Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Colony dropppppp

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496954831545810944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

NATO did not in any way force Putin's hand here. There are literal NATO countries on the border with Russia and none have ever attempted to do anything to Russia because outside of defending against their bullshit, no one really cares.

Ukraine has been under assault by Russia since they took Crimea and started propping up their "rebels" in the breakaway regions. Putin very clearly started amassing his troops months ago and prepped for the invasion. All intelligence indicated they were prepping to invade. I'm sure that we had actual messages either from Russia or their allies that communicated with us that they were planning on invading. One of their foreign ministers even said that they were invading on Feb 22 and 4 am (they did 2 days later). Putin's video announcing the start of the invasion was recorded three days before the invasion itself.

This was a long planned operation. Now, if you want to say that part of Putin's motivation is to create a buffer between himself and NATO, that argument might hold water if it weren't for fact that there are already NATO nations outside of Russia and this action is going to drive more countries to join NATO.

This is 100% Putin's war. No one forced his hand. He very clearly has stated he thinks that Ukraine should not exist as an independent polity and is working toward that end.

And well, the whole last president blocking aide to Ukraine and lying about it and getting impeached thing. I am pretty sure that was also part of the long game setup for this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/root_nomad/status/1497254180108570633?s=20&t=ebNXlOBL0KNVznT1cW7uNA

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

If he wins this war I'm feeling p good about his reelection odds

It seems that Ukrainian leadership is just made up entirely of loving Chads.

Also this seems bad for RU

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497595587197386765?s=20&t=bOuaqsZD2BoHF9BB63I9eA

Note some not fun prisoner photos downthread if you click through.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

This could be a part of their doctrine. Cold War era Sweden, for example, was prepared to use highway tunnels to store and launch fighters, expecting their actual airfields to be hit in any initial strike. Ukraine must have known of the Russian missile capacity abd they might have purposefully kept some units inactive through the first day.

I saw something about 12 hours into the invasion claiming that Ukraine was basically not going all out on anti-air / anti-tank stuff with what they had so they could start ripping up smaller forces as Russia began to extend. No idea if that's remotely true or not though or just wishful thinking / armchair bullshit analysis etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497570179026403329?s=20&t=NPS97K6QaJSRgiartcgkmg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

me "the nonzero chance that right now Klitschko is beating a Russian to death with his fists is a hell of a thought"

my friend "True but he's taking too long and the bystanders are bored"

:vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this a reference to something?

He (Kyiv's mayor) became heavyweight champ when boxing was getting kind of dull and his style of fighting was not flashy or exciting. Heavyweight fights used to be flashy and exciting and were the big draw to the sport. After Tyson it was all downhill more or less.

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 26, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What is Swift exactly?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It's a Belgian LLC that serves as the global standard intermediary for transactions between banks in different countries.

Thanks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1497732585518247936?s=20&t=LqsVD6sjPP_Bcf2335bhWg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Xakura posted:

Lol swift went through, and suddenly putin lost tulsi

How many days till Tucker does the heel turn

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nullscan posted:

If the Ukraine invasion is any rubric, the ICBMs headed for the states would run out of gas halfway over the ocean.

Consistent with ballistic launches though sadly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What's the likelihood of all those unencrypted comms being completely intentional and there for disinformation?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Talk like that will get him forums banned!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Z

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:hellyeah:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

There is....a LOT wrong with these clownshoe movements. Flagging friendlies, a laughable execution of bounding advance, the noted poor excuse for cover and concealment. I've seen better executed paintball tournaments where half the team is drunk.

Yo just to be said in a post-work drunken nice-buzz I love this about hanging in the GIP current events thread / spinoff like this as a civilian. Always appreciated.

CommieGIR posted:

It feels like you are implying that the CIA was the reason the Maidan revolution happened rather than the fact that their corrupt Right Wing president was trying to sell them down the river like Belarus just did.

Which, after the Maidan Revolution, the political groups aligned with the Azov Battalion lost votes significantly.

Maffew is good people and I think you're misreading it a bit, tensions are high and all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

To be fair to Russia, they have no historical basis for understanding how adverse weather could affect an invading army.

*cries in Finnish

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This was a ridiculous loving probe someone posted what is Nazi propaganda and this guy called it out. Don’t be a loving baby because you don’t wanna hear it.

:qq:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Disagreeing with you isn’t “KRAMERING IN” and if he knew why did he post it?

