Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Suicide Watch posted:

Telling how there isnt a Nickel Grass degree of resupply going on here. It’s like the Biden admin has already conceded

Nickel Grass took a week to organize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With the range of the missiles, and how visible and slow those things are, it feels like a dare for the RAF typhoons to try something and bring NATO in.

Cruise missiles are generally not that visible. Detection has gotten a lot better in the past 20 years or so, but I don't know how well Ukraine's hardware is going to pick them up. But with how smart Ukrainian air defenses have been, I could see them doing a fair job of solving this problem. I wouldn't put money on it, but I certainly wouldn't bet against them after what we've seen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still baffling Russia didn’t bother with a fig leaf of justification for the invasion past that weird rant that wouldn’t have convinced anyone who wasn’t already a true believer. Wonder if they did have a false flag planned but NATO warned about it so they just said screw it?

They went through several false flag stories and the US/UK immediately and decisively cut them down as bullshit by declassifying intelligence with shocking speed. Eventually Russia shrugged and moved in anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how many far-right media figures around the world suddenly change their mind about Putin when the checks start bouncing

Tulsi Gabbard did it almost immediately.

Edit: Well, she flipped from blaming the west for this to calling for peace.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Any idea how the Slavic Crime Yacht is doing these days?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Or we’re severely underestimating how absurdly loud bears are.

This is definitely the case. Those counterrotating props are not quiet. I don't think those Bears were above 20k feet, but they're not just chilling at 5k either.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: NM

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

Looks like the BBC has reverted to its WW2 mode of operation.

from a big HAM guy I know.

This loving owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did I miss anything in the last 4700 posts?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Posting or linking to videos or pictures of people committing sexual assault on minors is a ban plus 30.

:stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

The negotiations were never in good faith. This changes nothing.

It means they no longer see value in pretending.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:goonsay:

It was actually "00000000." :colbert:

At least the USAF had eight digits. The Brits' ideas of PALs were "gee, Percy, I hope no blighter ever realizes we arm our eggs with bicycle lock keys."

That's how the USAF wanted to handle things, but the woosie civilians in charge disagreed. This is your weekly plug to read Command and Control.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Caconym posted:

I assume "SAM radars" refer to the fire control radars, and not the air search radar. Slava class has a dedicated radar for the S-300, and another for the SHORAD, in addition to the air search radar.
But that only makes it even wierder.
I could accept "target fixation on the drone" IF they were locked on the drone. But they weren't locked on anything. So the air search plot should be getting all the attention in the CIC.

And then they should have detected the new track.
Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

But if they had detected the missiles they should have locked on to _them_ with the FC radars, so they probably didn't detect them, or at least not before it was too late?
It's just... a total lack of situational awareness that boggles the mind.
Either that or the ships sensors and/or weapons just plain didn't work of course. Maybe the FC radars were painted stuck fore and aft :v:

It's very easy for the operators to focus on the thing they've spotted on scope. This is basic human factors stuff. Throw adrenaline on top, too. It's not just about the radar focusing it's energy, it's also potentially the person doing their equivalent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

zoux posted:

They ain’t gonna do poo poo, they are stomping around and having a tantrum. If they think NATO stores are going to be exhausted, they should take a look in their own depots.

I'd like to think NATO learned a lesson from its operations in Libya. It seems that way, but I dont know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The attitude of "mistakes were made, we'll try do to better in the future" when there are horrific consequences for the people harmed by those mistakes is troubling. Were there ever any consequence for the people who made the design decisions that ended up putting food and UXO in the same color packaging with foreign lettering?

There is a roughly zero percent chance any single person or committee made both of those decisions.

Vegetarian omelette is the worst MRE or any other "meal."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 23, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Armacham posted:

Same energy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Training programs to get Ukrainian AF worked up on NATO equipment. The stuff we are doing hopefully gets Ukraine to the end of the year. But nobody in the West is making any more T64s or T72s or 152mm shells, once that stuff is gone then it's gone. Even if the war ends this year the Ukranian AF is going to need to start transitioning off that stuff next year to continue to deter Russia. And if the war does go long term then we should be thinking about starting now on the stuff that takes 12 months to learn how to operate and deploy.

They're a little busy right now...that's also a very complicated issue.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

efb, of course

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Joke Miriam posted:

The hardliners merely lacked sufficient numbers of gay Nazi samurai writers

Also, They Shall Not Grow Old is very good. As far as I can remember, there’s no maps or dates or names. Just, archival interview recordings with anonymous old Tommies talking about what it was like say-to-day to be a Tommy in WWI

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot this. It's fantastic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

Or how to war for that matter.

Crazy talk. Russia is winning plenty bigly, thank you very much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why go historical? Yemen is certainly not a democracy, but they are currently in a war (that has involved invasions) with the dictatorships of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, the UAE, Qatar, and Egypt, all of which the US provides military support to.

