Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dr Christmas posted:

What did Crenshaw do to earn the ire of those Proud Boys? Was it just voting for aid money for Ukraine?

Trump showed that limited anti-war rhetoric has found a place in the Republican Party, but he also ramped up wars and spending everywhere without them caring. Putin being white, unlike the targets of Trump’s ire, probably makes a difference.

Tucker called him names because he isn't fascist enough.

Here's a preview of the 2024 GOP primaries (ignore that the sources of the info are horrible people)

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1538935734052212736

flood the zone with "moderate" candidates and consolidate the MAGA vote with the craziest in the room.

It's pretty much the exact reason Grietens released that inflammatory ad. It's free press for him, and signals to the MAGA block that he is their guy.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Got a breaking news alert that Israel was dissolving parliament again because:

Huh. Sounds kinda familiar.

It's not really similar at all to what's been going on in the US. The governing coalition in Israel was an awkward left-right alliance, united basically solely by their personal dislike of Netanyahu. And even then, it took several elections in quick succession (two in 2019, one in 2020, and one in 2021) for that to come together.

Given their lack of ideological unity, there was never any expectation that the current coalition was going to accomplish much beyond just keeping Likud out of power until Bibi gets convicted. But his trial has been dragging on, which has given Netanyahu plenty of time to engage in his specialty of bribing opposition lawmakers with promises of power.

Besides, there's plenty of real ideological faultlines in the coalition that the opposition were able to poke and prod at. The first defection, last month, was an ultra-religious MK getting mad that the government was too friendly to secular policies. The second one, just recently, was due to disagreements between the strongly pro-settler MKs and the strongly anti-settler MKs, whose back-and-forth tug-of-war caused the failure of the routine "moderate" measures needed to maintain the settler status quo.

The political situation in Israel is a hot fuckin mess, even moreso than the US.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really similar at all to what's been going on in the US. The governing coalition in Israel was an awkward left-right alliance, united basically solely by their personal dislike of Netanyahu. And even then, it took several elections in quick succession (two in 2019, one in 2020, and one in 2021) for that to come together.

Given their lack of ideological unity, there was never any expectation that the current coalition was going to accomplish much beyond just keeping Likud out of power until Bibi gets convicted. But his trial has been dragging on, which has given Netanyahu plenty of time to engage in his specialty of bribing opposition lawmakers with promises of power.

Besides, there's plenty of real ideological faultlines in the coalition that the opposition were able to poke and prod at. The first defection, last month, was an ultra-religious MK getting mad that the government was too friendly to secular policies. The second one, just recently, was due to disagreements between the strongly pro-settler MKs and the strongly anti-settler MKs, whose back-and-forth tug-of-war caused the failure of the routine "moderate" measures needed to maintain the settler status quo.

The political situation in Israel is a hot fuckin mess, even moreso than the US.

I appreciate the serious answer, but mostly I was just making a light attempt at a joke since on the surface it read like an analogue to Sinema/Manchin and some other right wing idiots.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kanos posted:

I wonder how much ecological and resource damage the desire for green lawns, golf courses, and Vegas fountains has caused.

Worth noting here that while green lawns, golf, and the entire idea of Las Vegas are awful things that should be abolished, none of those things is a significant contributor compared to industrial and agricultural usage.

Vegas in particular is very efficient with it's water usage including it's golf courses.

There's farms in California that use more water than the entirety of LA County residential usage. Nestle is sucking the state dry too.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jaxyon posted:

Worth noting here that while green lawns, golf, and the entire idea of Las Vegas are awful things that should be abolished, none of those things is a significant contributor compared to industrial and agricultural usage.

Vegas in particular is very efficient with it's water usage including it's golf courses.

There's farms in California that use more water than the entirety of LA County residential usage. Nestle is sucking the state dry too.

