Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

prom candy posted:

thank god so many people feel this way or else i wouldn't be able to make six figures working like 3-5 hours a day

Just to be clear: I don’t believe this is “bad” work at all. I am genuinely happy to hear that it is working for you. I feel like we’re all trying to get by and I was lucky to be able to do something else that makes me happier.

By popular demand posted:

Goddamn I'd gladly shovel poo poo instead of attending meetings, just not in my nature.

Yea I think it was this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MrQwerty posted:

yeah, I work night shift manufacturing for a reason

Meth?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
P sure meetings literally only exist because middle management likes to pretend they're useful

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I grew up in small town in New England, a little ticky tacky tourist beach spot. I grew up on kind of a country road with a few neighbors. My next door neighbor was the same age, so when we started driving we’d just take turns driving to school.

He was on the soccer team so a lot of times I’d give this other kid, we’ll call him Sam, on the team a ride home to a different part of town. I can’t say I ever got to know him super well, but it was a small town so everyone in school kinda knew everyone well enough. My memory is that sam was a really sweet kid, maybe a bit shy but always really nice to everyone, I think he did some volunteer stuff on the weekends, had good grades, didn’t party, just a good all around kid.

Sam had a younger brother who I think was in 2nd grade when we were in high school. His mom had remarried and had another kid, but he never talked about his half brother and step dad as anything but his brother and his dad. To me, with my parents divorced and my older brother taking a lot of his frustration of the trauma of that out on me, they seemed like this perfect little family, and by all accounts they really were, at least at the moment in time.

I didn’t know him well enough to keep in touch so the rest of this is what I pieced together from friends and what was in the news.

So Sam was a smart kid, gets a full scholarship for engineering (I think) at the state college. It’s up north so he’s away from his family for the first time, but at least initially he does really well. He gets through freshmen year, goes back for sophomore year and that’s when it sounds like things started to change. I think he got into smoking a lot of weed, which don’t get me wrong, weed is awesome, but from what I’ve read it’s not so good for someone who’s predisposed to having a psychotic episode, though of course there is no way he could have known that.

So he continued along for awhile, he kept going to classes and keeping his grades up, but his roommates later said that his personality changes a lot. He became a lot more shut down, seemed to alternate between depressed and angry but they could never really tell about what.

His parents must have know something was up because when he said he was coming home, they wanted to know when and where so they could be there. They had told another family member that they were worried about him coming home when only his brother was home.

Sam came home earlier in the day than he had told his parents. They were trying to call him to figure out what time to pick him up, but he didn’t pick up.

Sam’s brothers who’s now probably in 4th grade comes home on the bus. It’s a small town so the bus pulls into all the neighborhoods and drops kids off, and if both your parents worked it wasn’t unusual to be at home on your own for awhile at that age.

Sam waits for his brother to open the door, who I’m sure see him but has no reason for concern, he knows his brother is coming home and is probably excited about it.

Sam uses a large knife from the kitchen to stab his little brother to death. He waits for his mom, who’s worried because she can’t get ahold of him, to come home and stabs her to death. He waits for his step dad to get home and stabs him to death.

After, he tries he set the house on fire, either to hide the evidence or out of pure rage, as far as I know he’s never really said.

The cops found him not that long after, and he’s of course in prison for the rest of his life. It’s weird, I didn’t know him well enough to consider him a good friend or anything, but the whole thing was so hosed up it pops into my head a lot. I think just as disturbing as what he did is that he likely got the medication he needed to be on in prison, and now has to live with the horror of what I’m sure feels like a totally different person did, but knowing that to your family they watched you do it.

So yeah, I’d say that qualifies as loving your life up.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 31, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus loving christ.

I think that might be it for me and this thread. Holy gently caress.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jesus loving christ.

I think that might be it for me and this thread. Holy gently caress.

sorry man, didn't mean to gently caress up you day lol. Its a hosed up story, I know. If it makes you feel any better, the little good it did do was shocking the community into taking mental health a little more seriously, and from what I've heard the school system there started trying to better identify students with potential issues and get their families help if needed. That kind of thing might be more commonplace elsewhere in the country, but new england is the home of "take your feelings and shove them wayyyy way down, and pour alchohol on it if it starts to bubble up". I left some details out of that story, in part because they were more or less rumors and in part to try and not have some internet slueth digging it all up, but suffice to say that sometimes people who's home lives seem perfect might not always be, and I hope as a society we can do a better job of finding people that need help and getting them that help.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biohazard posted:

sorry man, didn't mean to gently caress up you day lol. Its a hosed up story, I know. If it makes you feel any better, the little good it did do was shocking the community into taking mental health a little more seriously, and from what I've heard the school system there started trying to better identify students with potential issues and get their families help if needed. That kind of thing might be more commonplace elsewhere in the country, but new england is the home of "take your feelings and shove them wayyyy way down, and pour alchohol on it if it starts to bubble up". I left some details out of that story, in part because they were more or less rumors and in part to try and not have some internet slueth digging it all up, but suffice to say that sometimes people who's home lives seem perfect might not always be, and I hope as a society we can do a better job of finding people that need help and getting them that help.

