Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
A page late here but all this sounds like maybe a loving 80 year old shouldn't be President :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
poo poo, I didn't belive that one when it first appeared. Ghost of Kyiv is a hella good story regardless.

Doesn't ukraine have a heap of armour? Where's the tank battles at?

E) that sounds way too flippant for what's going on, but what is the situation with their armour? Or is that just more unknowns at this point?

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 25, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Fuckin Cspam is very upset at the monster zelensky forcing his poor citizens to resist the russians. Apparently the proper thing to do is lose and accept invasion :wtc: Also everyone is the CIA. Why the hell did I look in there...

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Hyrax Attack! posted:

From glancing at their front page nearly all their threads had activity today so maybe the subforum generates lots of traffic? I'd guess that's why it is kept around but would assume if actions taken by people who met there result in enough law enforcement calls to Jeffrey it could still be shut down.

Yea I don't care about it being shut down, I just forget sometimes how much crazy is in there

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
If you wanna check out the Russian propaganda side of this, check out the C-Spam thread, it's like stepping into another dimension

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are they parroting the “Putin threw away IL76s and various units to test defenses” thing as well as “every video you see of dead Russians or Russian war crimes is a Ukrainian blue on blue?” like tankie Reddit is?

Bingo!

Defenestrategy posted:

There's two major threads I've seen over there.

1. Armed resistance from the civilian population is bad, because more people will die when the Russian reprisals start continue are broadcast.

2. Sphere of influence security concern BS.

I will say, the first thing is novel as I've never ever heard something to the tune of "citizens of a nation should never hinder a foreign invader"

This is the thing I personally find the hardest to understand, the idea that it is unconscionable for ukrainians to resist because it's a losing battle.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Discussion Quorum posted:

I thought Belarus was already involved. Wasn't one of the Ka-35s Ka-52s downed on the first day Belarusian?

Yea I thought they were involved since day 1 with the northern attacks from Russia, but maybe not after all.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Icon Of Sin posted:

they bagged a loving Chechen general ffs, then sent his buddies home crying

Has this been confirmed? Not saying you're wrong, just I never saw any more about it and it gets hard to keep up.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Spoggerific posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1498191746290925569

I don't know poo poo about radio encryption, but isn't this an incredibly bad idea?

This is absolutely insane for any professional military, holy poo poo. Unbelievable, lol.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

vuk83 posted:

Tactical level comms doesn't really need to be encrypted. Any Intel gained is very perishable.

Lmao that's not true at all, especially since it mentions HF which would suggest longer range, not just squad/platoon level comms.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It's bullshit, Slovakia at least has already categorically denied they're giiving them any Migs.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Caconym posted:

Knowing where they are and telling the ukrainians is arguably in Russias interest

Uhhhh what?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The slave should just give up and avoid further bloodshed

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I think the guy slowly lying down at the end is what Ukraine was supposed to do

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
A Polish Goon in the gbs thread was picking up refugees at the border and posted a picture of someones cat in his car, it was very cute :v:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
lollin at the reply that "it's more likely those blown tires were planted by The Russians to deliberately throw off analysts"

very powerful C-Spam energy

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Eminent DNS posted:

It's just homebrew napalm at that point. poo poo, I remember that from the anarchist cookbook I found back in highschool

Proper molotovs always had an additive like that, I think originally it was adding a strip of inner-tube or other rubber that would dissolve over time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Regarding Russian threats against Sweden and Finland, was there ever confirmation of that? It came up in the DnD thread and Finn/Swede Goons said zero local news agencies had mentioned it and it sounded like bullshit.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I believe Lavrov demanded "security guarantees" from Sweden and Finland,

Yea I think this is what it was, I couldn't tell if it actually happened or not.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Arrath posted:

Well he's saying that European humans are more human-ey them Asian humans and thus shouldn't be subject to thermobarics, so I feel confident to say he's just dumb.

Were thermobarics used often in Afghanistan? I've been thinking about it whenever it's been brought up re : russian use and all i can think of was using the moab on that cave system or whatever. So dude might've been referring to that use as opposed to against civilian population centers, but I'm not gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'm sure as poo poo not gonna give it to the US military. Just curious what sort of use it actually saw.

e] Jesus that loving video :stare:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 4, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Okay, that's about what I figured.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If that thread is even remotely accurate....

Also, seriously? They bagged the general because he was out front losing his poo poo?

