Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rob Filter posted:

Suggested thread titles:
"Please try to enjoy each post equally"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect this could all go in a magical realist direction, where the point isn't the answers so much as the juxtapositions created by the real mixing with the unreal -- there's that moment in the second episode where they imply the severed floor is so big that you can get lost trying to find other departments, and that departments actively hide the location of their offices from each other.

Also the path that Mark takes to work in episode one is much, much longer than the path Helly takes when she's trying to escape in episode two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

There's definitely something weird going on in the outer world, that dinner with nobody eating

I assumed this was mocking Lumon's idea of "work life balance"; it's a company town with a company diner, but no one eats there -- and the only difference between the regular seating area and the VIP area is a small sign and rope.

Even the sign on the card ("PIP'S VIP") is just so goddamn awful; it looks like it should rhyme, but it doesn't, in another example of balance that's gone awry.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

I was referring to the dinner party with the empty red placemats and a tall glass of water. After that scene it cuts to the sandwich prepared by the sister character which is the only time I've seen anyone eat outside.

Ohhh. Yeah, I think they were just pretentious fucks.

Petey's making a stew when he's hanging out in that greenhouse, and Patricia Arquette brings over some food in episode two, so I think your argument doesn't quite fit unfortunately.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The severed floor could easily be an excellent Valt Tec fallout bunker.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's still one car in the parking lot when Marc leaves at the end of the day, which I assumed was Helly's.

I've no idea how they'd explain her sliced up arm.

Speaking of, I assume she could keep cutting and cutting until the first Helly decides to quit her job, so Lumon probably has a way to deal with that kind of thing. She wouldn't even need to write something, she could do damage to herself with the lanyard (or the cord itself) in the elevator on the ride up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I imagine they demonise the departments in order to alienate employees from each other, so management can pit teams against each other. You can see how Helly is slowly being indoctrinated into the workforce, but her sarcastic sense of humour is fighting off the sheer stupidity of all the dumb myths and propaganda the place has created for itself. The whole conversation about killing Mark to convince other teams that they're as crazy as an intimidation tactic -- because everyone is crazy down here. The oldest people there are fully indoctrinated into the system, doddering around in a slightly senile company loving stupor.

It's loving terrifying.

I can see this running for years on this concept -- a second season seeing the gearing up office expansion, as more severed employees start turning up and situation starts to factionalise more aggressively, the lower level turning into a small fantasy microcosm of insanity. Maybe someone discovers the brother-in-law's self-help book and accidentally forms a cult of identity around the guy's insipid loving personality. There are probably people who never want to quit, who want to live a permanent life in this weird underworld cult society. This show could go completely banana if it wanted to, and be loving amazing.

Oh, and I'm gonna call it -- the direction loves to bring attention to things cut in half (you know, severed). Fish tank with two fish, frame cutting things in half or doubling images with symmetry. Paintings are cut in half, television screens bisected by a line so two people can talk to each other, mirrored carpark, two layered candle, the works.

But sometimes there's three, like in Mrs. Selvig's office, which has a triptych. Or when she comes over she talks about how one of his three lights isn't working, only two are. So, my dumb logic, is that there are three layers to this. Maybe that's the "code detector" layer of the elevator, where people check you all over for writing. Maybe they hide this customs body cavity checking layer by controlling the clocks down on the Severed floor, which is why everyone has to swap watches on the way in.

Maybe there is no board, and it's just middle managers faking it all the way down.

Who knows, maybe this is all dumb. But it's fun to think about, and I'm really enjoying being in this headspace.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

we know there are non-severed workers operating on the severed floor

I think this isn't as straightforward as it appears. I suspect thr relationship between Mark's neighbour and his boss is way more complicated than it appears, than if one of them was simply lying.

I reckon it's part of why she was stealing that candle. To get something for her "real" home.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Three thoughts

1. The Lumen facility and grounds looks like a giant brain. The main Lumen complex looks like an enormous square block that's been inserted into the middle of the brain.

2. Also cool set design poo poo: the office hallways are designed to also resemble an experimental laboratory maze. Welcome to the rat race!

3. No way is Helly dead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

Is Devs anything like this show? I'm out of episodes of this to watch and want something more that's similar. I tried Party Down cause it has Adam Scott haha.

No, not really.

You might get something out of it though, I find it's got that his and miss reaction among audiences that Legion had. Some cool stuff though, especially early on.

I'd try Servant tbh. Maybe Mr. Robot. Visually interesting shows with long planned out mythology and high pressure tension. Counterpart is less tense, but might be worth a look too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Innie Helly fighting her outie by taking a poo poo in the elevator at the end of every shift.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

Just drop your pants in the elevator at the end of each day, for a laugh

Reckon this was why Dylan was sent to the Break Room? He seems less rebellious than Helly is, or that they've implied Mark to have been. But they've all definitely been there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What about bring your kid to work day?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

It's weird about the meal thing, like they specifically don't have lunch at work. The most they get (at least we're shown) is the vending machine snacks or a rare melon/waffle party.

I wonder how much of that is about making sure that the severed workers can't affect the biology or metabolism of their surface counterparts?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Nastier Nate posted:

well if your innie does a poo poo job at the office and gets fired you essentially die so thats some motivation.

