Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress Putin. gently caress Trump. Go Ukraine.

Not an empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuclear War posted:

They said on Al Jazeera a Russian Guards Motor Rifle brigade had surrendered, which, lol, but i didn't catch where

It was a platoon I think, not the entire brigade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1496878993534255104?s=20&t=ndsB3FGxCQ6aA-Ws6I2jDw

E: Picture of a POW, spoilering.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

The discounting of MAD is worrisome and seems to be treated like 'Oh there's nothing to gain it won't happen'...much like this invasion. It isnt real until it is I guess.

That was why Macron basically reminded Putin that they had nukes as well yesterday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unfortunately one thing they don't have is funds.

Yeah the Russian economy has been struggling for years, that's part of why all the propaganda and drum beating. Putin doesn't have much else to show.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1497247647597486088?s=20&t=v9jh8XUgHXUmdQTtIwm8Ow

Three ships harassed and one hit with a missile in the Black Sea

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I don't get it, seems like killing sailors from neutral powers would further wreck your global standing and make sanctions more likely. And there seems to be no purpose to it, if they actually believed the ships were carrying supplies to Ukraine why not use your overwhelming naval superiority to board and search the ships? Protests about sailors being briefly detained would be nothing next to killing neutrals that have nothing to do with aiding your enemies.

Yeah, if Russia wanted to close the Black Sea by force, it'd be easy. Using weapons on ships is a whole "WTF".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We've worked with Goon Loden Taylor on a gangtag for the D&D Ukraine Relief thread:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Right, but every country has that. poo poo I’m sure Russia has a significantly larger number that’s not even including all the fucks from Wagner.

https://twitter.com/gonnahityou/status/1497295460066750465?s=21

Apparently it’s a Topol. I’m just hoping this is someone’s idea of a prank post and Russia really isn’t moving strategic missiles into Ukraine.

They move em around all the time, by design. This one apparently is being moves for an upcoming parade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Still not seeing any pictures or verification of that Il-76 that the Ukrainians claim to have shot down, just a whole lot of twitter accounts echoing the same thing. Brutal if true though.

Its late night in Ukraine, and if it went down on the approach it may be in Russian controlled territory.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

I thought I had read the worst take of the day when I got up this morning, but it turns out it was waiting for me to go to bed:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496977267188281344

If I was a :tinfoil: person, this and Trump/Pompeo's poo poo feels like signaling to Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The routers and routes recovered shortly after this.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497403127955402756?s=20&t=vs0IkmU64CfflV03lAF90A

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

We're gonna find The Chieftain reviewing this in a couple months.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Compared to last week there is practically nothing stopping you from importing a tank. ITAR is for exports! Buy your own BUK! They'll be finding this stuff parked in peoples sheds for the next 10 years.

People were worried about NLAWS and Javelins getting into Azov Battalion hands, ashame Putin provided free tanks, sams, and apcs.

Big K of Justice posted:

UA tank or Russian? No Z/O/R etc markings unless they removed it first...

The black square on the turret, looks like they wiped out the letter in the box.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From one of my yachting groups. Might be a good opportunity to snatch some nice gear from a bunch of suddenly abandoned yachts coming up.

Watching half these yachts sink from lack of maintenance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Considering the political leanings and general "being a dipshit" factor of the guy whose Facebook page I found it on, I'm not at all surprised that he got it from Rogan.

To be clear, I hope literally no one is as dumb as Rogan and believes that loving Steven Seagal would be able to defeat a tamper-proof jar of pickles, let alone muster the physical effort to put on a plate carrier.

Yeah, Seagal loved playing cop, I cannot imagine he'd love to play soldier as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498425709546586115?s=20&t=OEEVr7WMobWXA6zc5IwtwA

T-90 abandoned in Ukraine. Appears to be a match based on some other T-90 photos.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The millisecond they radiate, the Rivet Joints and other SIGINT assets will know exactly where they are.

I wonder if they are even running encryption on those chinese radios.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd worry those guys need to watch for booby traps but uh that would be the least cost-effective bait in the history of warfare.

These guys do not seem as dedicated or disciplined at the Afghanistan War era Army.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Der_Parrot/status/1498801174895599617?s=20&t=6nanpS9wRLKWV-elAy6GwQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It is from 2015, but feels appropriate to bring it back

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

They're a Ukranians National Guard unit comprised of Neo-Nazis with a very ugly track record who may have been receiving training from the CIA which means we need to ignore that they're Nazis as far as I can tell

Nazis were more popular under Russia's candidate than they were under Zelensky, so no. In fact they went from 10% of the vote to 2% and down to one single seat in a country with a Jewish president with grandparents who died in the Holocaust.

