Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Final Fantasy 1 Mafia

I was part of a three person cult, (and not the recruiter) the two other cult members died day one, I confessed to not having a town alignment day two and managed to play it off long enough to get the win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

May as well ask here since you're all a bunch of nerds and live in my computer anyways, what are the must play PC exclusive games from the last decade or so? Just got a steam deck and I haven't had a gaming capable computer in like 20 years

There's a good puzzle game called "solitaire" that's on PC that's very popular. You have to arrange some blocks, called "cards" in a specific order in order to win - but, hang on now, you don't see all the cards at once. Some of the cards are hidden, and you reveal them as you (they're in a random order, I think this is called a rogue like).

It's challenging, but fair. And when you beat the game for the first time, well hold on to your seat because you are in for a surprise twist ending.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

If you all promise not to gamethrow on day 2 again I will host another mafia game sometime this season.

Where does pretending to be a ghost for no reason fall in terms of "game throwing"

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Would you be willing to be a point of contact outside the community for people who have issues within the community to come to? We will also have some in-community folks but it's not a bad thing to have a higher authority to be able to go to.

I think this is a good idea, and might help remove the reluctance to talk about something about somebody in the community or about the community itself.

Structurally, I think having communication largely visible by spectators and players no longer in the game helps a lot towards avoiding some negative outcomes. I don't know how explicit rules or requirements around that could be, but I do think that that being established as a community norm is helpful.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I think it's good that a lot of people are volunteering to be resources, does anybody have any ideas for establishing duties or responsibilities if somebody says something? I think that could be helpful to give some direction on escalation, etc.

But, also, honestly, the more I think about it I kind of feel like "Going to a moderator/admin outside of the mafia community" is where I keep coming back to as a good policy? I think that inherently prevents cliques/insular behaviors that could result in a variety of anti social outcomes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I guess I'm at:

-Let players know a handful of in community people they can check in with.

As a member of the community:

-If contacted, talk with the person and direct them to admins/moderators to contact?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal Insandenza posted:

S’up bromore. Every time I have to suffer through another game with hambeet I always wonder what happened to the good Australians

They move to [Australia's rival country...Canada???IDK].

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

i know that is a joke but i would prefer to avoid cutesy hehe we are not saying lynch stuff in all forms, yes

Grandicap posted:

I use execute.

I agree with Snooze and this is why I, like Grandicap, use execute.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

To toot my own horn, one may remember I was the first in the community to suggest we move away from "lynch." The nay-sayers said nay, but history has been on my side.

I've been using "execute" and derivations (e.g. "EXLO") and while a bit clunky at times it's fine.

This is correct, Ecco pointed this out.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

The group of veteran players who have largely not played at all recently to come get a slam in on a currently active player is the cliques you old folks have been railing against. Come on.

I agree with this.

I think this is my perspective someone that's been playing for a while, and I think this could be useful context for people that joined more recently:

Many of the discord RPGs, especially the ones that caused the current conversation, recruited heavily from mafia posters and members of the mafia community - many of those posters kind of stopped playing mafia in favor of discord RPGs, but they're still recognizable to players from that era as mafia players, and speaking personally, I kinda feel like I let down the community because it happened as an offshoot of the mafia community, while I was playing mafia, if that makes sense? I think players who weren't around for that may, pretty understandably, see the games as completely independent of mafia.

I do think there's a lot of structural differences that make mafia less likely to have particularly bad outcomes - there's minimal roleplaying beyond gimmick posting, most of the surprises and twists would come from mechanics, and not story beats, most of the game takes place on the forums themselves, and most discords will have spectators reading communications.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

You have a legitimate point and you maybe broached it a little aggressively but it is not valid to loving take turns making GBS threads on you because they disagree with you. I can’t believe I have to say this right now.

I very strongly agree with Sandwolf here. I think we should focus on discussing if/what can and should be done to make the community safer and more comfortable for people, posts that are infighting/personal don't accomplish this goal.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

A major item here, and an important one, is that very often people don't think they're in the wrong or making somebody uncomfortable, or that they'll think that they're in the right and defending their standing or some other concept - but it doesn't matter if you don't think you're in the wrong, if somebody's uncomfortable and doesn't feel welcome, they don't feel comfortable and welcome.

I'm really disappointed that we can't discuss this.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Johnny Keats posted:

What is wrong with saying "vote out"? VOLO is more catchy than EXLO

I like this and I think I'll try to switch to it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I do think an important item that's relevant here and does give me some concern about a hardline stance on backing off, is that that the involved Riven/IMG team used language to shut down complaints by establishing that the complainers crossed a line, were out of line, gas lighters, abusers, etc. So I do have a concern there.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Shellception posted:

This sucks heavily, it's way too common and it's the reason these kinda things should get, if not fully public, at least as many independent eyes on as possible, so legitimate complains and grievances don't get the gaslight treatment. I'd like to think we're trying to move in that direction collectively from those past days!

I don't think Clo's post is going in the "people denouncing abuse should apologize if called out", tho, at all. I think she means poo poo like what went on here yesterday, which was a maf slapfight without the mafia part, and yeah, it looked aggro and rather bad for a bit, then people calmed down and apologized because the whole thing being argued wasn't really consequential. I think there are differences there, tbh.

Right, I think it's important to flag it though since we want a robust system/philosophy that can include handling something like that.

I do agree with this underlaying points for sure, and I think folks immediately getting aggressive and defensive, especially multiple people, was pretty bad.

