Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Crab Dad posted:

Lol stupid gaff saying what everyone is thinking. Whatever. Like Putin is actively invading countries on his border bombing hospitals and threatening nuclear retaliation. Oh no don’t say out loud what everyone has on their mind.

Russia is gonna play it up for internal consumption, everyone else is going to stare at the ceiling looking cracks while whistling.

look i know the biden presidency hasn't been exactly chummy with Saudi Arabia as of late but we haven't been publicly saying the world would be happier were MBS deposed either. there's a gap between reasonable statements and official policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ukraine thread: using emojis to announcedeny my warcrimes so the kids know im hip

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

god grant me modern canadian folk punk about selling natural resources to the us i want it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOiWVP-0OE

edit: the gently caress does SA still not have automatic inline youtube embeds

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Let's say Putin had a sudden cerebrovascular event that killed him (this is not unprecedented among Russian rulers): who the hell takes over? Or does the country immediately fall apart?

Article 92 of the Constitution of the Russian Federation posted:

3. In all cases when the President of the Russian Federation is incapable of fulfilling his duties, they shall temporarily fulfilled by the Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation. The Acting President of the Russian Federation shall have no right to dissolve the State Duma, appoint a referendum, and also provisions of the Constitution of the Russian Federation.

so Mishustin, though i'd expect a power struggle pretty quickly

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

imagine a happier outcome yall. in a decade or so some farmer will have made a nice food truck-esque setup out of abandoned T-84 carcasses and it'll be a nice neighborhood lunch spot

slava ukrainian doobie

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

highme posted:

Conscripts being unable to legally deploy outside of Russia hasn’t been much of a deterrent so far.

Asking The Russian regime to adhere to laws of war is akin to asking republicans to adhere to election law. They’re gonna do whatever the gently caress they want and scream about how unfair reality is to their cause regardless.

keep score at home and bet on which russia violates more often:

a) laws of war as defined by international treaties signed by the russian federation

b) the laws of the russian federation

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cimber posted:

Seems the FSB isn't the only group out there that can hit foreign targets.

psydude posted:

Honestly I'm more willing to chalk it up to just sheer Russian incompetence at this point.

regular brain: ukrainian security services are executing sabotage attacks within russia's borders
expanding brain: buildings in russia just spontaneously catch fire all the time because of poor construction and/or incompetent staff tossing lit butts into wastebins
galaxy brain: disgruntled FSB agents have returned to their traditional area expertise, attacking domestic targets, to cripple their own war effort because they think putin has lost it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

hell, even if you don't wanna go full conspiracy you could still look at something like the dubrovka siege or beslan and come to the reasonable conclusion that the FSB personnel assigned to protect these important strategic sites somehow managed to set them on fire despite the best of intentions

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Will Ukraine bomb and fire upon targets inside Russian borders? Sure. But they won't move troops in or try to hold territory. There's no point. Ukraine doesn't want Russian territory, they want Ukraine.

The only real question there is Crimea, but it will probably be a lot easier for Ukraine to cut it off and isolate it and then just lay seige to a waterless Crimea until it surrenders.

i, for one, support ukraine blowing up the kerch strait bridge

bonus if they can make a new denomination of hryvnia banknote featuring that on one side and the snake island quote on the other

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

If Turkey is that important to NATO maybe Erdogan could be convinced to… step down?

Been a while since the CIA did CIA things.

the turkish military, actually known for doing coups successfully, already tried and failed, so i have not much hope for the famously incompetent CIA

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That's all fair and good but riddle me this: what reason does a Russian grunt have to fight the Stalingrad of his time?

per local propaganda, nazis then and nazis now!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

we literally bred 4chan lol

as much as i understand what you mean, lol this particular phrasing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

in lighter :wtc: news, а сейчас я вам покажу blemish-free skin courtesy of стронк русский гриб, no gay NATO cosmetics here https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1529002586111631360

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Insofar as Kissinger believes in anything, he seems to believe that the way to be a great statesman is to achieve a balance of power between powerful states.

