Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

GoutPatrol posted:

And another warning: if conversations end up going in circles for endless days we will start probating people based on the "being boring" rule. For example, if someone tries to take the wheel back to endless 2020 primary chat, they will be asked to make a new thread for it. I would suggest for that thread title "2020 primaries: Bloomberg Buddies" or "2020 Primaries: suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat with a straw".

Just to echo this, we'd like to enforce the D&D rules about low-content/white-noise posting and "being boring" a little more tightly for this iteration of thread. If you're posting something that is very well-trodden territory for this thread and forum or is simply a catchprase or cliche, you might catch a probe (most likely a warning first). Similarly if you're white noise posting you may get a time out.

In general, please stick to the general forums rule of posts that are "interesting, informative, or funny" with the added D&D qualifier of "contributing something new and furthering thread discussion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willa Rogers posted:

The Georgia Dems ran & won based on "elect a Dem Senate & we'll give you $2000, a higher minimum wage, lowered Medicare age and student-debt relief," none of which happened once they were elected.

eta: Not sure if referencing the long-ago electoral history of 15 months ago is against the thread rules, but it seems relevant to discussing current events (rather, lack thereof). Let me know if I need to edit it.

The "don't be boring / repetitive etc" rule is enforced pretty leniently if that's what you're referencing. We're not going to probe people on sight for posting about something that's been discussed at length previously, it's more to head off longer derails. Relitigating the 2020 primaries is a good example. Unless there's some new information or insights posters have to share, it's been covered quite thoroughly on these forums.

2020 primary discussion is not a banned topic. There are no banned topics. Just make sure if you're going to revisit well-trodden subjects that you're contributing something new and encouraging thread discussion.

Anyone is welcome to make new threads, of course, and we can sticky them for a couple weeks if that's helpful. If you want to start a thread retrospectively analyzing the 2020 primaries or whatever, go for it.

(I use the 2020 primaries here because it's a good clear example, not because it's #1 priority for moderation or whatever)

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

thehandtruck posted:

What a rotted and disgusting creature you are.

Okay this is probably a good post to remind people itt that D&D :decorum: rules remain in effect and you're welcome to take a posting break if you feel the need to aggressively or passive-aggressively snipe at each other.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Jaxyon posted:

Worth noting that poster is threadbanned but somehow half a dozen mods and idiot kings let them post 3 full pages in the previous thread including IKs replying to their posts.

They were in the top 25 posters in that thread. They were banned from it in September of last year, 4 months before that iteration even was created.

I did a double take when I read the probation reason, because I couldn't imagine how that poster was threadbanned.

And that's why I'm posting here instead of DMing this.

Unfortunately there's no good centralized way to keep track of thread/forumbans so mods often don't notice until it's pointed out. Or well, we have a list now, but we have to manually check usernames against a list so things still slip by.

PeterCat has a standing threadban even if it was not previously enforced. They are welcome to appeal that by PMing Koos Group. If you or someone else would like to PM Koos to support having their threadban overturned, by all means.

edit: oops, threadban. Not forumban.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 22, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why a thread ban and not just a ban? If Someone is posting poorly then enforcing the rules seems like the right answer . Why carve out exceptions.

That was last September so I dunno the details. Also this is not really the thread for discussing moderation. What I will do is make a note in the mod forum and ask Koos to take a look, if you believe PeterCat's posting warrants <action> then contact Koos or a mod of your choice about it.

Generally thread and forumbans are used when posters are problematic in a specific thread/subforum but fine elsewhere.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people here hate Lee Carter now? Why is he an “rear end in a top hat”?

Yeah same here. Knowing they did a minimum wage increase sounds significant to me.

Not a Virginian but iirc he's way too online and spent a lot of time getting into Twitter beefs, late-night tweeting about his previous marriage, stuff like that.

