Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

There are plenty of good Democrats, this is weird and I don't know why we're buying into the "GE Thread" idea that every Democrat is bad and only Bernie Sanders (or fuckin' 95 year old Mike Gravel or something) was an acceptable candidate.

Ideas for replacing Biden

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

There's 23 candidates already who meet the (relatively low) standard of "roughly as good or better than Joe Biden, and better than Kamala Harris or (:rolleyes:) Hillary Clinton."

Every one of these candidates has something you can say to disqualify them, sure, but so did Biden and he won. And a lot of his shortcomings haven't really been an issue in office because the President largely follows the lead of Congress and not the other way around.

e: Also if Biden can run at 80 why not Bernie at 81? "Super old left wing chief executive" worked out okay for California.

Would the parts of the party currently supporting Biden want to fall behind any of these people? I mean, that's the answer to why Bernie lost in 2016 and 2020 so I don't think in 2024 the moderates will suddenly stomach the idea of backing someone like Bernie or half the names on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Would the parts of the party currently supporting Biden want to fall behind any of these people? I mean, that's the answer to why Bernie lost in 2016 and 2020 so I don't think in 2024 the moderates will suddenly stomach the idea of backing someone like Bernie or half the names on that list.
That's not a bad point; I suppose it depends on how unpopular or obviously unhealthy Biden is in late 2023.

e: His approval ratings among Dems are usually in the 80-90% range so I think it would be pretty hard to knock him off as things stand now - either he would have to choose not to run, or conditions would have to change.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 21, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so now if you question whether or not your mom or some rando blogger is as much of the Democratic establishment as paid members of the Trump campaign/administration inciting crowds or filing lawsuits are members of the Republican establishment, it's just a "no true scotsman fallacy"? Give a me break.

How is it that when you have a handful of electors vote for someone else as a protest (something that pretty much happens every time), it's considered a massive act greater than the 60+ lawsuits, the insurrection, and the massive efforts to discredit the entire 2020 election? Why do we have to continue playing the dumb loving games where folks pretend that each side is the same when they are clearly not?

I'll gladly concede the Democratic impotent tantrum in hopes of subverting the electoral college was much more successful than the Republican one was, if that makes it any better

they got a whole ten people to go faithless, actually including a couple of republicans!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

That's not a bad point; I suppose it depends on how unpopular or obviously unhealthy Biden is in late 2023.

Yeah, I feel like that's the big unspoken part when people float out names. However you think we got here, manipulation or the will of the people, one of the big supposed lessons from Biden's campaign is that he's as left as the Democrats can go. Any more left and you can't win swing voters and you potentially even start losing blue dog Democrats. Or if you think manipulation is how we got here Biden is the furthest left that will be allowed. Either way If he's as left as they can go then the options are slim.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think that Biden was chosen by the primary voters more than anything because they thought he would beat Donald Trump, which was the #1 priority of every single Democratic voter in 2020. I don't think it was because everybody decided that they just love Biden so much more than any other option. I'm pretty sure Biden wouldn't have won out if his opponent hadn't been exactly who he was, and the threat of re-election was so, so deeply dire.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

I think that Biden was chosen by the primary voters more than anything because they thought he would beat Donald Trump, which was the #1 priority of every single Democratic voter in 2020. I don't think it was because everybody decided that they just love Biden so much more than any other option. I'm pretty sure Biden wouldn't have won out if his opponent hadn't been exactly who he was, and the threat of re-election was so, so deeply dire.

I mean that's the point though, that shows that Biden is what was needed to form a coalition of voters to get a Democrat across the line. Biden is as far left as a viable presidential candidate can get according to everything we're seeing unless something magical has happened and candidates to the left of Biden are no longer considered automatically dead in the water like in 2016 or 2020. If Bernie was put forward in 2024 as a serious candidate it would be the first time he was running where people actually thought he could win instead of being dismissed as too left, things that happened and played out the last two times he ran.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

How are u posted:

Pretty much. When the alternative is Trump or somebody who managed to out-Trump Trump even more so in racism and fascism, well I'll be campaigning for and voting for Joe Biden without a shred of hesitation. We can't afford to lose our democracy to fascists, not if we want a chance of continuing to try to build a better more just and more equitable nation and to tackle climate change.