i see no problem with this. russia is a demonstrably weak state, and we can achieve balance by dividing it into EU and chinese spheres of influence. most of the former soviet union is already a OBOR dig site, so we may as well give china the siberian gas fields and norilsk while europe makes good on that UK foreign minister's statement that Russia should not be free to move troops as they see fit through the rostov and voronezh regions

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

strictly speaking, as of feb 24 ukraine did not recognize russian control over crimea or the independence of the DNR and LNR (and the president of ukraine lacks the authority to change this)

in practice, eh, yeah what the gently caress is the rada gonna do if a peace settlement doesn't involve the wholesale withdrawal of russia from de facto ukrainian territory circa 2014, demand the remaining russian troops keep up the fight?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

This might be a little off-topic, but is Georgia still fighting South Ossetian "rebels"?

Could the US/NATO supply Georgia with advanced weapons to pin down the Russians there?

Georgia (for quite some time) accepted that they weren't going to win and agreed to a cease fire with de facto Russian control over/"independence" for the breakaway republics. They then built a giant maxi pad in Tbilisi to commemorate this.

Russia likes to pull some poo poo by moving their border fences slightly forward overnight but it's not an active combat zone.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

wtf are all these nice lost luggage stories

aeroflot into nazarbayev international gave me gently caress all and made me travel back to the airport to pick up the lost bag on my own dime, and then it took like an hour wandering between various service desks to figure out which of them actually handled lost luggage

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mom, can we we stop at макдоналдс?

we have макдоналдсВКУСНО И ТОЧНО at home

at home: https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1535913431081095169

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

still not tired of this meme https://twitter.com/KermlinRussia/status/1536222789899849728

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

it's not actually changing much, isn't? Russia already wasn't able to issue new debt in markets where it's sanctioned, and per the article the ratings agencies there aren't even rating its bonds anymore. it might mean something when the war/sanctions end, but for now the Bank of Russia isn't in a much more hosed up mess than it was already

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It would be difficult to administer. There are no Japanese or Ainu people left there.

but whatever 🎶 JAPAN 🎶 CAN TAKE 🎶 THE ISLANDS 🎶

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

watch luka join a fuckin war finally push the country into the cool zone

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1543278082227933187

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GD_American posted:

Does Ukraine have a national drink? I assume vodka is pre-eminent

based on the actual situation on the ground in kyiv, the ukrainian national drink is coffee

that said, there's "horilka", which is basically a generic word for liquor, but i guess in modern days refers more to the sorts of infusions you wouldn't typically find otherwise, in particular spicy peppers (an old, traditional drink, despite only existing because of the post-1500s columbian exchange)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

AFAIK talking directly to babies or not is just a cultural divide that crops up in a variety of places and has no effect on language acquisition: if you just talk around kids they learn the same as if you talk to them specifically. don't think that'd affect literacy either way, reading and writing are their own skills that have to be taught, nobody just learns them through osmosis like language in childhood

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ulmont posted:

I think One Day In The Life of Iván Denísovich gets you halfway there faster but I concede the point.

also unless something changed the ebook versions of gulag archipelago are TERRIBLE

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

There's no way this "think tank" isn't just astroturfed dudes getting paid right?

i wouldnt be surprised if some of their funding came from uh... unofficial state-backed sources, but you don't really need to astroturf it. the true believer "america bad, all opponents of america therefore good" tankie crowd is plenty sizeable on its own

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Russians looking for new ways to plug gaps in their lines.

https://twitter.com/tarasberezovets/status/1569764657799249920?s=46&t=pPumZwMcr9-o7W82Vd6dPQ

Also never play that song…too many goddamn holding and meeting memories.

drat, i never expected scald to wind up fighting in ukraine

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

psydude posted:

Those are clearly Russian IFVs shooting at something. The question is what/who, because it's not regular UKA.

more WWII-era tanks mounted as stationary monument props

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

in other news, russia is unhappy about the bridge

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1579357513455370241

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1579359020946980864

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's why I can't help but :sigh: whenever someone who thinks they have the means to smugs out about "I'll just go to [country/place] if the US goes full fashy."

