Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As a UK Tankie (Tank Commander) I know little of air C2 but what's stopping NATO feeding ukraine SIGNIT and AWACS information from the polish side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ukraine has limited ability to translate that into kinetic use against Russia right now, so you can't easily tell what help they're getting.

Very true but a more passive bonus would be early warning for ground units, air states for troops, positioning of man portable air defence. Just breaks my heart as a service member of the UK seeing scenes of that Ukrainian pilot and ground forces literally fighting for their lives and country.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

McNally posted:

If the problem was the anti-Javelin cages the Russians put on their tanks, surely the answer to that is "keep hitting them until they die."

Ukranians tested those cages, they came up being useless.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
If anyone's interested this guy's active service, not Ukraine but has some great guides on formations and how to recognise russian vehicles

AFV Rec twitter

Also has an instagram with a lot of good stuff.

AFV Rec Instagram

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Getting a hearty :laffo: at fresh bread 2x/day, and showers/laundry “whenever there’s a significant pause”. Where the hell would that water even come from?

So anecdotally when we would conduct a 35 day exercise in Canada as Brits we'd have a shower unit brought out maybe once but that usually coincided in a change from live firing to blank TES exercise halfway through. Otherwise it'd be flannel washes most days, that's on tanks by the way.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Kazinsal posted:

alright listen pooty-poot, I've got a week of work left before a week of vacation and I plan on binge-watching the whole of Farscape over the next fourteen days. can you at least do me the decency of holding off for at least that long before you decide to launch SS-18 Satan, hallowed be his name? namaste

I'm in the last few months of my deployment to NATO eFP, he needs to calm his tits.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My suspicion is that the UA regulars are practicing opsec re: smartphones and social media given their experiences in Donbas with Russians exploiting Ukrainian cell phones for targeting. They've learned the hard way over the past eight years that you don't run around posting Tiktoks of your sick shots when the other side has SIGINT capabilities.

edit - if you want an example of what Ukrainian mud does to armored vehicles:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497885037324292098?cxt=HHwWhMCywaugx8kpAAAA

Few of my colleagues participated in Orbital, said they took it really seriously and we're all over their skills and drills when it came to emcon.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

lightpole posted:

Please tell me theres an escape hatch cuz otherwise ugh

Nope, one of my worst fears as a tank commander is flipping into a river, also looks like the bridge collapsed on that BMP, looks like Russian recce don't asses weight limits of bridges.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2022

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

vuk83 posted:

Tactical level comms doesn't really need to be encrypted. Any Intel gained is very perishable.

Nope, FUP's, OBS crossing, FLOT, Ressuply Details, C/S etc etc all transmitted, all incredibly valuable and not that perishable.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Catzr-xAun7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Helicopter getting twatted by a manpad, no bodies.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 5, 2022

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

-Anders posted:

That's from 2014 though.

Is it? So much being misreported, I'll edit now

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
2 Su25 take a beating

:nms:

Absolute wild scenes with 2 SU25s

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He wasn't Maori but Charles Upham was the only combat soldier who got the VC twice in WWII. After being captured his escape attempts were insane, "During his transfer on a civilian train while guarded by two Germans, Upham made his final escape attempt. Upham was only allowed to visit the toilet when the train was travelling at high speed to prevent him from jumping through a window. Nevertheless, Upham prised open the toilet window and jumped onto the tracks, knocking himself unconscious. After awakening, he escaped into a nearby orchard, but the even rows of trees and lack of undergrowth provided poor cover and he was recaptured after 12 hours." When he was finally liberated he immediately picked up a gun and wanted to keep fighting but was sent to the UK to recuperate. Fortunately post-war he did fine as a farmer and lived to an old age, the book about him Mark of the Lion was recommended by a goon a while back and is well worth your time.

