Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The German and British banking systems are little more than Russian money laundering fronts at this point, the real estate markets are flooded with that clean cash and virtually every right wing politician of influence in Europe is business partners with someone two steps removed from an oligarch. This is even before you consider what effects sanctions might have in their home countries, which can and will topple governments. No one has an appetite for meaningful, long lasting sanctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i mean we already knew that Kornets could severely gently caress up modern western armor, its no surprise that our answer does it just as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hey folks, please check events in your area and turn out to your local pro-Ukraine demonstration. You're not going to directly affect Putin's decision making, but the more this makes the news, the more likely your governments will pursue a more stringent response against Putin.

It's been a tankie talking point for months that anyone supporting Ukraine's choice to defend itself is actually just lusting for Ukrainian blood.

I'm sure someone could compile a comprehensive list. Off the top of my head:

- "Your devotion to Western imperialism is betrayed by your lust for Ukrainian blood" :smug:
- "Putin is a monster. Full stop. But have you ever thought about how NATO is the real root of the problem? NATO NATO NATO NATO NARUTO NATO NATO. NATO? NATO" :words:
- "Azov exists, therefore Ukraine is a Nazi regime and Putin is doing the world a favor when you think about it." :hitler:
- "All this talk from the West about an imminent war is only amplifying tensions! If the West keeps talking like this, Putin will have to invade." :downs:

maybe yall should just stop going to cspam and then getting mad

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm not shocked Russia did this. We just spent 20 years bashing our head in because national pride demanded it. What I am shocked at is the scope. They seriously sat back and watched us barely contain two countries while plowing $250m a day for two decades into it and then decided gently caress it, they could do it with considerably worse forces, against a demonstrably better enemy. That's some tier-1 huffing your own farts yes man bullshit right there.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

no one is saying Russian is losing, but their plan absolutely went to poo poo when the first airport takeover was repulsed after they couldn't get any forces to it due to them eating javelins left and right. they are absolutely taking losses they were not expecting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's still no official confirmation of the Ukrainians bagging Il-76s, fwiw.

Anyways, have a partial SWIFT ban for certain Russian banks, and most importantly, a seizure of the Russian central bank's assets that they were going to ride out the sanctions with

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497695982020145156?s=20&t=U5y0T7kXm9RaYMICfegcwg

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's an entire cspam thread you can go stroke out over if it's your thing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

yeah you're in a bad spot if even oil and gas companies are abandoning you

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does this imply?

Things in Russia are going to get v. spicy Monday morning and probably not get better for the foreseeable future.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats what I had thought, but I am an idiot so I was hoping someone had more of an idea

Their economy is dead, their banking system is dead, foreign capital is fleeing, you can't even fly out of Russia on Aeroflot now, the only country standing with you is Belarus and even China and India are noping out of this. The rouble is going to crater as soon as the market opens and there are going to be absolutely massive bank runs. Oh and they're still involved in what seems to be an unpopular war.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

So what were airline routes like during the Cold War? Did the Soviets allow airliners to fly over? I assume not because of KAL 007 but I don't know if that was normal behavior or particularly high tension. Whenever I've gone back and forth to Asia the route went over Russia. Going to Seoul you did a big loop into the Yellow Sea to avoid North Korea. How would you fly from, say, Chicago to Incheon without crossing Russia?

Just like the US, there are established flight corridors imposed by military or diplomatic requirements

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The MOEX is gonna hit the breakers in about 7 seconds after opening

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
given that kids are just wandering around aimlessly with unencrypted comms im wondering if this is even Russia's B team. aside from the VDV getting yeeted into the void, have we seen any units that were equipped and operated like they had a clue?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ASAPI posted:

It is interesting seeing everyone milling about during some of those shots.

They had no clue there was an UAV anywhere near them. They believed that they had air superiority.

it really seems like their entire plan was to seize Hostomel, link up with armor and hold Kyiv hostage. now theyre just plodding and eating ATGMs and drone strikes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Aren't A-10's incredibly susceptible to any sort of modern MADPAD or SAM? Like great in an uncontested environment where the dirt doesn't shoot back, but these days I imagine 'fat and slow' to be asking to be killed.

very, but then again literally no one on the Russian side seems to be doing any sort of anti-air?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

bees everywhere posted:

Maybe they left their AA at home because they didn't think they'd need it after D+1

Whats hosed up is we know its there, as drones keep hitting it. They just arent using it because ????

