Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I figure between the ADHD, Fountain Pens and a few CC threads we probably have enough people for a dedicated journalling/writing + drawing things down in a journal thread, so here we goooo...

Why Journal?

• It's fun and you can be as creative as you like
  • You remember more when you physically write things down Source (one of many)
  • If you're someone who has any mental health concerns or a diagnosed condition, journalling can help you reflect, retain information, and gain self-confidence
  • Track anything you like, however you like
  • It can help you improve your communication skills
  • You can mess with people by filling a book with weird stuff and leaving it where the goth kids hang out

At the end of the day, though, you don't need any justification or reason for doing it. Sometimes people do things just because, alright?

What would I need?

A book to write in and a pen, possibly a highlighter too if that's your jam.

If you're not sure this is something you'll enjoy over the long term, just use an exercise book you already have, gotten from a friend, neighbour, etc.

Is there a difference between a diary, planner and bullet journal?

Honestly, I use these somewhat interchangeably, but here's a rough idea:

Diary - usually to keep a daily/weekly log of what you did. Can come with or without days/dates written in
Planner - for planning ahead, usually come with the days/dates already printed in
Bullet Journal - usually a journal that's a hybrid of the two to help you log your day and plan for the future

Why's it called a bullet journal?

Technically, bullet journalling isn't the book itself, it's a system of journalling/notetaking outlined in the 2013 book The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll, who has ADHD and needed a method to "track the past, order the present, and design the future". While you can use the book to get started, it's not necessary (there's a few videos on how to get started with the system). Bullet Journalling has largely developed a life of its own complete with youtube videos, stores selling official and unofficial bullet journals, instagram hashtags, and widespread adoption by online communities such as 'studytube' (yes this is a thing, do not look it up unless you are okay with your YouTube recommendations becoming a pastel nightmare world with titles such as 'huge back to school stationery haul').

Quick rundown of the syntax:

. = task
x = task completed
> = task migrated
< = task scheduled
- = notes
o = events

Do I need a bunch of expensive stationery?

Absolutely not! I mean, I have to actively resist not spending a fortune on the associated nonsense, but I am also someone who never really grew out of their 'nice stationery' phase as a child. At the end of the day - don't feel pressured into buying stuff you're not sure you'll use or if it'll work for you.

Picking a journal

If you'd like to buy a journal, there's really only four things you need to work out - size, page thickness, whether it's blank, has lines, a grid, or dot-grid, and whether or not you want dates, years, etc printed on it already.

Size - you can get journals in many standard paper sizes, the most common ones being A5 and A4, that and the number of pages is something you should gauge based upon how you plan to use it
Page thickness - thicker paper means less bleed through if you're using markers, highlighters, paint, etc, but also means the books are heavier and/or you'll churn through the books quickly if you discover writing an entire stream of consciousness is your new hobby
Blank/lined/grid/dot-grid - blank if you're an artist or can write in a straight line with no worries, lined if you're only planning on writing, grid and dot-grid for those of us who want the flexibility to draw but also can't write in a straight line.

Some other factors you may want to consider:
Spine - traditional bindings vs ring bindings
Pen holders - might be good to consider getting a book with a pen holder inbuilt if you're worried about losing your pen(s)
Paper colour - yes you can get them with black pages and just write in a gel or paint maker

Some journal brands (may expand on this later, anyone with these - share your thoughts):
  • Leuchtturm 1917 (haven't used, hear it's good for fountain pens, they have recently released a range of these with thicker paper)
    • ephphatha: I bought a few A6/pocket notepads in 80g/m weight, they're ok for fountain pen use. Writing is visible through the paper which makes it a bit average for double-sided writing but there's no noticeable feathering or bleed through to other pages with the inks I've been using. The paper seems to take a few seconds to dry so not great for lefties, for right-handed writing it's fine as long as you give it a bit instead of closing wet pages together.
  • Rhodia (haven't used)
    • ephphatha: Really nice paper, same weight as the leuchtturm notepads and yet with the same pen/ink the ink dries quickly and isn't visible through the page.
  • Moleskine (haven't used)
    • ephphatha: Garbage paper for wet inks/fountain pens. Feathers and bleeds through constantly. Fine with gel inks/ballpoints/pencils though and pretty easy to find.
  • Archer & Olive - I have one of these, I really like it coz it lays flat when I write it and I am extremely left handed, the paper is super thick and satisfying, and I swear this isn't me shilling them for a kickback, I just really like it.
  • Peter Pauper Press - I've heard they're affordable and good, don't have one myself
  • Clairefontaine
    • ephphatha: Similar quality to Rhodia. Slightly heavier paper makes them take ink even better, dries pretty much immediately.
  • Field Notes - get a lot of love from the fountain pen thread
  • Midori

