Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its "we need to look tough on Putin and tough on immigration" but they don't want to look callous on the second half of that. So instead of explicitly coming down against welcoming Ukrainian refugees, they fall back on the phrase "we need a simplified process" when dealing with applications, which as far as I can tell means "we need a better website".

Its also well within the liberal framework. They'll quite happily demand an escalation of violence against Russia but they sure as gently caress don't want a Ukrainian moving in next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Eddie Dempsey did sign on to the spectacularly badly judged Stop the War letter, the content of which does not appear to have been misrepresented.

Eddie Dempsey also definitely wrote that Morning Star obituary of a leading Donbas separatist commander. This has now mysteriously disappeared from their website, but the Wayback Machine comes through for us. In it, Dempsey is enthusiastically on the side of the Russian-backed separatists (denying any Russian backing, of course) and against Euromaidan, describing the Kyiv government as a junta. The quotes in the Telegraph have been faithfully reproduced from the obituary. The man he was eulogising definitely ran kangaroo courts in Luhansk.

Mick Cash also did write a circular in 2015 urging support for "Solidarity with the Antifascist Resistance in Ukraine" and also described the Ukrainian government as "far right". Again this is now unavailable on the RMT website, but doesn't escape the Wayback Machine. Describing the post-Euromaidan governments of Ukraine as fascists is the exact rhetoric that Vladimir Putin has been deploying during the current invasion.

But sure, let's just handwave these extremely uncomfortable things away. A total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!

You've convinced me; the RMT strikes are Neo-Soviet plot. Do you reckon Putin is behind the Coventry bin strike as well? That's the sort of thing that crafty man would do. Anyone that's done intelligence work in the UK knows how angry Brits get when their bins aren't collected.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ronya you get a lot of poo poo in here on occasion but its nice to see someone with a cooler head posting about the situation in here and the D&D thread.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Richard Seymour wrote a book called The Liberal Defence of Murder which covers the way the liberals and parts of the left embraced interventions as anti-imperialist adventures.

Would it shock any of you that the rhetoric and arguments that the liberals in that book deploy are entirely identical the ones you see today.

edit; also, Johann Hari? lmao, what a name to remember. Even at the time he was widely seen as a bullshitter, it was pretty funny when he was properly found out. Thought he was going to be a great figure in journalism but was the pound shop Stephen Glass.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 3, 2022

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Socially liberal but economically conservative you say?

Well sign me up to this new approach to politics.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

That is some interesting editing lol. Yeah, people only stopped voting for Labour up here because of that darned Corbyn!!
"Corbyn lost Scotland" is literally a thing libs talk about a lot, even though its quickly shown to be false by a single search on Wikipedia.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There were some white chocolate ones of those for a while, I'm sure it was Home Bargains I used to get them from. No more though :(
Check Co-Op if you have one nearby. They're always in mine and they're always on sale. If I knew you better I'd be tempted to pilgrimage to mind one and send you a bunch.

Because of this thread I bought the Cookies and Cream ones today and they're so good I always almost tempted to let my dog have one to share the love (I gave her some cheese instead, she didn't complain).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If things stayed the same at the next election I just wouldn't have voted but if Boris kills Chelsea FC I might have a reason to vote Tory for once in my life.

Obviously I won't but at least the Tories in that one specific case are offering me an opportunity to relish in some spite at an entity I hate.

Labour offers nothing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Is Ian Austin the dog nonce?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Curious to see how Labour Friends of the Police react to these shocking smears against our lovable heroes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Worst Person in The World is an immensely good movie but even the lead actress pointed out that its title would lead to comedy. She pictured ex-boyfriends seeing her face on the poster and that title and feeling a sense of satisfaction.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Let me powerbomb the queen
No get the Dudley Boyz to do it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats bullshit what they've done to will smith

i guess they spoke to their publicists about how to keep themselves relevant

https://twitter.com/Hanzi83/status/1512528305395748866?s=20&t=-MB3PmVBDvpXn3Gz8Gk1FQ

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Had this garlic sauce in Romania which had a horse-raddishy spice to it. You'd feel its in your nostrils and every time you took another sip if your drink.

It was loving quality.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd be willing to bet that the angriest replies to Diane Abbott's post are people that have had a lot to say about her appearance in the past.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its the hypocrisy that gets me.

So its perfectly acceptable for a Labour MP to have a wank in the comfort of their own home, but a Conservative MP isn't allowed to tempt a danger wank in the commons? Its political correctness gone mad. What happened to this country?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Any successes that Labour had from 2015-2019 were entirely down to Long Blair. The public just can't get enough of him. He won three elections in a row, not sure if you heard about it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If Starmer was in charge during covid he'd means test the availability of covid tests.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Actually it is in most workplaces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKH9ECC_Qa4

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Personally I blame the British electorate for not embracing an electable candidate when presented with one.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ronya posted:

it does seem odd for a Tory government to not want to run on economic issues at a time when economic concerns are rising - traditional party strength - but trust in this government on the economy is remarkably low

the timing on crime is perhaps due to inevitable media coverage on the midyear iteration of Operation Sceptre: you're going to be hearing about it anyway etc. Plus, free culture war jabs thrown in, why not.
Its also an easy pivot because its already fairly ingrained into British media that under Sadiq Khan London has hit a murder rate comparable to Caracas.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

crazyvanman posted:

Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo8vqIqCgRw

I can't work out if this is a parody or not? Like, there are so many hilarious bits that I can't even pick one. Also, because I'm the only one awake in the house I have the volume low, and it really sounds like 'gently caress youuuu, your majesty', and that makes it a pretty good song.
This is Britain. Theres a zero percent chance this is parody.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Racism in the UK existed from September 2015 until April 2020. All the rest is banter or pragmatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

All I see is support for the Azov freedom fighters.