Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cemetry Gator posted:

Eleanor's multiverse excursions

Obviously bad auto correct or whatever, but the media that EEAAO reminded me most of upon watching was the rapid fire resets episode of The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Simply Simon posted:

Waymond is by far the smartest character in the movie, that comes across extremely clearly in every scene he's in, and if you didn't catch that then you are like Evelyn at the start

Evelyn at the beginning is the real villain. You can look at Joy and Waymond and see two opposing forces, but in the beginning of the movie both of them are planning on leaving Evelyn. While Joy is in pessimistic despair, it is driving her to try to make her life better (or she thinks it will be), and optimistic Waymond is divorcing Evelyn. Both are fighting against Evelyn's apathy.

Opposing apathy is the reason universe jumps are made by doing something uncomfortable. Choosing to care about something, and acting on that care is uncomfortable. Caring takes optimism, but can lead to despair; both Joy and Waymond are coming from the same place. It's Evelyn's apathy that's hurting everyone because she doesn't want to face the uncomfortable things.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don’t think it’s quite apathy for Evelyn in the beginning. We see her overwhelmed at the start because she is trying to care about too many things: taxes, running laundry mat, planning the party, impressing her father, who her daughter is dating, etc. It’s more a matter of priority. All these other factors keep her from focusing on her family and their issues first.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

killer crane posted:

Evelyn at the beginning is the real villain. You can look at Joy and Waymond and see two opposing forces, but in the beginning of the movie both of them are planning on leaving Evelyn. While Joy is in pessimistic despair, it is driving her to try to make her life better (or she thinks it will be), and optimistic Waymond is divorcing Evelyn. Both are fighting against Evelyn's apathy.

Opposing apathy is the reason universe jumps are made by doing something uncomfortable. Choosing to care about something, and acting on that care is uncomfortable. Caring takes optimism, but can lead to despair; both Joy and Waymond are coming from the same place. It's Evelyn's apathy that's hurting everyone because she doesn't want to face the uncomfortable things.
That's a great point on doing something uncomfortable.

To further hammer the point home, a character that's just goofing around with naive optimism doesn't prepare divorce papers as a last-ditch effort to get his wife to snap out of a spiral of fugue and hated routine. He's extremely proactive and there is very deliberate purpose to everything he does, even - especially - the goofy stuff.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Waymond is by far the smartest character in the movie, that comes across extremely clearly in every scene he's in, and if you didn't catch that then you are like Evelyn at the start

"Please, be kind. Especially when we don't know what's going on."

That quote is what hit hardest for me in this whole movie.

I think there's a lot of things that Waymond is oblivious to, or that he just doesn't understand. But what he does know is how to act when he's in over his head. Be kind.

I think that's something important to be said. I think when people are confronted by the unknown, when they don't see the shape of a situation or don't know how deep the water is, they're scared. They're defensive. That's a perfectly natural survival response to a hostile world. But most of us are in a much different place than when those instincts developed. Our world is controlled by other people, and other people will react to your instinctive defense and hostility with hostility of their own. An instinct we don't really have enough of is to just try to be kind first. Especially when we don't know what's going on. Showing some vulnerability can absolutely be to our advantage.

The final scene in the movie is what really drives this home for me. Evelyn has trouble concentrating during the tax audit. She keeps getting asked "are you even paying attention?" Before she would defensively say, "Of course I'm paying attention," in a tone that suggests it was a stupid thing to even ask of her. She's confused and defensive and the conversation gets worse. At the resolution of the movie she hasn't learned to concentrate. She still has her problems in that context. But when she zones out and is angrily asked "did you hear me?" she responds, "Sorry, what did you say?" [Smash cut to credits to emphasize the point]

In a world of people, even in the coldest most procedurally inhuman contexts like a tax audit at the IRS, be kind. The worst that can happen is it gets mistaken for naivete. But that first step of expressing kindness even when we feel vulnerable- especially when we feel vulnerable- can make things better, not just for the world, but for ourselves. It's honestly a good survival strategy in a world where just being kind usually costs nothing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/11/1147854196/everything-everywhere-michelle-yeoh

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

At the end, Evelyn still has the multiverse powers right? But she now finds satisfaction in what she has and isn’t even tempted to dive in anymore?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
She still gets on twitter and watches YouTube but knows to hang with her family too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

She still gets on twitter and watches YouTube but knows to hang with her family too.

