Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Behold, reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

In the leadup to this invasion, the most striking detail to me, aside from all the OSINT plus other US IC saying "uh, they are not leaving, they are prepping even more," was Macron. Macron's office put out or leaked or whatever that Macron had met with Putin various times in the past and even when at odds it kind of made sense. Macron's take this past week was that Putin's mind just seemed cloudy or off and not laser focused the way he used to be. That may also be what has a lot of Russian senior folks also kind of surprised.

I'm telling you; he's got the cancer and wants to run up the score on his way out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

This cyberpunk future sucks I want a refund.

not even neal stephenson would subject the reader to pop country

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The German and British banking systems are little more than Russian money laundering fronts at this point, the real estate markets are flooded with that clean cash and virtually every right wing politician of influence in Europe is business partners with someone two steps removed from an oligarch. This is even before you consider what effects sanctions might have in their home countries, which can and will topple governments. No one has an appetite for meaningful, long lasting sanctions.

If this was an intended play by the russians it seems a smart one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I go to look up snake island because I thought it sounded familiar and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Snake_Island

Talk about fast

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Good for them.

Also does anyone have that cam picture of the border guard peacing out?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've heard 2 stories on this - one is that Russia has S-400s nearby (or is assumed to), so it's to avoid those. The other is that, in the case of the MiG 29 we've seen video of, its radar system doesn't allow for look down/shoot down and thus it has to be at eye level or below anything it wishes to engage. Since helicopters are a huge part of Russia's air force, that means by default that pilot would have to fly low to engage.

What's look down shoot down? I'm reading the wikipedia page and I guess you can discern stuff that's real low to the ground?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 25, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Shooting Blanks posted:

What. I'm trying to understand the logic here.

The US is bad, therefore our enemies are always good?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It is very surreal to see combat footage in places more similar to where I’ve lived and don’t think of as war zones. I’m so used to footage from Syrian deserts and rural areas versus what looks like the parking lot my apartment.

You ever see footage of the brits in northern ireland in the troubles? It's weird.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it;s 100% correct beyond the speculation about LGM in CSPAM

What's LGM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Magugu posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/...ghtmode%3Dtrue9

Nikita Mazepin a Formula 1 driver, who's father is an oligarch in charge or Uralkali, had this to say,

https://twitter.com/nikita_mazepin/...ightmode%3Dtrue

Was this the jerkass russian driver

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm just continuously amazed at the increasingly bizarre nature of this whole fiasco.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

boop the snoot posted:

Im starting to wonder if maybe it was a “I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me” situation all along.

Putin was right to be afraid!

Naked Bear posted:

This would imply that Putin, et al are playing some 4D chess kind of poo poo. If that were the case, though, I would have to think their plan would not involve taking the losses that they appear to be taking.

That's even assuming that rational decisions are even on the table at this point. I'm now quite concerned about them whipping out nukes as a final gently caress you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Seriously I'm beyond baffled at the decision process. Isn't this the same dude who was terrified of what happened to gaddafi? Do you wanna get gaddafid vlad. Because this is how you get gaddafid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's the you know whats

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The video of that is always a pro click. Mag Dumping and actually Revolver dumping since it’s GIGN. That guy flew up in the air pretty much.

Revolver?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i mean we already knew that Kornets could severely gently caress up modern western armor, its no surprise that our answer does it just as well.

I think the first time atgm got popular there was a discussion that the era of tanks was coming to a close. Seems we might be getting close to that again

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pmchem posted:

Hey if we’re posting tweets showing charred bodies in embedded preview is it okay if I post a tweet with two hot non-nude (neck up pic) ladies kissing for peace? Not sure where the lines are anymore

Edit: just seeing the poster tried to spoiler it but Awful app on iOS ran right thru those tags and previewed the tweet in full

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That Works posted:

me "the nonzero chance that right now Klitschko is beating a Russian to death with his fists is a hell of a thought"

my friend "True but he's taking too long and the bystanders are bored"

:vince:

Is this a reference to something?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497631911241564164

"I lived through this, and I said that George Bush was a good guy and we should probably do what he says and enhance the security of America."

Wait really? lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jesus. It'd be kinder to shoot them in the back of the head before dropping them.
They would have had minutes.

Literally starting to feel bad for them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Like calling your parents from jail

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nuke map still down?

It's been 2 days now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Make them redo their constitution post WWII Japan style. Russia is not allowed to have an offensively capable army again for a long time.

Uh yeah good luck with that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's then holy gently caress if real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If the average russian has no idea what's going on, do the oligarchs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bees everywhere posted:

Even if there was one, I doubt anyone got to use it. My 1st deployment we lost a whole crew of an M1114 when they went off the road into a small creek, and their gun hatch was wide open.

They lost a tank to that in the early days of iraq iirc. Apparently the rumor mill surrounding it was nuts, including it getting jacked by republican guard lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Discussion Quorum posted:

I figured this would make a certain someone here a little giddy.

https://twitter.com/iguardans/status/1497982822736437254?t=AOao4f0Z5s2preUa_Mw1Qg&s=19

I showed this to my Greek Orthodox wife and she literally lost her poo poo. "I KNEW HE WOULD loving DO THAT!"