And as mentioned he pissed off a lot of the activists, labor unions, and DSA that got him elected by trying to force a vote in the VA legislature. Many groups viewed it as a stunt that put optics ahead of actual policy during a period when Dems were pushing through a lot of pretty good stuff.

edit: and yeah he tried to run for Governor and at that point didn't have much support, lost reelection.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's very telling how mad liberals get about Lee Carter and how badly they're able to explain why in any other way than 'He didn't follow the ruuuuuuules!'

What is it telling of?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a thread I can read that has posters turning on Lee Carter?

Is there evidence that half of his own supporters hate him?

Goon commentary on Lee Carter would mostly be here in the local politics thread which is largely dead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873661

Keep in mind the general D&D rule to avoid repeating discussions that have been thoroughly covered several times before. This thread started discussion of Lee Carter following Willa Rogers posting an article about how McAuliffe lost the Virginia gubernatorial race in part because of a drop in youth turnout: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3997306&pagenumber=7&perpage=40&highlight=carter#post522322357

If we are going to continue to discuss Lee Carter's political career please make sure it is relevant to current events and/or is fresh information or analysis rather than just rehashing.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

Yeah, same. What women are accusing Carter of anything?

e: oh no a horse snuck in while I was posting

The rule about repeating arguments/discussion is enforced leniently. If someone has info about people directly alleging abuse by Carter (or if it's purely secondhand/gossip) by all means share it. It would be good to have a clear answer for that line of discussion.

I suppose I'm requesting folks get in any final comments re: Lee Carter and pivot back to current events unless there's new information. If there's something new about Lee Carter by all means discuss it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ You keep mentioning how baffled you are that "unions have dropped him" and you've been saying so for months. Have you delved into which particular unions, and their stated reasons? (His staff was the first to unionize in Virginia among pols, btw.)

:confused:

I'm not sure whether what I posted doesn't hew to your framework of current events (student-loan forbearance) or new information (a study about the VA drop in younger voters) or you're just mentioning it as an aside.

If it's the former, please clarify, since I've laid out why I think it was relevant to this thread & followed your framework.

Bit of a late reply, but the latter. You posted about McAuliffe polling, youth vote, and student loans. The general behavior of Virginia Dems was mentioned and then this began discussion of Lee Carter.

The reason I brought up your post was to circle back to what originally started discussion of Lee Carter--it was a tangent from your post on McAuliffe and student loans. I wanted people to wrap up discussion of Carter with any final thoughts or information that haven't been covered and return to the initial point of derail (if they want). Your post was completely within bounds and I wasn't calling it out, it was just the point where discussion of Carter branched off.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The Ukrainian-Canadian population is not a monolith. A couple of the (Canadian) CSPAM mods have mentioned that Ukrainian immigrants played important roles in the labor movement in Canada and a chunk are/were pretty left-wing. There is of course a large Ukrainian nationalist segment which has ties to the Ukrainian far-right and Banderite elements. It's important however not to generalize support of SS Galizien monuments and Azov battalion to the entire Canadian diaspora.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hi everyone, we discussed mod feedback threads and Koos Group would like to try and have one roughly quarterly (every 3mo). Since our last feedback thread was end of Jan, that means we will plan to do another one end of April.

If you have questions, comments, suggestions, complaints etc in the meantime feel free to PM a mod of your choice. Or if you think it warrants a QCS thread, there's always that option.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Kristi Noem is 100% going to run for VP and imo has a very good shot at it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Some positive budget news for Indian Country-

https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/president-biden-requests-historic-increase-in-bia-budget

quote:

The White House reports that it will direct $18.1 billion to the Department of Interior (DOI), an increase of $2.9 billion, or 19 percent, from the fiscal year 2022. The request for the DOI’s Indian Affairs programs is $4.5 billion, a $1.1 billion increase above the 2021 enacted level. This includes $2.8 billion for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, $1.6 billion for the Bureau of Indian Education, and $112.7 million for the Bureau of Trust Funds Administration.

The 2023 budget request includes increased funding for many critical issues in Indian Country, including $562.1 million for public safety and justice operations under the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). There are also funds for social services to Indian families, supporting Indian land consolidation, and empowering Tribal communities.

