Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

PeterCat posted:

The Ukrainians are being paroled into the US as refugees, this means that they are given a set period of time to be in the US before they have to apply for admission, which is the term for being legally allowed to be in the United States, versus entry, which is being physically present in the US.

That being said, were you aware that most of the Haitians picked up at Del Rio were allowed to stay in the United States? And that President Biden gave temporary protected status to over 100,000 Haitians last July?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-mayorkas-joins-white-house-briefing-amid-scrutiny-of-u-s-treatment-of-haitian-migrants

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/08/03/2021-16481/designation-of-haiti-for-temporary-protected-status

Hey, did you see this post from last thread?

shimmy shimmy posted:

Hang on, Jayxon didn't say they whipped them. He said they were horseback cops with whips, which is also what the article says. Or am I misunderstanding something?

More details on the click-through since I can't figure out how to reproduce the post with the links in this thread, but I was wondering if I was misunderstanding something about the situation you were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

It's not wild at all. Transgender women are the powerless group they can be performatively cruel to. They'll keep pushing it as long as it plays, and oh boy do conservatives love this issue. They cannot get enough of making fun of transgender women.

They also get the TERFs so it can be bipartisan performative hate.

That lady just wanted to compete in swimming and now she's going to live the next few years in constant fear so that some thumb-shaped walking bowtie can get votes.

poo poo's pretty hosed but it would be amusing in a very mean way to see a trans man absolutely dominate their sport instead. granted, that means subjecting that poor trans man to what i'm sure is going to be some insane levels of cruelty, but nobody ever ever ever seems to remember you can be trans in more than one direction.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

She was beaten in the 100 by a transgender man(competing in the women's category) who did significantly better than her and came in 7th I believe. She came in last.

But nobody seems to even be aware that happened because transgender hate is 100% about homophobia and misogyny.

To be honest I haven't looked into the details of any of it since it gets too depressing/infuriating for me as a trans woman, but yeah, not surprised.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Willa Rogers posted:

The big question is how much bang for the buck defense companies will get in exchange for their lobbying & donations:

A rising tide "lifts all boats" in the defense industry is my new favorite nonsensical euphemism.

Isn't that a JFK analogy?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The current complaints from the minority who oppose it are:

- They don't have a rule to define what counts as a "small state" and they need small states for the first five because it is cheaper to campaign and doesn't overly advantage campaigns with money. They are trying to come up with a definition that covers geography and level of expense required to run a campaign, but haven't been able to come to an objective definition yet. Minnesota is cheap to run in, but not geographically small. New Jersey is geographically small, but extremely expensive to run in. So, what qualifies as a "small" state?

- Iowa, NH, Nevada, and South Carolina all argue that they produce strong candidates/focus on certain demographics and a "diverse" state like New Jersey might have a large black and Hispanic population, but it doesn't portray the black vote or Hispanic vote in a decisive way like South Carolina or Nevada do. So, a diverse state requirement might actually dillute the power of the black and Hispanic vote in a way.

- Caucuses are tradition and primaries don't have the bonding/organizing/learning potential of sitting around for 3 hours and making your case to voters whose candidates fall below the viability threshold. Caucuses also require 3 hours of time commitment and organization, so they reward people invested in a way that.

- Encouraging more states to vote in blocks takes the special status and attention away from states. If you are one of two states voting on that day, then you get tons of focus for a week or two, but if you are one of 6 states voting that day, then you get less attention.

- All the "more experienced" state parties and organizers are Iowa, NH, NV, and SC. Some states (cough, Florida and Alabama, cough) have disasters of state parties and local political talent/experience. So, they might not be as "good" at hosting an early primary as the other states with more "experience" or candidates will hire outside political directors to do work in the state instead of hiring long-term local talent like they do in Iowa, NH, NV, and SC.

- There's no rules for how long a state can be on or off the early list. What if some states are just never on the early list because they never fit?

This one seems especially hilarious considering Iowa 2020.