Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

isn’t this from like 2015? did something new happen regarding this buffoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Judakel posted:

1000 vehicles actually.... wait 20,000

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

it gives people hope! and as we know, hope is the spark that will light the fire that will burn putin down

hope is a HUGE part of media literacy. didn’t you read the op?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ukraine is winning the wiki war by redirecting everything ever named Kiev anywhere through Kyiv,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev_(disambiguation) leads to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyiv_(disambiguation)

quote:

Principality of Kiev, a successor of the Kievan Rus' state
Kiev (band), an American indie rock band

KIEV-LP, Outlaw Country Radio FM radio station in Camas, Washington, US

KRLA (former call letters: KIEV 870), a radio station in Los Angeles, California, US

KROQ (1500 AM) (former call letters: KIEV 1500), a former radio station in Culver City, California, US

Kiev Restaurant, a former restaurant in New York City

Kiev (brand), a Soviet-era brand of cameras

Kiev (computer), a Soviet computer system of the mid-1950s
2171 Kiev, a minor planet

Kiev class (disambiguation)

Kiev-class aircraft carrier, a class of Soviet aircraft carriers commissioned in 1975

Soviet aircraft carrier Kiev, the first ship of the class

Kiev-class destroyer, a class of unfinished Soviet destroyers of 1939–41

:owned:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is from 2018 lol.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-turn-to-its-asian-past-1530889247

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zegermans posted:

you know who else compared the Russians to Mongols

Karl “Just Askin’ the Jewish Question” Marx!

quote:

It is in the terrible and abject school of Mongolian slavery that Muscovy was nursed and grew up. It gathered strength only by becoming a virtuoso in the craft of serfdom. Even when emancipated, Muscovy continued to perform its traditional part of the slave as master. At length Peter the Great coupled the political craft of the Mongol slave with the proud aspiration of the Mongol master, to whom Genghis Khan had, by will, bequeathed his conquest of the earth.

quote:

That the Pole Duchinski [8] in Paris should declare the Great Russian race to be not Slavic, but Mongolian, and should have tried to prove this with a great show of erudition, was to be expected from the standpoint of a Pole. Nevertheless, his contention is not correct. It is not the Russian peasantry, but the Russian nobility, which is strongly alloyed with Mongolian-Tartar elements. Henri Martin, [9] the Frenchman, took the theory from Duchinski and ‘the inspired Gottfried Kinkel’ [10] has translated Martin and has thrust himself forward as an ardent friend of Poland, in order to make the democratic party forget his servile homage to Bismarck.

That, on the other hand, the Russian state, as against Europe and America, in its policy represents Mongolism, is of course a truth that has by now become a commonplace and therefore accessible even to people like Gottfried and the Baltic cabbage-junkers, philistines, priests and professors. The Baltic-German outcry must, therefore, in spite of everything, be exploited, because it puts the great German power, Prussia, in a ‘ticklish’ position. Everything that arouses antipathy on our part towards those ‘representatives of German culture’ is, precisely on that account, deemed worthy of protection in the eyes of Prussia. Another example of the crass ignorance of the pamphleteer: in his opinion the abandonment of Russian possessions in North America was merely a diplomatic trick on the part of the Russian government, which, be it remarked in passing, was very hard pressed for costs. But the main point is this: the American Congress has recently published the documents relating to the transaction. These include, among other things, a report of the American envoy in which he writes explicitly to Washington: the acquisition is in the meantime not worth a cent economically, but – but thereby England is cut off from the sea on one side through the Yankees and the reversion of the whole of British North America to the US is accelerated. That’s the secret of the whole affair!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1499064904342544391?s=20&t=cwigLL2fx_raZ5TkIwG9RQ

The Russians are trying to bring the Indian nationalists into the meme war. The West thought racism would give them an edge in the posting war, but they may soon meet their match.