So how are we defining racism and fascism here? Biden kept a lot of Trump's policy and expanded on some of the most openly racist and fascist institutions.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

There are plenty of good Democrats, this is weird and I don't know why we're buying into the "GE Thread" idea that every Democrat is bad and only Bernie Sanders (or fuckin' 95 year old Mike Gravel or something) was an acceptable candidate.

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

There's 23 candidates already who meet the (relatively low) standard of "roughly as good or better than Joe Biden, and better than Kamala Harris or (:rolleyes:) Hillary Clinton."

Every one of these candidates has something you can say to disqualify them, sure, but so did Biden and he won. And a lot of his shortcomings haven't really been an issue in office because the President largely follows the lead of Congress and not the other way around.

e: Also if Biden can run at 80 why not Bernie at 81? "Super old left wing chief executive" worked out okay for California.

Your inclusion of Raimondo on this list is...really something. Nobody gets anywhere in Rhode Island state level politics without the approving nod from the remnants of the Patriarca crime family.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Your inclusion of Raimondo on this list is...really something. Nobody gets anywhere in Rhode Island state level politics without the approving nod from the remnants of the Patriarca crime family.
Fine, then there's 22. I know you have a vendetta (fake e: Italian loan word unintentional) against RI politicians and from what you've said it seems like you have really good reasons for it. I don't even know that much about her, honestly, as I don't follow RI politics, I just know she was governor of a state I visit often and find pleasant enough. gently caress 'er!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Fine, then there's 22. I know you have a vendetta (fake e: Italian loan word unintentional) against RI politicians and from what you've said it seems like you have really good reasons for it. I don't even know that much about her, honestly, as I don't follow RI politics, I just know she was governor of a state I visit often and find pleasant enough. gently caress 'er!

poo poo, I didn't think it'd be that easy of a sell. You gotta try the cleah chowdah next time you're in town if you haven't already!

eta for content/new viewers: my aunt is a 20+ year veteran elected democrat in the ri state house of representatives. in her time there she has used her connections to bury a slam-dunk case against her son who failed out of cop school and became a corrections officer at the juvenile facility, raped a 16 year old girl while she was in his care (insomuch as any CO has the best interests of the imprisoned in mind), had the video evidence disappeared, had his disciplinary record sealed, and then went on to vote against a bill that would protect abortion rights on a state level months after pressuring her (now ex-) daughter-in-law into aborting her child because it early testing showed it would have downs' syndrome - let me repeat that - an elected democrat, descended from the patriarca crime family name coerced her daughter in law to do a eugenics and then voted to weaken abortion protections in her state

so long as the smallest town in the smallest state retains an accepted and beloved member of the democrat party with such a horrendously disgusting set of moral stains on her character, not a single upstream democrat will ever have my support because the fish rots from the head down.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 21, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo, I didn't think it'd be that easy of a sell. You gotta try the cleah chowdah next time you're in town if you haven't already!
Oh God I hate that poo poo, although I still prefer it to "Manhattan chowder" (the tomato juice kind). Creamy New England or :getout:!

(I mean of course it's fine if you're into it but there's no selling me on that stuff. :))

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh God I hate that poo poo, although I still prefer it to "Manhattan chowder" (the tomato juice kind). Creamy New England or :getout:!

(I mean of course it's fine if you're into it but there's no selling me on that stuff. :))

Don't get it somewhere bourgie like Providence, you gotta go down into Richmond or Narragansett (not the touristy parts) to get the real good clear chowder where they make it the same way the tribe did back before we did a genocide on them.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Don't get it somewhere bourgie like Providence, you gotta go down into Richmond or Narragansett (not the touristy parts) to get the real good clear chowder where they make it the same way the tribe did back before we did a genocide on them.