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Fragrag posted:

At this point, what is holding the Russians back from getting some fortifications up, get some AA running and establishing an FOB instead of just idling in vulnerable columns on exposed highways? Is the Ukrainian mud that horrible?

this is the billion dollar question. nothing theyre doing makes any sense.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

CainFortea posted:

So what's going to happen to all these seized assets? is it like civil forfeiture when cops see something in your car they want so they impound it and take it?

youre gonna watch the mother of all wafflings as numerous right wing politicians around the globe have to decide if they want to start ignoring the frantic and rather threatening phone calls from their eastern european business partners

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
They won't

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
stop mainlining youtube self-defense and prepping videos

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Yo dawg I heard you like talking about Ukraine so I put a Ukraine in the Ukraine

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
NATO is not going to intervene and NATO aligned troops and pilots are not going to wink wink, nudge nudge their way into Ukraine

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/03/air...sell-seats.html

Sabre tells Russia to get hosed

Between the travel ban, the engine bans, the insurance bans and all their planes belonging to leasing firms in Ireland, the Russian airline industry is dying a very quick and ugly death

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Honestly the oil sectors getting nailed too, no one wants to buy Russian crude because they’re worried about sanctions and banking issues.

also no insurer is going to cover your tanker if you decide to take a stroll through the Black Sea to Novorossiysk and load

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

They do cover you but the premiums are high, as of last week it was something like 5% of insured value for a 7 day period.

oof

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ASAPI posted:

This has been bugging me. I was under the assumption that Russia was at least a near peer when it came to signal, intel, and the like.

similarly their Air Force has been absent

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
What's Russia gonna do if he says no? Invade them?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Nah we're solidly in the "score cheap political points" phase of the war

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Ragtime All The Time posted:

how much would it suck to be the next guy down the line when this guy with the crazy muzzlebrake starts dumping belts???

its okay we sent them a bunch of 3M earplugs

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Back in like 2014-2015, there were a bunch of Syrian insurgent groups that got hooked up with TOW missiles, and they filmed just about every strike on Assad’s forces. Those guys were even less tactically proficient than the crop of aspiring sunflower seeds currently attacking Ukraine, and it was surreal watching something that looked like a dancing beach ball of death bouncing toward a crowd of massed infantry before seeing a big boom and chunks of people blown everywhere with a few survivors staggering away.

War sucks.

Ugh I remember the video of a bunch of guys on a balcony or something getting gibbed

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Israel reminding Russia that they're making them look bad

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Putin is more likely to use nukes than Ukraine is to join NATO or the EU within in next decade

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We're just tearing up all the sanction playbooks here

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
some of yall should really step away from this for a week or two and stop hanging on every tweet as hope

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the Syria red line was stupid as was our entire involvement in extending that misery

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Are you talking about the military or the CIA?

Yes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Nobody will ever lend russia ANYTHING again after this and will likely demand upfront payment for anything not easy to replace at all. Russia has burnt all of its goodwill over this, understandable as it is to try and keep things going on as long as they desperately can even if all these planes will be grounded from lack of parts as they're forced to cannabalize parts from more and more planes due to a lack of supplies.

The pico second sanctions are lifted capital will fly back in because it will be the wild west

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

The price of a US Senator can be as low as 10,000 USD. People who are inclined to sell their loyalties can be had for cheap. Sometimes as cheap as naked insincere flattery.

its not the campaign donations. its the charitable contributions to the foundation that their child runs. or the board seats for family members who couldn't run a hot dog stand(Hunter Biden). or just outright trading on the family name for decades(Frank Biden). or just renting entire hotels with the family name on them(Trump).

only dipshits let themselves outright take cash now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The one conviction from Mỹ Lai did 3.5 years before the president commuted his sentence and has been living a comfy retirement in Florida.

We spent 20 years annihilating civilians with impunity on the absolute flimsiest intel imaginable, capping it off with a 10 civilian strike as we were leaving Kabul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah I’m happy to see Russian poo poo getting blowed up left and right and I’ll be happy in a year or so when we get open-source footage of mysterious air strikes on Azov units/facilities. Because gently caress Russia first, gently caress Azov next.

theyre already western media darlings