Just to build in this. In CA 50% of the water is allowed to go to the environment, 40% goes to agriculture, 5% to lawns and golf courses, and 5% to other human uses. There are distribution issues (i.e. people in location A can't get water from location B), but the largest human use of water, by far, is agriculture and it makes up like 2% of the state GDP. Please punish lawn-havers and golf courses, but we have to build infrastructure to get water to humans and prioritize that over agriculture.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

And they're using that amount of water because they haven't been forced to even do so much as token efforts to conserve like mandating drip irrigation or ANYTHING, its ridiculous how carte blanche they've been on these drat farmers who wast e water like you wouldn't believe (not that its just California that does this, there are plenty of farms all over the US in the Great Plains etc that do similar and are bleeding aquifers dry as a result).

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

Do you have some sources for these claims? Southern NV golf courses alone use about 6% of southern NV's entire water supply. That absolutely does not sound "very efficient" to me. Yes, I'm expanding from Vegas to Southern NV, but I'm assuming that there isn't much of a difference in water usage. If this is incorrect, please correct me with a source on this.

Of course agriculture water usage is really, really large. Especially in the livestock sector, since people can't seem to give up eating habits that include things like beef. But that industry overall is still a million times more useful than, for example, the golf industry.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 20, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a risk to the Murdochs and Kochs of the world that they might exhaust the GOP reservoir of hatred and ignorance with this flood of dramatic and provocative garbage?

You can't exhaust a violent, hateful, fascist culture of new ways and new groups to hate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kalit posted:

Do you have some sources for these claims? Golf courses alone use about 6% of southern NV's entire water supply. That absolutely does not sound "very efficient" to me.

They're efficient, but relative to other golf courses. Golf courses should be razed to the ground and replaced with affordable housing, of course.

quote:

Of course agriculture water usage is really, really large. Especially in the livestock sector, since people can't seem to give up eating habits that include things like beef. But that industry overall is still a million times more useful than, for example, the golf industry.

California grows some absurdly water-intensive poo poo like alfalfa and has almost zero controls on water efficiency and sells it to growers at ancient pricing schemes. Look up the Resnicks and their influence in Sacramento.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just turn golf courses into public parks. You wouldn't even need to redevelop them, just knock down all the fences

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

California grows some absurdly water-intensive poo poo like alfalfa and has almost zero controls on water efficiency and sells it to growers at ancient pricing schemes. Look up the Resnicks and their influence in Sacramento.
Maybe it was unclear, but by the livestock industry, I meant livestock itself along with the crops that support them. Which includes alfalfa.

And do you have a specific point about the Resnicks? Literally every major industry has titans that control/influence politics. But since we're talking about water usage, on a brief search, I don't see how they're hyper-inflating water usage to a relevant degree?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 20, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

Just turn golf courses into public parks. You wouldn't even need to redevelop them, just knock down all the fences

Public golf courses are fun you get to spend like 25 bucks for 4 hours of driving around on a golf kart smashed to hell off cheap beer and knocking around golf balls I highly recommend it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

Maybe it was unclear, but by the livestock industry, I meant livestock itself along with the crops that support them. Which includes alfalfa.

And do you have a specific point about the Resnicks? Literally every major industry has titans that control/influence politics. But since we're talking about water usage, on a brief search, I don't see how they're hyper-inflating water usage to a relevant degree?

Meet the California Couple Who Uses More Water Than Every Home in Los Angeles Combined
How megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick built their billion-dollar empire.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/lynda-stewart-resnick-california-water/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalit posted:

I think that people who suck up scarce natural resources, disproportionately, in order to add to their already imaginable wealth, during a drought, are bad.

The fact that they are not unique is not a useful point to make unless you are agreeing with me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

Meet the California Couple Who Uses More Water Than Every Home in Los Angeles Combined
How megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick built their billion-dollar empire.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/lynda-stewart-resnick-california-water/

They're also largely responsible for the warmongering towards iran every few years, and by extension helping fuel the psychotic Israel lobby.

All over loving pistachios. Just ludicrously evil people.