I think this may have to do with the Indian student who was killed. now, watch this drive:

https://twitter.com/lamedavola/status/1499070302743003136?s=21

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

welcome back.

thank you for the warm welcome to the web’s most troll-free space to discuss the war in Ukraine, btw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

When the wealthy go to war, it is the poor who die.

generals gathered in their masses
just like witches at black masses

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

THS2 posted:

dont care what Matthijs Lenaerts thinks, what does Matthijs Krul think

https://twitter.com/mccainenl/status/1499160332929048577?s=21

hth

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1499175218983489541?t=7CqUIRaQVCSgyZwSzvQXhw&s=19

Lol every Western firm is performatively severing ties with Russia

The unintended consequence is that people will just go to China to get their stuff

checked to confirm some of our faves are still there:

- kino
- grazhdanskaya oborona
- egor letov
- sektor gaza
- alexander bashlachev

gently caress me I better save this stuff.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

ukranians are gonna get m4a before we do lmfao

on this day, we are all Ukrainians, friend

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

more on that

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/biden-administration-looking-whether-to-apply-or-waive-sanctions-on-india-under-caatsa-us-diplomat-2800400

quote:

Sanctions For India Over S-400 Deal With Russia? US Diplomat Said This
Russia-Ukraine War: India drew criticism from US lawmakers, both Republicans and Democrats, at a hearing on the "US relationship with India" for being among 35 nations that abstained Wednesday from a UN vote to rebuke Russia's invasion.

Sanctions For India Over S-400 Deal With Russia? US Diplomat Said This
The Biden administration is looking whether to apply or waive sanctions on India for its purchase of the S-400 Triumf missile defence system from Russia, under Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), said US diplomat Donald Lu said on Wednesday (local time).

Lu's remarks came as India drew criticism from US lawmakers, both Republicans and Democrats, at a hearing on the "US relationship with India" for being among 35 nations that abstained Wednesday from a UN vote to rebuke Russia's invasion.

A concern that stood out repeatedly in the hearing was the India-US defence security cooperation and whether India would be sanctioned for its purchase of the S-400 Triumf missile defence system from Russia, under CAATSA.

Lu said that the Biden administration is yet to decide on applying sanctions on India under CAATSA.

"What I can say is that India is a really important security partner of ours now and that we value moving forward that partnership," he said.

As the US strengthens its ties with India as a pivotal regional counterweight to China, the Biden administration has delayed enforcement of a law ordering sanctions on India for trading with Russia.

India has been the largest importer of Russian arms since 2016. Lu informed the Sun panel that India had recently cancelled orders of Russian MiG-29 fighter aircraft, helicopters and anti-tank weapons, and he projected that the new sanctions would motivate other countries to do likewise.

He told lawmakers it is unlikely Russia will be able to make new sales or provide maintenance to customers for existing systems.

"My view is that it's going to be very hard for anyone to buy major weapon systems from Moscow in the coming months and years, given sweeping financial sanctions that the administration, with the support of Congress has levelled...I would guess that India is one of those countries worried about that," Lu added.

Notably, voting results displayed on screens at the UN General Assembly showed that 141 nations voted in favour of the move condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine and five nations were against it, with 35 countries, including India, abstaining.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

my guess: don’t worry about it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Freezer posted:

He's gonna do something, and you know it's gonna be good!

he’s building power

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endman posted:

She's from USAID, which is just an alternate spelling of CIA

USAID is pronounced “you said”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

creative whataboutism, as a movement

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he gets really mad when you call him vlad (diminutive form of name vladimir). this is said to be highly disrespectful in rus’ culture.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i wonder how Sergei polunin is doing lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hey dumbass, there is no such thing as a "human nature" that makes people do bad things like rape and murder or enslave. These are atrocities committed by a minority of the population, and those behaviors only manifest because of particular material conditions and stimuli. The social rationale for these behaviors is all post-hoc and self-serving to the exploitative rulership class. You could just as easily look at thousands of years of prehistoric Man and claim that slavery is only possible because of agricultural surplus, and it's civilization which is the aberration to human nature.

Shut the gently caress up.

You punished me for telling you my fantasies
I'm breakin' all the rules I didn't make
Express yourself don't repress yourself
You took my words and made a trap for silly fools
You held me down and tried to make me break
Express yourself don't repress yourself
Did I say something true?
Oops, I didn't know I couldn't talk about sex
(I must've been crazy)
Did I have a point of view?
Oops, I didn't know I couldn't talk about you
(What was I thinking)
And I'm not sorry (I'm not sorry)
I'm not sorry
(It's human nature) It's human nature
And I'm not sorry (I'm not sorry)
I'm not sorry
I'm not your bitch don't hang your poo poo on me
(It's human nature)

https://twitter.com/hunterschwarz/status/1497387205647429634?s=21

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hmm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

“fascism does not prevent speech, it compels speech.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

ya we should sanction whoever backed the military coup that turned honduras into a charnel house

