no law requiring a person to have last name which is a pretty late development in Finnish language anyway, patronyms being the usual way.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

so there was some joke image about russians adopting the "Z" sign as a pro-war thing because nazis are too incompetent to draw a swastika and well, love finds a way

https://twitter.com/aktroitsky/status/1504902547794018306

i am impressed they managed to gently caress that up, like what. how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NruE4S12A

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that loving Orban lol

Maybe Vučić isn't pretending to be waving to crowds but is signalling for help

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Finland stopped doing that in 2019.

In what sense? You still can't change your legal name to endlessmonotony or name your offspring as endlessmonotony Jr. Sorry.

Even Nenonen is unacceptable as a given name. Neno would probably pass.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Intro to balsam pls. It did the rounds in my family in the nineties, when I finally got to try it I just asked “why would anyone drink this?”.

:same:

I suppose it's like Vegemite or salmiakki. And gotta say, getting used to coffee or beer took time! But we also have differences in our taste buds, so it's possible that some just can't physically get used to things that others enjoy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I think we should send the virus a get well soon card for catching a long case of zhirinovsky.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

catfry posted:

In Denmark the air raid sirens are tested once a year the first wednesday in May. There is some effort from the authorities to get some forward warning out to all the refugees. I haven't seen anyone trying to potspone the test though.

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs...ed200dpia4-.pdf

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs---beredskabsstyrelsen/dokumenter/krisekommunikation/2022/----ukr_red200a4_v2-.pdf

In Finland it's the first Monday of every month at 12.00. I recall back in the 1990's it was tested weekly.

Calling them air raid sirens is a bit misleading though, they are also used if eg. a chemical leak occurs and people should avoid outdoors.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Border station shops at Russian border should be selling Slava Ukraini, Zelensky, sunflower and Ukraine flag decals for drivers going west, and Z, Putin, Russian flag decals for eastbound cars.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SpiritOfLenin posted:

that does not look safe

You should check the building of their ministry of transportation

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

You should check the building of their ministry of transportation

Now that I'm at home, it's easier to post pictures.

Georgian ministry of transportation, Tbilisi:

Imagine being a clerk working there for first day. You keep going in circles in three dimensions, never finding either the cafeteria or your desk.

But there's more! Institute of physiology:

Palace of rituals (atheist place for wedding ceremonies):

Museum of archeology:

This one was built in 1988 so one assumes it was intended to double function as an Indiana Jones theme park.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

I'm not saying the churches are ugly. Just peculiar. Here is a more artistic example of a concrete church.

I lived across the street from that for some years. Church bells should be banned, especially on weekends.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I already posted this in the Ukraine thread, but I suppose Croatia is not in Ukraine so crossposting:

quote:

Croatian President threatens to block Finland, Sweden joining Nato unless Bosnian electoral law is reformed

Any potential application from Finland to join Nato must be ratified by all 30 member states, but Croatia's Parliament — not the President — will make that decision.

Croatian President Zoran Milanović has called on his country's parliament to vote against Finland and Sweden joining Nato, Croatian television has reported.

If the two Nordic nations decide to apply for membership of the alliance, their applications must be ratified by all 30 current member states. Croatia has been a member of Nato since 2009.

Milanović stated that Croatia's approval of any potential Finnish and Swedish application could be dependent on the reform of Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law.

In a complicated political system created after the end of war in 1995, Bosnia and Herzegovina is made up of two main administrative units that represent the three main ethnic groups — the Serb-dominated entity of Republika Srpska and the Bosniak-Croat majority Federation of BiH.

The country’s largest Croatian party, the HDZ, has demanded reforms that would give Bosnia's Croatians more power — calls that have been backed by Milanović and the Croatian government.

In an interview with Index.hr, Milanović stated that "the Croatian parliament must not ratify any country's Nato membership until Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law has been amended".

He added however that the decision on Finland or Sweden joining Nato is not in his hands, as it will be made by the Croatian Parliament.

He also said he regrets the fact that Croatia has to interfere with the Nato application of a country "as exemplary as Finland".

https://yle.fi/news/3-12418999

:dumbbravo:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Different yeasts yield wildly different breads. I've used yeasts that produced really intense beer-y smells to the bread and, hell, there's a non-zero chance someone actually used a beer or wine yeast by mistake, too.

Wouldn't a beery taste come more from malted barley, possibly hops but malt would be likelier in a bread? Especially since sourdough uses wild yeasts so there's no way to select a specific strand.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Go and find the ESC thread in GBS. There is a special voting system and live :f5: watch, give it a try!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wasn’t Finland’s entry last year some metal playing teens? I can’t remember for sure, I was very high and mostly cheering for Go_A.

Yeah, Blind Channel placed sixth in the final which is Finland's second best position of all time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mokotow posted:

For reference, Poland was extremely multicultural in the interwar period but after the war, it became one of the most monogamous countries.

Just how common was polygamy in Poland? Presumably only polygdynia was allowed :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is that the VDV training facility?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

twerking on the railroad posted:

I think you're confused. 2014 was Polina gagarina

https://youtu.be/_8oPJx3OQcU

2014 was Tolmachevy Sisters. 2015 was Polina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest#Participation_overview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Was it mentioned that EU commission has deemed Croatia ready to join Euro in January 2023? Needs to be ratified but presumably that is a done deal.