Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BiggerBoat posted:

Primary Biden with whom? A quick look at the long list of awesome, inspiring and viable candidates starts with:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
2. Hillary loving Clinton
3. _____________?

I'd do it but the minimum age is 35

I feel like that part isn't really super relevant anymore, especially if we want to freshen up the government

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

It’s the only answer if you don’t want to constantly deal with capital seeking to overturn any ground you gain.

Considering the current state of communism, it seems to be a wrong answer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The lesson to learn from Lee Carter is that if you don't play the game right, even if the rules are stupid, you lose.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Democrats and Republicans alike as we know them today would cease to exist entirely. I'd say that's a pretty drat good start.

That's certainly true in one context if Russia were to invade America

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Our leadership is simultaneously asleep at the wheel, while ramming lines off the 8-track catching air on hills, blasting metallica, and has a trunk full of C4 on a hair loving trigger.

That sounds pretty badass ngl

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is an executive action the same thing as an executive order?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought Millennials were screwed over with respect to microplastics too.

I thought basically all of Earth was at this point.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Functional alcoholism and whatever it is that's giving all of us prostate cancer really young is going to be our generation's version of leaded gas. Gen Z gets to have their blood be 99% microplastic.

That's not true - there's also heart disease ready to screw us.

e: Oh you don't mean just to kill us

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 24, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

B B posted:

So you're going to put a minimal amount of effort into proving that the list is bullshit but want the rest of the thread to believe that it's bullshit? I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the House Progressive Caucus knows more about what can be done via executive action and executive order than you do.

It seems like it's just via "executive action", not order, which I assume means it's not just something Biden can do alone, like was claimed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

I honestly think to the average American the difference really is that she said it was a hard choice but worth it. If she had said "gently caress them kids" we would know it was a genocide but we just can't see into her heart so we need to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think the average American knows who she is, honestly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

Targeting oligarchs is what we were told would happen by US officials. We have the White House saying that the Russian economy has been crushed and reports that their money is worth a fraction of what it was. So the White House was clearly mistaken or lying about their ability to use sanctions in a targeted way.

The point of sanctions is to create pressure on the regime through human suffering, so yes, if you support sanctions you support mass suffering to achieve political ends. Furthermore, we know that sanctions rarely produce the intended effect, so not only are you supporting human suffering, you're supporting it with a slim chance of success.

No, you can't flip it back on me because the answer to genocide is not generating more civilian deaths. That's just petty vengeance.

We can probably math this out. How many civilian deaths have the sanctions generated to date, and how many could they? How many have Russia's imperialist war generated, and how many could it? In the short term and the long term, how many civilian deaths will, or could, the sanctions prevent if it assists in ending the war of aggression? We could substitute or include suffering as well, including global effects of both, considering the upcoming wheat issue from the war, and also considering the reports of mass forced displacement as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I attended a government job fair once and the one presenter told everyone all the ways you could use whatever you wanted unless you were dumb enough to admit to it or get caught on a test. He also had a lot to say about cocaine and how much of it he did, which was an interesting thing to announce right after the first thing.

Really sucks for that person though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Srice posted:

I've already been seeing deranged takes by blue checkmarks trying to compare Will Smith to Putin so I am sure it is just a matter of time before the NYT or something unleashes an insanely bad thinkpiece.

If I was good at photoshop I'd put Will Smith in Putin's empty table slapping the air

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If someone insulted my wife I'd probably invade Eastern Europe too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm starting to think trying to slot every last thing that happens into a political ideology or framework is a bad idea

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Senator Armstrong was right: America is diseased, rotten to the core, and there's no saving it.

"The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make America great again!" - Senator Armstrong

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

I would unironically love to have a longform discussion on the politics and social commentary of the Metal Gear/Solid/Rising universe. I think Kojima is one of the most prescient sci-fi writers of our time who should be held up alongside names like Orwell and Huxley.

That'd be a good thread - I think even when he misses the mark, like Death Stranding's atomization of society (and to be fair I don't think a lot of people expected half of the US to go all in on anti-vaxxing, anti-masking, and throwing covid parties), you can see where he gets close to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

Is the great merge finally happening?

The sky and the cosmos are one!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

Do it for real and cause a meltdown about posting with tankies. Mods are cowards again.

Call the new forum D-SPAM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

This is the most important email we've ever sent you

forgive me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The U.S. is also depriving the world of art like this from the "Boogie-Woogie Masters" by preventing Putin's daughter from competing.

And isn't that the real war crime?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Literally none of it will improve the lives of any American voters so it’s a wash anyway. Big ole WHO CARE imo.

I care.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

IN THIS HOUSE, WE BELIEVE...
...in Sentry home security!

(The no. of people in my suburb who have those lib signs but also security-system warnings never fails to make me lol.)

When I bought my house it came with a sign in the front saying it has some home security system or another. It doesn't actually have one, but I figured just keeping the sign there's about as effective

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

It's probably worth a lot more of an :effort: post than I can put together while distracting myself at work, but I can't help but shake the creeping feeling that a plethora of video security systems installed on a majority of homes is a bit like US citizens openly welcoming the surveillance state into our lives, and instead of addressing the material conditions that lead desperate or ill (ex addicts) people to commit material crimes, but it creates more value for shareholders to have The Property Brothers (a registered trademark of HGN, a copyrighted subsidiary of Discovery Networks, LLC) shilling home security systems for a buck for a false sense of security that even if the whole world is going tango unicorn, your little fiefdom is "safe" because you have a camera on your doorbell

Wait are we talking about stuff like those lovely webcams everywhere or stuff like those services that call the security company if a window is open or broken and you didn't press a button or whatever first?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It depends.

