Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

personally i really dont like french press. too oily. too gritty. gimme paper filter please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Is a French press a little or a lot better than a drop coffee maker?

French press tastes pretty good imo, but it has the same problem of the aeropress as not making enough coffee at once. If i'm making coffee, I'd rather just make a giant carafe of drip so I can drink it over a couple of hours, and not have to deal with making 4 pots of french press.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a maybe 18-20oz french press. I fill it up with water (and grounds of course) to about the 16-17 line and it fits in my 16oz yeti mug. Stays warm for a long rear end time. Actually it stays hot for a really long time. I could probably burn myself after 30 minutes of it being in there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

binge crotching posted:

French press tastes pretty good imo, but it has the same problem of the aeropress as not making enough coffee at once. If i'm making coffee, I'd rather just make a giant carafe of drip so I can drink it over a couple of hours, and not have to deal with making 4 pots of french press.

just stack 4 aeropresses on top of each other and daisy chain the plunger

or i guess you could put 4 next to each other and press them all at once into a very wide mug

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bad Purchase posted:

daisy chain the plunger

You have no idea how many times these words have come up in my life.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you have high cholesterol issues French press (or basically any format that uses a metal filter rather than paper) can raise LDL and triglycerides 10 points or more over time if you’re a moderate to heavy coffee drinker.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

I had zero coffee and now im tired

Holy poo poo I though you died.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

my gf uses instant coffee b/c she doesn't want to work out how to use my coffee machine. should i sever

once she tried to use kitchen roll as a makeshift coffee filter because she ran out of instant (again rather than trying to use the coffee machine)

If she's the kinky type, talk her into a little bondage play (no safe word). Then tie her up in the kitchen. Then demonstrate how to use the coffee machine, and quiz her to check she remembers. If she gets anything wrong, repeat the lesson until she has full knowledge of making coffee using the machine.

Then you can untie her (if she wants).

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched like 5 episodes of Seinfeld what the hell is wrong with me

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I use the burr grinder (it's inexpensive and messy) and a french press..

The instant stuff is surprisingly good... for instant. It's from Aldi and was like $1.79 or something ridiculous. I just use it when I'm really lazy and don't want to do the french press.

You monster.

At least buy freeze dried instant for when you're too lazy to grind and plunge. Freeze dried is always way better than powdered.

Or much better, buy some ground for same. I've had periods of severe laziness but have never too slack to make plunger coffee with ground.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you have high cholesterol issues French press (or basically any format that uses a metal filter rather than paper) can raise LDL and triglycerides 10 points or more over time if you’re a moderate to heavy coffee drinker.

Do you have a source for this? I'm not understanding how fine filter holes being in metal rather than paper would affect the liquid coffee chemistry at all.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

Do you have a source for this? I'm not understanding how fine filter holes being in metal rather than paper would affect the liquid coffee chemistry at all.

the filter gets rid of most of the oil. paper filters anyway, not so much the reusable kind with the bigger holes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BigBadSteve posted:

This was just the first google result but there’s a pretty substantial body of evidence.

https://voltagecoffee.com/is-french-press-coffee-bad-for-you/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BigBadSteve posted:

You monster.

At least buy freeze dried instant for when you're too lazy to grind and plunge. Freeze dried is always way better than powdered.

Or much better, buy some ground for same. I've had periods of severe laziness but have never too slack to make plunger coffee with ground.

I'm pretty sure it's freeze dried. Spray dried is much more fine and like a powder and this is in very very light pebble type form. I thought most instant coffee was freeze dried.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't like wet stuff so i just eat a spoonful of folgers crystals in the morning and i'm good to go

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Drinking water at 9 on a Wednesday night :flip:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Drunk driving on a Wednesday
With three bitches in an MPV
Half a gallon of Georgie Porgie
And cranberry: that's the P.O.P

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes i drink my jav' (that's my slang for coffee) in one of those timy cups

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm pretty sure it's freeze dried. Spray dried is much more fine and like a powder and this is in very very light pebble type form. I thought most instant coffee was freeze dried.

Cheaper instant coffees aren't freeze dried. Freeze dried costs more to make than non-freeze-dried instant, and the retail price reflects this. Because of that, the jar label will definitely say "Freeze Dried" if it is freeze dried.

