Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Parramatta Road is already full of choke points where the few Right turns are for east bound traffic and the whole inner west becomes a complete grid lock for about an hour or two at the peaks.

The problem is that the jobs are not where people live. Theres no simple solution that problem because its housing affordability, planning, transport and a bunch of other poo poo all rolled into one so nothing will ever be done to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Artificial Kid posted:

Except when everyone was allowed to work from home.

no one is allowed to work from home because there is commercial landlords starving.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hawaiian_robot posted:

Tasmania, every single month

The OP said previously that they sometimes re-roll to get good tassies, iirc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the fan theory is the usual 'recession is coming, let labor win the election, look bad for the recession and then attack em come next election'

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

in hospitality venues its usually the server room where people go to gently caress/cry pray.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's a few other suburbs in Syd/Mel that have the same problem, here's another one:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-30/marsden-park-traffic-congestion-development-nightmare/12929584

Can't wait for marrickville to get 300+ new apartments in the next 12 months in an area that already is congested as gently caress with traffic at peak hour.

The street it's being built on is literally wide enough for 2 cars only. If there's cars parked on the street, it's wide enough for 1 car.

But hey corruption is king and cheaper than building the infrastructure to support all those new residents.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

remember when labor were a shoe in for the 2019 election? lol

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

froglet posted:

Sounds like perhaps they need to not build much parking and sell/lease the apartments with the explicit knowledge that you will not be provided space to store a car if you live there?

Like I know this isn't a super popular option but maybe houses without houses for cars should be an option offered to people these days?

this is perhaps even more wishful thinking than a labor win.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Genuine question from someone who doesnt know much about it - what is the percentage of the australian population that identifies as trans?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not trying to stir poo poo up or piss anyone off, i really dont know much about this kind of thing and I dont know a good way to get these kind of answers besides asking people that know more about it than I do.

so on the surface, to me, 'men cant have babies' is a true statement - they can father children with a woman who carries the baby but they cant have them, in the baby-inside-them sense.

when it comes to trans people having babies, i am assuming that someone that has transitioned from male to female to the point of being able to carry a baby to term (if thats even a thing? i have no idea) would in fact identify as and be a woman?

or, is the 'men cant have babies' thing more about women who identify as males, and have not undergone transition and still have all the plumbing for birthing a child? (typing both out, this seems like the more likely scenario)

just to make it clear I am not arguing against trans rights or anything, I just dont understand why this statement is such a big deal (not because it isnt a big deal, just because im not sure what the actual context behind it is)

'men cant have babies' is vague enough that any boomer brain that sees it is immediately going to culture-war it as 'trans rights' poo poo will go 'bloody oath, good on you albo' and scroll on, which I imagine is the point of it. Maybe im giving them too much credit?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thank you for the trans-splaining everyone. I'll try to use the correct terms now that I understand it better.

I really don't understand why anyone gives a gently caress what people do with or birth from their junk but I guess when you're retired and have a brain full of lead you gotta get mad at something

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this is all well and good but absolutely lol if you think a lebanese bloke is getting elected in the loving shire.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

woofbro posted:

It’s the next in the line of minorities they’re going to march out for political benefit.

Albo answers men can’t have babies to a dumb question from Daily Tele, is then headlined. News.com.au runs the headline saying check out this transphobic loser! Surely a reader with a progressive tilt would see sensationalised journalism for what it is then target Murdoch for poo poo journalism but nah.

Trans allies on Twitter are still running with Albo being a major transphobe alongside others like JK Rowling. He’ll appear on Kyle and Jackie-o and they’ll bring it up in interview, while also saying they’ll be voting Scott Morrison without asking his opinion of transgendered people.

IMO He was going to lose out if he said yes, a lot of people really believe in gender binary and see identity as a social or well-being disorder. ALP need to pull whatever minority of swing voters from LNP over, hopefully vocal trans activists still preference Labor over LNP after Greens or other.

He really needed a smarter response than yes/no.

well this goes back to my first question - the percentage of the australian population that identify as trans. if it is around 0.5%, that is a vanishingly small part of the population, and more than likely an entirely calculated and considered response.

Trans people arent going to to be voting labor anyway, they're voting for the greens who actually give a gently caress about them or other progressive parties. labor can afford to lose 0.5% of voters to keep the other (pure guess here) 30% of people that feel incredibly passionate about making already marginalised people feel worse that might swing on this single issue.

i dont like to say that, but its probably why.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Allstone posted:

The actual political calculation should consider the broader number of people that know and like a trans person, as well as the effects of legitimising a new avenue of culture war. Any yes/no answer was always going to be a losing proposition. I think 30% of the population caring at all about this particular issue before a month ago is a vast overestimate - it wasn't an issue before people started trying to make it an issue.

I was mostly thinking about religious/boomers/gender=binary/I identify as an attack helicopter types, but you're right that its probably not 30%.

My point is its one of those things that could open a can of worms and potentially if the signal to noise ratio got loud enough it would start to push a larger than 0.5% (plus allies/sympathizers) away from voting labor, which in this media landscape isnt entirely unheard of (see also: franking credits in the 2019 election)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Labor have been in the news for the last 4 days basically non stop because Albo didnt know the cash rate or the unemployment rate.