According to studies, just putting a sign in your front yard that says you have a security system can reduce your chance of being burgled (even if you don't actually have a security system)

Lol glad to see I was right, laziness wins again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VitalSigns posted:

Iirc black polling has bands of opinion that break along age lines, with younger black people who are more likely to be targets of police harassment and violence being more likely to support reduced policing

Which makes sense since greater policing is objectively more of a threat to their personal well-being

Does it have to be an aggressive dog, or is it just as effective to have a total cuddlepuppy who will let you walk off with the silver if you rub his belly as long as his bark sounds fearsome enough to deter burglars from getting close enough to find out

That article suggests the latter, but also note that some burglars will instead use the sweet little guy as leverage or just hurt it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Did I say it was "upsetting" or "controversial"? No; I said it makes me laugh, which it does.

I sometimes wonder what alchemy is involved between my typing something & the interpretive dances that are posted in response.

I think it's mostly that your original post on it seemed like a non-sequitur

e: Or what the good professor said

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah I'm definitely generalizing here. I just hate those signs. Their smug aura mocks me.

The "In this house we" ones that start off generally the same like believing in gender equality then 180ing into "loving HATE APARTMENTS" are always "interesting" to see

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Also lol that they were all yakking it up at the gridiron dinner last week, which featured dancers dressed as covid viruses.

Seems kind of like someone showing up as the Red Death doesn't it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harold Fjord posted:

Fish have no word for water.

Curiously though, they have six for land.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally, a union will have a say in government

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

What's extra hilarious about Pelosi longing for 1950s Republicans is that if her wish came true, the Democrat Party would be instantly and permanently outflanked on the left. The culture shock would have people screaming and making GBS threads their pants.

I guess I'd vote for the pantshitter party in that case. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ :wtc:

Some interesting quotes from the NYT focus group held couple months ago with the financially insecure and what their lying eyes are telling them:

I love focus groups, not just bc you can get such weird responses, but also bc the participants tend to feed each other's energies.

quote:

Phyllis: Can’t tell you the last time there was chicken breasts available when I’ve gone to the grocery store.

This is the one thing I have never seen run out. Chicken thighs, sure. Chicken wings, uh huh. Steak and bacon and sausages during the pandemic? You bet. But there is seemingly infinite chicken breasts, despite everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: I will posit, not in particular response to you but in general, that I think focus-group answers tend to rile people up bc they're unfiltered, and fb- or twitter-style algorithms don't hide them from view for those who hold opposing beliefs.

I'd argue it's almost the opposite - FB shovels you opposite beliefs, but usually on some sort of line or message. At least the one focus group seems pretty scattershot about what they're saying

Though I'm glad we can all agree that Jason Statham and Denzel Washington are the pinnacles of masculinity

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If only there was a collective group of people the president could call on to guard the nation against anti-human rights policies.

But I guess Biden’s hands are tied. Nothing to be done.

I guess I do want to see the other National Guards invade Texas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Imagine the ruling party actually using its power!

Unfortunately the same ruling party and their voters believe that would be tyrannical. Worse, it would offend the decorum pearl clutchers who may state they support human rights but in actuality are aligning themselves with the conservatives/fascists.

I mean sure we could send the DC guard, but I mean a 49 (50 I guess?) v 1 would be what I really want to see.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

I didn't think it was a controversial position to say "Yes, you should want people who steal children for the purposes of sexual indoctrination and/or abuse to be removed from power and arrested".

Unless they're jailed for life or given the death sentence after that also seems like a temporary inconvenience for fascists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

It says a lot about the lack of commitment liberals have to actually opposing fascism if you think "jailing fascists for life" or "death sentence for fascists" is a bridge-too-far gotcha.

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean sure we could send the DC guard, but I mean a 49 (50 I guess?) v 1 would be what I really want to see.

You're the one wanting a half measure left up to the courts here and an option for them to try again. I want an rear end blast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grooglon posted:

Huh, there are more people in this thread than I expected who are strongly in favor of American military intervention.

America will see us as liberators

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

"Three prison workers"

They're executioners, AP.

Maybe it's two executioners and a janitor because the third was out sick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bishyaler posted:

There's an even easier way, breathing in nitrogen gas is one of the most peaceful and painless ways to go. The body doesn't have a mechanism for defense against nitrogen like it does for carbon dioxide.

Edit: This is not in support of a death penalty, but would be nice for people with terminal diseases who want to end their suffering.

You sounded like you were in support of one yesterday. What changed?

Bishyaler posted:

It says a lot about the lack of commitment liberals have to actually opposing fascism if you think "jailing fascists for life" or "death sentence for fascists" is a bridge-too-far gotcha.

Personally, I think we should be removing power from police, not enabling them further, which is why I'm still against the death penalty in all instances. Even if it was reworked try to limit it to just fascists, I don't think it'd stay that way. This is why I'm still in favor of simply sending in the other states' National Guard to Texas instead, as an alternate solution to the police as our salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So you're pro death penalty. Got it.

It does seem like it'd lead to a lot more usage of it and require a lot more funding and authority to police and friends to support investigating, arresting, trying, and executing suspects for the crime of being fascist or supporting fascism, if that's the road to go down to solve the issue. I'd still rather remove funding and power from them.