I'll consider it, most of my exposure is in Westerly (which is also very touristy, of course) or homemade versions from CT (very popular at town fairs in the eastern half) which I'm sure aren't the gold standard but have been made with plenty of love and attention. I didn't know it was a native recipe!

Sometimes I go to a chowder competition in Mystic, CT and almost every year the Westerly High School culinary club wins... with a creamy recipe. :smug: (Of course that's mostly CT palates doing the judging, and also they cheat by giving out free clam fritters with every cup.)

\/\/\/\/ yeah I mean geographically based food preferences tend to make stereotypes out of most of us. Fun derail, dems good or whatever

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

I'll consider it, most of my exposure is in Westerly (which is also very touristy, of course) or homemade versions from CT (very popular at town fairs in the eastern half) which I'm sure aren't the gold standard but have been made with plenty of love and attention.

Sometimes I go to a chowder competition in Mystic, CT and almost every year the Westerly High School culinary club wins... with a creamy recipe. :smug:

Creamy does in fact own, but me being the walking, talking sterotype I am (reference) I can't deny the superiority of a thin broth for busting open a clam cake, dipping it in the chowder, and letting the warm, fluffy dough suck up a bunch of broth

anyway uh, dems bad I guess, sorry for the chowder derail

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

eta for content/new viewers: my aunt is a 20+ year veteran elected democrat in the ri state house of representatives. in her time there she has used her connections to bury a slam-dunk case against her son who failed out of cop school and became a corrections officer at the juvenile facility, raped a 16 year old girl while she was in his care (insomuch as any CO has the best interests of the imprisoned in mind), had the video evidence disappeared, had his disciplinary record sealed, and then went on to vote against a bill that would protect abortion rights on a state level months after pressuring her (now ex-) daughter-in-law into aborting her child because it early testing showed it would have downs' syndrome - let me repeat that - an elected democrat, descended from the patriarca crime family name coerced her daughter in law to do a eugenics and then voted to weaken abortion protections in her state

so long as the smallest town in the smallest state retains an accepted and beloved member of the democrat party with such a horrendously disgusting set of moral stains on her character, not a single upstream democrat will ever have my support because the fish rots from the head down.

time was you could argue that people like this were outliers, but, well.

democratic elected officials at all levels have long since proved sex crimes are not a matter that concern them.

I wonder what the next step of the Cuomo Comeback Tour is going to be.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mellow Seas posted:

The Castro brothers are the only ones there who give a good impression. But yeah, bringing up Bernie's age when compared to Trump and Biden was majorly disingenuous.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

As a New Englander I can confirm Rhode Island is very corrupt, famously so. I wouldn't trust any politicians from there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mellow Seas posted:

Senators:
Sherrod Brown
Corey Booker
Chris Murphy
Tammy Duckworth
Mark Kelly
Ed Markey
Liz Warren
Ron Wyden
Patti Murray

Governors:
Gretchen Whitmer
Tom Wolf
Jay Inslee

Cabinet:
Gina Raimondo
Pete Buttigieg

House members:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Karen Bass
Ro Khanna
Adam Schiff
Sean Patrick Maloney
Joaquin Castro

Retired/Inactive:
Al Gore
John Kerry
Julian Castro

The Democrats are hosed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can I be on the list? I promise to make all policy decisions via SA forum poll.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

As a New Englander I can confirm Rhode Island is very corrupt, famously so. I wouldn't trust any politicians from there.

As awful as it looks from the outside, I cannot effectively communicate to you in words the level of depravity they reveal and, in fact, revel in, when they think they're in a safe place with their family and can drop the mask. Things like...leaving her 60-something year old late-stage Parkinson's-affected husband in the care of her 90 year old, hard-of-hearing mother while she herself was sitting in the fanciest loving hospital room at miriam loving baptist hospital getting the 5 loving star local loving celebrity treatment because she had a facelift go sideways and get infected while she left two elderly citizens, who EACH need their own personal care professional...in the care of each other at home.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Democrats are hosed.