The Greek patriarch did. Not sure about any others. Technically he is the head honcho of sorts. However, he also let the Ukrainians break away from the Russian church after 2014 and the Russians are super mad about it, so they probably don't care what he thinks.

Maybe he sank it with a toilet malfunction. No, no, I said I left a bomb in the toilet

e: and nuke map is still loving down

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how many far-right media figures around the world suddenly change their mind about Putin when the checks start bouncing

Same but except on these forums

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

If what we're seeing is true it seems like armor is just a deathtrap too. Or do their tanks/APCs particularly suck? Or is the army apparently forgetting they need to bring fuel causing a problem that an army not run by Mr Magoo wouldn't have? I haven't read a lot of modern military stuff in a while but tanks don't seem all that useful if there's a random dude with a Javelin around every corner. And the missiles are a whole lot cheaper.

This isn't the first time that atgm have made people think twice about the future of tanks, but it may well be the last

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Caconym posted:

This is just insane to me. Ukrainian drone taking out a loving SAM, are the Russians just tugging them around for lols, or are they just always moving and this never able to deploy them properly, or don't they have any targeting network up at all? If the BUK is meant to be static why aren't they leapfrogging them to have a functioning umbrella up? I know nothing about air defence, but drat.

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1498320315662979076?t=9NoIhffzIQj6jOwgaSPqZw&s=19

Weren't the skies in the east full of drones after 2014, for both sides even. Why do they seem to be making so little use of them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That Works posted:

Talk like that will get him forums banned!

Oh my god I thought the same thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It seems many of the guys riding in are barely out of basic and haven't really grasped that the paper they were pressured into signing during their exercise was a contract upgrading their conscription to an enlistment.

It seems the reason some of these dudes are so casual about operations is that they aren't even really aware this isn't an exercise any more, they're fighting a for loving real war. :(

It's like signing up for the National Guard and then one day you're told to roll across the Rio Grande and take Monterrey. Somewhere halfway between Laredo and Monterrey you realize you're actually invading because the Mexican army is shooting at your APC.

Oh thank god it's just the army and not the cartels

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wrong Theory posted:

In '06 there were definitely m&m's contest bags that were being found in MREs (not sure of year of production though). They were multicolored I think, you had to find a bag full of them? I don't know why I remember this.

I remember it being high school. I was going to prank a friend by getting a bunch of bags and sealing it back up somehow and pretend I got it but I was too cheap/poor to buy a dozen bags of m^ms

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

If Putin demands Alaska and threatens the use of nukes , is the answer to give him Alaska? How the hell can one be a tankie for loving Putin? That's not being a leftist fellow traveller, that's being a wannabe Czarist.

Some people like the authoritarian more than the left

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s not going to happen on any timeline that could affect this conflict. Ukraine (not the Ukraine) applied for fast-track EU membership, which I don’t think has any defensive implications other than that if Putin wanted to isolate Ukraine from the West he couldn’t have hosed it up any more.

It really was the worst move if their long term goal was trying to fracture the bigger powers and isolate the smaller ones. Again, none of this makes sense at all. I still think he's sick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Google said this:

Ukraine is one of a few English country names traditionally used with the definite article the. This is apparently because the word "ukraina" means "borderland", and so would be translated as if "the borderlands" — the Ukraine — like how Nederlanden, meaning "nether lands", is translated as "the Netherlands".

But I am more than happy to call it by its correct name if I had it wrong.

Really it seems like one of those things you should change because it makes people happy. Who gives a gently caress about grammar, it's stupid poo poo for assholes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not talking to you personally but in general

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

I do remember some old articles about WW2 where they talked about flamethrower guys, they won't get captured but always shot not just due to the flammable backpack but also due to soldiers being pissed off at their comrades getting cooked, is rocket artillery man going to be the modern equivalent?

Elton John getting worried.

Cythereal posted:

Georgia taking preemptive steps.

https://twitter.com/shpapuashvili/status/1499053439283875846

Russia's cats are now subject to international sanction.

https://twitter.com/CGTNEurope/status/1499018156597198854

Okay now that the subject has been tangentially mentioned, does anyone know the cat ownership rate of ukrainians? I've tried looking it up well before this whole thing and while I can readily find total numbers I can't find percentages. I know Russians have an astounding number at like 60% and I was wondering if the Ukrainians did likewise. I've found one article that might mention it but it's paywalled and surprisingly hard to find info on otherwise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cugel the Clever posted:

Today's Angry Planet on the invasion is pretty good and is worth a listen. The guest did raise some points of potential escalation with the West that I hadn't considered and may be a problem given Putin's state of mind, particularly Russian "active measures" against the European supply of Ukraine. They'd apparently bombed a Czech weapons depot a few years back because the stock was intended for Ukraine. If similar measures were taken in the current climate, particularly against a country with a particular anti-Russia animus, things would be at risk of hotting up.

Yeah we aren't remotely out of the woods on this. It's why I haven't bothered buying my monthly scratch off. Nothing will be more likely to precipitate the eschaton than me winning something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

the punisher skull is a symbol of douchebags worldwide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Is this Winter War 2.0? Because man these guys seem to not know wtf they're doing. And it's confirmed that a lot of them didn't even know they'd be fighting Ukrainians.

they pulled the same poo poo in chechnya back in 95.