If/when the US goes full fashy, there won't be anywhere to hide. The first world will be forced to ~bend the knee~ and render unto Caesar, and the third world will be slaves.

look at this non-believer who thinks daddy Xi won't come save us from the risen imperialist menace

they will make many animes about the heretofore unseen levels of ML thought he channels to end the era of american darkness and establish the grand new world of one belt, one road, one people under communism

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't understand the part of being "generally anti-war" that has people doing things like protesting "NATO aggression" while being far less passionate about Russia not engaging in genocidal, fascist invasions (and allowing nations to non-violently deter said invasions). I do not think the main ideology at play for folks like Chomsky is "war bad."

chomsky's maybe a bit of an outlier as an established outspoken public figure rather than yet another twitter rando, but for the latter category russia has recognized and capitalized on crowds' spectacular ability to propagate bullshit. if you spread talking points in a community long enough, at least some of them will probably catch on and spread organically. they target communities with fringe views (on both the right and the left) and let the message propagate and eventually get laundered away from its original origins.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

gently caress off you fuckers you do not get to ruin kino like that

that aside they're basically dadrock to the elder zoomers getting mobilized, so i suppose i can at least laugh at that aspect. nirvana's dadrock at this point, right?

somehow, it's seemingly still less bad than Tops In Blue

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

We're a decade away from Nirvana showing up on oldies stations.

i mean yeah, but hopefully not as a halfhearted attempts to boost recruit morale

Stultus Maximus posted:

Given the lyrics for that particular song... :stare:

for further reading, yes, given that you can read the lyrics as a conscript musing over getting blown up in afghanistan it's a bit of an odd choice for this particular event

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

do you think they play penderecki at the warsaw airport

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

I might have to visit. How similar is Ukranian cuisine to Russian.

one country is frozen wasteland known for conquering a large expanse of frozen swamps. the other is some of the most fertile land on the planet

bit of an exaggeration, but generally ukrainian food isn't gonna be worse. also more raw bacon, which you should go for despite first impressions from the description

both countries have adapted shaurma (gyros) as their de facto national fast food though along with the rest of the former USSR. shaurma conquers all

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

McNally posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

but hey, this seems like a good opportunity to mention that the excellent yale open ukrainian history course has gotten through the 1930s-1960s in the last few weeks, so if you want the more complicated messy version of the historical era everyone loves to fixate on, it's right there!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Slashrat posted:

The one thing to keep in mind about nuclear bombs is that making a nuclear explosion is Hard, and bombs only make it happen through a lot of very precise mechanisms doing a lot of things in the correct order across a very short span of time on the order of milliseconds. Falling short of that, they're just regular bombs packed together with a few dozen kilograms of radioactive material. There'll be a hazmat cleanup job afterwards and probably some roadblocks within a kilometer of the location, but the fallout will be almost entirely political.

good ones anyway. i can't imagine a modern implosion weapon accidentally detonating, but maybe you could maybe make a gun type bomb accidentally go off if you somehow inadvertently triggered the firing explosive? i figure anything that would has a good chance of busting the tube also and preventing the reaction masses from actually meeting properly, but it seems at least plausible that something could gently caress up and unintentionally set it off successfully

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

is it supposed to be like that https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1601078745917685762

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GD_American posted:

Any decent war sources on Mastodon? I finally pulled the plug on Twitter

most people i recognize haven't been using it much. https://journa.host/@EilishHart/following has a bunch of the journos and academics that are sorta maintaining a dual presence

https://medium.com/@nayloraliide/mastodon-a-guide-for-the-lost-eurasianist-1c9af116bef0 is a longer list but a bunch of those post even less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

For a second I wondered why Ukraine would want j6 insurgents

hey, we don't want them around, and shipping dissidents to russia is a time-honored strategy to get them to disengage from a war

ready the sealed trains, we got a job for baked alaska