I swear to god someone used the phrase charnel house a few times like 2 months ago and now it’s everywhere.

someone graph the search results please

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

its a common phrase maybe you should read more

i personally utter the phrase multiple times a day for lifestyle reasons but im interested in how it’s taken off like a language bug, almost like the way a gene spreads. a gene of the mind? hmm.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bedpan posted:

wheelhouse

Baader–Meinhof Group

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kwolok posted:

It seems like you really want to shrug off the accomplishments of the Ukranians. Odd.

do you want to see more recognition of their accomplishments? is that it?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

drat. however else could they watch this movie if not in the theaters or on a foreign streaming service? the Russians will have to do without watching it at all.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

same expression

i want a picture of the bdelloid inside Ukraine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/journalismpopal/status/1498007363411972098?s=21

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Snake Dance posted:

I'm digging into every Ukrainian woman's social media accounts because I just hate Nazis that much!!!

get in line buddy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol wait didnt AP post the news? Were they using RWA as a source?

idk

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-russia-kill-andrei-sukhovetsky-b2027858.html

quote:

Russian Major General Andrei Sukhovetsky killed by Ukrainians in ‘major demotivator’ for invading army
His death, if confirmed, would be ‘major demotivator’ for Putin’s troops, says head of investigative unit

1 hour ago
A senior Russian army leader has been killed during fighting in Ukraine this week.

Andrei Sukhovetsky, the deputy commander of Russia’s 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District, was reportedly killed on Wednesday.

Vladimir Putin confirmed that a general had been killed in a speech updating the Russian people on the progress of the conflict this afternoon, eight days into the deadly invasion.

Sergey Chipilev, a deputy of the Combat Brotherhood Russian veterans group, wrote on social media: "With great pain, we learned the tragic news of the death of our friend, Major General Andrey Sukhovetsky, on the territory of Ukraine during the special operation. We express our deepest condolences to his family.”

Russian newspaper Pravda, which reported his death, said Mr Sukhovetsky graduated from the Ryazan Higher Airborne Command School in 1995, having started as a platoon commander before rising to chief of staff of the Guards airborne assault unit.

Christo Grozev, executive director of investigative journalism website Bellingcat, tweeted that confirmation of his death would be a “major demotivator” for the Russian army.

However British officials say the actual number of those killed and wounded will almost certainly be considerably higher and will continue to rise.

Shoutout to bellingcat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here’s DoD on dead general

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2954139/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

quote:

Q: Hi. So two things.

Just, the Ukrainian Armed Forces put out a statement earlier today, where they were saying, you know, "we're now moving from the defense mode to counter-offensive mode." Could you give any sense as what that means in terms of strategic change there, if there's anything you've observed?

And also, I was wondering if you could confirm Ukrainians are also claiming that they killed Russian Major General Sukhovitsky. Like, can you confirm that that actually is the case? Cause that would seem like a fairly significant casualty.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: I cannot confirm that report.

And as for their moving from defensive to counter-offensive, I think, look, I don't want to ascribe U.S. military doctrine to another military and what that means for them. They are in a much better position to describe to you what that means.

But in general, the way we would look at this, and again, that's the way we would look at it is you move from defending key terrain and defending key infrastructure and defending resources to being more on the offense against and trying to, you know, basically go from defense to offense.

So you're going from what is usually very deliberate and careful protection to changing your focus to be more aggressively going after an enemy's resources actively. Rather than responding to the enemy, you are pushing the fight to the enemy.

That is kind of what we look at it in our doctrine. I can't speak for the Ukrainians and what that's going to entail for them. All I would tell you is that we continue to see them resist and fight and defend their territory and their resources quite effectively.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

*most favored nation status.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress nato forever

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/declassified_191048.htm?selectedLocale=en posted:

Section: My country and NATO

What drove Turkey to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in 1952 in what was the first wave of enlargement? Do you know how the city of Izmir contributed to reinforcing Euro-Atlantic security during the Cold War? Discover the monumental gift Turkey offered the Alliance in 1960 and find out how a young Turkish scientist became a Nobel Prize winner with, inter alia, the help of NATO.
Turkey and its NATO Allies in 1952

You will find in us an ally animated by a spirit of whole-hearted collaboration and ready to take a full share in all the efforts directed towards the realisation of the aims of the Treaty to which we are now acceding.