Also re environment chat: the fact that the ruling class is just ignoring the crisis out of a belief that they personally will be fine or dead when it hits full swing may not be particularly fresh news but it is still extremely relevant to current events.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

They're also largely responsible for the warmongering towards iran every few years, and by extension helping fuel the psychotic Israel lobby.

All over loving pistachios. Just ludicrously evil people.

Also re enrionment chat: the fact that the ruling class is just ignoring the crisis out of a belief that they personally will be fine or dead when it hits full swing may not be particularly fresh news but it is still extremely relevant to current events.

I believe the Resnicks, Harris Ranch, and Tejon Ranch billionaire scum (along with Nestle) are responsible for a huge amount of the California water thievery. :guillotine:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lib and let die posted:

another absolute banger from Russian Asset Chris Hedges

Other than the Assange Fan Club stuff there was some decent points in this.

For one the DOJ is totally ignoring what amounts to price fixing in the oil biz.

And the climate stuff is on target.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

I believe the Resnicks, Harris Ranch, and Tejon Ranch billionaire scum (along with Nestle) are responsible for a huge amount of the California water thievery. :guillotine:

Is it *really* thievery if the government just lets you do it though?

yes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Other than the Assange Fan Club stuff there was some decent points in this.

What's your specific issue with Assange?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

At least to me Assange support/hate is always a weird virtue signal that I feel like uselessly pops up in a lot of opinion pieces. Though reading through the piece the only parts I really object to are calling him heroic or the most important publisher. He's a libertarian goof who put himself in a position to be a clearinghouse for information while still definitely having his own ideology. He's a face and spokesperson for a lot of other people's work.

But I agree with the rest and Assange really just being some guy who published things others leaked is part of why punishing him like this is just sending a message.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

At least to me Assange support/hate is always a weird virtue signal that I feel like uselessly pops up in a lot of opinion pieces. Though reading through the piece the only parts I really object to are calling him heroic or the most important publisher. He's a libertarian goof who put himself in a position to be a clearinghouse for information while still definitely having his own ideology. He's a face and spokesperson for a lot of other people's work.

But I agree with the rest and Assange really just being some guy who published things others leaked is part of why punishing him like this is just sending a message.

To me at least it gets way harder to dismiss his impact or relegate him to just a clearinghouse when you consider how hard this many successive admins have tried to black bag him and how shamelessly the media and "progressive" politicians have windsocked on the issue

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

some plague rats posted:

He was convicted of rape, charged with sexual assault and sexual coercion of a different person, and said he didn't care if fake information was in their leaks as long as it hurt Hillary Clinton. He also managed to turn both the Ecuadorian embassy and the female documentary filmmaker who came to film a positive documentary about him against him by pissing in the carpet and repeatedly "joking" about how he was going to roofy her when she wasn't looking and rape her, respectively.

Those seem pretty bad and pretty specific to him personally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Push El Burrito posted:

Public golf courses are fun you get to spend like 25 bucks for 4 hours of driving around on a golf kart smashed to hell off cheap beer and knocking around golf balls I highly recommend it.

Agree it can be fun with the right group.

I went from hating golf and thinking it was idiotic to playing a little and having fun to taking lessons and trying to get better and then circled all the way back around to thinking it was stupid again. I had some fun along the way here and there but, while I kind of like playing golf, I hate golfers and got paired up with more douche bags in the few years I played than I prefer to count. Sport is just littered with assholes and conservative types who take things way too serious and that can ruin your whole round if you're unlucky.

Best way to do it is bring three other dudes with you that you know are chill but even then I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of time. Frisbee golf on the other hand...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

To me at least it gets way harder to dismiss his impact or relegate him to just a clearinghouse when you consider how hard this many successive admins have tried to black bag him and how shamelessly the media and "progressive" politicians have windsocked on the issue

Eh, not if you consider how often this stuff is emotionally driven revenge. There's nothing special about him, if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. He's just a public spokesperson for others and in some ways doing what was always going to be the outcome, taking the fall.