The proposed budget includes funding that supports the expanding Tribal needs in policing, detention, and Tribal courts resulting from the McGirt v. Oklahoma Supreme Court decision, and builds Tribal law enforcement, corrections, and courts operations and construction capacity nationwide. This includes $282.4 million for police services, $127 million for operating its Detention and Corrections programs, and $52.7 million to support Tribal Courts–and it includes $10 million to support an agency wide initiative to equip all Interior-funded law enforcement officers with body-worn cameras.

Interior Sec Haaland has been consulting directly with tribes and having an indigenous person in charge of Interior is hugely helpful in building better working relations. The additional funding for BIE and IHS are especially helpful since most funding for education and health in Indian Country is from those federal programs.

The additional funding for Tribal police and courts is also badly needed. Tribal cops are almost universally required to be local tribal members themselves so there's less racialized police violence than typical for American cops. Tribal police and courts are chronically underfunded to the point that resources are triaged--a lot of domestic violence (as an example) doesn't get responded to because police are too busy dealing with other things. The court systems have huge delays because there aren't enough public defenders and judges so there's a backlog of people sitting in jails waiting for a court date. Stuff like that.

edit: of course this is a wish list and not necessarily what will end up passing Congress.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Bishyaler posted:

This appears to be another issue of trying to solve crime by pouring more money into law enforcement. The Tribal justice system may be overburdened, but having an apartheid-esque system with enforced, generational abject poverty is probably creating more issues than any amount of law enforcement funding can solve.

Dept of Interior programs fund healthcare (IHS), education including through college (BIE), a wide variety of infrastructure, housing, and economic development (BIA) as well as directly supplying commodity foods (though that's FDPIR under USDA and not DoI).

Yes, increasing funding for law enforcement doesn't address the underlying issues, however the proposed budget would also greatly increase funding to the above.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Jaxyon posted:

The Red Dawn remake is now current events? Did I miss something?

see thread title

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lib and let die posted:

If you were to stand outside a correctional facility and ask a freshly released returning citizen what their top three priorities are at this very moment, do you think the Ukraine/Russia conflict would even break the top 3?

how is this a relevant hypothetical? It might be more productive to argue why you think it's not a big deal than appealing to what we think people freshly released might believe.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
If you can't participate in this discussion without insinuating posters you disagree with are fascists etc that's a good sign it's going nowhere productive. Considering this thread has generated about twenty reports so far today and the arguments don't appear to be going anywhere in particular, it's probably time to wrap it up and move onto something more concretely related to current events instead of broad ideological arguments, sniping, and gotchas.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Going to quote myself from yesterday afternoon. If posters would rather spend their Sunday afternoon arguing broad ideology and hypotheticals about US balkanization instead of current events, fine I guess. As long as it doesn't devolve into sniping, gotchas, insinuations that people who disagree with you are fascists etc. Thanks.

Fritz the Horse posted:

If you can't participate in this discussion without insinuating posters you disagree with are fascists etc that's a good sign it's going nowhere productive. Considering this thread has generated about twenty reports so far today and the arguments don't appear to be going anywhere in particular, it's probably time to wrap it up and move onto something more concretely related to current events instead of broad ideological arguments, sniping, and gotchas.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

those "suggestive" messages read to me like really stupid edgelord bro "humor"

e: also they're from 2018

Seems like they're desperate to smear Cawthorn, I assume his comments about coke-fueled parties and lingerie pics at da club are undermining their culture war bullshit.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 29, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hi all, understandably there were a ton of posts and reports overnight including some stuff that's probably going to eat probations when we have a chance to process all the reports.

This is just a reminder that D&D rules still apply and as Koos announced yesterday we'll be issuing longer probations itt for folks that have already earned multiple probations here this year.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

you should probably give the last 24 hours a bit of a lighter hand due to the high emotions.