Straddling two continents, with a foot both in Europe and Asia, Turkey is a multi-faceted country with a rich cultural heritage. Land of trade, agriculture and tourism, this vast country is at a crossroads of civilisations, between countries of the Middle East, Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia.  

As the Cold War developed in the post-war era, dividing Europe into Eastern and Western blocs, Turkey chose to side with Western Powers. It is this policy that led to its membership of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on 18 February 1952. Since then, NATO has been the cornerstone of Turkey’s defence and security policy.

Setting the scene

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk founded the Turkish Republic in 1923 and introduced vast reforms that led to the democratisation and modernisation of society – as early as 1934, women were granted the right to vote. Foreign policy was founded on the principle of "Peace at home, peace abroad" and sought to reinforce cooperation and regional security. For instance, Turkey initiated the Balkan entente with Greece, Romania and Yugoslavia in 1934 and the Saadabad Pact of 1937 with Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Troops leaving for Korea
Threatened on two fronts by forces of the Axis and the Soviet Union, Turkey was non-belligerent during most of the Second World War. Once over, it joined Western democracies in standing up against Soviet expansion as the Cold War started to develop. Turkey later benefited from the support of the Truman Doctrine (1947) and the Marshall Plan (1948) offered by the United States to deter communist influence and help with the economic reconstruction of post-war Europe. In 1950, Turkey sent troops in support of the United Nations to defend South Korea from the North Korean incursion across the 38th parallel. As a result of growing threats to security in Europe, it joined NATO in 1952.  

JOINING THE CLUB
As the Cold War gradually polarised international relations, putting the United States and the Soviet Union at loggerheads, Turkey saw its membership of NATO both as a security guarantee and a way of reinforcing its Western identity. Seeking NATO membership was as much a political move as it was a military one. For NATO, Turkey's capacity to provide land and sea bases, its strong military forces and its strategic importance on the south eastern flank of the Alliance, meant that the country would be a solid ally in the region. The Montreux Convention, signed on 20 July 1936, set the rules governing the passage of vessels of war through the Straits. Turkey has implemented the Convention in full transparency and impartiality since then.

It was in Lisbon, Portugal, at the ninth meeting of the North Atlantic Council on 20 February 1952 that Turkey was formally welcomed as one of NATO's first two new members, alongside Greece; two days prior, Turkey had signed its Instruments of Accession.

Support for the West was practically unanimous across the country and went beyond military and security considerations. Turkey identified itself with the West and its values, which helped the successive İnönü and Menderes governments introduce political and economic reform over two decades.  A NATO film produced in the 1950s, as part of a series on NATO member countries, captures the atmosphere of this era and the country’s main characteristics: its strategic advantages, its political and historical heritage, and its profound post-war economic transformation, as well as its industrial and military assets.

This film, together with other initiatives were taken by NATO to help members get to know each other. The photo collection below depicts the daily life of Turkish citizens from different walks of life.

Some initiatives took on a more educational aspect and consisted, for instance, in the creation of posters of the uniforms of the militaries of each member country. One such poster was produced on the Turkish armed forces.

From NATO’s point of view, Turkey was a cornerstone of Western security on its southern flank, so communicating with its citizens to explain NATO’s role was vital. NATO went to people’s doorstep with its mobile exhibition called “Caravan of Peace”. This resonated in a country where Atatürk’s mantra had been “Peace at home, peace abroad”. The “Caravan of Peace” attracted much curiosity: during a total of 29 days, over 420,000 people in Ankara, Izmir and Istanbul visited the exhibition, an equivalent of 30 per cent of these cities’ populations.

TIGHTENING LINKS
Turkey embraced NATO membership and used it as an opportunity, for instance, to reorganise its army. The United States was particularly active in offering support in many areas, including military, economic and even educational spheres; it provided military assistance for many years. In parallel, Turkey sought to maintain strong links with its other European Allies, some of whom had embarked on the adventure of constructing a “European Economic Community” of states. Turkey’s first institutional tie with Europe after the Second World War was with the Council of Europe: it became a founding member in August 1949. Later, in July 1959, Turkey applied to be associated with the European Economic Community (EEC) – the forerunner of the European Union. The negotiations resulted in the “Ankara Agreement”, which created an association between Turkey and the EEC, 12 September 1963.

