Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

wtf you totally can live off yellow sticker food, don't even have to go shopping that much, just bung it all in the freezer. It actually really irks me that it's so much cheaper to live off reduced ready meals than it is to cook fresh. I like cooking, it chills me out in the evening

In other news, I was just in an emergency Union meeting full of over 100 loving moderates, one actual confessed union scab, and exactly 4 people with any appetite for escalation. One of whom was responsible for assembling the working group on what further action should be taken & guess which 3 other people are in it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Can anyone point me towards any concrete examples of the EHRA definition of antisemitism being a big pile of poo poo used to suppress left wing free speech/criticism of Israel (apart from the obvious), ideally with sources, or criticism of it by Jewish groups, that sort of thing? Need it for a thing

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks Jaeluni, knew you'd have something useful :)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

Russia is not officially at war.
What was that declaration of war about then?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol can you seriously make something 'not a war' by calling it something else? Hi, yes, I'm sending troops into your borders uninvited and shelling your cities and shooting your citizens, but we're definitely not at war, dumbass.
The old "actchually it's not technically a war crime because it's our own citizens our soldiers are indiscriminately targeting with biological weapons :smug:" argument also gets trotted out depressingly often (see: NI, I/P, American policing operating normally)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

It can be unhealthy in the sense that it is counterproductive to survival but that doesn't stop it being more accurate than the alternative.
It actually isn't more accurate than the alternative. I, a person with chronic depression, know full well that I'm better off alive than dead, despite constant thoughts to the contrary, & even if the end result is the same. I'm sure given a choice as to whether I died or not you would absolutely choose for me not to, which is completely inconsistent with your previous post.

tbh a lot of your posts smack of motivated reasoning from a depressed person, I've seen my own thoughts do the same thing. It's very easy to rationalise why your negative thought processes are actually completely true. But, you are wrong, and imo therapy would be very good for you, so please get help. Challenging these kinds of thought processes is literally the only thing that widely available therapies are good for, but they are good for it, and will improve your life.

It has to be your choice since it's a lot of loving work & needs to start from accepting that maybe these thought processes are irrational, but... just throwing a voice on the pile in case it helps it to sink in. They are irrational, there are good things in the world.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Honestly that just sounds like you had a poo poo therapist. When I had a good one, it wasn't "don't listen to your thoughts listen to me", it was "lol your rationalising sucks git gud n00b". Now I can pretty easily spot when my brain's tricking me & just don't get sucked into counterproductive & irrational thought processes.

I'm still depressed tho lol, I just have a job & stuff now. Still, better

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also considering the whole point of therapy is to teach you to work stuff out by yourself, if what you got from it was "don't listen to yourself & take what I say on faith", it sounds like you might just have been too depressed to engage with your therapy properly

Hence the closing of my post before last, it's got to come from you. Worth it in the end though

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 2, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

“your feelings are valid but also wrong”
Try "your feelings are valid but your thoughts on the subject are completely arse backwards". There's no contradiction there.

It's normal to feel poo poo about world being a gently caress & beyond our power to fix, but it's also very easy to use that to rationalise a bunch of other harmful & irrational thoughts, which is just hurting yourself for no reason. Better to feel slightly less poo poo imo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's stuff like this:

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that I would be protecting them from anything, the government is already killing them by inches, and thanks to their hostility I have few of them left, I'm afraid it's going to take more than "we will kill you slower" to offset the joy of watching it all go up in flames.

My kin have no future and neither do I, they've made sure of that. So why should I give a poo poo?
This is an argument of the form "people will die anyway"=>"it makes no difference if they die sooner in a worse way". I've oversimplified a bit there, but it (like a lot of your posts) seems to rely on the axiomatic belief that life is not worth living. Which you can call observational if you like, but that's motivated reasoning, based on a whole lot of confirmation bias & the like, ignoring evidence to the contrary.

I think you know better than most that people are fundamentally not rational beings, yet you seem to cling religiously to the belief that your negative feelings are rational. It's a contradiction.

I don't expect you to believe me, I just hope that if people keep telling you this it might help eventually.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

What would be the difference if I felt otherwise, out of curiosity?
The difference would be that you would feel better. That's it

E: I just baked a camembert & had it with some French bread & chutney & a nice glass of red, doing so is another extremely good way to make yourself feel better that I recommend highly

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jiggerypokery posted:

You mean the taliban?