That's kind of what I was intending to communicate. Koos Group announced longer probations around the same time the Roe news came out, I don't think it's the intention for that to apply to the overnight discussion necessarily.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

ozmunkeh posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit?

it's a troll by a likely rereg account

edit: and I guess I should have clarified in the probe text but that's a placeholder.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 4, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

A big flaming stink posted:

You going to ban it, then, or do we need to give them the assumption of good faith?

they're a rereg of a permabanned user, case closed

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The Cawthorn video is making the rounds on Twitter, it's not particularly explicit (other than man rear end) but my 2c. The actual link doesn't need posted here.

Looks like a hotel room couch with a wheelchair beside it, whoever is filming is across the room on a different bed. A naked man (presumably Cawthorn) starts humping pillows while making high-pitched noises and then weird grunts. The pillow humping pushes him on top of another (sleeping?) man, who wakes up and he and the camera person say "your dick is in his face" and "your rear end is in my face" or similar. They laugh, end clip.

It's pretty clearly some weird juvenile "bro" rough-housing. It's certainly plausible that Cawthorn is weird about personal space and nudity but that definitely ain't gay sex or evidence that he's had some romantic/sexual relationship with his male aide.

e:

Nonsense posted:

There is a decent cover of Hooked on a Feeling within it!

lol that's what the weird grunting is!

Seems like stupid homoerotic maybe hungover rough-housing.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Quorum posted:

Now, that's not entirely fair. Sometimes he tops.

Ehhhh I'm gonna ask people to back off the gay jokes. Nobody here should care if he's gay or bi and it's kinda casual homophobia to mock Cawthorn or Lindsey Graham or whoever for being a closet case etc even if they're bigoted hypocrites. It's something mods have acted on in the past and I dunno where it falls under current D&D policy but it's something I think should at least be discouraged.

imo what's actually concerning is his behavior might be sexual harassment or assault. That's not what the GOP is gonna smear him with but that seems more likely the case.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Quorum posted:

I'm gay myself and enjoying the schadenfreude of a garbage dude experiencing one tenth of the poo poo he's heaped on people like me, but I'll back off.

Yeah I'm a queer guy horse as well. I appreciate the schadenfreude too and am not looking to defend fascist boy wonder, I just think it's better to mock and get angry at people for the bad things they do rather than maybe being a closeted queer person, overweight, etc.

You might also reframe it as not buying into the inevitable GOP attacks and instead focusing on the stuff Cawthorn has actually done. He's not a piece of poo poo for maybe being closeted, he's a piece of poo poo for possibly abusing his aide(s) with unwanted sexual conduct among a whole host of other things.

I realize there's a whole big discussion about whether it's appropriate to out closeted bigots and turn their sexuality into an attack on them, I'm not really trying to get into that. Just expressing my opinion.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

LionArcher posted:

Is there a feedback thread for mods back up yet? Because we’ve got another mod banning people in c-spam for basic reading comprehension issues (on the mods end).

That’s the kindest way of wording it btw.

Uh oh! If D&D mods are banning people in CSPAM that is a pretty serious problem, yes. I'll alert Koos. Thanks!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
holy poo poo knock off the low content shitposting and sniping, thanks

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

hooman posted:

Can you please explain how 2 of these are probe worthy but the first isn't?
I'm struggling to understand the difference in the content of these posts.

The Sean's post was after my warning when I was able to start keeping an eye on the thread. There were a whole bunch of low-content posts prior to my warning, I didn't have time to comb through all of them so just issued that blanket statement. There are close to 30 reports today just from this thread and they haven't all been processed, this thread generates a huge volume of reports.

The Mellow Seas post you quote is actionable, yes, and there's a report for it buried in a dozen or so other unresolved ones.

So the short answer to your question is the first is certainly probe worthy but the forums janitors haven't gotten around to it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Reminder to please avoid shitposting and sniping at each other. If you've caught probations for similar recently, that starts at a day.

BonoMan posted:

Oh snap I got some red text. From just a few minutes ago? Is there a way to find out?

