Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

cult_hero posted:

In Japan, my train was late by about 30 minutes so I missed my connection. I stopped by the ticket booth to see about getting it switched over for a later train, only to have them refund the first leg of the trip and update my ticket. No questions, no fuss.

Amazing how much things differ across the world for something so simple as accomodating customers.

Yeah, the ease of this sort of thing in Japan was wild to me. I remember hearing an acquaintance gripe about their bureaucracy, but when I went there I realized that there was a process in mind for every little event so that once I followed the correct procedure ("talk to this person and they'll send you to that person"), everything I needed to do was quick and painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Arc Light posted:

A year or two ago, I recall seeing a QCS suggestion to rack and stack posters by the subforum they post in the most, and then perma anyone whose top forums were CSPAM or QCS.

It remains the smartest thing I've ever seen on SA.

The forum with like two dozen mods and IKs and like one or two actually post there.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Every time I see the cockpit of an SU-25, I think: "gently caress flying that thing." Granted, A-10s weren't much better until like 2010, but still.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

psydude posted:

What's hilarious is that the offensive was spearheaded by like 16 tanks, which is what, a single armor company?

But hey yeah sure, Russia can totally beat NATO.

Considering Russia keeps sending single tanks out to secure entire cities, that's 16 times their typical assault force so it must be terrifying.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

There are so many Zap quotes that could work for all of this and it's loving depressing.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Burt posted:

See Caen, supposed to be taken on D-Day +1 if I remember correctly. Took them months to clear it.

Also Monte Cassino.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hasn't there been evidence that Russia has been using Loran-C in Ukraine? Windows XP seems like a hell of a step forward compared to that.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Ukraine isn't even a War Thunder faction yet

Despite how many tank designs came out of Morozov.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Kchama posted:

The whole Fighter Mafia thing never ceases to boggle my mind. How did the guys whose entire gimmick was 'reforming' things to be cheaper and shittier ever get any kind of clout or prestige?

It seems like they benefit greatly off of the "simple answers to complex questions" dynamic. The amount of people that can understand over-the-horizon kills is much smaller than people who can boot up War Thunder.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

What. Which units do you think most countries use for this?

He may have misspoke. Russia prefers to use some other form of measurement instead of Newton Metres for torque.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 27, 2023

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It'd be perfect if Seagal told Putin all of his bullshit about being in the SEALs and CIA and Putin completely believed him.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

they know where to siphon the alcohol out of them

Good post/av combo. Vas would know.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Dragon deez cables across your tank.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Dummy looks in okay condition. Can probably salvage it and bring it back into (dummy)service to be shelled again.

We need to send Armored Dummy Recovery Vehicles.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

:stare: Uh, wow. Were there any other boarding actions in WWII where both ships where still active and not just taking over a surrendered vessel?

During the hunt for The Bismarck, a Free Polish destroyer named The Piorun got close enough to The Bismarck that they started unloading with small arms and throwing trash, all the while signaling "I am a Pole" with their signal lights. They managed to get away.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Wild how two of the biggest go-tos for criticizing the US MIC, the Bradley and the Patriot, are now being urged to the front for their capabilities. I know both are bullshit, but even I at some point was poisoned by Pentagon Wars and Patriot bashing.* Not to say we haven't had grift and boondoggles, but it's just a wild turn to see the EU parliament refusing to fund itself unless they get Patriots to Ukraine.

*I have a friend who knows way more about Patriots than I do, and apparently they did have serious problems when they were first used (Including that "return to sender" problem we saw with Russian anti-air missiles), but that they got ironed out in later iterations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Didn't France put a 20mm on anything with tracks for a few decades as well?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

For all its poo poo, Fury, does have a good example of infantry supporting a tank by mounting and using the 50cal. Also extra set of eyes for the commander.

I also remember reading in Armored Champion that one Regiment in WW2 actually mounted .50 cals coaxially in their Shermans.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Murgos posted:

There is already a 30 cal so it would be a lot of effort to go through to bore out the steel of the front of the tank and the glacis to mount a larger barrel and then there is the logistics of the internals of the turret and the M2 receiver is a big loving bitch and then slap in an ammo can and like, whatever there's no room?

That seems like a big ask for rear area work much less at the mobile regimental repair shop.

I went back to Armored Thunderbolt by Steven Zaloga, and got this:

quote:

The Third Army's modernization effort included other improvements as well. The tankers wanted a more powerful coaxial gun than the usual .30-cal machine gun, so some .50-caliber aircraft machine guns were "liberated" and fitted to many tanks."

In the next page, he shows off a picture of an M4A3E8 .50-cal coaxial, and the barrel sticks out noticeably further (wherein the normal .30 cal coaxial doesn't stick out at all). Many of these upgrades were performed at "factories in Belgium." Apparently the .50 that was mounted was the AN/M2 aircraft model, which fit the mounting better than the ground forces' M2. I have to imagine they had cooling issues.

I mostly checked myself on this to make sure I wasn't spewing half-remembered bullshit as fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Not in that book, no, and no details on how it was done. It could be in one of Zaloga's more tank-specific books. The most well-known unit to use the .50 cal co-axials was the 37th Armored Regiment, as many of their M4A3E2s, including the famous "Cobra King" had the .50-cal co-ax. The unit that apparently did the modification was the 126th Armored Ordnance Maintenance Battatlion.

There were a lot of unofficial field modifications to the Sherman in the ETO in '44-'45. In the same section, he talks about an applique armor program that cut armor plating off of decommissioned Shermans and welded them onto working Shermans that apparently was also effective. This was only practiced by certain units of the Third Army. These types of programs were more official in the Third Army since Patton himself famously ordered his tankers to not make ad-hoc armor from sandbags/rocks/trees (for fear of wearing down the drive trains for no advantage), and instead opted for more uniform programs. Meanwhile, most units just sort of let tankers do what they wanted as long as their fighting capabilities weren't hindered.

It was common practice for individual tanks to rip off their default M2HB's as they were mounted behind the turret (Supposedly as they would get caught on low-hanging obstacles), and either ditched them or re-mounted them on the commander's hatch. That, or they'd mount a .30-cal for the commander. M18 Hellcats typically re-mounted their .50s to a more comfortable position for the commander, though those were both obviously easier programs.

Again, it's mostly that Third Army regiments had more documentation and uniformity to these types of programs than others.