Still doesn't deserve it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was convicted of rape, charged with sexual assault and sexual coercion of a different person, and said he didn't care if fake information was in their leaks as long as it hurt Hillary Clinton. He also managed to turn both the Ecuadorian embassy and the female documentary filmmaker who came to film a positive documentary about him against him by pissing in the carpet and repeatedly "joking" about how he was going to roofy her when she wasn't looking and rape her, respectively.

Ok but none of that is why the US wants to jail him, right? I agree, he’s a piece of poo poo, but none of those reasons for him being a piece of poo poo justify his treatment, and yet somehow they keep getting conflated.

If being as much of a piece of poo poo to women was actually a problem for the powerful, Biden would be in jail too. That’s not what’s going on though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

selec posted:

Ok but none of that is why the US wants to jail him, right? I agree, he’s a piece of poo poo, but none of those reasons for him being a piece of poo poo justify his treatment, and yet somehow they keep getting conflated.

If being as much of a piece of poo poo to women was actually a problem for the powerful, Biden would be in jail too. That’s not what’s going on though.

Now I'm just imagining a world where Louie CK gets the Assange treatment. Honestly beautiful, crying a little.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

selec posted:

Are we talking about why the US government is mad, or why that poster was mad?

Because I thought it was that poster.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Are we talking about why the US government is mad, or why that poster was mad?

Because I thought it was that poster.

Oh yeah, but even if that’s the reason they’re mad, they should oppose his being flown to the US to be tortured by our police state.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

selec posted:

Oh yeah, but even if that’s the reason they’re mad, they should oppose his being flown to the US to be tortured by our police state.

Yeah the US sucks but also Assange sucks. Both things can be true. I'm not shedding tears for Gods Special Boy Julian the Rapist. At least he did some useful poo poo in between victimizing women.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh wow they finally got the conviction? When did that happen?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: gumball!!!

Oh word he was actually convicted? When? In what court? I must have missed that

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Even after how much the cops lied about their response, I'm shocked by this. Bunch of useless LARPers.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1539005390108622849

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

some plague rats posted:

e: gumball!!!

Oh word he was actually convicted? When? In what court? I must have missed that

Kind of weird that you are ignoring all of the other stuff when you asked for an explanation and got one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Wait are we being pedantic about his conviction or going full "the rape accusations are lies manufactured by the US government in order to hurt Julian"

Because if it's the latter, gross

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Wait are we being pedantic about his conviction or going full "the rape accusations are lies manufactured by the US government in order to hurt Julian"

I mean I'm asking, did they? It was reopened in 2019 right?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Julian Assange has been convicted of rape in the same way that Joe Biden has been convicted of rape.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kind of weird that you are ignoring all of the other stuff when you asked for an explanation and got one.

Is this your first time posting in D&D?

Seriously "accused of" and "convicted of" are such wildly different things that conflating them is impossible to see as anything other than an outright bad faith smear?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd be willing to give more credence to Assange As Hero Whistleblower if he hadn't admitted he had DNC-style dirt on Republicans and probably other far right parties in the west but refused to release it because he considered it boring, as opposed to the more dynamic and lively curated drops of poorly sourced and research info he instead went with. Or refused to give the 2nd part of some key years after he had said that if he refused to give that key it meant he was compromised. Between everything it feels like Snowden did all the real work in getting that leak made public and Assange is basically just a Groyper avatar twitter account given human form based on every single thing I've ever heard about his personal life or how he interacts with others, especially women.

It was very funny when he convinced Alex Jones to stay up livestreaming until like 4am on the promise of dropping a bunch of info only to do an elevator pitch for his book tho.

edit - Jesus I had forgotten how much all the liberal doomscreaming about him had gummed up the SEO, I've searched and linked these things before but cannot find them now for the life of me wtf

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

What conviction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

some plague rats posted:

What conviction?

I don't think he has been convicted of rape. So are we being pedantic, or not believing women when our politics lines up with doing so.