Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

krooslove posted:

This thread never improved.

This thread is doing a good job of demonstrating the central thesis that emerged on the first page: essentially all criticism of transgender athletes in sport is motivated by hate/politics rather than anything to do with equity or fairness in sport. Shame mods aren't faster on the draw, but is anyone surprised the bigots are throwing themselves at this thread?

abigserve posted:

Trans women are women so they should be allowed to compete in women's sports. What a truly astounding conclusion

Some people have a biological advantage in sport and that's just the way it fuckin goes. You don't see anyone pushing to ban Serena Williams from playing tennis just because she can hit a tennis ball far harder than the other women do you? Maybe you do, who fuckin knows

I really dislike the comparison of transgender athletes to natural variation in cis athletes because I think it thoroughly misses the point in every way, and it implies that MtF athletes statistically have a biological advantage, which they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Victar posted:

To the best of my knowledge, ALL competitive sports either completely exclude trans women, or have strict requirements that trans women must adhere to before they can compete. I posted the Olympic guidelines for trans women athletes earlier (they're on Wikipedia). Other competitive/professional sports leagues have various requirements about testosterone levels or time spent living as a woman, stuff like that.

No trans girl/woman can start playing a sport *competitively* on their first day of taking female hormones. It just isn't allowed when money is at stake. If anyone can find an exception to this then I guess post your evidence, but in such an unlikely case, know that you're posting an extreme outlier situation.

These are also politically motivated guidelines and have largely emerged from the total disaster shitshow that was the Caster Semenya case. For the most part, it likely won't even matter at the highest level. However, most trans athletes at that level are willing to go through the nonsense and meet whatever "standards" get cooked up, just to shut people up about it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Its the same, tired story: Nearly all gender divisions in sports is about "We can't have A GIRL showing up our top male athletes/chess players/shooters/etc."

Its almost entirely misogyny wrapped up in statistical gamesmanship about "Natural advantages"

That's not really true. For skill sports, I'm sure there's a bunch of additional nonsense. In many sports elite women just straight-up can not compete for the podium with elite men, so the gender division provides a competitive field. The women's world record marathon is 2:14:04, and that time was 23nd overall in the race in which it was set.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The entire reason sports became the popular new place for transphobes to dig in is because it's one of the only places where segregation by sex actually has a decent reason to exist, so it paints a supposedly-logical veneer over transphobia. The bathroom bill garbage didn't hold up because being able to choose your bathroom so obviously affects nobody, and liberal areas responded with the realization that segregated bathrooms are stupid to begin with. There's a reason to maintain women's sports, so the transphobes get to have their argument over the definition of woman while pretending it's about equity.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

your follow-ups are great but let's chill on the "WHITE WOMAN" vs "MISCELLANEOUS" joke posts because it's actually insulting to everyone. I follow pro running closely and I did not think you were going that direction with it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PT6A posted:

Here's a question: are there are biological conditions/traits that a man could have, that would be judged to give such an advantage in a sport that they are simply banned from competition in the issue of fairness? If such a condition were found, such that men with the condition were 1700 times over-represented in a certain competition, would that be unfair?

Men's sport is an open category. If you're against categories entirely, then just say so, but then that's a different debate. Manute Bol being 7'7" or Michael Phelps having a mutant wingspan isn't really relevant here, it's whether there exists an advantage that takes you out of a category.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PT6A posted:

Yeah, for what it's worth: Caster Semenya holds no world records, in any event. This woman, who is apparently simply too good to be allowed, has been bested by another woman in every event she contests.

I don't think you can reasonably call that an advantage that is so overpowering that it simply cannot be allowed. She is very good as what she does, and as a result she is extremely difficult to defeat. Well, that's elite sport for you!

Right, and this is the reason this "debate" is so absurd. People see a woman performing well, who happens to be intersex, and presume that is the sole reason she is performing as she is. And this is what is happening regularly with every single MtF athlete who performs well. It's a fallacy.

Men's and women's divisions exist in running because elite men are statistically separable from elite women and there is no way that women can compete with the men. Right now, there is no credible evidence to suggest that MtF athletes are statistically superior to cis female athletes due to androgenization during puberty, in any sport. I don't expect that evidence is going to emerge. If it did, then we would be stuck in a place where it is impossible to be equitable to all and we would have to make a decision about what we value. But that would be a debate for another time, and in the meantime, even if we're wrong, it does not mean the death of women's sport. We can afford to be wrong about how competitive MtF athletes are in the name of equity for transgender individuals.

