Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/02/24/warsaw-refuses-to-certify-157-micro-apartments-in-citys-hong-kong-complex/

Rich dude in Warsaw is super annoyed his genius plan of skimming the regulations did not pan out. He tried to register micro-apartments as hotel rooms he would then sell on to private “investors”. Now he’s extra mad at the city authorities. Luckily, the whole oligarch thing hasn’t really caught on, so he can go and pound sand.

Waiting for Mentzen or other Konfederacja shithead to butthurt how oppressive commies destroy free market, literally 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A fun fact to know here is that France is the second-largest manga market after Japan. This could very well be the French industrial-weeb complex moving into Poland.

Is that why Dragon Ball Z in our TV had (atrocious) French opening and French dubbing. (with Piccolo name changed to "Satan Little Heart" for some reason)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Not yellow enough.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I am not even mad anymore about all that insane poo poo PIS does (unless it's Czarnek because this dude should burn alive), I am more angry that loving cowards from KO just chickened out and decided not to come to voting.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I mean, current main opposing party is also defending JP2, just without crazy shenanigans.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://twitter.com/6_DzienTygodnia/status/1634625338830364673

Dude just compared JP2 protecting child molesters to Founding Fathers having slaves and claims that "nobody sane" accuses FF of supporting slavery. I don't even know... there's so much to unpack here, let's just throw away the whole suitcase,

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Majority of people here cannot afford it anyway.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I just miss winters with actual snow for more than 2 weeks in year. Now it's "rain, clouds and +10" from October to May and I loving hate it.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
He looks and acts like bootleg JoJo villain.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/05/10/poland-recommends-russias-kaliningrad-be-called-krolewiec/

Commission for the Standardization of Geographic Names Outside the Borders of Poland (KSNG) officially stated that "Russian exclave of Kaliningrad should exclusively be referred to in Polish using its historical Polish name of Królewiec". That means absolutely nothing in practice, but still is pretty good trolling move (especially that statement was made on May 9th).

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/04/poland-hundreds-of-thousands-march-against-rightwing-populist-government

View outside my window this morning.

We’ve has what appears to be record-breaking rally in Warsaw with half a million people attending. This was called by the main opposition party, but most other opposition parties joined too. At the end of the day, there’s no agreement in the opposition to run together, though an unstable coalition of center-right parties seems possible. Our token left that spends most days embarrassing itself is nowhere to be found.

It looks more than likely that PiS will lose power in the autumn elections. Still, the opposition lacks a strong or popular program, opposed to PiS’s Leninist “one party to destroy them all” philosophy.

It’s heartening to have seen so many people, even if most of them were older than what you’d expect in rallies like this - after all, some polls are giving us much as 9% to a nationalist/liberal/fash party coalition, mostly young people. While no one really wants to deal with them, PiS has shown it’s willing to put them on their payroll in exchange for votes.

Inside PiS, the biggest break seems to be between the main party and Solidarna Polska, a minor partner ran by Zbigniew Ziobro, a noted Piece of poo poo. Not only an ultra conservative, Ziobro is a catholic authoritarian and his party is behind all the lovely things you can imagine: abortion hardline, anti-lgbt+ laws, politicization of courts and using the prosecutor’s office as his own internal police. Luckily, his party enjoys token support, though it’s not unlikely should push come to shove and the quibbles with Kaczynski evolve into open war, Ziobro will take a few percent of the hardline vote from PiS and continue to be a force by working with the fash parties.

I’m a left voter, but the Polish left is in a decades long downward spiral, due to most of its 90’s electorate drifting to PiS, horseshoe-theory style. What’s left are two wings - the olds that manage to cling to all the actual party assets inherited post ‘89 and clinging to them, waiting for the sweet, sweet release of death, and a bunch of urban youth, discovering with glee that running a political party is a lucrative job and you can sort or skirt along for years without having to do that much legwork.

The biggest problem right now is almost 13% support for Konfederacja, pro-Russian, anti-EU ultralibertarian far right party. Konfederacja+opposition coalition will be bad, but Konfederacja+PIS coalition will be loving disaster

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Haha, “Rzecznik Prasowy” means “Press Secretary”, it’s not someone’s name.

Aw, they already corrected this. :(

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-will-sue-poland-hungary-and-slovakia-over-agricultural-bans/

I honestly don't know what to think about this whole situation. Sure, Hungary government is Putin's puppet, Slovakia government tries to be one and Poland's government is just really loving stupid and really loves to piss off its neighbors and EU, that I know. But on the other hand, price dumping prevention doesn't sound that bad and argument about "global prices" is just bad. I'm confused.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ukraine decided to ban import of vegetables and fruits from Poland. That's certainly a decision.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

I hope ceZik doesn’t turn out to be a pedo.

I hope Dem is exactly as wholesome as he seems to be.

Paladinus posted:

Also, what the hell is a pato-influencer?

Polish version of Trailer Park Boys, but IRL.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Where’s the YouTuber party?