Probably, but a lot of it doesn't have anything to do with the bland humans they can run

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

As awful as it looks from the outside, I cannot effectively communicate to you in words the level of depravity they reveal and, in fact, revel in, when they think they're in a safe place with their family and can drop the mask. Things like...leaving her 60-something year old late-stage Parkinson's-affected husband in the care of her 90 year old, hard-of-hearing mother while she herself was sitting in the fanciest loving hospital room at miriam loving baptist hospital getting the 5 loving star local loving celebrity treatment because she had a facelift go sideways and get infected while she left two elderly citizens, who EACH need their own personal care professional...in the care of each other at home.

Not to turn it into a huge derail but one of the things I always want people to understand about solidly blue places like MA or RI is that a lot of the people here vote blue for the same reason lots of people in solidly red states blue red, you're expected to culturally so you do. Democrat machine politics dominate Rhode Island and often looked very little like what national Democrats look like and have survived on the backs of "you vote Dem because your family votes Dem, you've always voted Dem".

Edit: to give more content here is a good piece I read recently from Jacobin about Rhode Island local politics, what things can look like at a state level in solid blue states, and what local progressives are doing and not doing about it. https://www.jacobinmag.com/2022/01/reclaim-rhode-island-bernie-left-machine-politics-local-government

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Democrats are hosed.

To continue on that theme, here's a post-mortem of a Minnesotan Democrat going through all of the typical motions once they lose an election.

Highlights include:
Democrats cannot fail, they can only be failed.
I supported Trump's wall and they still didn't like me.
The party moved left and radicals like AOC made me lose.

https://www.inforum.com/opinion/mcfeely-democratic-party-didnt-leave-collin-peterson

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Here we go again...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-wisconsin-officer-kneeling-neck-12-year-old-girl-rcna20826

An off-duty police officer in Kenosha, WI working as a middle school resource officer intervened to break up a fight between two girls. As he was pulling one away, the other girl kept attacking. So, being a cop from Kenosha, he restrained that 12 year old girl the only way Wisconsin cops apparently know how - by kneeling on her neck.

And it was caught on surveillance cameras.

Article in full:

NBC News" posted:

KENOSHA, Wis. — School officials in Kenosha, Wisconsin, released surveillance footage that shows an off-duty police officer putting his knee on a 12-year-old girl’s neck to restrain her amid a lunchtime fight.

The Kenosha Unified School District released redacted footage of the March 4 fight on Friday. It shows Kenosha officer Shawn Guetschow intervening in the fight and then scuffling with the girl, before falling to the ground and hitting his head on a table.

Guetschow, who was working as a security guard at the school, then pushes the girl’s head into the ground and uses his knee on her neck for about half a minute before handcuffing her and walking her out of the cafeteria.

Jerrel Perez, the girl’s father, has called for criminal charges against Guetschow for using a type of restraint that was banned for Wisconsin law enforcement officers last year. He said his daughter is in therapy and seeing a neurologist for her injuries.

The school district initially placed Guetschow on paid leave. He resigned from his part-time security job with the school on Tuesday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

In his resignation letter, Guetschow complained the school district has not supported him and that the incident has placed a heavy burden on his family. (:qq:)

The district told the newspaper it would not provide any additional details and did not respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Saturday. Kenosha police, in a statement, said Guetschow is still employed by the department.

“We continue our investigation, paying careful attention to the entire scope of the incident,” the statement said. “We have no further update at this time.”

Like, holy gently caress, it's a 12 year old. You don't need to put your body weight on them to restrain them, and there is no reason to loving handcuff them. Teachers used to break up fights on occasion when I was in highschool and they managed to do it without throwing someone to the floor, kneeling on their neck, or handcuffing them.