There is some evidence that loving with testosterone levels in adults isn't going to normalize things particularly well, and the World Athletics guidelines regarding testosterone (and other guidelines that have sprung from that) are bullshit.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

moonmazed posted:

you're getting bogged down in numbers that don't actually matter at all

Why don't the numbers matter? It's not a strictly philosophical argument, the difference in performance is very relevant.

But as Jaxyon said, DSD is not transgender, and I'm not sure this is really a productive conversation at this point.

Jaxyon posted:

Also I'd like to add, while the discussion of Caster Semenya's treatment does touch on some issues that crossover with transgender athletes, she is not transgender. I feel it's important to add that because sex and gender issues are frequently confused, as are intersex and transgender issues.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

A big flaming stink posted:

like do we really have to pretend any more that the IAAF isnt explicitly trying to enforce white supremacy by banning caster semenya? its so loving obvious.

Uh, or, maybe don't conflate race and DSD, because what you're doing here is minimizing the discrimination that DSD and trans individuals face. It is "explicitly" enforcing a sex and gender binary, and though I absolutely think WA maintains white supremacy, this is a pretty garbage example to hang that on.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that the gender binary has indeed disproportionately impacted cis-Black women in diminishment of their gender. A lot of our standards of beauty and the expectations of what a woman should be are interwoven with whiteness and recent Western cultural trends.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Unless I’m misunderstanding what is being said, why can’t it be both?

It’s just a perfect example of how arbitrary rules are made by elites in a thing that can never be “fair” (sports) as a means to discriminate the already disenfranchised.

It’s personally my shortcut example to determine if someone is a piece of poo poo racist and transphobe, especially those that consider themselves on the liberal end of the spectrum.

Sorry, I'm not discounting intersectionality here, I imagine we all agree that someone like Semenya has to deal with more poo poo because she is DSD and black than DSD alone. White supremacy exists and always makes things worse. It's that other dominant black runners have not had to deal with this kind of total assault on their existence, and unremarkable trans athletes have to deal with it independent of their race. There is obvious racism in running, but there is a subset of powerful people with a philosophical objection to DSD or trans people competing at all.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I guess that depends on whether one of the IAAF officials making the rules saying that there's so much inbreeding in 'developing countries' that they have to keep a closer eye on sex disorders is a "total assault" or not but there's clearly more than just hatred of intersex or trans people going on here

Like I don't know what a "total assault" is but saying there's so much inbreeding outside of Europe that you gotta look out is pretty drat bad imo

E: the government of South Africa has also objected to how racist the IAAF and IOC are being, and I feel like the African National Congress probably has more experience with this kind of thing than white goons idk, I'm gonna lean a little on their side I hope that's okay

So your contention is that if Caster Semanya was white, she would not have had to face any of this scrutiny?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dog King posted:

If by non-transitioning you mean not engaging in hormone therapy, yes. They'd annihilate, but like I've been saying that's a problem with having gender divisions.

Sex divisions generate an obvious philosophical issue, but I'm not sure how you'd replace them in a sport like elite running. There's no easily observable characteristic that would act as a proxy, and we're not going to be measuring maximal oxygen uptake or doing muscle biopsies to put collegiate runners into the right competitive bins.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dog King posted:

There plenty of anthropometrics you could use for elite running. They'd differ between marathon running and sprinting.

General:
- Ratio of leg length to overall height
- Q-angle or other measure of pelvic mechanical advantage (this is the one that differs most between men and women)

Sprinting:
- Height
- Fast twitch muscle fiber mass

Marathon:
- Somatype (higher points for ecto)
- Slow twitch muscle fiber mass

It would have some divisions that had more men or more women but none of them would exclusively be men or women. You could also have more divisions this way, allowing more people to compete meaningfully, like they do in combat sports because of weight divisions.