I live in New Brunswick, just next door, so that New England mentality is kind of shared over here.

And don't apologize; you retelling a story in a thread specially asking for those stories isn't on you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fuckin' family annihilators, yannow? drat.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I live in New Brunswick, just next door, so that New England mentality is kind of shared over here.

And don't apologize; you retelling a story in a thread specially asking for those stories isn't on you.

Canada or Jersey?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biohazard posted:

Canada or Jersey?

Canada.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Nice, I wanna do an east coast trip this summer and might drive up to Kanukistan. Never been to labrador coast, i hear its the tits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biohazard posted:

Nice, I wanna do an east coast trip this summer and might drive up to Kanukistan. Never been to labrador coast, i hear its the tits.

I also haven't been there. NS, PEI, and of course a ton of NB, sure, but I've never been to NL.

I hear it's amazing as well, so maybe I'm the gently caress up after all :shrug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have been to Noveaux Brunswick. It was very spooky, like Stephen King but French Acadian.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Mods please trace this ip and see if it is permabanned user Lowtax.

To the best of my knowledge he was never a coder, he hired other people to do that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My brother lives on the streets. It's terrible. I am moving back to the area in a month so I am going to try and find him and hopefully get him help, although I doubt it will do anything.

I've also known a huge number of presumably doomed drug addicts, and truly doomed (ie dead usually by overdose) drug addicts. A friend of mine got his house raided when we were both in university, very large amounts of drugs were found and he killed himself the day before his first court date.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this girl i knew in grad school had an aunt who had this long time family friend who was some kind of drunk or gently caress up and he would do odd jobs for her all the time, like paint the chicken coop type work.

so one day she catches him stealing $20 from her purse and he stabbed her over 50 times with a multi-tool and she died. and i learned all of this through some blog post about why she (grad student) supports the death penalty.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Woof.

I knew a kid in high-school, we were more acquaintances than real friends but I talked to him in the hall and hung out a couple times after school. He showed me his pill collection that he kept in a Altoids tin so he could take them in art class and he had a Hawaiian Punch bottle that he told me was full of Robotussin. He was also really into the 4chan anon thing. No idea about what his home life was but it couldn't have been good.

It's no surprise that he's dead now. He was a funny guy and people still post on his Facebook page on his birthday. Not really sure if it was an OD or suicide but...rip.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

There was this guy in my hometown who was kind of a dick and a creep in my opinion, but was popular to a certain group. That's fine. I didn't interact with him a ton except sometimes I'd run into him when I was back home and hanging out with my friend/step brother (who's gone off the deep end with conspiracy theory poo poo). Guy was a chef though so he could always find work. Ran into him when my step brother and I helped my youngest brother move to Seattle. He was... pretty repugnant. Somehow at some point we were on the bus and the topic of Zip Cars came up and he starts going on about how he's banned from using their service because he was railing coke, driving drunk, and picking up/getting serviced by sex workers in them. Found out my step brother offered him a ride back to our hometown but didn't tell me because he knew I wasn't a big fan but wanted me to hang out with him because he changed so much.

I don't keep up contact with him and haven't really been back home for very long for a while. Right before I quit Facebook I noticed him showing up in my feed spouting insane Trump nonsense. I guess he had worked at one of Trump's resorts and Our Favorite President treated him well. Probably helped they had similar personalities. I mention him offhand to my friend who's moved back to our hometown and how I kind of always thought he was an rear end in a top hat and uh...turns out he died of a drug overdose 2 years ago. It feels weird. I mean, I thought he was a real rear end in a top hat but I can't say I hated him or wished he was dead.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

P sure meetings literally only exist because middle management likes to pretend they're useful

That's it mostly. But it gives me a lot of time to post. I have a solid 7.5 hours of meetings today and I'm not presenting in any of them. They are paying me to listen to folks bloviate. Lol.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Biohazard posted:

, but new england is the home of "take your feelings and shove them wayyyy way down, and pour alchohol on it if it starts to bubble up".

Honestly I don't think this is unique to New England, the whole world seems to work that way.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Gynovore posted:

Honestly I don't think this is unique to New England, the whole world seems to work that way.

It may not be unique to new england, but there are certainly other areas within the US that are much better in 2022 about talking about metal health as a normal and open subject.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biohazard posted:

It may not be unique to new england, but there are certainly other areas within the US that are much better in 2022 about talking about metal health as a normal and open subject.

:black101:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it doesn't really count as loving his own life I suppose, but I used to work with a guy who ended up getting eaten by a shark.

he was from the UK but it happened on reunion island when he was on holiday with his wife. they didn't find all of him, just his left arm and wedding ring inside a tiger shark. grim.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it doesn't really count as loving his own life I suppose, but I used to work with a guy who ended up getting eaten by a shark.

he was from the UK but it happened on reunion island when he was on holiday with his wife. they didn't find all of him, just his left arm and wedding ring inside a tiger shark. grim.

Save this for the "Have You Ever Met Someone Really Committed to Faking Their Own Death Thread?" please.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Save this for the "Have You Ever Met Someone Really Committed to Faking Their Own Death Thread?" please.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Biohazard posted:

Where are you talking about? The west coast?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Years ago my brother had a pretty nice girlfriend whose only fault seemed to be that she was dating him. She paid for their apartment, her dad got him a job with a pension, all my brother had to do was not cheat.