Other Stationery

While I would like to discourage people from buying a bunch of stuff they don't need or may regret later, I admit a part of the fun is the flimsy justification for buying/using cute stationery. Here's a few things I've used myself or have seen others use that may help the habit stick and/or scratch your stationery itch:

• Washi tape - decorative japanese masking tape made of hemp, comes in different patterns/designs
  • Coloured pens/pencils
  • Stencils - for the artistically challenged like me, so you don't have to use a ruler / for repetitive stuff
  • Rubber stamps
  • Brush markers - for hand lettering and art, you can get dual-tipped ones with a brush end and a regular marker end
  • Highlighters - studytube fricken loves the Mildliner range
  • Stickers! 'nuff said :getin:
  • ... and many more things

I like the idea, but what should I journal?

Up to you, but here's some ideas if don't know where to start:
  • To do lists
  • Books you've read / movies you've seen / albums you've listened to
  • What you did today
  • Dreams
  • Positive affirmations / gratitude / mindfulness stuff
  • Art
  • Recipes
  • Record maintenance you've done on your house/car/boat
  • Project or study notes
  • ... etc

Do I need nice handwriting?

Nah, so long as it's legible enough for you to read back (assuming you'd like to read it back at some future point, that is!)

How do I improve my handwriting?

It's probably to do with how you hold the pen and/or the amount of pressure you're using. The only way to get better is to practice, and I'd possibly suggest using a fountain pen or a brush pen with a stiff tip to retrain yourself out of Hulk-smashing the tip of the pen into the paper.

I've been trying to do handlettering tutorials, for which I'd recommend trying something like the Pentel Sign Brush Pen to get used to the technique. I'm left handed and have done calligraphy in the past, but I still found I've frayed some of my nice Tombow brush markers because I don't have the technique quite right yet, alas.

Okay smartypants, what's yours look like?

Mine is very much an ode to imperfection, but here you go...

Inside cover + what I actually use most days:

Wrote the bullet journal symbols onto a post-it and taped it inside the page with some washi tape so I could have a fold out reference.

The feelings wheel sticker is from RedBubble (not super impressed with the quality, but oh well), while the bird sticker is of a Carnaby's Black Cockatoo, which are an endangered species only found in Western Australia. Actually, going to shamelessly plug the conservation centre I got it from here - Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre. Buy a sticker, help save these hilarious can openers with wings - the conservation centre ships internationally!

January cover page/habit tracker. I find habit trackers are a horrible idea for me personally, but apparently they work for some people...

How it started:

How it's going:

... The moral of this story is different things work for different people and the important thing is to have fun and do what makes you happy.

Related Threads:
Fountain Pens:I strongly support any and all financially crippling fountain pen purch
Ask me about childhood and adult ADD
Adult ADHD Thread: You're not lazy, stupid, or crazy.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Placeholder for misc stationery stuff! :getin:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

Here's my current monster with a salt shaker for scale.

My previous ones didn't get so big because they were way fewer pages, haha. I've taped in instant photos, laminated things I've printed out, I've made little tip-in envelopes and pockets for stuff friends have sent me. I'm pretty impressed with how the book itself has held up, it's a Nanami Crossfield and the binding is all sewn.