Turkey also cultivated relations with its neighbours in the region: in 1953, it signed the Balkan Pact with Greece and Yugoslavia to protect the latter from the perceived threat of the Soviet Union at the time; and in 1955, it played a key role in the formation of the Baghdad Pact - or Central Treaty Organization (CENTO). This pact brought together Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Turkey and the United Kingdom in a defensive military alliance until 1979, when it was dissolved.

More than a gift – a symbol
In 1960, Turkey offered a monumental mosaic that has since adorned three political headquarters – Porte Dauphine in Paris, France, and the first and second (current) headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. It weighs 10 tons and measures over 14 metres by 3,5.

One of the most prolific figures in the history of contemporary Turkish art, Artist Bedri Rahmi Eyüboğlu created the art work over a period of six months. It combines the Anatolian tradition of making mosaics with that of folk symbols. A former Ambassador to NATO, Mehmet Fatih Ceylan, describes the design as a symbol of Turkey’s integration into the Alliance and, more broadly, into the Western world.  

Turkey’s strategic location on the south eastern flank of the Alliance increased NATO’s presence and area of responsibility to the entire Mediterranean and the Black Sea. With this in mind and just as the ink was drying on the Instrument of Accession signed by President Bayar, NATO Allies established a military headquarters in the port city of Izmir.  Allied Land Forces Southeastern Europe (LANDSOUTHEAST) was opened on 11 June 1952. Its area of responsibility stretched from the Caucasus to the western shores of Greece. It was responsible, together with the subordinate Thessaloniki Advanced Command Post, for the operational control of Greek and Turkish land forces should a crisis or a conflict involving NATO break out. LANDSOUTHEAST was initially commanded by an American, with the support of two deputies: one from Turkey and one from Greece. In 1974, Greece temporarily withdrew from NATO’s military command structure and in 1978, it was agreed that LANDSOUTHEAST would come under the command of a Turkish General, with an American Major-General to assist as deputy.

LANDSOUTHEAST was not the only NATO presence that Ankara allowed on Turkish territory. The Headquarters of the Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force was also based near Izmir on the grounds of the former American Collegiate Institute for Boys. Both came under the command of Allied Forces South (AFSOUTH), which had been based in Naples since 1951. 

The Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force was NATO’s easternmost air headquarters. Its mission was to ensure the air defence of Greece and Turkey, and deter any plans of aggression in this strategic corner of the world. It was supported by the Turkish 1st, 2nd and 3rd Tactical Air Forces and the Royal Hellenic 28th Tactical Air Force of Greece’s Air Force. It also utilised the services of the 39th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron of the Royal Air Force unit flying out of Malta.

Preparedness was essential for aerial warfare, so crews were carefully trained to be airborne within minutes. Aircraft assigned to the Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force included jet fighters with conventional and nuclear capabilities, while others were simply reconnaissance aircraft.

NIKE surface-to-air missiles also formed part of the air defence of Turkey and Greece and, furthermore, in the early 1960s, NATO was authorised by Ankara to station medium-range Jupiter missiles near Izmir for a short period of time. The NATO pipeline system, set up during the Cold War to provide fuel supplies in times of crises, also ran through the country, and the government authorised the use of some of its military bases by NATO forces. Turkey participated in the NATO Air Defence Ground Environment (NADGE) programme, which provided the Alliance with a powerful barrier against the intrusion of fast-flying, or even supersonic, enemy aircraft into the NATO European airspace. An unbroken chain of stations ran through several NATO member countries to improve the Alliance’s ability to detect, identify and intercept aircraft and, if it came to that, destroy enemy aircraft.

First female fighter jet pilot
The first female fighter jet pilot to operate under a NATO flag was Leman Bozkurt Altınçekiç, from the Turkish Air Force, in the early 1950s.
Turkey, together with the Netherlands and Denmark, were the first NATO countries to allow women in their Air Forces. However, Turkey was the first to train female fighter jet pilots.

A BROAD APPROACH TO FOREIGN POLICY
Since its inception, the security of the Republic of Turkey has been shaped by two main elements: geography and longstanding ties with neighbouring countries.

During the Cold War, Turkey helped coerce the Soviet navy, provided one of Europe’s largest armies and hosted critical NATO facilities. It also joined Allied forces in the many exercises that were organised throughout the Cold War.

NATO regularly organised exercises in Turkey and Norway, two countries that shared borders with the Soviet Union.