So of course he did. With a girl who lived in their apartment complex.

After they broke up, he quit that job because it was too "weird" working there. Since then he's drifted in and out of basic security, warehouse work, and working overnights in shady areas. Last I heard he was trying to get a paternity test done with his most recent ex, who told him straight out the baby wasn't his because they hadn't been sleeping together then, but lets him babysit that baby and her older toddler because he will do it for free.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
One of my coworkers announced they are getting married.

that's a pretty big fuckup

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

One of my coworkers announced they are getting married.

that's a pretty big fuckup

getting married sucks but being married owns

dealing with all the businesses you need for a standard wedding is like covering yourself in fish guts and jumping into a shark tank, but afterwards you get another special day every year to celebrate and a discount on car insurance

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the upperclassmen in my high school was pretty straight laced and bright as gently caress. He was pretty good looking, affable, confident. Pretty sure he had his life set.
11th grade he joined Science Bowl or someshit and the kids there end up being 1/3 stoner-pillhead types. So he starts doing recreational drug stuff, loosens up, etc.

He marries his girlfriend right after graduation. She goes off to college while he does community College locally. Gets into more drugs and cheats on his wife, gets thrown out of his house because he assaults his mother when she comes out as gay. His friend from HS offers him a job and after a month he's fired because they caught him with his hands in the register. Friendship over.

One of my classmates was sourcing stuff in downtown one afternoon a while back. She saw him strung out busking for change with a beat up guitar.

I kinda wonder what would have happened if he hadn't done the "good" thing and joined that academic club.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sound of it he'd almost certainly find some other way to gently caress up his life.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sound of it he'd almost certainly find some other way to gently caress up his life.

yeah, probably wow

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

FilthyImp posted:

I kinda wonder what would have happened if he hadn't done the "good" thing and joined that academic club.

This kind of thinking can be a trap and I feel like we're doing it quite a bit in here, myself included. We'd like to think it's as simple as one inciting incident but I'm sure you know that there was way more to it than boy meets drug and whoopsy-doo life is now poop! Just something to keep in mind, is all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had a friend who I lost touch with ended up marrying a guy from our high school after graduation. It was one of those "Oh, I didn't even know they knew each other- that's great!" things and they seemed ridiculously happy, going by their social medias. A couple happy looking kids, family vacation photos, ~*~*Date Night!*~*~, etc. Basic stuff, but they seemed like they were in love and were really happy.

One morning one of my friends contacted me and asked if I knew [guy] was dating a girl we also went to high school with who was somewhat notorious at our school for not treating her bipolarism. I checked out his Facebook and his profile picture was him with this entirely new person, and a couple weeks later there were the same types of photos with him and his kids and this new girlfriend.

It was really sad and bizarre. If I had Facebook still I'd be interested in checking to see if they're still together.

Somehow I doubt it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

blatman posted:

getting married sucks but being married owns

dealing with all the businesses you need for a standard wedding is like covering yourself in fish guts and jumping into a shark tank, but afterwards you get another special day every year to celebrate and a discount on car insurance

We were like two months into actual wedding planning and my wife and I were already done with it and started talking about eloping before we had a deposit down and just throwing a big party after. We didn't elope in the end, but we agree that if we had to do it again we would have, but we fell into this trap thinking our families had any grounds to judge us for not doing it "right." We ended up with a cool story about the wedding because it hailed that day, during the time we were supposed to have an outdoor wedding. All the planning we did for the day involved it being outside, so we had to wing it at the reception venue. Everything involved in getting us there wasn't worth it, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lazyfire posted:

We were like two months into actual wedding planning and my wife and I were already done with it and started talking about eloping before we had a deposit down and just throwing a big party after. We didn't elope in the end, but we agree that if we had to do it again we would have, but we fell into this trap thinking our families had any grounds to judge us for not doing it "right." We ended up with a cool story about the wedding because it hailed that day, during the time we were supposed to have an outdoor wedding. All the planning we did for the day involved it being outside, so we had to wing it at the reception venue. Everything involved in getting us there wasn't worth it, though.

My brother is a wedding videographer, and he very specifically decided to elope instead of having a wedding. He was absolutely not going to deal with all that bullshit. He did get some nice video of the ceremony/vacation that he had, and played that during the reception for family/friends (which was held several months later). To this day he and his wife both agree that they made the right call.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We had a COVID wedding between waves and it was awesome. We put all the money we'd planned for the venue into food, booze, and a big fire pit and everyone (all 30 of them) was full and drunk on our front lawn overlooking the water.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Everyone should save money that way, simply hold events on your acre of waterfront property

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Professor Shark posted:

We had a COVID wedding between waves and it was awesome. We put all the money we'd planned for the venue into food, booze, and a big fire pit and everyone (all 30 of them) was full and drunk on our front lawn overlooking the water.

I did this except in our apartment and it was awesome. Spent half the budget on booze lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ya i wanna go get drunk on prof sharks lawn too