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Frantically mailing the Daniels my spec scripts for Everything Everywhere Once And Again and Everything Everywhere Once And For All

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GateOfD posted:

At the end, Evelyn still has the multiverse powers right? But she now finds satisfaction in what she has and isn’t even tempted to dive in anymore?

There's a universe where she has the powers and chooses not to use them and there's a universe where she never had the powers and the whole movie is an allegorical fever dream. I mean, this isn't what the movie is about, Evelyn uses her infinite powers to give her daughter a nice hug, the movie isn't about the sci-fi aspects of dimension hopping, by the end of the movie Evelyn is in the exact same reality she started in with all the bad decisions she's always made, the interdimensional quirkiness might as well never happened, she didn't need the magic powers to stop alienating her family.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

...the interdimensional quirkiness might as well never happened, she didn't need the magic powers to stop alienating her family.

I don't see the point of these kinds of reads. "Indiana Jones could've just stayed home!" It's not suddenly a shaggy dog story just because the character circled back around to a familiar place. Evelyn's experience verse-hopping gave her perspective she otherwise wouldn't and couldn't have had, there's no way she could've reconnected with her husband and daughter again without it.

I like the read that this was an intense, psychedelic form of therapy for Evelyn. Because yeah, she could've not done any of it and simply made better choices in her life as it was, but that's the whole point of therapy: it's a necessary and possibly traumatic reframing of your beliefs and relationships that allows those different choices to feel possible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
edit: nevermind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

every film twitter type that i follow that hates this movie has matrix 4 at 5/5 on their letterboxd

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hmm I love matrix 4 but love this also, probably more. Lana Wachowski was a big fan of this one also .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mantis42 posted:

every film twitter type that i follow that hates this movie has matrix 4 at 5/5 on their letterboxd
Was it bad? I haven't had the chance to see it. I'm generally OK with Keanu Reeves getting money, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mantis42 posted:

I'm not a "film twitter" person, but I have Matrix 4 at 4 stars on my Letterboxd, and EEAAO at 5 stars, so I don't know what this says about me.

Matrix 4 was very good, if a little lazy on the action at times. But that's fine, because that's not what that movie was really about. Just worth noting after how groundbreaking the action was in The Matrix.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Matrix 4 was okay at best, which also unfortunately makes it easily the best Matrix sequel.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

Was it bad? I haven't had the chance to see it. I'm generally OK with Keanu Reeves getting money, though.
It starts out seeming like the most interesting and funny possible version of a Matrix reboot/seqeul but imo completely shits the bed in the last 45 minutes or so

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Matrix 4 is really a stealth Sense8 movie and that's okay. But yeah the action scenes were a letdown.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nessus posted:

Was it bad?

honestly haven't seen it, it looked bad

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I like matrix 4 but the action comparison between that movie and this one is telling in which people remember. People will remember butt plug or Fanny pack or Evelyn/joy duel at end more than helicopter explosion of matrix. Not all in the budgets.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Amusingly Waymond trying to shock Evelyn out of her spiral with divorce papers reminds me of the Bigheads' arc in Rocko's Modern Life, where at the beginning of the story Ed is in the same position as Evelyn, ignoring and pushing his spouse away because they are too burnt out with the minutiae of their lives, and it's not until the relationship is threatened, in Rocko's case it's when Bev starts having Rocko around to do odd jobs and not-too-subtly flirting with him which leads Rocko to call Ed out on being the reason she did that in the first place, and he makes very clear to Ed that his wife has started shopping around, so needs to pull his head out of his rear end and treat her better.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought the only real lame part of Matrix 4 was the Merovingian cameo, if that was taken out I'd have liked it a lot better.

Anyways, really glad EEAAO swept the Oscars, it definitely deserved it. I didn't see a whole lot of last year's releases but it made a big impression on me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

honestly haven't seen it, it looked bad

Matrix 4 is bad, yeah. It's just incredibly extraneous, something Lana Wachowski seemed to understand, so there's relentless meta commentary throughout trying to lampshade the irrelevant cash-grabbiness of it all. And that truly makes the whole thing worse.

On top of that, Keanu Reeves couldn't really devote the time to prep action scenes for it, so the main draw of watching John Wick return to his biggest action franchise falls flat (he uses a kind of Force Push move instead of crazy wire-fu, which is as lame as it sounds.) And despite the nostalgia bait premise of the entire project, only Keanu and Carrie Anne Moss are back (and Jada, I guess), so it's asking you to care about these pointless recasts of Morpheus and Agent Smith who spit pages of exposition trying to justify why that is.