Like it or not, the Saudis are aligned with the recognized government, and most of their fighting is against the Iran/North Korea/Hezbollah backed group that is also attacking civilians. The whole thing is a mess, and there aren't any actual "good guys" in this war, but framing the Houthis as "Yemen" is a take.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Possession isn't 9/10s. You're not wrong, but it doesn't contradict the Houthis being a lovely combatant in a nasty multi-sided civil war. The government-in-exile has some level of legitimacy and the Houthis have territory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can tell the color of a wine on sight with over 90% accuracy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I kind of want to just post a picture of Velveeta.

edit: correction, the great value knockoff

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRCNpcmxi6Q

The cheese caves are real and definitely still exist

250+ new posts since the last time I've been in this thread. Skip to the last page and THIS is what I see.

I love GIP so much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

If anyone is that dumb to do that again after the last 30+ years of work together then they deserve everything coming their way.

They won't have to, the US has the memory of a goldfish.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

why, they can just buy it at that point

Putin's actual goal spotted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CainFortea posted:

I am an A-10 defender and they should have them for doing sorties under AAA coverage.

That's not a thing on anything close to a modern battlefield.

Whether territory under Russian control qualifies is now debatable, which is still loving insane when I think about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Treetops are still good-ish against modern AAA, its just not a reliable defense. There is only so much advanced hardware can do about physics. An A-10 with a modern ECM pod at treetops? Good odds on the A-10

Strong disagree.

Edit: I think there are some situations where A-10s would be useful and survivable for Ukraine in this war. Those situations are few and far between; as mentioned these jets require a bunch of logistics and training, and they're an extremely limited commodity. Any significant battle damage stands a good chance of being just as effective as a kill, given the lack of ability to easily ship it to depot to be rebuilt.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 8, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GD_American posted:

Is an A-10 more survivable than what they’re currently using? If so, seems like a winner

Roughly on par, but without the ability to be repaired/replaced, and the further problem of having to teach the pilots to fly it, how to use the weapons because the ones they know aren't compatible, and the equivalent training for the ammo troops, and maintenance.

And during that time, you're pulling all those people out of the war.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bad news there, friendo - supposedly they've gotten rid of the "Zesty" sauce for good.

Of course, maybe that's just down here in Freedomland.

I had it this week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kill me now posted:

I would say Ukraine has passed the point of this war being an immediate existential battle for national survival. Unless they just plan on running their pre war pilot cadre into the ground until they are all dead you will eventually have to pull them off the "front lines" to train new pilots and/or retrain on new aircraft. They also can't exactly replace their SU-25 losses either.

They know how to fix them. They have parts and have some ability to fabricate new ones. They don't have that for A-10s. And I'm not talking about pulling people off the front lines. Part of what's helped Ukraine hold on has been their ability to defend their airspace. And the people making that happen are the ones who will be pulled back for a month of intense training. Is it worth the switch from Su-25 to A-10 when you have a break of a few weeks with NONE? Hell no. That juice is absolutely not worth the squeeze.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Why would they not just retrain a small part of the pilot force, instead of shutting down the entire air force? That seems to be a very black and white, all in approach.

They have the equivalent of 1-2 USAF squadrons of Su-25s, and about half a squadron of Su-24s. There's not a particularly large pool of personnel (not just pilots). Is it possible? Sure, with some pretty obvious drawbacks. But are they worth the benefits? Not really. Adding to what they have is a different story, but that's not a short term thing, which is what I'm trying to address. "Just give them A-10s" has so many more major hurdles that this whole line of thought is pretty much ridiculous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GD_American posted:

It seems like crunch programs for Ukrainian pilot training would be an effective dry run for WW3’s massive US civilian callup/trainup.

We can't build the aircraft fast enough to need that in a WWIII scenario.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Saukkis posted:

I think this would be the wrong approach unless we are confident their soviet planes will last until the end of the war.

Ukraine needs to start switching to western equipment and at the same time conserve their soviet equipment to manage an orderly transition, Otherwise they'll end up in a situation where they don't have enough useful soviet planes remaining and their western airforces aren't operational yet.

Admittedly it could be more convenient to receive more Mig-29s, but for some reason they seem to be too hard to acquire. Guess everyone who has them is too close to Russia to dare to give up them until replacements are fully operational.

If Poland is too nervous about being unable to spare its personnel for the duration of training, Ukraine probably holds the same opinion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

So like taking prospective UKRAF pilot officers and bringing them to the US and training them stateside and sending them back? Im assuming the Ukrainians are not going to want to give up active pilots to train on new platforms until they're in a position where they're not fighting for their existence.

This is pointless anyway unless the line items include setting up the UKRAF with the jets and logistical support for the new jets.

Initially, probably a handful of senior/experienced pilots, then what you said. This way you start off with some in-country cadre who can help shape the new guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whats Excalibur?

Expensive GPS guided artillery rounds.

Edit: That answer was much better than mine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

efb

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pick the right bomb and you don't really need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

*Russian bomber bombs itself*

A couple of planes have shot themselves down by underflying and overtaking bullets they fired.