I wonder how many severed workers refuse to leave work because of this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I can see why they cast comedian character actors in a lot of the roles, like Adam Scott, Britt Lower and Zac Cherry.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe she's the Greg the Egg of the Eagan family and has to successfully do like a year of being severed to get into the inner circle!

severspringa

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ever since the "three light bulbs, two on, one off" i've been speculating about a third personality, where maybe the real or realer job takes place. Even though i'm convinced that the numbers do have some significance.

Yeah, same. There's also the painting in Cobell's office, and other little visual notes built around threes -- normally that's something I'd dismiss out of hand, but this is a fairly formally driven show that I'm open to it.

SpaceAceJase posted:

It's unusual that Ms. Casey seems robotic and less human. Emotional severance?

I reckon it's a consequence of her role at Lumon. Wellness seems to be about neutralising the severed worker's feelings, to return them to a pliable state where they can work better. It's not clear if she ever sees anyone outside that capacity either -- certainly, she seems intimidated, and a bit thrilled, by the idea of doing field work with Helly. I think she's just incredibly sheltered.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 12, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

euphronius posted:

With the stair well didn’t she turn back immediately ? Or did she go in the stairwell , “escape” go home and then come back through the stair well ?

Sorry serious question I am confused

Nah it's immediate.

I've been assuming it's some sort of transmission from a mounted device, that signals the chip to swap memories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

edit: Oh gently caress, it's over. Okay, somehow I got it in my head this was the finale so I was wondering how they're going to wrap up while introducing all this "oh poo poo" but they got more rope to give.

We're just over halfway through. Nine episodes this season, and it's been renewed for a nine episode second season they've just started filming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sure, but I think people are suspect of the sequence because there'd be no apparent reason for it to be so spooky and mysterious if it wasn't related to the Lumon plot in some way, shape or form.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm utterly gobsmacked that this show is on loving Apple TV+. I remember the early days when creatives were complaining about how Tim Cook only wanted bland family friendly fare (I can't find the specific article but I am almost certain I read at some point he didn't even want shows that showed technology in a negative light). And this show goes against ALL of that AND seems to take a couple of shots at Apple to boot. Either Cook is oblivious or maybe he got his head out of his rear end and is letting his underlings take some risks for once.

This was abandoned so fast that it wasn't even present in any of the premier shows -- even in something as silly as See. There's exactly one iDevice in that entire show, and it belongs to the lead villain.

The other shows they presented at launch were The Morning Show (specifically a show about sexual assault), Dickinson (unapologetically queer) and For All Mankind (violent, morally ambivalent concerning the US, emotionally draining and dark), Servant (dead baby show).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

More than Devs and Upload and all the other prestige limited event recent shows, Severed makes me think of Dollhouse. At the end of s2 its going nuts with severed soldiers taking orders from the severed whitehouse.

I think the Dollhouse thing is definitely there, and not just because the shows share a cast member.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's too much to the plot and setting here; there's heaps of narrative rope left in this show.

Lumon's plans to expand and repopulate the Severed floor, for instance, and also the plot I'm calling Ricken's revolution -- both seem like slow burn plots for later seasons.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Besides the music which i mentioned in another thread, I like how the corridors are used to disorient you; in the first episode when we see Mark go to work for the first time the way the corridors kind of sway sickeningly behind him as he walks is really unsettling.

They're also doing The Shining thing where the layout of the complex doesn't make internal or consistent sense. It's very cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of Irv, what the hell was under his fingernails early on? Seemed important but they haven't followed up yet.

It's goo. It's the first sign that he's hallucinating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spraynard Kruger posted:

It's curious that Milchick was so keen to get it back, maybe there are objects that can pass through the code detectors? I'd need to go back and give it another look, but when Mark almost hit Helly in the parking lot, didn't she have the flowers she got from Milchick on the severed floor?

Helly recieved those flowers from Milchick when she returned from the severed floor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tweak posted:

then maybe one day when theyre sufficiently indoctrinated that big lever controlling the chips never gets set back to, “off”

Ms. Cobell is wearing a severance chip around her neck. If you get the chip removed while inside, can your personality even switch back? Has Cobell, in some sense, stolen the body she's using?

Can you juke the system by switching before heading into work, effectively swapping who's in control and where? Like maybe the season could end with Mark trapped down on the severed floor, and his severed version running around upstairs in the real world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I have a feeling that if you asked Mark before all this Petey stuff happened he probably would have responded similarly to Helley's outie. Maybe not quite as harsh as she was but he definitely wouldn't have quit.

Yeah, he got very defensive about Lumon and severance on his first date with Nikki M James' character.

Upstairs Helly was also having her life threatened, and she's been shown to react aggressively when she feels in danger, so that video could have been a show of force. It was certainly something of a bluff -- she never actually punished Helly for trying to kill her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Seems like it would be a weird move to try to link this show in people's minds with that pile of absolute garbage.

Also, I don't remember that happening? I think the tech guy turned out to be the one who invented the technology or something like that, and the doctor was secretly a fake personality 'cause the real doctor died, but no boss going under cover as a regular employee.