There is no accurate indirect way of measuring muscle fiber type, you have to go in and take a chunk out. It's probably only scalable at the world elite level, certainly not for collegiate athletics. VO2Max is more predictive for distance events than either of those, but also requires laboratory measurement. And these are variables that change over time and with training, so they have to be regularly assessed. None of those other measurements you provided actually have predictive value in those disciplines, to my knowledge, though I'm only an expert in physiology for 5km+ events.

This isn't going to happen and it's not a realistic solution. Beyond that, it also creates fundamentally boring categories, and pitting elite women against mediocre biological men just makes for boring races. It's probably genuinely better to eliminate classifications than do this, but then I have no idea how you get women equal attention.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Colonel Cool posted:

I suppose what I'm trying to do in this thread is form an opinion about the topic that I'm not an expert on. I'm not asking questions like "what should we do in sports if trans women turn out to have a noticeable advantage?" rhetorically, I want to have an answer to that question, for carrying outside of this thread to other people I talk to elsewhere.

But I'm sorry, I shouldn't have implied that there's no value in having entirely theoretical discussions about topics that aren't going to be as impactful in the real world. They can be interesting subjects too, and I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to say they shouldn't be discussed at all.

Well, eliminating gender categories from sport is a solution to the problem of transgender individuals performing differently from cisgender individuals while maintaining fairness and inclusivity. It introduces new problems, so you then have to recategorize, which is not easy, but people pretend it is easy so they can just argue from first principles of universal fairness and inclusivity. I'm convinced that there will be no fair answer to this question and you have to decide who gets the short straw.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dog King posted:

No you're good, I hadn't posted it in the thread before because it's doesn't matter for the point I'm making. Here are the two most recent reviews of I know of:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/55/15/865
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7846503/

To be scientifically conservative here, these are reviews of measurements of physiological variables, not sport performance, and the studies included are in broad populations, not athletes. It is entirely possible still that in the disciplines with a ~10-15% cis male/female performance gap, that this is entirely made up for by transitioning. Here's a popular article about Joanna Harper and her work on this re: running. Her own experience is that she went from a sub-elite male to a sub-elite woman at about the same percentile when she transitioned, and her work has broadly borne that out. She is an IOC expert.

https://www.science.org/content/article/scientist-racing-discover-how-gender-transitions-alter-athletic-performance-including

quote:

Before her own transition in 2004, Harper expected that her 10,000-meter race time might increase by "a minute or two" as her testosterone level dropped and she slowed. But in less than a year, Harper was running a full 5 minutes slower than her personal best. "It just blew me away, and it very much piqued my interest as a scientist."

In 2005, Harper realized her experience wasn't unique after reading an article in Runner's World about another transgender female runner who had also become significantly slower. But when Harper searched for studies about the physiology of transitioning, she found none. So on nights and weekends, she began to moonlight on a research project.

Harper searched for transgender female distance runners willing to share race times from before and after their transitions. The transgender population, even now, tends to be "small and secretive," Harper says, and it took 7 years of contacting athletes through Yahoo and Facebook groups to collect data from eight runners. All the women had undergone hormone therapy to bring their testosterone levels in line with typical female levels. In Harper's study, titled simply "Race Times for Transgender Athletes" and published in 2015 in the little-known Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities, she showed that all but one person ran substantially slower after transitioning.

Harper also calculated each subject's age grade, a common metric in track and field and distance running that reflects an athlete's performance compared with the fastest known time by someone of the same age and sex. Harper showed that the athletes' age grades before and after hormone therapy remained nearly the same. That is, the women were as competitive with their age- and sex-matched peers as they had been when competing against men. They weren't, in other words, likely to dominate women's races. "No one had previously looked at actual performance of transgender athletes pre- and posttransition," Vilain says.

Harper has since shown similar results for a transgender rower, a cyclist, and a sprinter. Together, the findings make a case that previous exposure to male levels of testosterone does not confer an enduring athletic advantage.

If I had to bet, I would say it's very unlikely that MtF athletes will not retain a performance advantage in strength-focused sports with a very large cis male/female performance gap. I think there's still a good chance for other sports that the performance advantage could disappear.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Miss Broccoli posted:

I want to ask why you feel the need to continue to refer to transgender women as biological men. Particularly after being (indirectly) called on it. In addition to this you seem to ignore all the evidence pointed your way about how in a huge, majority even, number of sports trans people don't have meaningfully unfair advantages that are impossible for their cis counterparts to achieve.