Everything Everywhere is inconceivably better, as "your reality is a construct" head trip sci-fi genre films go.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
If The Matrix 4 was supposed to be a love story, or an action movie, or a good movie, then EEAAO is the Matrix 4 we deserve. If The Matrix 4 was supposed to be a meta commentary about the film industry and the push for excessive sequels against the original artists wishes, then it succeeds only on the surface level. Matrix 4 is ultimately a boring and shoddily put together movie with heavy Netflix Original vibes, and I don't think it lives up to even the low standards of Revolution

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Matrix 4 is a good bad movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

And despite the nostalgia bait premise of the entire project, only Keanu and Carrie Anne Moss are back (and Jada, I guess), so it's asking you to care about these pointless recasts of Morpheus and Agent Smith who spit pages of exposition trying to justify why that is.

Yea when you really look at it a not insignificant chunk of the movie is dedicated just to explaining the recasting. And given the premise of the movie, the recasting wasn't even necessary, they could've just left those two characters out completely.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I don't know if I agree with that, those characters are as central to the story as the leads in my mind. But they clearly couldn't get the original actors, which should've been fatal for the whole project. I just wonder what leverage some suit at WB had to incentivize it despite all its setbacks, since Lilly Wachowski wasn't even involved and Lana clearly felt a way about what she was making.

Maybe "money" is a good enough answer, I don't know. I see no "in development" credits on her IMDb, so it wasn't a "one for them and one for me" situation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xealot posted:

Matrix 4 is bad, yeah. It's just incredibly extraneous, something Lana Wachowski seemed to understand, so there's relentless meta commentary throughout trying to lampshade the irrelevant cash-grabbiness of it all. And that truly makes the whole thing worse.

Keanu Reeve's character is told directly that if he doesn't make a fourth game in his videogame series when he said he was done at three the studio will get someone else to make it in the first ten minutes of the film. I think it was very much Lana Wachowski being "I don't want to do this, but I'd rather do it than see someone else do it."

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
She should have let someone else do it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the meta commentary, it made an otherwise bad movie better for me

I love secret “help me I’m being held hostage in a movie making factory” messages

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ibexaz posted:

She should have let someone else do it

Yes. I suppose it's her baby, so sure. If I didn't need the money, and I knew the sequel would suck out loud either way, I'd want to wash my hands of the whole thing. But yes, artistic pride is a reasonable enough explanation.

She still should've gotten more out of it. "I'll make you a 4th Matrix, if you fund my space western about trans cyborg outlaws robbing an ore freighter or whatever."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Covid interrupting production and not being able to get the same crew when filming resumed didn't help either.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

"I'll make you a 4th Matrix, if you fund Jupiter Ascending 2."

:getin:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked the meta commentary because it allowed Christina Ricci to have a cameo and good for her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder how often studios don’t realize a movie is making fun of them and how often they know but don’t care because it’ll make money anyways and too few audience members will catch on to make a difference

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the latter. Also most producers are really stupid and have no artistic bone in their disgusting body so they don’t understand what anything is. They just make money and are evil

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder how often studios don’t realize a movie is making fun of them and how often they know but don’t care because it’ll make money anyways and too few audience members will catch on to make a difference

I mean they literally call out Warner Bros in the movie which got some befuddled laughs in my theatre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xealot posted:

I don't see the point of these kinds of reads. "Indiana Jones could've just stayed home!" It's not suddenly a shaggy dog story just because the character circled back around to a familiar place. Evelyn's experience verse-hopping gave her perspective she otherwise wouldn't and couldn't have had, there's no way she could've reconnected with her husband and daughter again without it.

I like the read that this was an intense, psychedelic form of therapy for Evelyn. Because yeah, she could've not done any of it and simply made better choices in her life as it was, but that's the whole point of therapy: it's a necessary and possibly traumatic reframing of your beliefs and relationships that allows those different choices to feel possible.

My point wasn't that the movie shouldn't exist and that it is pointless or something like that, my point was that Evelyn's growth ultimately was based on grounded and real understandings, she didn't "need" the multiverse hopping, it just helped, that's part of the message of the movie ultimately. Yes, it's therapy, the multiverse was just therapy. Yes you don't "need" therapy but maybe if you're at a point where your life is falling apart and you're actively emotionally eviscerating your loved ones on a daily basis you could use some help, or something.