Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How many 7-foot+ transgender athletes do you think there are in America? Personally I doubt there are enough to fill out one basketball team.

The very very Republican governor of Utah vetoed a bill about this issue because IIRC the total number of transgender high school athletes in Utah that the law would effect was four. 4. One less than half of ten.

Even worse: of those 4, three are trans boys.

Only 1 athlete would be effected by that law at all as it only covers girls' teams.

https://twitter.com/SpencerJCox/status/1506377724314611712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I do have a trans question in general. Not about the sports stuff. I do appreciate the fact that this thread clearly goes over this sports poo poo is bullshit, and I'll use it when dealing with the one friend who usually says "trans folks are fine, but what about those sports..." (Yes, this friend is cool minus listening to Joe Rogen and those kind of things).

My question is on age of transitioning. I'm hearing a lot of personal stories from parents where therapists schools take troubled kids right away and suggest they're trans. Again, there is a huge difference between a kid that at age two is very cleary trans (and I've met a few) who want surgery hormones before puberty. Totally cool with that. But I'm Leary of teens who suddenly in a group of five all decide they're trans at 14, didn't really exhibit signs of that before hand, and then demand surgery.

I know one family in particular where the kid at 14 came they were trans, and when the parents said they wanted the teen to wait till 18 because they both didn't want to/couldn't afford right then to pay for the surgery, and the teen acted like their parents were transphobic.
I'm not saying people shouldn't transition at a young age, but when it's starting to be suggested by outside influences versus from the child, I get leery.
"Puberty shouldn't be so hard, they just want to feel right in their body". I get those arguments, but I'm sorry, I hated my body when I was going through puberty too.

There's also an argument about consent here. Teens can't consent till they're adults but life altering surges yes? (I know, parents permission needed, but again, a lot of this feels trendy?) basically, all of this is me saying I"m wondering if there is a push to transition for some teens because it sets you apart, versus because they're actually trans, and if there's a way of balancing the surgery approach.

I bring this up because I saw a video by a woman who d-transitioned, and her experience of how much harassment she got for documenting it, and how she felt her transition was partly pushed on her in the first place.

Another video (a tick Tok) was by a native trans person talking about the need for it to be surgery is also a very western way of thinking of trans people, and isn't necessary always.

So basically, my question to this thread is this, is the rate of trans people always just been higher and now trans folks feel more comfortable coming out, or is there a certain level of societal acceptance/a trend that maybe pushes for surgeries. Again, I'm pro trans right. Everyone's valid, all that.

This thread has thrown out a lot of good stats, so help me here please. My bullshit detector has gone off here about the overall numbers/trend, because I've been around liberal/privileged folks a lot of my life and know how often they're loving terrible while pretending to be the good guys, and I've known a few parents that would 100% try to manipulate their kid into stating their trans if it helped give them 'clout'. They did not do this, (their kids are too old now) but there are those folks out there.

Literally no one is pressuring anyone to transition. If anything the enormous social pressure is in the opposite direction, and there is significant institutional pushback as well to even get treatment, especially in places like the UK where waits can be years to receive care.

The WPATH Standards Of Care are the internationally recognized basis for best practices for transgender medical care, currently in its 7th edition since original publication in 1979. They are, by most measures, conservative minimums of treatment. Per them, medical treatment of adolescents is limited to puberty suppression prior to age 16, and can potentially begin hormone therapy thereafter with parental consent. You can read the standards starting on Page 18 of the linked PDF.

A very important passage here that deserves posting in full:

quote:

Risks of Withholding Medical Treatment for Adolescents
Refusing timely medical interventions for adolescents might prolong gender dysphoria and contribute
to an appearance that could provoke abuse and stigmatization. As the level of gender-related abuse
is strongly associated with the degree of psychiatric distress during adolescence (Nuttbrock et al.,
2010), withholding puberty suppression and subsequent feminizing or masculinizing hormone
therapy is not a neutral option for adolescents.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Trans men have been the primary target of transphobic rhetoric and legislation in the last few years. The social contagion narrative that has been very effective is focused on trans men. Transphobes also talk a bunch about "ruining fertile wombs and breasts," and get really mad about "people who have periods" phrasing. In the transphobic worldview, trans women tend to be the perverts seducing kids, and trans men are the victims. The people passing these healthcare bans are thinking "Our daughters are being corrupted!"