I think I read earlier that it's happened to 3 high-ranking officers, not sure of the ranks of the others though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Goddamn the footage coming out of how hosed Kherkiv is, just obliterated :smith:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Also just because we aren't posting the horrific poo poo coming out of like, mariupol and kherkev, don't imagine we are ignoring it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Interesting, I wonder who put those brutal kleptocracies in power in the former USSR the first place

Mods wipe this if you think it's stirring poo poo up, but Smeg, I'm genuinely curious to hear what point you think you're making here?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The way the Chechens keep getting wiped is loving ridiculous and well, I don't wanna say "funny", but it's kinda funny...

e] Russian embassy is being dramatic, that was clearly just a Special Trucking Action

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

BrotherJayne posted:

Weren't the mines Ukrainian? (And the. When they cleared some, the Russians pushed some vehicles through lickity-split)

I never saw it confirmed either way, but that was my assumption too :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just heard on the radio there were now 18 separate strikes on medical facilities - anyone know if this is all on the same hospital or are they actively going after ALL health care now?

Not sure but they definitely just bombed the poo poo out of Mariupol Children's Hospital

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Setting up a static encampment of unhardened buildings when your enemy has mobile artillery and armor would be peak Russia.

Isn't this basically exactly what happened to the latest batch of Chechens the other day?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Double posting because this is juicy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08527b36854d05

Things are apparently going poorly enough that they're having to rely on (presumably) Syrians to backfill their ranks.

I saw this in the other thread, and i can't believe they actually even attempt this :psyduck: Seems like an absolute recipe for all kinds of clusterfucks to add to the poo poo they already have.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Eason the Fifth posted:

I was infantry so we always had to carry the loving things. Their greatest purpose is opening MREs.

Mine fell off my MARINE CORPS MARTIAL ARTS PROGRAM TAN BELT belt when I was pulling my MOPP pants up after a lengthy and brutally hot sauna poo poo in a 2003 Iraqi porta-shitter and it fell into the poo poo and looked like the sword in the stone before sinking to the depths of the poo poo and i came out of the shitter brown to the shoulder reaching for it. Anyway that's my bayonet story thanks for readin'

Way back, but this story was crackup

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Bored As gently caress posted:

Here's a great podcast episode from Friday that is still very relevant from Lawfare Pods (thanks upthreas to whoever recommended them).

https://pca.st/episode/ae9383b4-f918-4c68-8a63-9164bba1eaac

It is fantastic. Some of the key takeaways are:

2. Just because Russia hasn't achieved air superiority yet doesn't mean they won't soon - they could be holding back on that and other capabilities because they're saving those for if NATO gets involved and they have to go up against us and NATO.

People were theorising the same thing about their lack of comms and EW assets a week ago, and tbh it sounds super implausible. Like no one is ever gonna be relying on cell phones and unencrypted civilian radios because they're holding back the good stuff for later. Same for air power. They're already having a bad time, it makes zero sense.

e] In general it doesn't fit at all with what's happened anyway. Like this has clearly been a horrifically badly planned and operated invasion, but they're also doing some brain-genius 5d chess holding back assets to take on NATO next?

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 14, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

I'm not the one coming up with the ideas, I was summarizing an expert on the region said on the podcast I linked.

Oh yea I totally wasn't directing any of that at you, just quoting your summary.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It's mental that there's still constantly footage of tanks roaming around unaccompanied and getting murked, have they not learnt it's a bad neighbourhood?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Yeah gently caress em, unless they have a specialty skill (Search and Rescue, Fire Fighter, EMT / Paramedic / 68 W or 18D), or are a combat veteran, make em do manual labor or drive trucks.

It's funny hearing about dudes showing up to play soldier and then getting all mad about spending days sitting around doing nothing and getting reamed by beauracracy though. That's the real experience motherfucker!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Think we used to shred, burn and then mix the ashes into a slurry with water.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I'm waiting for some farmer to show up towing a captured KV-5 or something

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Wasabi the J posted:

There's also coded messages in his clothing and background items.

lmao what :aaa:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't that fifth column poo poo affiliated with Assange? Or was that just the name of the lovely movie about him?

Either way, my youtube feed is for car crashes, brit panel shows and taskmaster. There's enough propaganda going around from all sides, I don't need it recommended to me as every 5th video on youtube.

fifth column is a really broad term afaik, there's no affiliation to anything in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
We were joking earlier about kv-5's and is-7's, apparently we weren't that far off. Close as we could get anyway :hellyeah:

stole this from the dnd thread

Captain Kosmos posted:

In 2015 the separatist forces fired up on IS-2 from some museums collection.

Let's just wait for Russians to start to send stuff from Kubinka, there should be some WWI tanks and german prototypes. Let's see how Maus handles in Ukrainian mud.

e] apparently it's an is-3

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 24, 2022