Nice! I added some pics to the OP of how I started and it's going now I've now got far less time for fun layouts since the Christmas holidays, but I'm still journalling and enjoying it. :shobon:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Siivola posted:

Since then I also bought a hardcover A5 Leuchtturm for school notes (I feel bougie as poo poo but gently caress that get nice things in your life), and while it feels fancier than the softcover, it's actually too thick to comfortably write on both sides of the page.

I feel like I'm about to fall into a pencil rabbit hole. I'm already window shopping for Blackwings and fancy imports from Japan.

Oh, it doesn't lay flat? I've defs seen people use bullclips and so on to hold the pages in place, but it could be when you next need a new notebook you may want to consider whether or not it lays flat(ter) is an important characteristic.

WRT: covetting pencils or whatever: The thing I tell my friends who are not stationery people (heh) is that I only count it as a waste of money if I don't use it and/or it lands up as a part of my 'too nice to use for anything but special occasions' shrine. I try not to have too much 'special occasion' stuff, coz that's as much of a waste as frivolously using brush ink pens to, I dunno, write shopping lists, but I still occasionally think 'no, I cannot use that! It is for a special occasion!'. I'm working on it :shobon:

There's also how, as far as vices/obsessions go, stationery can be a lot more affordable than the myriad other things people pour their money into, and if you're pretty sure you're done enjoying a new pen or whatever, you can give them away to anyone in your life who thinks it may be fun, friends children, leave it in a friends house and they'll forever wonder where they got it, etc.

Xand_Man posted:

Any suggestions as a lefty to keep your hand from becoming an inky/graphite-smudged mess?

:hfive: fellow leftie! It really depends on the type of paper, the type of pen (or pencil), and what you're doing with it. That... Isn't very helpful, but here's a few thoughts:

Pencils - I find the grade of pencil will determine how much graphite I accrue on my hand while drawing (8B, smear it all over the page, HB, not so much), and smoother paper means more transference while textured paper means less, but honestly... Righties probably get that too (when it comes to drawing, that is). If I'm super committed to drawing/writing in pencil, I use a piece of baking paper under my writing hand (and, uh, maybe try not to press down too much). I've also heard about artist bridges but my art is more kindergarten than Kahlo, so I've never felt the need.

Pens - if you're wanting to do fancy calligraphy, I suggest trying either a Pentel sign brush pen (they're cheap, are widely available, and come in a heap of colours), or a cheap and cheerful fountain pen. The thing about writing with fountain pens or doing calligraphy is that you need to sort of hold the pen at a semi-consistent angle and let your shoulder do most of the work, and while that may come more naturally to right-handers because they pull the pen left to right, for lefties it's harder because they push the pen left to right. It means it's harder to learn and you're more likely to break your pens while learning, so do yourself a favour and buy something cheap and cheerful that you won't be too heartbroken about mangling first, then get the nice pen (... or not, it's up to you!).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks to the mod who fixed the tag! I got excited and wanted to :justpost: and landed up with a Shitpost tag, heh.

Also, I keep trying not to sink too much money into this obsession, but after buying a new journal coz I heard the manufacturer wasn't going to sell to overseas suppliers anymore, the company I got mine from did a "mystery bundle" of their journals almost as soon as I received mine and... :retrogames:

If I were 25 years younger I would 100% be the target demographic of unboxing videos, and if stationery companies did subscription mystery boxes of misc stationery here in Australia, I'd probably go broke :v:

(And any Aussies who are suckers for mystery notebook loot boxes like me - the place I got mine from has one left).

... I've just remembered I havent used my new fountain pen yet! Coz I wanted to wash it out and dry it first. I know what I'm going to do today!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Five pages from filling a sketch journal and now I am so much in doubt what to do next.
* I can go for a Rhodia webnotebook that is very fountain pen friendly but has relatively thin pages so no washes or watercolor, maybe some markers.
* Moleskine sketchbook (160gsm paper) or a watercolor sketchbook (200gsm) will take washes well, not sure about fountainpen
* Nebula notebook, very nice for fountainpen, not at all for any wet medium
* another Hahnemuhle Nostalgie book, with 190gsm pages, takes all mediums I want to use well but this is the book I am finishing and I like change
* A Letterpress Letterwish journal with 130gsm paper and this last has my preference somewhat

Of course ya'll can not look in my art supply closet but the above is only a small peek into the problem I have with buying notebooks.
Oh no, we all really are that dril tweet, aren't we?