The invisibility is a part of the attack. They deny the agency of trans men, so the best they get is pity instead of hatred. But the damage is still done to them.

Also, it wasn't that long ago in history that a woman could get arrested for wearing pants. Being allowed to wear "men's" clothes was the result of massive effort to break down barriers. And, I think in recent years, there's been more of a push to remove the stigma on male femininity. It's just lagging behind because there wasn't as much of a need for a movement of male social liberation to drive those changes.

I'd gotten the impression that was a specifically British TERF thing, screeching about how men transitioning was 'stealing their lesbians'.

Victar posted:

A notable quote from this article: "A number of states that have introduced bills to ban trans women in sports have said they're trying to save women’s sports. But in addition to these bans, they're also introducing legislation to try to limit the lives of trans people in other ways. They're showing their true colors."

It's notable that the same people and parties pushing these bills have also repeatedly and consistently cut school budgets at the high school and college level, which leads directly to womens' sports programs getting cut as they aren't as self-sustaining financially as men's football and basketball.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Actions speak, odd how things that hurt people in already marginalized groups are more permitted

The stance that trans people's right to exist and live normal lives is a matter of debate is decidedly not a neutral stance. Same hateful rhetoric that's been kicking around for decades, just as commonly aimed at other queer people when transgender folks didn't have as much visibility.

Decorum, or bad faith attempts to present a veneer of academic curiosity, does not change the content of their posting. Bigotry formatted as a question to dodge moderation policy remains bigotry.

We have all lived through the last five years of being very online while people with particular social agendas use the 'Just Asking Questions' routine to float bigotry and seize on their opposition calling it out as a failure of decorum, thus validating their beliefs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm curious exactly what post you're defending as the work of a 'naive person', because I can't say I've seen any of that here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Weight limits divided by gender is basically the best we can do but even weight is manipulated heavily by fighters.

To an extent of killing themselves trying to cut down to fight at a lower weight class. :(

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/boxing/2018/07/01/weight-cutting-boxing/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Is Intersex a separate category? Legit question, I see that in the White House's announcement about Ukrainian refugees they use the acronym "LGBTQI+", the I and the + being new ones to me.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ounding-region/

The other thing is that your line of reasoning leads one to ask the question of why have women's categories at all?

It depends on the acronym, but I is a pretty common add. Common enough that Amnesty International and NAMI use it in their official docs, at any rate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Semenya has one condition of increased testosterone. There's other conditions in women that also increase T, and they're not banned under the ruling. The rules target some intersex women, and that's it.

There's people with genetic abnormalities that basically give them free blood doping, they're allowed to compete. Of course, they're men.

Yep. Also people with all -sorts- of mutations that enhance performance to one degree or another, but they don't seem to care unless they're gender-related. It's just phobia expressed as concern trolling.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Let's check in on how this issue is being addressed in the real world.

https://twitter.com/Nico_Lang/status/1514730331785494547

oh.

Same in Utah. There are four transgender athletes at the high school level in the state. 3 are guys. The legislation there (which the governor veto'd and was overridden) only targets girls' sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

I've seen anti trans individuals and organisations on social media, the tv and other platforms use the refrain "define woman/but what is a woman" as a way of stopping any greater conversation about the inclusion and acceptance of trans people

I'm not saying that's whats happening here im just pointing that out

Especially the Mumsnet UK TERF crowd.

They use CW:Transphobia 'Adult Human Female' as a rallying cry and love to lead into it by demanding anyone they're talking to define 'woman' so they can use their particular definition to exclude transgender women (who they do not class as 'female').

It's semantic bullshit, but what isn't with bigots.