It's worse than when they were last in power, by all accounts.
I suspect OP does mean that, but Daesh have, in fact, rolled in

they're just using their trademark tried-and-true approach to any conflict (losing badly)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jiggerypokery posted:

As an aside, i never really saw the point of just calling them "islamic state" in Arabic.
Muslims don't like calling them IS, because it implies that they are Islamic & a state, & also they like being called that, whereas "Daesh" (although literally the same thing in Arabic) is a homophone for a word meaning "dishonourable" & apparently pisses them right off, so that's the one I go with

My only source on this is literally one person who said something like that one time, but since she was a Muslim & that makes a 100% sample of Muslim opinions I've heard I'm gonna go ahead & follow her lead on this

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Friends, I'm like 8 pages behind but I thought that you should all see this pin badge urgently:

Who is this for? Is there literally anybody that it wouldn't annoy? :psyduck:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'd have thought that solar plants would be a good idea even if not economical because eggs/baskets

The problem with renewables is consistency & storage, & sunny-but-still days exist, so having some solar as well as wind should reduce our dependency on fossils, no?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

The email saying "our legally binding agreement states you are agreeing to pay our fees and costs but don't worry, if we lose we won't charge you anything" wasn't exactly reassuring.
They literally do have to word it like that, that's not suspicious (however, check what they charge if they do win)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pablo Bluth posted:

Islamophobia mandatory
Shitiness is our guiding principle
I feel the original was more true to the Johnsonian approach

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My experience is that there's a perception at charities that it would be hypocritical to not pay your own staff a competitive wage, so yes, charity workers often do & should earn a decent living

However, there's also a perception in society in general that being a CEO is a real job involving actual work & that it should be rewarded with more pay rather than being fed into a woodchipper, which is not the case

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

25% of winnings, apparently
Literally the legal maximum on how much they're allowed to charge on a CFA, cool.

(also the most common amount for firms to charge so don't let me put you off, it all sounds on the level to me, the form saying "you are liable for all of my costs here is my hourly rate" is scary I know but it's genuinely nothing to worry about & it is literally a legal requirement for them to say that)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also for people worried about the sketchiness of the firm, you can look up law firms on the SRA website (link), & click through to look at individual solicitors' records if you like. Haven't looked much but can't see any red flags.

Considering law firms tend to be owned & operated by lawyers, I wouldn't particularly be put off by all the £millions of debt, it's probably all owed to a holding company in the name of one of the directors' dogs.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not that it needs saying itt but prison is not a good place to be an elderly person. They're all about arbitrary punishment there, & you can do that on old people just by treating them the same as young people. Like they'll just take away the cushion you need to sit on the hard chairs for no reason, & then you're hosed

Then they'll openly brag about how funny it was during an interview with a researcher with the recorder on, get absolutely monstered in the paper & later lose their job as warden for saying the quiet part loud lmao

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

Hmm, this is reassuring but does it mean they can't possibly charge me any money beyond 25% of the winnings? They promise not to in the email, but I don't know if that would count for anything against actually signing a contract agreeing to pay whatever. How come it's a legal requirement?
iirc the way it works is basically: you've got 2 separate contracts with the solicitor. One of them is for them to do the work at their normal rate, so they are required to provide all the information about their charge out rates &c (that's the scary document). The other is the conditional fee arrangement, under which they agree not to charge you that. They have to do it that way as the industry is tightly regulated (iirc CFAs were originally used by law firms to get around the regulations, so now they're regulated too, hence the 25% maximum). The only circumstance in which they could charge you full whack is if you breach the CFA - which is extremely hard to do, I remember asking at the firm I used to work at & apparently it had happened in that department literally once ever, with a client that had provided a bunch of fraudulent evidence & basically wasted everybody's time all the way up to trial when it came out.

One thing that occurred to me last night though that I should probably have mentioned (seemed obvious to me but in hindsight it absolutely wouldn't be obvious to clients): your solicitor won't charge you if you lose. You may still be liable for the other side's legal costs. You should talk to the solicitors about that: costs aren't recoverable in some types of claim (but it seems unlikely that they'd be happy to use a CFA in those cases), and the costs can vary wildly in other claims. e.g., it's not uncommon for costs in defamation claims to run into the hundreds of thousands, which would be a serious problem if there aren't many people involved in this action. In straightforward contract claims it's generally a lot lower, I've personally not seen it go much higher than ~30k for a first instance hearing in the more complex cases, which is nbd if there's a few thousand of you. Definitely ask about it though.

e: also if they're taking a big claim on a CFA they are probably pretty drat sure that they won't lose, but even a 99% certainty is still a 1% risk so it's definitely something you should ask

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 8, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

That's very interesting, thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea what the potential payout might be for a data breach lawsuit like this?
No idea, sorry. The solicitors probably have a good assessment though (since they're hoping to keep 25% of it)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dabir posted:

(ask the Crimean Tatars about that one).
Pretty sure they loved Ukranian 'taters, so much so that they didn't leave any for the rest of them

e: in 1929 in Ukraine some policies were implemented that set into play a chain of events which eventually led to this awful, awful joke

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 9, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I used to sometimes show up to parish council meetings when i was a young weird nerd, they mostly seem to spend the time discussing which of their family members to bung some cash to that month & for which excuse

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think maybe you should call (or otherwise contact) one of the hotlines for advice:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/getting-help-for-domestic-violence/
This would also be my advice.

Also Shelter. You shouldn't have to choose between violence and homelessness. There's a chance you might be considered vulnerable for the purpose of the local authority's obligation to house, but you need expert advice. Shelter's a good starting point, if you need a lawyer & qualify for legal aid they'll be able to tell you.