Know who loves Nazis? Putin. In fact most of Russia's soft power was from influencing and getting support from Alt-Right and White Supremacist groups. Its not surprise that the GOP has openly declared love and support for Putin in the past, especially under Trump.

gently caress the Azov Battalion, but stop sealioning about Ukraine being Nazi supporters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

No no I was sealioning about the CIA being Nazi supporters I thought that was clear

It feels like you are implying that the CIA was the reason the Maidan revolution happened rather than the fact that their corrupt Right Wing president was trying to sell them down the river like Belarus just did.

Which, after the Maidan Revolution, the political groups aligned with the Azov Battalion lost votes significantly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Raputista strikes again, although instead of trapping German horses and trucks, its trapping Russian tanks and APCs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shaddak posted:

It fires hot dogs.

If something hits it, it becomes a hot dog. Reminder that T-72s and T-90s have a carousel autoloader around the entire bottom of the turret and loves to brew up when hit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Erm... this doesn't seem good. Can a bigger brain person please explain possible implications?

Their economy is crashing, and Putin needs to demonstrate strength

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/EIzalith/status/1498534079867801602?s=20&t=5s3OjYr1RMPiNDDFNR-yzA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Glad he's caught up with the rest of the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pmchem posted:

I don’t think he considers Ukraine the “West”. This is the start of a possibly big escalation.

They already have openly confirmed Ukraine is not their final goal, its just a large part of it, including threatening Sweden and Finland.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that even with Sweden and Finland not being apart of NATO, that Russia invading either would A)Go far far worse than this invasion has, and B)Likely bring about an even more engaged response from NATO and the EU?

No disrespect intended towards the Ukrainians because they are currently punching well above their weight, but I feel like the militaries of both Sweden and Finland are far more capable of putting the hurt on Russia if they chose to invade.

Yes and yes. For the most part: The Russian deployed military is pretty much in disarray right now, they committed a significant bulk of even their experienced forces to this operation, its unlikely that Russia has any more forces to commit at this time. If Putin doesn't go back after Ukraine and massively reform the military, the next operation will only go worse.

Their success is largely down to lack of significant Ukrainian units in the Southeast and basically flooding in as many men as they can to overwhelm the Ukrainians in the East and North.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The only significant change to the Russian nuclear forces is their ability to be staged in Belarus now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Softface posted:

https://twitter.com/annavellikok/status/1499402876988248065?s=20&t=1CpTHgBsCgIrcq1oB3ccLw

For context: Swan Lake was used as airtime filler during the attempted coup against Gorbachev. Could mean some very big things are happening within the government, could be nothing, but I don't think Channel 1 would be broadcasting it just for fun, considering the baggage associated with it.

If I recall the channel belongs to a media group that has been taken off the air for refusing to air propaganda and spun news. So this is likely a "Remember this?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bees everywhere posted:

Imo NATO shouldn't intervene but there's nothing to stop them from doing their own troop exercises on Russia's border right now. Make Putin divert resources to prepare for a US invasion that never comes.

I'd worry that Putin is not in a good mental state to be able to see it as an exercise. He seems to have gone totally overboard into his own bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

In better news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsIMfTEUjs

"Press Conference with IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi"

Yeah if there's anything that needs to be negotiated with the Russians, its getting them to agree to stay the gently caress away from Nuclear Plants with combat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499644729276960772?s=20&t=DvjA2TiFYNPrp-4myO88JQ

gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e;fb

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

or gender for that matter

already reports of women being raped

I have no doubt that's happening, but the reports I've mainly seen is Russian troops doing that to occupied towns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lol he's walking his invasion plans back! The question is: Does he even have a say.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

What's Russia gonna do if he says no? Invade them?

Effectively already has, part of the referendum was basically giving Russia the leeway to station forces, including their nuclear forces, in Belarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

The referendum removed the ban on Russia stationing nukes in Belarus, but it's still up to Lukashenko to agree to such a move. Which I'm not sure he will do any time soon.

Lukashenko openly said he opposed Russian troops being in Belarus for too long. I don't really believe Lukashenko has a say anymore. He's a figurehead.