Yes I am sure CommieGIR posted the photo because they are trying to advance the worldwide goals of Nazi ideology, 14 words and all. You've made us all aware of some aspect of the Ukraine that no one has ever heard of before yesterday and that most people itt enthusiastically support and we need to ban everyone itt over, thanks for your service 🙏

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I don't think things are going to go well in the mid terms.

Sadly I think that was the case before all the Ukraine poo poo too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s 100% right so I don’t see why people need to post azov propaganda bits and fall over themselves defending why it’s not a big deal when there’s plenty of normal Ukrainians doing stuff and scream that everyone pointing out fascist propaganda is a Russian shill and must go to posting jail.

Because it's a false dilemma and it's exhausting. Literally no one in here supports Azov, the picture itself with humorus and is likely posted without someone realising what the symbol was until after they posted it. It's a lot of unnecessary and misdirected outrage that presumes the worst of people who post here frequently and are fairly well known to not actually be Nazi sympathisers.

So yeah someone kramering in shouting Nazi Nazi is pretty tiresome I reckon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Dude you just posted :qq: in response and then claimed I called someone a Nazi don’t starting whining about bad faith now

I was talking about the person probed not you but climb up on that cross if you wanna

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Everyone must match my level of outrage

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/Splitcoil/status/1500281241253265412?s=20&t=aquW_usITna2X4r4-Rvu0Q

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1500891170964217862

Japan... maybe this isn't a good time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I get the impression that USSR army would easily beat the modern Russian army

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GD_American posted:

If ATGMs aren’t the hardline but MiG-29s are, what about old M1s or Challengers? Paladins? Predators?

Assuming there's a bunch of Ukrainian troops that can jump into an M1 and fight I guess?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1502082028136804352

:thunk:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LOL

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1502459521138110467

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

My wife just became part of the most :black101: office email chain I've ever seen.
She works for the botanical garden's scientific publications division, which does a lot of technical and professional publishing for botanists globally. The garden director sent an email wishing luck to a Ukrainian colleague who will be out of communication for a while "defending the priceless Ukrainian herbarium."

Then the colleague replied all with some bloody pictures and the text "Territorial Defense helped patch me up and stop the bleeding. Banshees are howling tonight. I don't give a gently caress. Army are heroes. Forward this to the office."

Again, this is a botanist.

That is loving metal. Good poo poo.

e: every Botanist I have met is a totally chill, composed, hyperintelligent pothead. I imagine if you got one of them actually angry they'd be a goddamn berzerker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Noted Russian asset Tulsi Gabbard spreading more disinfo.

https://twitter.com/UticaEric/status/1503026990902824962?t=c5p2gHRPdIciBnTwcW7_8w&s=19

Hope she loses her commision / job.

Honestly there probably aren't 25 bioweapons research labs in the entire world.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Midjack posted:

To be fair the subject at hand could be research labs that have samples of really gross pathogens, which could include a whole lot of university labs and places like the CDC in addition to defensive research (sic) labs funded by governments. They don't have to be commonly-accepted "BW agents" to kill a lot of people if they get loose. The obvious implication of the tweet is that there are a couple dozen US funded Vozrozhdeniya Islands in Ukraine, which is of course poo poo from a bull's rear end.

Exactly which is even more distasteful given what she's saying because most of those labs are probably just basic research stuff that have some select agents in them which aren't really easily converted into bio weapons by anyone without a huge effort on infrastructure and other things I am not going to talk about.

The practical basis of what she is saying is that there are 25 Labs that have gotten some funding for biotech research in Ukraine and that we should destroy them all. If this logic was applied here my wife's lab would also be destroyed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That kinda looks like the opening scene in a docudrama about a guy who ends up making the world's most kickass food truck.

Lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

not caring here posted:

Is this finally the precision artillery they have been talking about?

:chloe:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well he did good job making it look cool as poo poo. That scene and the satellite ones are some of my favorite and actually is why I wanted to go into intelligence analysis for the longest time.

https://youtu.be/ZoVWedQOQl4

https://youtu.be/eujM6p7MtXA

Also talk about a movie of a great cast. A lot of people who moved up significantly over the years.

Yeah it and Hunt for Red October were just perfectly cast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:dudsmile:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PBJ posted:

I am the very model of a Russian major general.

I send troops with no air support to get killed in Mariupol.

I create a giant traffic jam while trying things logistical.

Then I get killed by a TB-2 while plotting war plans criminal.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

......mcnally?