There's an upmarket freeze dried coffee called Moccona here in Australia, not sure if you can buy it in your country. It's all right for (freeze dried) instant, and way better than cheapo instants. Comes in multiple variations, i.e. one with caramel, etc. etc.

I have bought store brand freeze dried occasionally from supermarkets here which were OK and quite a bit cheaper than the fancier branded ones.

Some instants have large granules for some reason (Maxwell House springs to mind), but once you look at freeze dried, you'll be able to identify the difference. Freeze dried 'granules' have smoother sides, here's a sample:

(Moccona caramel coffee granules. The few darker granules have absorbed water because I opened the jar like 2 years ago. I don't drink instant much.)

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This was just the first google result but there’s a pretty substantial body of evidence.

Thanks very much for this info. I do have high chelesterol and high blood pressure, and though they're under control with meds, I'm working at gradually improving my diet. I'll def. look at changing to paper filter coffee after I scare up the time to work out what filtering setup to buy (maybe one of the new skool combo plunger/paper filter jobs someone's already mentioned ITT).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My drip setup is the Ninja 12-cup and I love it. It comes with a metal filter but you don’t have to use it, just pop in a #4 paper filter instead. Best drip maker I’ve ever used. It does the “bloom” thing where it just moistens the grounds a bit and let’s them soak for a minute before it actually starts brewing so it’s basically an automated pour-over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-coffee-12-cup-coffee-brewer-silver/6357659.p?skuId=6357659

naem
May 29, 2011

kntfkr posted:

I don't like wet stuff so i just eat a spoonful of folgers crystals in the morning and i'm good to go

we used to do this with the packet of instant coffee in MRE’s

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MANNKITCHEN COFFEE CAULDRON

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

kntfkr posted:

Drunk driving on a Wednesday
With three bitches in an MPV
Half a gallon of Georgie Porgie
And cranberry: that's the P.O.P

you guys aight, but I ain't trying to have an orgy

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Time for a cappucino and some Bathory!!!

Thanks for sharinv my coffee life!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
another day another aero press coffee! so delicious and makes me feel nice

Add a bit of milk for that nice coffee taste!!

Darkthrone to feel good about the day

Thanks for sharign my coffee life!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

currently sipping on a totally gross no-name brand instant coffee

its pretty bleak lol

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
that stuff is actually brutal and fuckin gross

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
like no wonder theres all these dam bizzarre 'creamers' that completely erase any coffee flavours

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Just ordered an AeroPress Go and extra paper filters thanks to the fine advice of the coffeehounds ITT. Can't wait to use it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I made an iced coffee with the Kirkland cold brew, some milk, and two Stevias. I've had these cold brews for a while but always forget I have them.

Pretty good.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I had a cuppa cups today (lol1) first one was a denny coffee that was pure garbage poo poo

next one was a cappa that is nice but i burned my mouth rope

thanks forsharing my coffee life!!!!!!!!!!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
drat i can't wait to bust out the french press cold brew once it gets hot out

hello coffee thread

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Drinking coffee, and cola too, a couple of hours before bed.

Imbibing delicious caffeinated beverages with this sort of timing of doesn't keep genuine (pronounced jen-yoo-wine, Americans) caffeine addicts like myself awake.

If you want to achieve the same, drink more caf bev, throughout the day (I guess I have about 8-10 of said drinks on a typical day).

If you have high blood pressure though, get your doctor's advice first, then choose to ignore it.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
I got some Ethiopian Khosa Geshe coffee for Christmas and it was/is the best coffee I've ever had, hands down

Otherwise I drink Kroger brand supreme coffee blend (the red can) - it's serviceable without tasting burnt, a la french roast/breakfast blends. For decaf I use Dunkin donuts brand, which is surprisingly good.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
I'm not mentioning monday coffee on a sunday

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

TheSpamalope posted:

like no wonder theres all these dam bizzarre 'creamers' that completely erase any coffee flavours

I usually drink coffee to erase the cream taste

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Oh I thought we were talking about cum

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

they also mention they measured those results from people having 5 cups a day. i know this is a coffee drinking thread but i feel like 5 cups is a pretty large amount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whos havin a Sunday coffee