Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i don't think panic is quite the right word for the 2022 midterms, "grim acceptance" might be more apt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More lining up their favourite scapegoats.

Eagerly awaiting yet another internal memo that has decided that the fault lies with the party going too far left and that it's time to get more racist to pick up the vital and very existing swing voters.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

A very significant percentage of the population believes that the direct cash payments are directly responsible for the current inflation problem.

Republicans pushed this and then Dems immediately agreed, so welp

"It can't have been due to the massive amount of corruption, it must have been the one good thing we did"

BiggerBoat posted:

Primary Biden with whom? A quick look at the long list of awesome, inspiring and viable candidates starts with:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
2. Hillary loving Clinton
3. _____________?

Honestly the tumbleweed would probably have a better chance than Biden, it's just as charismatic and doesn't have a history of being on the exact wrong side of nearly every single issue

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who has worked in a field of where at times you needed to restrain teenagers, I never in my wildest dreams understood why you would kneel on someone’s neck.

there's really no reason to do it in any field unless you're some kind of sadistic rear end in a top hat who loves hurting people

also known as "a cop"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PeterCat posted:

So? He kneeled on her for all of 30 seconds, can't tell if it was on her neck since the video resolution is so low. And handcuffing is the easiest was to control her.

Getting rid of resource control officers has done nothing but increase violence in schools.

Jaxyon posted:

If you're going to make a claim about the positive effects of school cops, while defending a grown person kneeling on a child, you better come with better than a local news story.

Also, and this is extremely important, you should definitely not defend a grown person kneeling on a child in any circumstance unless your goal is to get people to see you as a psychopath.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Judging by the story the cuffs and kneeling came out after the cop hit his head on the table, so he was either overwhelmed by the powerful fury of a 12 year old or is a complete klutz and ate poo poo, then immediately took out this anger on the nearest available target.

So he wasn't trying to restrain her at all, he was just having a tantrum and needed to hurt someone, as cops do.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

The whole video is in the article. He hit his head because he pulled her and himself to the ground. The girls were literally slap fighting.

Klutz it is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bishyaler posted:

Because if there was revolution in the US it would be happening by-and-large on its own citizens' terms, whereas sanctions are the US government trying to impose its will on other nations.

It's not even that, it's greatly exacerbating the suffering of innocent people in the vague hopes that the resulting instability will make something more US-favored happen. It's just open, pointless cruelty.

"Well what are we supposed to do instead?" seems to be the strange counter-argument, as if some terrible fate will befall the U.S if it's not actively making every situation it sees tangibly worse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

You all get that United States is not the only party sanctioning Russia, right?

So that makes it OK if the U.S does it? This is a literal playground argument. Just because Davey is goofing off on the monkey bars doesn't mean you should too.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Cutting out "if you are pro-sanctions you are pro massive amounts of hardship." because it's simply a strawman.

In this case it actually is not.

It's very confusing as to where the pro-sanction side's concerns lie.

Practical? Sanctions have been proven, repeatedly, to not actually work. There is no practical argument to be made in favor of them.

Moral? Sanctions have again been proven, repeatedly, to just make everything worse for innocent people. There is, again, no possible moral argument to be made in their favor.

Since both of those are a complete bust, we're left with only two reasonable motives:

1) Cruelty: They simply want The Enemy to suffer. This is a symptom of War Brain so the suffering of The Enemy is justified on it's own merits and any arguments against this will be dismissed as either foolish or traitorous.

2) Self-satisfaction. "What should we do instead???". The U.S must act because otherwise they, personally, would feel helpless about the situation. Whether that action actually helps or not doesn't matter as long as they feel better.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 26, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My initial comment, and the responses I was responding to are below.

The "no one is saying this routine" about things people are actually saying gets really old in this thread.

I notice you conveniently omitted the part of the post where I said I was trying to reason out why someone would support sanctions despite their proven ineffectiveness.

I was however admittedly in A Mood and left out possibility 3) That they are simply misinformed as to how sanctions work and/or their overall effectiveness and are digging in their heels about it.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 27, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

The big question is how much bang for the buck defense companies will get in exchange for their lobbying & donations:

A rising tide "lifts all boats" in the defense industry is my new favorite nonsensical euphemism.

There's something sincerely disgusting about how cheerfully they go about it. Just total sociopath behavior, which while unsurprising is still gross.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Personally I think DeSantis is way more dangerous than Trump

He mostly avoids personally getting involved in controversial issues and leaves it to underlings. But he’s been able to accomplish most of his goals here in FL. The courts have blocked some of it, but a lot of it succeeded.