So a thing that I've seen and that has happened to me that's more in line with the other day is a situation where somebody says something in a rude way, somebody responds emotionally, and the emotional person is considered the one that crossed the line because it's more visible, even if the initial comments were rude or over the line. I do kinda think sometimes that it can flip to "the wronged person didn't respond correctly so they're the wrong one", and I would definitely like to prevent that.

Opopanax posted:

Yeah that's always the difficulty with Mafia. There's being mean, and there's being mean, and being able to balance that good old jovial rudeness without actually being a dick can be tough.

I also do think this is relevant! People will have different tolerances for pressing/manipulating people and what they consider acceptable and game relevant, and I do think that's going to be challenging to figure out across the board.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

I think "Don't be a dick" does sum it up well, and it certainly has seemed like "be a dick" is what many of the legacy Mafia players thought Mafia was, and to that extent Mafia has been better since they have left, and I'm sad they are back.

Honestly, interpreting "don't be a dick" as "but if I can't be a dick, I can't report sex pests creeping, because that's a dick move!" is loving outrageous.

Right, so a major issue that happened recently is people felt that they couldn't talk openly about what happened because people called them dicks/abusers for raising the issue, and responded aggressively that they were crossing a line for discussing it with other players/raising the issue. This isn't a hypothetical situation, it's something that happened directly, right?

I mean, honestly, I feel like throughout this I've been concerned about addressing/preventing the issues that arose elsewhere from happening again, and this feels really dismissive, right? Like, I'm using specific examples and concerns, and it's called loving outrageous, and I don't think that's fair.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Cloacamazing! posted:

If you actually think my goal with that post was to build a giant ignore list of people who have not apologized in the correct way and to discourage the reporting of abuse, kindly go gently caress yourselves.

I definitely don't think this was your goal or intent. I do think that we are coming off of an event where accusations of abuse were weaponized to shut down valid complaints of abuse. People talked about feeling like they were the wrong one because they brought up topics and everybody else got mad at them and accused them of being disruptive/rude, etc.

Especially with large groups, it is easy to feel like an outsider when you don't like how something is going, and an in group can attack with claims of someone being a troublemaker, etc. It can be extremely convincing, even in cases of overtly abusive behaviors.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My name is CCKeane

My first mafia game was newbie mafia a while ago, I was immediately voted out day one as town.

I have a lot of good mafia memories, but I'm proud of Final Fantasy 1, where I was a scum aligned team of three, lost my two teammates day one, and pulled off a win by claiming I wasn't town but I was still a good guy day 2. I rode that to the end of the game.

As town, I like looking for inconsistencies and tripping people up. As mafia, I like trying to cover my tracks as well as possible.

My fun fact is that I play a lot of dodgeball and played in an international tournament once.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is when I learned that being right isn't enough, if you're an rear end in a top hat people will vote you out anyway

Yeah, I think the lesson of "Being right doesn't matter if you can't convince anybody else" is one everybody learns at some point.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

someone remind me what scumhunter was, i remember it being the first letter of every post but don't remember who was involved or what not

A poster, in their first game, wanted to breadcrumb thet they were town, so in the first letter of every post they spelled out "Scum hunter" and then was confused that this was not seen as a surefire guarantee that they were town.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

I ran a Highlander game where everyone was a survivor, some were told they were scum aligned and some were told they were town aligned, but they were all survivors

I rememeber reading this one! I liked it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I played a game where my vote was controlled by a puppet master and I couldn't mention that I was being controlled.

I got around it by accusing other people of being controlled until folks picked up on it. I enjoyed that little puzzle of figuring out how to get the message across when I couldn't directly state it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hey Santa I'm moving and forgot to mention, hope you are like me and wait until the last minute.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I got my secret Santa gift! Thank you Anarc, I am excited for the escape room game, very interested in the book (never heard of it before! Cain's Jawbone!)

In particular however, I truly appreciate the baby teeth from a stranger and the tears and blood of my enemies. It's what I wanted most of all.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The dethy is the purest form of mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

As someone who used to have that tool in my mafia toolbelt, I completely agree with you. It’s juvenile.

Looking back on my early mafia career, I hated some of the things I would try to win. Emotional outbursts, posting content knowing it would upset the other player so they would make a mistake, gamesmanship as to whether I was available irl or not, etc.

It’s like using an aimbot in a casual fps game. You might win, but you’re actual scum.

Pure, objective review of content is now my only goal when I play. I don’t always get there, but it’s the North Star. It took me years of growth to flush that other stuff out, and I’m sorry to anyone who may have been on the wrong side of it.

I'm catching up after several weeks but I do agree with this - I have had cases on people and then had them get really worked up and backed off, only for them to flip scum, and it feels really lovely and gives me pause before backing off other players in later games. I think most players have gotten worked up in a game before, and I think it's good to back off a bit since you don't know what's going on outside of the game, but I don't think it's good practice to fake it.

I do also think that because getting cased puts folks on the back foot, that some people conflate that discomfort with the challenger being out of line, when that's pretty much just the game. Like, yeah, it really sucks that you're town and accidentally wrote "our team" instead of "your team" and somebody is convinced that that is a smoking gun and you're 100% scum, they're gonna get you, they're gonna execute the scum, but that's just part of it. (This is a fake example if this actually happened to somebody I blame Opop.)

Also, the counter can be true as Voodoo mentioned - sometimes you can do something upsetting, and not really have a way around it without giving up the game. During the pandemic I was scum in a game, I got worked up, and then later in the thread said it was a hard time for me. Another player took this as townie, when I meant it entirely as an alignment neutral statement - but I didn't have a really good way to say "no that's not townie". It didn't feel good having it taken that way, when I wouldn't have used that to get heat off of me, it just happened.