:rolleyes: "Stop buying stationery"
:colbert: "No!"
Meanwhile, that mystery box I ordered never arrived. It got to the airport of my state and never left the depot (or it got stolen). I'd finally caved and bought some Mildliners, too... :negative:

Oh well, I've still got plenty of pages in my current journal. I'm taking a bit of time off after Easter, so I'll have more time to regroup, and work on all the misc goals that I've written down in my journal but have been dilly-dallying on (like the books I started but haven't yet finished, heh). I recently got some black cockatoo washi tape, which is super nice, will try to make a spread that isn't completely covered in my usual journal drivel purely to show it off, but no promises...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Chaosqueen posted:

This weekend I created my May theme. I have been looking forward for months to make a Harry Potter theme (Rowling sucks, but I still like the stories), last week finally the stickers arrived.
I never before made a theme with so many drawings. I hope you like it.

Gosh these are all so lovely, well done. Dunno bout the rest of you, but the good thing about this wretched hobby is it does give me an excuse to at least try drawing, even though I turbo-failed art in school.

And my mystery box arrived! Hurray. The A5 book isn't to my taste, but I had a feeling that would happen and I know just the person to give it to, while the others I'm going to use for tabletop RPG stuff.

I'm about 30 pages from the end of my current journal, so I'm slowly going through setting up the new one - I drew a calendar for the year in my first and was surprised how useful it was, so I'm going to do that again...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

When did the Leuchterm 120g came out? I ran into it last month in Switzerland, not having seen it locally before and now I see it all over the place even in my local postoffice / stationary store.
Also, does anyone has experience with the Midori MD books for journaling? I have a few pages left in the letterwish journal and am very much in doubt if I should got for the Midori MD or the Leuchterm 120.

From what I've seen, it's only a recent thing (as in, within the last... 6-12ish months or so?). This may depend on where you are, I remember hearing about them early last year, yet I've only seen them stocked at bricks and mortar stores here in Australia in the last 6 months.

Chaosqueen posted:

Hi,

I haven't shown you my pages for nearly half a year. Here is my december. Within the next weeks I'm going to show you a few of the other months.

A bit late, but these are adorable! :swoon:

Mercury Hat posted:

Good luck on the drawing practice. If you keep a diary-style journal you can try including a little doodle about your day. It doesn't have to be every day or anything complex. Also if you're just looking to practice or warm up, try using pen instead of a pencil you can erase, it helps me commit to my idea and also move on if it's not looking the way I want. This is advice coming from someone who's been drawing forever though. It's harder to pick up creative hobbies as an adult, you have to push through that self-conscious feeling.

I prematurely ended the diary I started in May because I wasn't as in love with the smaller size as I'd thought I'd be, my handwriting felt too cramped. So I've gone from a B6 back up to an A5 for my new one and I'm happier. Mostly the kinds of things I like to keep in my diary (cards I've received) stuck out the sides of a B6.

Congrats on the new journal! It's good to try something different then went back when it didn't work for you.

I kinda want to go from A5 to B5 to give my sinister goblin writing hand (I'm a lefty) more space to smudge. I find writing can be a bit awkward when I'm at the very beginning/very end of a journal and I'm trying to scribble stuff down while out and about (most of my last journal was filled in when I wasn't home). However, the sizing means that's probably not super practical if I want to bring my journal with me places, especially because I adore the 160gsm paper of my Archer and Olive journals, and those things are heavy.

Speaking of new journals... I started a new journal recently, I could share the stuff I've drawn in it soon. Though I'm no accomplished artist like many here, it's still fun to do! :shobon:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Do you use fountain pens? If so, what kind of ink do you use?

I'm trying to find an alternative to Noodler's bernanke blue.

I'm gonna see if I can start doodling this year to improve my artistry. Hopefully it goes somewhere...