Exercise Eastern Express in November 1965 in Turkey, involved 3,500 troops from different member countries.

Eastern Express took place in the very east of Turkey, near Diyarbakir.

The exercise was organised to train the ACE Mobile Force (Land) of NATO, known as the AMF(L).
The aim was to improve radio communications, orders and commands between troops of different nationalities.

Trucks, jeeps, armoured vehicles, guns and troops were flown in because of the great distances.
Exercise Marmara Express was a large field training exercise that took place on 15-27 September 1966.
It was held in the northwest of Turkey, near the town of Pehlivanköy, not far from the Bulgarian border.

Marmara Express principally aimed at training NATO’s multinational force - the ACE Mobile Force (Land) - with Turkish units.

The objective was to test and evaluate the needs of this deployment as a deterrent for possible aggression.

The scenario started with a series of enemy incidents along the border…
…and then a simulated request to NATO from Turkey to deploy the ACE Mobile Force.
There were strict instructions not to get closer than 32 kilometres of the Bulgarian border, nor use live ammunition throughout the exercise.
Exercise Deep Furrow took place in 1973

The exercise involved land forces,
air forces
and naval forces conducting maritime activities in the Eastern Mediterranean, including the Aegean Sea.
The exercise included forces from Greece, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States, training together from 20 to 29 September 1973,
…and gaining the expertise to defend NATO territory.

Turkey considers the Alliance as the linchpin of transatlantic ties and Euro-Atlantic security. Article 5 of the Washington Treaty –the Alliance's founding document- embodies the principle of collective defence and constitutes a valuable security guarantee for Turkey, as it does for other Allies. At the same time, Turkey is a valuable asset for NATO and continues to contribute to the protection of the south eastern border of the Alliance. Over time, its role within the Alliance has adapted alongside the changing circumstances, risks and challenges that came with the end of the Cold War, while remaining committed to the shared effort of maintaining peace and security in the Euro-Atlantic area. 
How science can change lives

During the Cold War, Turkey had a strong interest in NATO's science programme in more than one way. The most notable story is that of a boy from the province of Mardin in south-east Turkey - Aziz Sancar.

After toying with the idea of becoming a football star, Aziz decided to dedicate his life to research. Along the way, NATO supported his efforts, together with the Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council (TUBITAK), with a fellowship grant that allowed him to move to the United States and take his research further. Later, he benefitted from two collaborative research grants from NATO that helped him and his colleagues focus on DNA repair; their work provided a better understanding of how our bodies fix DNA mutations that can cause serious illnesses and aging. Aziz went on to win the Nobel Prize in 2015 by pursuing research in this subject area with two fellow scientists. He also set up a mentoring programme for young researchers, helping them as he had been helped in the past.

With the ultimate aim of encouraging mobility and fostering long-lasting ties between scientists, the NATO science programme has funded collaborative research in many ground-breaking domains. Professor Nimet Özdaş – a Turkish national - was able to pioneer a huge anti-pollution project when he led NATO's science programme in the 1970s. Turkey, together with Greece and Portugal, were the main beneficiaries of the Science for Stability programme during that period.

The following film entitled "Prospect of Turkey" was produced by NATO in cooperation with Turkish Radio and Television and the Turkish Director-General for Press and Information, on the occasion of the centennial of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's birth in 1981. The memory of Atatürk's birth was honoured by the United Nations and UNESCO by declaring 1981 as the Atatürk Year in the world. The film showcases Turkey's cultural and economic assets while explaining how Atatürk's reforms endured through time.

https://youtu.be/Ul-l85vheEs

quote:

The film was produced by the NATO Information Service as part of the "Prospect of…" series; it built on “The Atlantic Community Series” published in the 1950s, which aimed to introduce each member of the Alliance in a modern way. Three films were produced in total, respectively “Prospect of Turkey” in 1964, “Prospect of Greece” in 1967 and “Prospect of Iceland” in 1968; however, the series was not completed.

I’m going to watch this stupid movie and get mad about it later I guess

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

Certain posters in the other thread aren't mad you guys, please don't put in the newspaper that they got mad.

lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

avless red texts are a posting crime

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress. it happened again :lol:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just thought of London Breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Karach posted:

no wonder these guys are all blood and soil. the mudsoil seems to be a critical strategic asset.

totally. see also:

- clay
- chernozem

suspicious of anyone being a loam enthusiast tbh.