Konfederacja.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

OddObserver posted:

What's the story with the 0% party (United Poland?)

bunch of dudes and gals who decided PiS isn't right-wing and Christian enough.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Nowa Lewica decided to shot themselves in the feet by choosing the most bland, milquetoast candidate ever who also happens to have neoliberal views on economy to pre-election debate in national TV. Why?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really like our tradition of "bazarek" ("marketplace"), a wink wink nudge nudge website with voting results predictions masked as "food prices", with food products representing political parties and prices representing estimated results. PiS being "pistachios", KO being "coriander" ("kolendra") and so on.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I've never saw so many people voting, most of them refusing the referendum ballot, also my 5yo son saw a picture of John Paul II hanging on the wall and yelled "yellow face*!" so it was definitely the highlight of the day.

*god, it sounds so bland in English, what's better translation of "morda"?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Bazarek predictions look really good, at this point I'm mostly afraid Slovakia scenario (good exit polls, poo poo actual vote results)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Less than 20 minutes to go. Is it true the government is about to swing left in Poland?

No chance, more like "centrist/centrist-right" instead of "far right".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It seems that PiS age is over.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Left is pretty much dead, KO doesn't even need them in coalition anymore seeing how Trzecia Droga has over 2x votes. At least Konfederacja lost too.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bemused Observer posted:

Edit: also, I struggle to imagine what kind of economic policy a KO/TD/Lewica government could possibly agree on.

They are probably going to ditch Lewica, KO and TD alone have majority

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
TVP is on severe copium right now, they just mentioned the idea of PiS and Lewica coalition. xD

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
plywood poles are loving worst.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

mmkay posted:

Eastern Europe: possibility of eating dogs wasn't what our voters expected

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Continuing the dog topic, but with much nicer news - Karol Litewka, Nowa Lewica candidate from Sosnowiec, put a photo of a dog from a local shelter on his banner and won by a landslide, with over 40.000 votes - more than ANY other candidate from his electoral constituency, including Nowa Lewica leader himself, and twice as many as all Konfederacja candidates combined.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

His claim to fame was rallying on Twitter against Disney reducing Lola Bunny’s cleavage in Space Jam 2 or something.

Not only he did the "remember what they took from you" meme unironically, he also illustrated it with actual rule34 of Lola Bunny.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Kosiniak-Kamysz, the head of the rural PSL, which comprises half of TD, was already on the radio saying how he’ll never allow 12-week abortion to be legalized.

He just said the same about same-sex marriages.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

armpit_enjoyer posted:

But did the doggo get adopted :ohdear:

I've checked, he used photos of four different dogs, all of them got adopted.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yes please.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
This entire case was an absolute shitshow, bunch of priests basically raped a sexworker (who never agreed to group sex), and when said sexworker passed out, one of priests called ambulance, but rest of them did not allowed medics inside rectory. Medics had to call the police.

And said bishop made an official nonapology in which he literally stated "I'm sorry if anyone is offended".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

I’ve had a train trip that was a bit of blast from the past, especially the return leg. The WARS waiter was either drunk or hopped up on drugs (very friendly but also would forget everyone’s order immediately after taking it) and they were selling vodka shots unofficially from under the counter. It felt like the 90s.

It’s also fun to listen to the train director attempting to deliver their line through the PA. They have to welcome the passengers on board after every station, give basic information about the route and travel time and advise about possible connections before and after every station. 90% don’t speak English at all and are reading from a cue card, but they’ll usually just mumble through most of the sentences making English-like noises. The dude yesterday just gave up halfway through a sentence and stopped.

I don’t hold it against them - if anything, if PKP Intercity demands them to use English, they should pay for their training but since it’s a privatized poo poo show, nobody gives a gently caress. At least they don’t play Chopin clips on every station like they do on the Pendolino.

I must've been very lucky so far, because every time I use TLK, English lines through the PA are at least understandable. Anyway, while I still prefer Koleje Wielkopolskie (clean, modern trains, average prices, no delays), TLK standards are quite good, especially compared to Przewozy Regionalne. Prices are atrocious tho.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Sooo, Razem, the only actual left wing party in Poland, has decided to leave coalition after literally ALL of its proposals were ignored in coalition agreement signed today. In aforementioned agreement there's no mention about civil unions, no mention about promised payment raise for teachers (big part of electoral campaign, teachers salary is abysmal and previous minister of education was one of the worst motherfuckers in already hosed up government), nothing about liberalization of abortion laws.

gently caress.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

just not taking any seats in the government.

I highly doubt they would get them anyway, so it makes their decision kinda sour grape situation.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bemused Observer posted:

So basically we're in for 4 years of slashing public services and not doing anything about abortion and civil partnerships, and then another takeover by PiS and/or Konfederacja?

Yes.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Don't worry.

Germany will come to your rescue. :v:

I, for one, welcome our new German overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Remember how new government promised to take religion out of schools?

Appearently their great, revolutionary idea is that religion will still be teached in schools, but only on first and last lesson. xD