Do you have an ulterior motive here? It seems that you just don't like trans women in particular. It seems that you choose not to engage with any evidence to the contrary and want to hyperfocus down in on anything that will give you a foothold for why trans women in particular should not be allowed. Why are you doing this.

Are transgender women women, just like cisgender women are, brake for moose?

I used the term "biological men" precisely once in this thread and I was referring to literally men - biological men who identify and compete as male. Slow the gently caress down.

anyway,

Miss Broccoli posted:

Are transgender women women, just like cisgender women are, brake for moose?

Yes, obviously.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Colonel Cool posted:

Checking the post under it...

The reason I haven't weighed in here again, despite standing by that post, is because this whole back-and-forth feels very irrelevant in the big picture human aspect (and several people here have explained why). Yes, I think it would be more surprising for hormone treatment in adulthood to abolish the performance gap in all sports than for there to be persistent organizational effects of hormones that create a permanent advantage in at least some sports. But, okay -- this would mean that some sports have to figure out how to handle that issue safely and fairly. That is very different from the current discriminatory bullshit that's based on transphobic nonsense and "justified" by a flawed assumption of universal advantage. I don't have the stomach to write out an endocrinology lecture when the science isn't what the policies are about.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PT6A posted:

And after that, to explain why such a physical advantage is not tolerable in competition while essentially all other physical advantages are.

As someone who was born with a disability, let me disabuse everyone of the notion that sports ever is, was, or will be a level playing field. It's not, and the idea that it is or should be is based around a very specific idea of what a "normal" person is.

The weirdest thing about this thread is the yo-yo'ing between "there is no performance advantage" and "it doesn't even matter if there's a performance advantage." If your position is the latter then why on earth are you spending 10 pages arguing with someone about the former, when the answer is irrelevant? My brain is bleeding.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

These were excellent posts, thanks!

Hawkperson posted:

I’m curious to know if there is an elite trans athlete/competitor who has been excluded from competition. There’s no doubt it happens passively and indirectly. But it seems to me like the people who are actually being currently and directly affected by policies trying to address trans people are 1) elite cis women such as Caster Semenya and 2) non- elite trans kids who just want to play some sportsball. The only trans adult athlete I can think of in this category is the trans man who can’t get a boxing match. Is there anyone else?

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah, that’s who I was thinking of too. It’s just strange to me that we spend all these words discussing the nuances of elite trans women in sport when it seems like that is largely a solved problem, and the real actual current real-life problems are about elite trans men, elite cis women, and trans children.

I don't see it as a solved problem. The guidelines are changing constantly, largely because most of them are unscientific and don't actually make sense upon scrutiny. All elite trans athletes have to endure an incredible amount of poo poo, and just because their sports' governing bodies are on their side at the moment doesn't mean that couldn't change.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2022

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Hawkperson posted:

Do you have an example of guidelines constantly changing in elite sport? My vague understanding from reading this thread is that guidelines for trans participants in elite sports were largely hashed out in the 80s/90s and have mostly stayed the same. Not that these guidelines aren’t unscientific or in need of scrutiny (see: the rules harming Caster Semenya)

Total agreement that elite trans athletes have to endure way too much poo poo. Just largely doesn’t currently seem to be related to official guidelines in their sports.

No, they've been under constant revision and only started approaching consensus in 2015. In the case of the Olympics, the IOC's 2003 guidelines were insane (required surgery). The 2015 guidelines are what many sports are now following, but they're also very problematic (testosterone maximum of 10 nmol/L for 12 months). The current guidelines are backing off of the 2015 guidelines, telling individual sports to figure it out, and consulting to try to figure out something that makes sense. And these individual sports all have widely varying guidelines even in one country (like the US) -- many US sports have no documented guidelines, some still require surgery, some ban trans athletes outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This thread just seems like a honeypot because there is nothing to debate or discuss, minus the current state of affairs. Trans women and men should be able to compete as their identified gender. period full stop no exclusions.

The debate or discussion is, given that moral first principle, how do we actually make that happen given that the top 10-30% of performances in many sports are by men. Do we set standards for transgender athletes? Do we recategorize sport by a less problematic category than gender? Do we eliminate categories entirely?