It mostly depends on who he's up against. The decorum-masked charisma black hole can only really thrive in a charismaless environment, but tends to fold immediately when faced with an opponent with any kind of personality(even if that personality is just "horrible little goblin")

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Surely this is just grift. She’s barely coherent at this point.

tbf that hasn't stopped most of congress

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

100% agreed. Any solution or ideology that dissolves the agency of individuals is doomed to fail. America sucks because Americans want it to suck in that way. The only progress comes from convincing a voting majority that something needs to be done about it as well as agree on what. :

Nobody is actually happy with how America is besides the ruling class, so more accurately America sucks because a few Americans want it to suck that way. And they have spent trillions of dollars and decades of effort to make people believe that's just the way things are, or it's all the minorities' fault, or anything really besides accurately assigning blame.

selec posted:

You can’t detect racism in how safety and home security is messaged in safe white neighborhoods, you think you can go after what most Americans perceive to be a monoethnic state without getting racist.

I think Dems can’t identify racism without someone they trust (Obama) telling them directly that this is a racist thing. This is a product of politics without ideology, a brand rather than a set of principles.

We have a long way to go as a country.

Culturally, people have absorbed the idea that Racism is Bad, but many don't really grasp what racism even is. Thus leading to our old friends "I'm not racist but" and "It's not racist If they don't look directly at the camera and say "I love racism""

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

It'll be interesting to see how extensively Obama campaigns on behalf of candidates this year, especially since Biden's been labeled as campaign poison by moderate Dems (speaking off the record, of course).

I wonder if Obama would still be a motivator for GOTV among youngs as he was during his presidency, given that the youth vote looks to be dropping off.

Obama only gets involved if there's a danger of good things happening, so it's unlikely he'll show up this year.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tldr version: Young people have been systematically neglected for so long that the shot-callers of a major political party need extremely simple political concepts, like "not taking votes for granted just because you got them once" and "people enjoy when you do things to help them", explained to them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Danny is a 47-year old realtor born in America.

In no reasonable world has a realtor been working 14-hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 20 years straight.

Making a ton of money and being insanely whiny about it are both staples of working in property sales/rental

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Are people seriously doing twexits over this?

eta: lol at the "twitter is a shithole, but it's been our shithole" sentiments I'm seeing online.

I guess the difference is that the new shithead is way more vocal about his awful takes than the previous one

His inevitable meltdown when buying twitter still gets him no respect from anyone will be incredible though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ Nah, meltdowns from tech bros aren't interesting in the least.

Twitter itself isn't unionized, in spite of @jack's undeserved reputation as a lefty.

Maybe Elon will spur a successful unionization.

Musk is more charlatan than tech bro, he eats poo poo publicly pretty often.

Remember his dumb cave tube? And when he called that rescue worker a pedophile for not using his dumb cave tube?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I remember when Musk proposed building tunnels under Miami.

Miami.

From what I've gathered the only thing Musk really wants is his own private subway. It's why he's so obsessed with tubes and tunnels and whatnot.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

The popularity of "Defund the police" is some "everyone loves the ACA but hates Obamacare" stuff. Everyone hates "Defund the police" since they assume the quiet part is "do nothing and let everyone die" but it's popular policy if it's presented as reform and changing the way public protection works.

Another important part of Defund The Police is that there's no weaseling around it. With something like "Reform" you can keep funneling money to the cops under the pretense of more training or whatever(this never works), but Defund The Police, under any possible interpretation, means that at the very least the cops are getting less money to terrorize people with.

This is why a ton of attacks are just directed at the "slogan" itself, and why it's still being attacked years later. The very notion of the shock troopers getting less money must be utterly stamped into the ground and erased.

Also some corporate dems used it as a scapegoat for 2020 losses, which probably didn't help.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The entire point of a slogan is to be understandable and persuasive to someone who's never heard anything more than the slogan. If the slogan requires explanation, that's on the same level as a politician on a debate stage telling people to go to hillaryclinton dot com for info on their policies.

There's unfortunately no real punchy way to say Defund The Police And Shift The Money To Poorly-Funded Social Services Rather Than State-Sponsored Terrorists, though.

I think they should've started at Abolish The Police and negotiated down from there, the left often makes the mistake of starting from the compromise position.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It is nothing short of amazing that a man who only speaks one sentence every five years somehow finds a way to say the absolute worst possible thing at the absolute worst possible time whenever he deigns to open his mouth.

I guess it explains why he never says anything.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Seems like a bad idea to defund law enforcement in the middle of a huge increase in murder.

Considering how many murders they commit, it seems like a good idea if you want murder to start going down.

Also, you still need to explain how that graph disproved the claim that defund rhetoric didn't cause that increase.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, I don't think it's making GBS threads on them. It's just a pretty sober and understanding statement from virtualcolorBOY that if the police are there keeping the Justices safe with no threat it's probably not going to change anyone's minds. And there's nothing factually incorrect about what Bishalyer said if you don't read it as a personal insult.

