Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

I had a lot of fun with those yorkshire puds mind you. Fajitas using them instead of tortillas were great.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you start to think putin's in the right dont you

Well, that escalated quickly.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Some people just naturally pick up accents quick too like. I speak with a pretty broad western Scottish accent, but because a good friend of mine is very Scouse, I now unconsciously add "like" to the end of a lot of sentences, it's a curse like.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of 'lip pointing' as a very culturally linked but almost universal gesture around much of the northern bit of South America (although it gets commonly called Colombian).

Hey, look at that thing over there! :biglips:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

To recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque and insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less.

New Labour: yes but if the starving man ate less he would be able to afford more food so he wouldn't starve!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I view it as similar to saying Ukraine, not the Ukraine. Just because commentariat twats are doing it, doesn't mean it's not a good thing to do.

I find it very hard to get out of WW2 Eastern front mode when reading place names though...

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Churchill didn't actually go into any warzones afaik

it's just that "you will fight them on the beaches" doesn't have the same ring to it

I read a bit from Antony Beevor's book about D-Day last night, about 7 or 8 days after the invasion started Churchill visited the beachhead with Eisenhower. When getting ready to make the trip back to England Churchill spotted a destroyer about to start a naval bombardment mission, got really excited, and insisted that he be allowed to stand on the deck so he could 'join in'. I think that's probably about as close as he got during WWII.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

victorian water idiot

Boris Johnson?

More of a custard idiot I suppose

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

It's past midday though

Silly Americans

e:f,b

Silly me

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Got a scary Amazon/scammer scare there over the last week that I thought I'd share to warn others.

So my mother bought some clothes on Amazon, due March 29th, by Royal Mail.
Day came, but mum was out, and so missed the delivery. No card, nothing left at neighbours as can happen sometimes, nothing.
Few hours later my brother (who ordered it for her) got a text from a 'Simon' that said he had to pay £2 for the delivery.
The text had no mention of Royal Mail, the link wasn't to their site, just you had to pay £2.
Brother thought it was suspicious, and went through the royal mail website to redeliver it today.
Got it today, and when talking to our local postie about it, he said it was definitely a scam to get your bank details.

Anyone hear about this scam before?
How did they know we had a delivery and it was not collected?

I had the same thing, haven't ordered anything online for months. The message didn't give a company or courier name either, I didn't even click the link. So yeah, seems like random chance by scammers.

e. I didn't realise it was so common! Makes sense I guess

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 5, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Speaking of Easter eggs, I have been wondering about the economics of them. Specifically, why do they get put out so early? There are literally eggs on the shelves on New Years' Day. Why is this? Supermarket shelving is valuable, yet not only have I never heard of anyone I know ever buying an Easter egg well before Easter, I've also never seen it, and in fact I can't remember even seeing a gap on those shelves suggesting that someone did buy one. Every year, there's shelf after shelf of pristine, untouched eggs taking up space that could be filled with other things people want to buy, for months. I'm not one of those people who complains at "Easter getting earlier every year," I just don't understand the financial reason for it.

I don't know about new year, but my experience in small-scale retail at least was that seasonal stuff (Christmas especially) gets put out months in advance because it takes so long to receive the delivery, check the delivery, organise, price, and merchandise it. I could also say that for every person complaining about how early it was for X, I saw 5 people browsing and buying stuff from the display. I don't know how much that applies to large-scale retail like supermarkets, with just-in-time deliveries.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Ha-HA, now THIS thread has the Martlet

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I welcome the Reichskanzler's commitment to attaching themselves to the fringe, and encourage them to go further and attach to the entire haircut.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

So much prison slang is embedded in day to day British idioms, almost as if the whole island itself is a prison.

Alright Mr Foucault, let's be 'avin' you

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out the only people who actually like this hideous policy are leave voting Tories, quelle surprise.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1514590971354308610?t=o0Cy7NfVlPdRu64j2T_Vtg

It's absolutely not a surprise, but seeing this today still made me feel sick. 35% support this, for gently caress's sake!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I didnt intend to be I thought it was a comedy summary of the thread's contradictory advice. But if not OK i dunno

Drink

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I've never been more proud of anything than I am right now :')

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Bobstar posted:

*I did "enjoy" the Wasp Factory by Iain Note Spelling Banks', might try some of his other non-M ones.

The Bridge is my favourite of his.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

We may not know the full extent of the damage caused by Long Blair for years to come.

Please, everyone, make sure you and your loved ones are vaccinated.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 30, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Don't understand the need libs have to be as non political as possible. It's called politics the clue is in the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP-z03rfj7w

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also I have been driving past a flagpole in someone's garden for a while and it is very confusing me now.

Normally it flies a union jack, fair enough, could be worse could be an england flag, weird but the default option for flagpole havers I guess.

Then it switched to ukraine flag, ok cool nice sentiment, there's a few about and if you have a flagpole might as well.

But as of I think yesterday, it started flying an irish flag with a clover in the middle.

So I am now extremely confused about someone who is britnat enough to have a flagpole but also apparently has just been conquered by Ireland??

Also the flagpole at the tory club in saltburn has been at half mast since thatchermas and I don't know if they've just forgot to put it back up or whether it's broke or whether they are just very sad.

On my estate there's a house with three flagpoles: one with the Union Jack, one with the Irish flag, and one with a Jolly Roger. I have never really known what to make of it.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Why do we call everything gate here too. Why don't we have our own proper British term.

Which of the two leaders' scandals will cause their downfall - Partypaedoring or Beerpaedoring?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Like the Queen RIP gives a poo poo

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Which, like, should not be too surprising, by it's very nature it's kind of personal.

Something that you should at least pay :10bux: to be able to read

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

Thanks, guys. I was hoping it was my anaemia, as my surgery refuses to give me a booster of b12 until the day after three months since the last one... but I've been here before. Nothing like having your brain whiring away at 4 am whilst you are so tired you can't fight off the doubts. At least I have you all.

Take care of yourself Trickjaw. Depression sometimes causes me to have too much sleep as well, if we can somehow synthesise the two we can create dialectic sleep :eng101:

I found that meditation really helped me when I was anxious or couldn't sleep, focusing on your breathing and then telling each part of your body to go to sleep in turn at the very least may help you relax, even if it doesn't send you to sleep.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

"cultural temporal cohorts"

Oh yeah, they were grunge weren't they?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

My dad was patiently explaining to me the other day, during a discussion on the topic of ALAB, that one of his friends is such a good landlord he even makes a loss on the properties he owns. And was then taken aback when I asked "why the gently caress is he a landlord then"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Remember it's in Ofgems remit to stop energy companies making excess profits.
So when the cap gets raised again in October, coupled with spiralling fuel costs and the fact it will be cold enough for everyone's household energy use to shoot up god knows what will happen.

Revolutionary Ofgem Faction (M-L)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nothing is worse than the American way of saying niche

Plus his legacy was abused by his sister and the Nazis after he died