It's a big plot point in the last few episodes of season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Cobell would just let everything go to voicemail purely to spite Mark.

She's going to have a meltdown when she realises that Rickon's book has inspired an uprising, and that it's all her fault. Just putting the two of them together in a small space is gonna lead to some amazing fireworks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't it on her for taking it downstairs and then not bringing it back? She's kinda a terrible spy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Problematic Pigeon posted:

No one will believe me but before watching the episode, I laid out my grand theory to the only other person I know who watches the show, and it included Gemma=Ms. Casey but I neglected to post it so now I can't claim any Internet Cred :(

Anyway, here's the rest of it: The number-sorting task MDR is doing is actually rewiring or rebooting minds, probably those of people who are brain-dead or otherwise personality-less (like a clone or something). Specifically, they are "taming the tempers four" or whatever it was Cobel said when praying in front of her creepy Keir shrine. Each file is a different person, and the grid of numbers is a synaptic map. The files expire because the brains can't be kept in stasis forever--eventually they'll degrade--so it is important to complete as much as possible before the time limit is up and they have activate whatever tech they have to wake the brain up with its new personality. Maybe there's another department that does the opposite of MDR--putting numbers in rather than out, thereby instilling the 9 Core Principles. The goal is to create people perfected according to Keir Eagen's philosophy.

So far they haven't been too successful, because not enough files are being completed, and those that are not fast enough to avoid some brain degradation, hence the drive to meet quotas. The results of MDR's efforts are the people Petey mentioned who never get to leave. The only one we see interacting with is Ms. Casey because she is the only one who is able to interact with people at least somewhat normally. This is because she was the subject of the greatest refinement ever: Allentown, aka Mark's Freshman Fluke.

Just as the refiners are able to subconsciously recognize emotions in certain numbers, Mark subconsciously recognized his wife in Allentown, and his familiarity with her meant that he was able to complete it in record time, a feat no one--not even Mark--has been able to replicate because of their connection. Given that Cobel is interested in "trying something new" with Ms. Casey and Mark, and that she seems intent on catching whether or not Mark and Casey/Gemma's connection is causing information or emotions to leak between personalities, Mark may have been specifically recruited to Lumon to refine Gemma himself. I don't know if they actually told Mark anything about this--I kinda doubt it, I don't think his actions really support that, but I can't be certain. Either way, Cobel at least intended it.

Yeah, I think you're on to something here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's in episode 1 or 2, but they obscure it by fading the dialogue out halfway through the discussion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't believe we're (possibly) meeting the board next week. I never thought we'd get to that point this season.

This show has been very quickly paced, surprisingly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I can't believe that they really did the muffled voice thing, like the board in Control, when they were talking to the assistant lady.

The people who make this show seem influenced by gaming -- they've cited The Stanley Parable as an influence -- so I wonder if it's deliberate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's something horrific here about creating a new workforce of severed labourers, and I feel like the show is driving in this direction. Could Gema's body be legally dead, but the severwnce body be owned by Lumon?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two thoughts:

1. It's absolutely horrific to sever a woman to have a baby. Just the idea of creating a person who just exists to be a vessel, and gently caress her if she decides to fall in love with the kid, and then she has the baby and just dies -- until the eventuality that perhaps the main persona wants another child. Then she gets to do it all over again.

2. The Soylent Green goodbye video that Burt made for his ritual suicide firing has a really cool gag, where the main Burt is on the video tape waving goodbye to his right hand side, but the severed Burt is standing on his left. Milchick just didn't give a fuuuuck about watching the video beforehand so Burt G. could be positioned correctly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's been in stuff for years. Mostly funny or grotty walk on parts in big films, but he was a season regular for the first season of YOU, which is where I first noticed the guy.

He's a good actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

insider posted:

Clues have all been laid out especially everything Milchick said except for one. Everytime we've seen Mark go up or down the elevator the guard is right there. When it is Hellys departure time, when she tries to kill herself, the guard is very obviously not there. Why would a guard leave his post basically at the most important time of day (entrance and departure) unless he knew the person who was departing that time was above scrutiny?

He could be lazy and not give a poo poo. e.g. letting Marc fumble around with his second card in the most recent episode.

I'm not saying that Helly couldn't be "important", but I wouldn't hang too much importance on this reveal in case it's not actually coming down the pipe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

If there's going to be an actual reveal, as in showing people, there's gotta be a curveball of some kind. One that throws Cobel for a loop and get all weird with someone in MDR.

--edit: Ricken being on the board. :haw:

--edit: Looking the cast up on IMDB and seeing that the Ricken actor has a second undisclosed character name, only next to whoever plays Kier, I guess I'm probably in the right ballpark.

I wouldn't use IMDB as a source here -- particularly since the "second character" Michael Chernus is playing is just a misspelled version of his character's regular name.

IMDB isn't reliable, particularly for information that comes out before the episode airs. For instance, Annie McNamara was credited for every episode this season, despite only appearing in the premier. After each episode came out, her name was dropped from the episode cast to more accurately reflect the characters in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always understood that Cobel *hates* Mark with barely restrained violence, regardless of which version she's interacting with..