The protests are definitely good through and if people stay angry they will likely escalate, especially if the current safety they're feeling galvanizes people like Thomas to continue to act like a god king giving orders from the eternal tomb.

tbf The ruling class are generally extremely sensitive to even the most minor inconvenience since they've structured society in general so that it serves them exclusively.

Not saying it'll change things of course, vcB's point on that stands, but it is probably pissing them off immeasurably.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hopefully, the cops didn't take him to burger king before jail this time.

They made sure his pillows were extra fluffed and tucked him in goodnight before heading out to shoot someone's dog

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

At least our boys in blue justified their school presence, by immediately running away and hiding in their cars because guns are scary.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The two police engaged him before he went into the school and were both shot.

It was basically an ideal "good guy with a gun" scenario that didn't play out like the people who espouse that theory say it always will.

Were they shot or shot at? All I've seen is they "exchanged fire" after which they called in an APC full of cops to bravely stand around outside as children were being murdered.

Either way yes guns themselves did not particularly help much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

They were shot and injured. Doesn't say how seriously.

Thank you, the exact events are still kinda unclear.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Investigating Manchin and his family for their extremely open and obvious corruption isn't some dire overreach of power, it's what should be happening anyway

If you're gonna let corruption slide you might as well get something out of it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

This is how the US political system has always been, though. The practical impossibility of having more than two viable parties at the same time has traditionally forced both parties into being big-tent coalitions representing a wide variety of views.

The GOP's monofocus right now is the result of what is basically a populist revolt within the base, which conservative demagogues have been spending decades laying the groundwork for. The coalition has been tamed by very loud voter sentiment, reinforced by a media operation which ensures that even the slightest defiance will be noticed and draw a heated response. The different factions have all more or less fallen in line, with their continued differences papered over by the fact that they have to do very little actual governing - the GOP Senate can mostly sit around blocking any actual action, and leave the details of actually changing policy to the other two branches.

If the progressive voter base was even half as effective at overcoming the party's favored candidates as the GOP's fash wing is, the Democratic Party would be a very different organization.

There's only so much a voter base can do when their party will just say "lol no" if someone with actual values gets even remotely close to power

The GOP don't have to do this because their extremists are only a threat to the rabble, not Real People(aka the rich) so their donors won't throw a fit if the underdog wins.

e: Also GOP extremists are just GOP Normal without a filter, while progressives and centrists have directly clashing values.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 31, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Doubting the cops' story (which has changed multiple times over the past few days) isn't a conspiracy theory, jesus christ.

Didn't they get the ball rolling on this themselves by suddenly saying "we didn't shoot any kids" entirely unprompted?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao everyone is pissed off and has a bleak outlook for the future and this seems to be a nationwide outlook among everyone and the political class is completely unable to do anything about it. The PNW is the same way. Everything we won in the 2020 protests was just given away at the ballot box. Nothing mattered

Tbf this bleakness is exactly what the political class wants, the rabble will finally shut up and let Real People grift in peace. You owe them everything and they owe you nothing, as it should be.

Of course historically this kind of situation only ever ends in a lot of bloodshed, but if they were capable of learning anything whatsoever from history then we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I also think it's worth noting that THAT MANY crazy people showed up to support not just Donald Trump but honestly believe that the 2020 election results were rigged and stolen. Like REALLY believe it and think they are saving America for Jesus. It was quite an impressive display of a large number of totally delusional people living in a different world in their own reality who largely left all the guns they buy at home...this time.

You guys might read the FREEP thread from time to time maybe, and it's not entirely fringe right now. True believers walk the halls of government and are winning elections. They think that Donald J. Trump is a loving messiah. It's not a majority but it's more than I'm comfortable just laughing at. That's fun and all but I have never EVER seen a politician with the level of dedication that this rear end in a top hat brings out in people. And I'm 55 years old.

Name ONE other politician - who lost an election or otherwise - that has this many people flying huge loving flags from the back of their trucks or at the beach or a park. It's a loving cult, buoyed in supply side Christianity, backed by an alarming number of police, and it's bigger than I'd like no matter how stupid, silly or unbelievable it strikes me on the face of it or how ripe it is to make fun of. Could be just where i live and I'm sure that colors my perception of things a lot but probably the religious undertones of the whole thing is what disturbs me the most.

Nothing more dangerous than a large group of people who think that God is On Their Side and that they are doing his will. It's made worse knowing that DJT is the antithesis of Christ's teachings but they don't seem to think so.

It's more of an extension of right-wing thought than Trump himself, all Trump really did was give it a figurehead, tear down the curtain and start bellowing their ideology from a megaphone. It's taken decades of brainwashing and 24/7 directed propaganda to get the Republican base this unbelievably divorced from reality. It didn't suddenly start with Trump, he's just another step down that road.