Charles Uphams grandson, Harley Upham was my Squadron Sgt Major and RSM, can confirm the bloke is as hard as woodpecker lips.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I've got a couple of videos of me in a challenger 2 while we did the inoculation of fire demo from 105 light gun closest round drops about 50 m, you feel the percussion but it sounds like a hollow knock inside a tank, greatest danger is to optics for tanks from 105/155 artillery

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
How are they so bad at this? all these Zapads they get up to. every Battlegroup exercise I've done the Battlegroup would always hammer us with unaposed and apossed crossings. Crossings are so complex but we'd never bunch up like that or be allowed to, also your tracked and wheeled crossings shouldn't be that close either, I just don't get it.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm guessing engineer recce isn't a thing :downs:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

catfry posted:

going back to this question, the Ukr MoD yesterday said "We are focusing on the need to provide for 1 million people who will be facing the enemy."

this is in the context of the supply of equipment, so to me it sounds like he is talking about planning to field 1 million front line troops.

https://www.mil.gov.ua/en/news/2022/05/13/address-by-minister-of-defense-of-ukraine-oleksii-reznikov/

This sounds like a call to nations who can't contribute things like nlaws, old t72s to provide a stream of rations and logistical support to facilitate this, professionally it's really interesting to watch a nation go to a full war setting so quickly after an invasion.

Sucks that it's actually happening though.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
According to the Kharkiv mayor troops have restored the Ukraine border sign, absolutely blows my mind, sitting at the tank park in Estonia I never imagined Ukraine would have lasted this long let alone push them back.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I also like how the Ukrainians think Russians do personal admin.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

GD_American posted:

I looked at the Telegram and quickly regretted it.

The young lad talking really brings it home, I'm conflicted a little as I want Ukraine to absolutely pound the poo poo out of Russian forces but it's a sad human cost for both sides

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
What makes me laugh about CR2 is that 10 is such a poo poo number and I wonder how they'll integrate ukr Comms in to the las

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Valtonen posted:

10 is also small enough to just scrape a t-72 for the internal and external comms and refit by hand in a matter of days, not needing to design a larger-lasting plan for C2UKR variant.

Yeah makes sense to rip out all the bowman, more room for the commander as well without the combat screen. I swear if I see a registration that I've commanded absolutely taking names I'll be proud and also sad. T72s popping lids is all I dreamt about 😂

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

It's another one of those "the real secret was the industrial process" things.

Yeah, CR2 has Dorchester which is the upgraded Chobham and for us is still a big deal.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I find it hard to understand why Germany won't at least release other countries to allow Leopard 2 to be sent.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

SlowBloke posted:

I have a hunch that other European countries warehousing procedures are as hosed as Germany so it will pretty much destroy the Leo export reputation if a potential client will see them destroyed by being put in a warehouse for a bit.

Pretty much this a lot of contractors who are supposed to keep kit in a state of readiness fail and deliver freshly painted piles of poo poo that take months if not years to rectify.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So the US is sending a battalion of Abrams, I wonder what variant, I wonder if the logistics chain package will be able to support it.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Totally work safe: Tank brutally disables Russian troop carrier

https://twitter.com/bigSAC10/status/1618609882504257537

Situation awareness is massively reduced but that is comical, go gun front and release the grips is my goto when I'm doing very tight manoeuvring, that's an incredibly lazy gunner.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Caconym posted:

From looking at that there's also scattered artillery impacts around them.
In the early days you'd see them come to a stop when the first vehicles exploded, and then taking a full barrage. They seem to have learned that stopping is bad.

No good choices here, sit still taking a pounding from arty while non-enigneer (so untrained in mine clearing) dismounts try to clear a path, push forward and hope, or immediate retreat facing the commanders wrath back at base were the only options.
They seem to fear the commanders wrath more than mines.

I'll be honest with you, we did a Combat team + a company - of french Vs EFP Lithuania and the amount of column movement we saw from the spanish and Italians was ridiculous, their obstacle crossing was chaos no run in times in order to mitigate traffic and just sat in the open, we could spot the pt91 of the poles easily as the smoke coming of the engines was wafting above the treeline.

I think 14 Cr2s a company of infantry and a few leclercs and vabs held off an entire battlegroup.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Can you expand on the players a little bit more? A BCT of US and french? Or just a reinforced french bct?