I have one fountain pen, it's a Platinum Preppy Blue Black one, and... I got it coz it wasn't particularly expensive, but the nib is thicker than I expected (which isn't a bad thing given my various lefty writing peculiarities), but the ink colour isn't my fave and on my journal the blue-grey doesn't look great and that + how thick the nib is means I can't fit in as many words and don't like how it looks so much. I personally prefer a more Royal Blue colour, my usual journalling pen is a bright blue rollerball needlepoint (I like the needlepoint pens coz they discourage me from pressing too hard on the paper/at too harsh an angle).

Also, if anyone here's a lefty and wanting to try brush lettering/hand lettering but are daunted by fountain pens - I cannot recommend Pentel Sign Pens enough. They are far cheaper and have a flexible tip, which makes them way more forgiving than brush markers. It means you won't destroy them as quickly if you've got any funny writing quirks, and you don't feel too bereft if you mush the tip over time since it won't happen within 15 minutes of using it.

They also have an excellent colour range and you can buy singles, which is important if you're a chaos goblin like me who likes colour and occasionally loses/destroys individual pens. I have the Brush Ups set in primary colours, and while I kinda covet the pastels set, I didn't think I'd use them enough*, so I bought the blue from the pastel set by itself coz it better matches my preferences to the blue in my existing set.

* I may still get the pastels. I tell myself this is a cheaper hobby than drugs or alcohol. :classiclol:

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 4, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Just don't get into fountain pens, that is equally financially crippling.

Hahah. Ahahaha. Haaaah.

Guess who impulse-bought a Lamy Safari while on holiday today... :v:

While testing the nibs on my journal at the store, one of the sales staff asked "Is that an Archer & Olive journal?"

Why yes, yes it is, for this is one of my obsessions.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Lamy Safari, the gateway drug to pen collecting. Everything considered, it is not even that stellar a pen but it is good in getting people hooked.

I need those notebooks in my life, how does the paper handle fountain pen ink?

edit: nvm, they don't sell in the EU

Haha I'm on holiday right now, so I think working out where to upload my pictures of the tests I did in the back of my journal then sharing them is a bit beyond me right now since I'm on mobile.

Shame they don't sell in the EU, I thought you'd get a few stockists there at least - the stationer I got mine through is no longer restocking them coz they won't supply to Australian stockists, but maybe that's a worldwide thing?

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2023

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Pixelante posted:

This seems like it belongs here.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe8xhyNG/

Man, I want one...

Hey goons! It's been a while. I finished off my last journal and started a new one a few months ago. The new one is a blackout journal. As in, all-black pages.

It's been fun, but as I suspected I prefer regular white paper - I have more pens that work on white paper and the ink in the gellyroll pens I use for the black paper take ages to dry, which is a bit of an issue when you're left-handed. That and the 1.0 pens and thickness of the ink doesn't work great with my handwriting.

Although my blackout journal isn't even a third full, I'm planning on moving onto the new journal in the new year. I figure it's more important to go back to something I will actually enjoy using more, and I can still use the blackout journal for doodles, notes, stickers, jotting down recipes and spicy opinions like Final Fantasy IX being the best FF game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Goddamn if I spent that on a journal I would simply never use it. I already have a bit of 'I will ruin it' anxiety when starting a *normal* notebook.

Good grief yeah while I frequently tell myself I unthinkingly spend comparable amounts of money on eating out without thinking twice, so why beat myself up over some pens or a journal, that kind of money is probably the point where my brain spiders would start menacing me.

DurianGray posted:

This is correct.

On topic, I have a few blackout journals myself now and while I have a pretty big stock of gel pens that work with them, I've been having trouble thinking of what to use them for (there is a tiny one I've been keeping random notes in, but I have I think two blackout A5s and a B5 as well. The black paper just looks cool!). Although I have a pretty sizeable amount of regular white paper notebooks too, so that might be more of a me problem than one with the paper color at this point.

I actually have some FFIX-themed washi tape - my partner gave it to me for Christmas one year. It's fricken adorable.