Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

poty posted:

Yeah very harmless he just helped kill F1
Surely an indisputable global net positive. Bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

This song is kind of a jam, actually.
Feels a little lacking in oomph compared to the source material, IMO.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

First The Eagles, and now Dire Straits?

yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3RQE_ruy5Q&t=6s

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

the mclaren team built a turd
MerdeLaren

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Video Assisted Racism

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

Do you guys think McLaren will lock out the front row or just get pole
Well

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:rip:iardo

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Oh someone woke up and switched on the times column, good show

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Haas :eyepop:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

What kind of cheating has Ferrari been doing to its engine this year d'you think

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

lmao Hamilton behind Bottas

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

By almost 0.4 seconds, too

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hell of a year it would be if all Ferrari-using teams are competitive for the P1-P6 range.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

I look forward to some happy gunther swearing :unsmith:
"Yes boiss wee ah lukking laik rok stahz agin nau!" *happily smashes door*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Alexander looks happy :unsmith:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

More like poopooya bois

edit: I'm sorry that was uncalled for. I wish them all the best.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well done Sharl, going to be exciting tomorrow with Red Bull versus Ferrari I think

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Missed qualy how’d McLaren do :lando:
:itwaspoo:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Dictator. posted:

Ideal podium: 1 Max, 2 the Clerk, 3 KMag.

DNF for Poois Scam-a-ton Labustier
:sickos:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

speng31b posted:

It doesn't help that he looks like a puppet come to life in someone's workshop whose motivation was to be real race driver some day
I'll be referring to him as F1nocchio henceforth.

This does not strike me as being helpful in combatting the problem of the rules being unclear, but at least it should lead to more drama and I'm all for that.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

Serious post: Be careful with this in the wider F1 Internet because “finocchio” is a slur for a gay person.
I don't post about F1 anywhere else, but never mind then - maybe I've been living under a rock but I honestly wasn't aware of this.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Ah, quick return to form for Bottas there

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Nice driving from Albon there, good lad

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hooray Checo

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Bono, my grip is gone

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

And again, whew

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Williams overtaking McLaren, whoof

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Mokotow posted:

If HAM goes 1-stop than he could be in play but it sounds like the track is eating rubber tonight
Given he's already 26 seconds behind Leclerc and we're not even past the half-way mark yet, I kind of doubt he'll have the pace to compete even then.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Gaslit

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Red Bull blowing up their own engine to force a safety car
It's the new "get a new engine every other race and eat the grid penalty because with so much power to spare why not".

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Oh well

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

lol Hamilton "the other two drivers"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

speng31b posted:

Horner's spice girl wife is probably just waiting until the next plausible opportunity to smother him with a pillow and blame it on a heart attack tbf
Well there's worse things than being smothered to death by Geri Halliwell, probably.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

so the rbr had more tyre wear than the ferrari or that was max being hamiltonesque on his bitching?
Verstappen kind of hosed up his first stint getting himself a flat spot on the third attempt to overtake Leclerc, but he couldn't really keep up after changing tyres either. Leclerc got told over the radio that RB was having worse degradation and Verstappen also complained at some point about having no traction, so it seems reasonably plausible to me. The new RB car might also just be coming up short in race pace, though (at least when it comes to Verstappen vs. Leclerc, considering how both were driving away from Sainz while Perez was basically keeping pace with Sainz).

Verstappen was definitely channelling 2021-Hamilton-chasing-Red-Bull as the race went on and neither his driving nor RB's strategy was really paying dividends, though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Me playing Civ VI, deciding to make a harbor district in a lake 3 hexes big because why not and much later on accidentally setting the city to build a bunch of ships that will never go anywhere.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Poor Haas and KMag, the universe forcing things back to equilibrium after last week's freak performance

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

I hope this race is uneventful with anyone but Max* winning and everyone can leave this shithole and never return
It's telling that even Verstappen, who after all is known for being virtually unperturbable in such instances, doesn't have much good to say about this track or the racing conditions:

Max "Wallflower" Verstappen posted:

As drivers, we were together a long time and eventually we collectively did decide to drive, but I think that after the weekend we'll continue talking about the situation here. We also made an agreement with the team principals to do so.

(...)

Some parts of this track are very dangerous. That was already the case last year in december when we first raced here, but then there were a few close calls.

With Mick's crash, you can see how fast it is. There are places, like the one where Mick crashed, where you go into the wall with the pedal to the metal. That is highly painful and extremely dangerous.

Even the straights aren't entirely straight. It's littered with blind spots where visibility is limited. If it's just about high speeds and going pedal to the metal, then keep it dead straight. I don't really understand why the track is like this.

Meanwhile, from the same article...

Toto "Everyone Has a Target on Their Back" Wolff posted:

We all love Tel Aviv too where there's drones all over the place. For us western people it's not normal and unacceptable to have a rocket strike ten kilometers from the track. But here these things happen and they're used to it.

I like giving people the benefit of the doubt and that applies here as well. Is Saudi Arabia behaving like we want? No. But I want to give them the chance here to do better in future. By racing we can put the spotlights on this country. That could be more effective than not coming here."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait so he couldnt be good AND had a great car? Its 100% just the merc turbo engines?
I think the fact that Hamilton was consistently able to significantly outperform Bottas alone is proof enough that he was an excellent driver, but certainly he had a huge advantage in having a highly reliable, super-fast car for years on end. Whether he's finally lost it due to age and/or stress remains to be seen, I think; he was doing well enough compared to Russell at least last weekend. Former Ziggo commentator Olav Mol opined that Hamilton may have purposely botched his qualification yesterday because he's unhappy with the car and wants to force the team to take drastic action. Big lol if true, but I have my doubts.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Watching him in this latest DTS season, Russell mostly comes across as mostly humourless and full of himself. Just like last year after that crash with Bottas. Maybe save that for after you actually get a podium on merit, George.

And...

...from that same account, and case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UHbxrJEzo

edit: well it's blocked for me on SA but you can click on it and it'll play probably ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

If you think RB would ever refrain from issuing very prompt team orders if it looked like Verstappen had greater race pace than Perez (or possibly even if he didn't, but at this stage they'll probably just want to secure P1 and if possible P2), well, hope springs eternal I suppose.