British combat team from EFP Estonia, so 8 British tanks plus around 4/6 leclercs with a company of infantry/recce in vabs, we had a mounted recce british troop on warrior along with around 30 dismounts on warrior, heavily reliant on jav and nlaw. They didn't expect us to forward mount our armour to destroy the combined ITA and Spanish recce screen. Tbh we just didn't see much manoeuvre from the EU lot.

No Americans were involved in the exercise as it probably made the training area far too congested.

No Canadians either.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

Do you pronounce recce as 'wrecky'?

Absolutely

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'd hate to see the Ukrainian side as well, I just can't see them producing great trained replacements for line infantry.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
That's pretty intense, I'd love some subtitles, kinda perplexed what the other guy was doing other than feeding him ammo, also at the 5.40 mark it looks like a grenade landed in part of the trench. Uneasy viewing to say the least.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

RoyKeen posted:

Hope this is cool to post here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEmWE83P2LA
It's a pretty straight forward and level headed video from The Tank Museum about tanks in the war as well as a general overview.

The backroom storage area is a treasure trove of armour at Bovington, David's a bit of a big fish in a small pond but his knowledge is outstanding and when you get a chance to do an after hours back room tour it's a good experience.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Are there any decent podcasts that cover the conflict at a fairly high level? I drive from base to home for roughly 4/5 hours every Friday and Sunday and would like to get a nuanced view of what's happening, I don't really have time during the week when I'm instructing to get a good view on events.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

kemikalkadet posted:

Maybe not exactly what you’re after but Perun on YouTube does very detailed deep dives on specific topics around the war. It’s more high level stuff than day to day happenings but they’re always great. I think he’s some kind of defence analyst from New Zealand that makes them in his spare time.

Excellent I can listen to it through the car.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As long as it's a link and fair warning to content is given

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Jesus Christ it really is amateur hour for those two pilots.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

As a CR2 commander, it is indeed a little old around the edges but it's a great vehicle, the capabilities of long range hesh engagements seems to fit into Ukrainian tactics of using tanks as artillery, the only downside I see that makes it truly lacking in comparison to M1a2's and Leopard 2 A5 and above is the lack of hunter killer functionality at night which is addressed in the CR3 upgrade.

Charm rounds will do some serious damage to the tanks that the russians are putting up against them, what I'm not seeing though is true armoured manoeuvre, jockeying their positions, I'm seeing tanks being used piecemeal little or no infantry or recce screen and driving up obvious tracks but if your going to do that you really need to combat team it.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Pablo Bluth posted:

How configurable is the armour on C2 and from publicity shots so far, can you tell what they've been given or if they're without some optional upgrades? The video of the politician hooning about seems to not have the same level of side protection visible in photos from Iraq.

(Without breaking MoD secrecy)

You've got the TES variant (Theatre Entry Standard) basically, bar armour around the rear, back of the turret, extra chobham around the sides and front, thermal front and reversing cameras and a loaders RWS station instead of the pintle MG

Basically a bit like a British version of the Abrams TUSK system

Tes Varient of CR2

It also has a bird table with all the ECM on it.

I will say one thing, if they get the chaingun going, that thing is an absolute laser beam for a coax mg up to 1800m obviously you get trace burn out after a while but that thing is 👌

Honestly though it goes up to 72 ton at a full combat load so I'd be very wary of some of the bridges I've seen, that might have been a consideration for the lack of TES, but who knows.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a little surprised to see an American trainer involved in operating the gunnery simulators. Are they using a repurposed M1 gunnery sim?

So he's on a posting to lulworth, we have an exchange program between here and the US, when I went through my Phase 2 gunner at lulworth I had a yank instructor, the tab is a UK thing for Bovington and lulworth.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

On his other shoulder he has the standard US flag on top and Ukraine patch underneath. I figured he was there because they might be IS training equipment in the gunnery simulation room.

He's on an exchange, he teaches CR2 gunnery there is a Brit over in the states at the Armour school doing the exact same thing on Abrams. His normal day to day duties include training soldiers from units and sometimes also new recruits, nothing to do with international students.