Really sorry that's happening to you mate.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

also don't know what the spy jargon is but I always thought "[state] asset" meant "person who is useful to [state] interests", whether that be because they directly take money to advance your agenda or because they'll pretty much do it anyway if you give them a nudge. Not seeing the distinction between "is paid by Russia to advance Russia's agenda" & "Russian asset" at all

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

I don't believe Nigel Farage wants to weaken liberal democracy though. Certainly less than I want to, as a libertarian communist. Nigel Farage wants to reduce the size of the state when it comes to taxes because he's a libertarian but would see an increase of it in regards to border enforcement because he's a nativist racist. But bring a nativist racist who supports cutting the welfare state into a fraction of its already reduced size is hardly incompatible with liberal democracy.
But, like... it's still participating.

I don't actually particularly want to do half the stuff I do at work, but I do it because they pay me. I can't really argue that I'm not participating in work stuff just because I don't actually care about most of it.

e: I also take issue with the "otherwise perfect liberal democracy" bit, because one of the many problems with liberal democracy is that it's incredibly vulnerable to fuckery by rich people(/state actors), so pointing out that that's happening is, like... yeah, it kinda sucks when you think about it?

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 11, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

happy birthday, OwlFancier's dick

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Unkempt posted:

*wanking may not succeed
I remember a lad at school enthusiastically tellinbg me that if you put a dab of cocaine on the end of your cock before you wank off you get high whilst you wank & it feels great, long story short I came in the next day & was like you did not actually try that did you

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress do you get cocaine from in school?
Fella around the corner named Sketchy Dave, the gently caress kind of school did you go to?

jiggerypokery posted:

And did it work?
It did not work at all, & I am not referring to the cocaine here

e: I am talking about my penuis

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 11, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In my opinion the fact that lots of people & groups interfere with our lovely democracy is not a valid reason not to pay attention when Russia does it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

can some pigs please get prosecuted and sent to jail for this, please
narrator voice &c

I swear to God when my daughter starts school if I ever hear of a single police officer setting foot onsite I will absolutely lose my poo poo. If literally anything that ever happens within a school becomes a criminal matter rather than a welfare/safeguarding matter, you have already Done hosed Up, bigly, and need to fix that gently caress up before treating literal children like criminals.

Tesseraction posted:

Is there a single cop in the Met who isn't blatantly a criminal themselves?
This is unfair

The married ones are even worse, the single ones at least don't beat their partners

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

I missed this story, is the girl black by any chance?
You, Madam/Sir/Other, are a wizard

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm no seamster but I feel that a sewing needle the same size as a twix would be fairly impractical

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cookie Cutter posted:

For discussion's sake, if I WAS to place the majority of the blame at the feet of NATO and the West, what would be the realistic counter arguments to that?
The fact that it's very clearly an unprovoked war of aggression by Russia.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cookie Cutter posted:

I get what you're saying. For me it's the "unprovoked" interpretation that I take issue with mainly, especially in light of things like, internal memos from the US side saying "if we keep doing this thing it will pressure an invasion of Ukraine", Putin saying for many years the same thing, 8 years of the west taking a blind eye to civilian killings by the Ukrainian side in the seperatist regions, etc. Like how do you think the US would act if there was a militia on the Mexican border shelling American civilians for 8 years? There's a lot there to add nuance to one's interpretation, and to add another voice in opposition to the "Putin is mad/Hitler" crowd, which I don't think is a helpful view of the situation in any way.
Well yeah NATO isn't blameless. However, nobody made Russia invade, Ukraine was not a threat, it was unprovoked.

Was talking yesterday about a guy I used to know who was a notorious psycho & hard as nails, one time somebody owed him a fiver & refused to pay so he broke his jaw & through him through a shop window (before taking his wallet, which had a tenner in it). Should the debtor have bloody well known better? Yes. Is he blameless? No. Who's fault is it that his jaw got broken and he got thrown through a window? Very clearly the guy who broke his jaw and threw him through a window.

radmonger posted:

Now is the time not to be demonstrably wrong on them. So no defending of takes that were made in the absence of all the stuff that recently became evident.
imo now is literally the worst time to be discussing NATO's faults in popular discourse, because people don't listen to the actual words you say and instead jump straight to "you are against NATO, therefore you are pro-Putin". That's why the rally round the flag effect is such a big thing. idk what the answer is tho cuz NATO is indeed a big crock of poo poo, it's just that Putin's Russia is an equally big crock of much smellier poo poo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Fairly sure Ukraine hasn't been shelling Russia for 8 years

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Oh right so feedmegin's version was accurate. More fool me for taking "for discussion's sake" in good faith, I guess.

Jedit posted:

That would beg the counter-questions of why Mexicans were considered to be American civilians and why the US was funding a Mexican militia. Because that's what's actually going on. The separatists in Eastern Ukraine are funded and supported by Putin, and they are only active within their own borders.

Not that I expect you to listen. You just made it clear that you're making excuses for Putin to be defending himself and Russia. That's fascist appeasement, and you can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wait if that's why Ian Austin is a dog nonce then who was the one that was found to have accessed porn that was legal at the time but illegal by the time it came out (narrowing it down to bestiality or drawn images of children)?