And then the rear end in a top hat gets put on vacation as a consequence and has the gall to whine that this is all very hard on him.

gently caress cops always, forever and a day.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

As someone who has worked in a field of where at times you needed to restrain teenagers, I never in my wildest dreams understood why you would kneel on someone’s neck.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who has worked in a field of where at times you needed to restrain teenagers, I never in my wildest dreams understood why you would kneel on someone’s neck.

there's really no reason to do it in any field unless you're some kind of sadistic rear end in a top hat who loves hurting people

also known as "a cop"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hope that table wasn't too badly damaged.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yinlock posted:

there's really no reason to do it in any field unless you're some kind of sadistic rear end in a top hat who loves hurting people

also known as "a cop"

Edit - Misread post.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

punk rebel ecks posted:

You’d be extremely surprised. Especially when people start flat out attacking you when politely asking them to leave or escorting them out. It’s hardly an everyday thing but restraints have their purposes. Certainly not in a public school with a 12 year old unless the girl presented substantial danger, like was about to stab somebody.

I think you might want to read that again because I think you both agree. Nobody should be kneeling on necks in any sort of restraint situation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I think you might want to read that again because I think you both agree. Nobody should be kneeling on necks in any sort of restraint situation.

You’re right. Sorry I’m phone posting.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
So how bad is the Ketanji Brown Jackson hearing going.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

Here we go again...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-wisconsin-officer-kneeling-neck-12-year-old-girl-rcna20826

An off-duty police officer in Kenosha, WI working as a middle school resource officer intervened to break up a fight between two girls. As he was pulling one away, the other girl kept attacking. So, being a cop from Kenosha, he restrained that 12 year old girl the only way Wisconsin cops apparently know how - by kneeling on her neck.

And it was caught on surveillance cameras.

Article in full:

Like, holy gently caress, it's a 12 year old. You don't need to put your body weight on them to restrain them, and there is no reason to loving handcuff them. Teachers used to break up fights on occasion when I was in highschool and they managed to do it without throwing someone to the floor, kneeling on their neck, or handcuffing them.

And then the rear end in a top hat gets put on vacation as a consequence and has the gall to whine that this is all very hard on him.

Oh my God they're literally slap fighting it's a slap fight between 12 year old girls. What cowards.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

Since apparently the only part important about the last time I mentioned this seemed to be specifically which tool the CBP was oppressing minorities with:

Reminder that the US refugee policy is about as openly racist as it can be without outright doing the Family Guy color card

The Ukrainians are being paroled into the US as refugees, this means that they are given a set period of time to be in the US before they have to apply for admission, which is the term for being legally allowed to be in the United States, versus entry, which is being physically present in the US.

That being said, were you aware that most of the Haitians picked up at Del Rio were allowed to stay in the United States? And that President Biden gave temporary protected status to over 100,000 Haitians last July?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-mayorkas-joins-white-house-briefing-amid-scrutiny-of-u-s-treatment-of-haitian-migrants

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/08/03/2021-16481/designation-of-haiti-for-temporary-protected-status

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Velocity Raptor posted:

So? He kneeled on her for all of 30 seconds, can't tell if it was on her neck since the video resolution is so low. And handcuffing is the easiest was to control her.

Getting rid of resource control officers has done nothing but increase violence in schools.

https://who13.com/news/parents-continue-to-raise-concerns-about-violence-in-des-moines-public-schools/

WHO posted:

DES MOINES, Iowa – More parents are speaking out about violence in Des Moines Public Schools. Last week, they brought their concerns about a lack of school resource officers to the school board. The board did not do anything about it, leaving some parents feeling frustrated and fearful to send their kids to school.

“It’s ridiculous that there are this many fights going on because when I was in school it wasn’t that bad,” Joy Heathcote, a DMPS alumna with kids in the district, said.

Heathcote said too often her kids send her violent videos of fights from school, and she’s not alone.

“What’s going on right now, it’s getting worse,” Aveantai Smith, another DMPS parent, said. “It’s not getting better.”

Smith’s kids send her similar scenes, which led to her opinion: “I don’t feel like kids are safe at Des Moines Public Schools at all.”

Both mothers think getting rid of school resource officers has led to more fights. The district points to data showing calls for police assistance are down, but at the same time the district’s own survey found students are feeling less safe.

“It’s such an icky feeling to have to send her to school,” said one foster parent in the district who wants to remain anonymous. “You know, is this the day that something bad is going to happen?”