They get coverage when they make mistakes and thats it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

like ozbargain forums and whirlpool are both lit up with how bad albo is for not being able to recall these two numbers.

i know they are not the best example of the australian population but it was literally the first topic of discussion on the ozbargain main page underneath all the deals.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"During a wide-ranging press conference in the Hunter, Anthony Albanese was grilled on how Labor would manage any resurgence of the people-smuggling trade."

lol

e: picturing a bunch of people smugglers salivating at the idea of a labor government and getting very worried so i vote 1 LNP

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just registered as an Overseas voter, and the website says that they will send me my ballots sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Also the embassy says that I can either post them back to the AEC, or if I post them to the Embassy in Tokyo, that would also count.

The last times I have been overseas for an Election I either got fined for non voting, or I managed to weasel out of it by claiming an excuse, (i.e. I live and work in bumfuck South Korea, it was too hard for me to make it to the embassy to vote.)

This will be my first time doing it this way.

Hooray for international democracy!

probably a bit too long for the democracy snag to still be safe to eat when you get it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not defending morrison but lol how the gently caress is the Prime Minister on a salary of like 350k a year excluding all the perks, benefits and tax loopholes on his private investments etc ever going to possibly be able to relate to literally anyone that is not the same as him

expecting any politician to understand that womans situation is setting yourself up for disappointment. even with an autistic kid, Scummo wouldnt have anywhere near the difficulties she experiences.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my friend lives in the inner city of Sydney and has several competition pistols and about 6 rifles. All of them legal/registered, but yeah. lotsa guns out there.

he is one of about 6 guys i know with guns.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

we should argue about the purpose of the female woman question for another 5 or 6 pages I reckon we are near an answer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had a mate say 'i wish there was a centrist party for the middle class/working class' and i said 'you mean labor?' and he said 'what? those commie fucks? are you stupid? may as well vote greens!'

we're doomed y'all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hes also a pretty regular joe aussie which is why I said we're doomed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

She’s not the full Yuan is she

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You're giving him too much credit. hes a loving moron.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone know what the gently caress is going on in Ballarat? There is some Hyper Intense cop presence, stopping anyone and everyone on the street with full authority to search persons/bags for anything illegal without a warrant.

my friend lives there and hes shown me some FB screenshots of tradies getting stopped on their way home and getting searched.

what the gently caress the purpose is, is totally missing from all the info on facebook.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dr_rat posted:

So the ballart courier has an article about it, but when I tried to open it, it just gave me the first sentence and a shitload of ads. Something about police operation to search for weapons. Possibly you'll have more luck :shrug:
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/7736686/major-police-operation-in-ballarat-cbd-today/

yeah I cant get around the paywall. tried everything except going around my pi-hole because i cant be arsed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DRINK ME posted:

There is a search everyone order in effect for twelve hours, per the declaration on this twit account I follow

https://twitter.com/vicpol_searches/status/1524245424814829568

Is there anything that justifies this? they're stopping literally anyone with a bag according to my mate. hes just walking around filming everything from a distance in case something gets weird.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Wow! A knife within the first hour and a missing person! How many pissed off people did they find?

really grabbing at straws throwing the disoriented old person with dementia in to justify it. Its not like it was going to be a kidnapped child or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Get someone to apply 2019 herding to 2022 polling data I wanna see what that looks like

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wasn't there already some super for first home thing going on since last election? Like putting more into your super to get decent interest and then you could pull 30k or something tax free?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

glasnost toyboy posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't achieve much and take up was minuscule.

Probably because no one has any spare money because wages haven't moved in a decade but hey what do I know I just can't afford to save for a house.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Also Muffin Break: https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/muffin-break-boss-millennials-unpaid-work/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Nice!

Which electorate/candidate? I only ever hear about this stuff second hand; I wish they would tell me when they use it! I wanna see! It makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

I live overseas and elections in particular make me feel homesick and disconnected. Hearing/seeing that Dennis and Ken are doing the rounds makes up somewhat for all the volunteering I can't do and sausages I can't eat. (Although I actually ordered some proper sausages especially this week, so I can have a democracy snag at home. Must remember to buy bread on Friday.)

I used it to explain to my mate that he didnt have to vote Teal 1 Labor 2 Greens 3 to successfully oust the Lib in his seat (something like 100 votes between them last election) and he is now voting Lab 1 Teal 2

I mean its not perfect but its a start.

Actually, is it on Instagram as a multi-image post? that would really help spread it far and wide.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Done:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdqzVlNFflK/

Other people have posted it too, previously, but now it's 'official' if you like.

And here's the Senate one, which I posted a while ago in LEETLE CUBES:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOjhXshwoB/

Thanks for this. i know a lot of people on here dont use social media but getting this on a few of the bigger local meme pages could really help people understand that you can still vote greens AND give your vote to labor. so many friends argue with me to the bitter end that voting GRN1 LAB2 or some other brand doesnt work because its 'not a whole vote' or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eagerly awaiting raptorfags response to the new government.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

So like what kind of corruption are we talking about here? Im mostly only aware of the sex scandal stuff and like ScoMo going to like Hawaii during the floods and fires.

All of Angus Taylor's dealings

The badgerys creek airport land buy back value thing

Cotton farm watergate

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

looking forward to a slightly less embarrassing, slightly less disappointing government.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Grouchio posted:

What's the immediate agenda for Australia's new Premier? Reverse all the anti-climate bullshit? Reopen international tourism? Fix that godamn slow internet?

what year are you posting from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anybody here regularly apply for/review Government/public sector job applications?

I've got an interview next week and I have to do one of those Selection Criteria type questions. Wouldnt mind some feedback before I send it off.

will give you a forums gift card for :10bux: for your trouble.