The quasi-religious, and occasionally overtly religious, fervor has always been there too, as has flags being worshipped as a divine idols. The right have been conditioned to believe that they, the most ideologically pandered-to demographic in the world, are oppressed rebels fighting the system and are under constant assault from sinister forces. And as the con-men die off and true believers take their place this belief gets more and more overt and deranged.

Bishyaler posted:

Border agents just got a waiver to constitutional rights.

Fun fact: this apparently applies to within 100 miles of any U.S border, which given how U.S cities are concentrated means border patrol can do whatever they want to roughly 60% of the population

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who is going to enforce them? What punishment is going to be given for not obeying these precedents or norms? What punishment has been administered so far?

A big part of why Trump kept getting away with blatantly criminal poo poo is because a lot of checks and balances turned out to be precedents and norms, and while breaking them was extremely rude there was no actual punishment for doing so.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is a big part why it’s not going to work. I mean they don’t want to also establish that we go criminally after our political opponents. But all that’s doing is establishing that there is little to no consequence for attempting to end the transfer of power by the rules (however imperfect) of the system.

I mean people are being punished. Just not trump.

I think the only precedent that the ruling class care about not setting is "the ruling class can be punished for crimes", because then the public might think their elected officials aren't completely untouchable.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BRJurgis posted:

I don't disagree with any of this except the bolded part. I spoke with somebody recently whose take on things was basically "I live 'right' and it's all I can do, and our inevitable collapse and destruction of our climate and huge amounts of life on it are simply going to happen". I couldn't really disagree with him either!

But I want to loving fight, a lot of people do and there's no tangible clear enemy. I think that is at the roots of a huge part of our culture war and senseless violence. If we could convince people there was a way to fight, there's a whole bunch that would take pride in their lessened material conditions and especially those who already live that way somewhat. They often hate the democrats though! The way forward is somewhere after the dissolution of our status quo, our present systems. I'd rather talk about tearing it down than waiting for it to destroy itself. This is unsustainable, unconscionable, utterly captured and doomed.

People want to feel strong and powerful, independent. We're simply never going to get a critical mass of people on the same page as long as democrats and Republicans are how we understand our relation to power. Frankly it won't happen while our current systems and culture exist in their present state. If the great recession, trump, and covid didnt significantly change them, if this next great economic disaster won't (it won't), what will it take?

I guess I'm just screaming to hear us all say in unison "yes we're, as a country and a species, absolutely hosed until we can somehow spread commune energy to the masses." I know it's failed before, but it's more likely than any solution working through our system from my experience.

To the point of your post, absolutely yeah stop wondering how things will be fixed or preserved, and start doing it yourself. Just never shut the gently caress up about the dire situation we're in or the abandonment of our norms when you're talking to people. This isn't alarming because of the failure of democracy or our systems, it's alarming because the preservation of our "democracy" and systems just means a comfier ride to the end of the world.

I think the enemy is extremely clear and very tangible. They've also structured society entirely around convincing people it's not them, unfortunately.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bel Shazar posted:

A left-wing takeover of the democrats is unlikely given the lack of a meaningful mass of leftists in America.

We kinda need new Americans before that would work.

I think there's a potentially meaningful mass, but the system is designed so that they can't really try anything within it without being utterly shot down.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I think this is a bunch of excuses, and that an actually meaningful mass of leftists couldn't be excluded from political power so easily. If the left can't even handle the small petty tricks wielded by the decorum-loving Democrats, how the gently caress can they hope to beat the outright fascists who have decades of experience in voter suppression and intimidation? If the left is going to be that helpless, then they're hardly in any position to accuse the Dems of being bad at politics.

I bang this drum a lot here, but being able to turn out real numbers and massive support is crucial. Even straight-up military dictatorships that outright massacre protesters and dissidents en masse still find it extremely difficult to hold onto power in the face of a genuine mass movement.

Where do you think the fascists got that experience? The U.S government may be a total clownshow but if the ruling class gets spooked it suddenly becomes a precision clockwork mechanism when it comes to stomping down on the left.

e: You're right that a genuine mass movement is extremely hard to control, which is why the U.S has a whole toolbox of horrifying options that they regularly deploy to "discourage" leftism and stop that from happening.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 13, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Quick, let's ask people if they feel safe from the government at left wing protests. Oh they don't? Word, wonder if that impacts their willingness to protest.

It's not like protestors get stalked and dragged into unmarked vans by cops or anything

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

We're not even 5 years removed from helping install a fascist in Brazil thanks to a project that started with the help of the Obama DoJ lol

There was also the extremely embarrassing failed Venezuelan coup attempt

e: And Cuba. Just absolutely everything to do with Cuba.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

From the HUAC to the Cold War, the government did a spectacular job of making communism and any sort of leftist movement into a dirty word. That's all ended now, but leftists just can't catch a break.

The Black Panthers are one of the most tragic examples. The U.S went to loving war against them.