No. Also congrats

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
goddamit

Fritz the Horse posted:

Reminder to please avoid shitposting and sniping at each other. If you've caught probations for similar recently, that starts at a day.

that's enough Dragonball Z derail unless you wanna roll the dice on being particularly funny and/or insightful

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
less shitposting / low content stuff please

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's probably about time to wrap up the Ukraine derail. It's not directly linked to any specific current events and is a broader ideological-ethical-moral discussion the substance of which is not really covering new ground for D&D, plus we have a dedicated Ukraine/Russia thread already.

If you don't like the rules and thread culture of the main Ukraine/Russia thread, you're welcome to resurrect the ClancyChat thread which is somewhat related (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995624) or start a new one.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
d&d mods do not approve of any dog piles, gish gallops, or posting stampedes

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
In all seriousness if you feel someone is being unfairly dogpiled then report it as such and we'll have a look.

Also I see CommieGIR posted a midterm elections thread and I didn't notice him mentioining it itt: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002330

We're not chasing all midterm discussion out of this CE thread at the moment but might if/when it gets really busy.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
We're not gonna do a "TFR must be deleted" derail. Just like with complaints about CSPAM, the D&D mods have no influence on TFR and griping here accomplishes nothing other than making GBS threads up this thread. There are plenty of US Current Events to post about. If you have issues with other subforums of SA, take it to QCS or admins.

Yes, the admins and Jeff actually do read QCS and have the power to take action if they think it's warranted. D&D mods do not.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Epicurius posted:

Regardless of what form of excrement Governor Abbot is (and I would have said horse), the guy making the claim makes a bunch of claims on his Twitter account that, if they're all true, this guy has a very usual biography. He's not that reliable a source.

excuse me?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Interesting bit of research on armed security or resource officers in schools https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2776515

quote:

A 2021 JAMA Network study conducted by researchers at Hamline University and Metropolitan State University in Minnesota examined a total of 133 school shootings and attempted school shootings from 1980 to 2019.

It was limited by the availability of public data and the inability to measure deterred shootings, among other factors, but researchers found that, controlling for other factors such as location, school type and region, the data showed "armed guards were not associated with significant reduction in rates of injuries" during school mass shootings.

Further, when researchers controlled for location and school characteristic factors, "the rate of deaths was 2.83 times greater (emphasis added) in schools with an armed guard present.

It turns out that having armed staff in schools might actually increase rates of deaths from school shootings. Why? Because someone who is planning a school shooting has already decided their life is over, and many want to suicide by cop rather than be captured and end up in jail.

quote:

The well-documented weapons effect explains that the presence of a weapon increases aggression.6 Whenever firearms are present, there is room for error, and even highly trained officers get split-second decisions wrong. Prior research suggests that many school shooters are actively suicidal, intending to die in the act, so an armed officer may be an incentive rather than a deterrent.4 The majority of shooters who target schools are students of the school, calling into question the effectiveness of hardened security and active shooter drills. Instead, schools must invest in resources to prevent shootings before they occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cease to Hope posted:

i genuinely cannot parse the arguments being made here. nazis, therefore ???

i don't think the same old american "COME AND TAKE THEM" insurgent fantasy is any more realistic when it's wearing a red star, but these nazi arguments seem completely incoherent

Bathtub Cheese brought up the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising to imply people disagreeing with them (Gripweed posted about the futility of confronting a fascist gov't with small arms) would've sided with the Nazis.

edit: they might've been referencing removal to the Warsaw ghetto and not the Uprising which was action against moving people from the ghetto to death camps.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I keep imagining you giving this preening lecture to people about to be forcibly removed to the Warsaw ghetto. It's the easiest way to realize you're on the side of the Nazis.

Then Main Paineframe responded to the above.

The discussion over the last few pages has largely revolved around gun ownership by leftists and whether it's justified for 1) personal/community defense and 2) confronting fascist groups or government. Most of the latter involves an awful lot of hypotheticals and hand-waving, the Nazis are a relevant historical example.

I'd kinda prefer if the discussion was more rooted in history rather than pure speculation and hypotheticals but I'm not issuing a mod ruling unless/until it gets really out of hand.

Also, as Koos and I believe EHF have mentioned, it would be cool if someone was interested in starting a gun control thread.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 28, 2022