In place of SROs, administrators have increased the number of campus monitors at high schools and they started training staff on how to de-escalate tense situations.

Still, new videos keep surfacing and even end up on social media, including an Instagram page called “Brody Fights.”

“Nobody’s doing anything. No one’s helping them,” Heathcote said. “No one’s hearing the cries of not only the teachers, but the students, the parents. It’s getting really, really bad.”

A spokesperson with DMPS said this issue will be a part of regular and ongoing discussions between the school board and administrators moving forward.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

PeterCat posted:

The Ukrainians are being paroled into the US as refugees, this means that they are given a set period of time to be in the US before they have to apply for admission, which is the term for being legally allowed to be in the United States, versus entry, which is being physically present in the US.

That being said, were you aware that most of the Haitians picked up at Del Rio were allowed to stay in the United States? And that President Biden gave temporary protected status to over 100,000 Haitians last July?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-mayorkas-joins-white-house-briefing-amid-scrutiny-of-u-s-treatment-of-haitian-migrants

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/08/03/2021-16481/designation-of-haiti-for-temporary-protected-status

Hey, did you see this post from last thread?

shimmy shimmy posted:

Hang on, Jayxon didn't say they whipped them. He said they were horseback cops with whips, which is also what the article says. Or am I misunderstanding something?

More details on the click-through since I can't figure out how to reproduce the post with the links in this thread, but I was wondering if I was misunderstanding something about the situation you were talking about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PeterCat posted:

So? He kneeled on her for all of 30 seconds, can't tell if it was on her neck since the video resolution is so low. And handcuffing is the easiest was to control her.

Getting rid of resource control officers has done nothing but increase violence in schools.

I cannot begin to imagine that kneeling on the neck of a child would be good, no matter how short the amount of time spent is. Nor is it likely to be necessary.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PeterCat posted:

Your link goes into detail about how 10's of thousands of Haitians are being expelled back to Haiti and the US has been using Title 42 to deny entry to the majority of refugees/asylum seekers not from "white" countries.

PeterCat posted:

https://who13.com/news/parents-continue-to-raise-concerns-about-violence-in-des-moines-public-schools/

"He only kneeled on a child for 30 seconds" oh neat

Paper on school cops:
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2018/11/08/does-more-policing-make-middle-schools-safer/

NYT artilce on school cops
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/us/schools-police-resource-officers.html

Study from think tank on cops in schools:
https://justicepolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/educationunderarrest_fullreport.pdf

Police in schools don't appear to have any significant affect at all on safety or school shootings, but what they HAVE been shown increase substantially punishments and arrests of minority children, disproportionately, and they're disproportionately put in schools that are majority children of color.

If you're going to make a claim about the positive effects of school cops, while defending a grown person kneeling on a child, you better come with better than a local news story.

There's not even any data in that poo poo.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

PeterCat posted:

30 seconds is long enough to put someone unconscious. The guy is twice her size, he could easily hold her down with no trouble, without the need for a technique like that.

That article has some iffy reasoning. Two of the people quoted talk about it being better when they were kids, which doesn't tell us the causes of increased fighting or even if there really are any. The district is clearly taking steps to moderate the issues that lead to fights. Those steps need a while to work.

Background: I practice a martial art that teaches restraints and chokes, as well as working in schools. On the occasions I've had to separate people, I haven't needed to do more than get between them and maybe hold them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Jaxyon posted:

If you're going to make a claim about the positive effects of school cops, while defending a grown person kneeling on a child, you better come with better than a local news story.

Also, and this is extremely important, you should definitely not defend a grown person kneeling on a child in any circumstance unless your goal is to get people to see you as a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PeterCat posted:

It's a 12 year old. I worked as a bouncer. There's no need to knee on her neck to get cuffs on her unless they are lovely at their job. (also, LOL at cuffing a girl for getting in a classic slap fight? what the hell?) I had to restrain folks (a lot bigger than a 12 year old girl) and never once did I have to put pressure on their neck. Because it's incredibly dangerous to do so.

Why are you defending a hog?