Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Lmao at the mega-developments in the exurbs of Jacksonville, FL:

https://twitter.com/m3_melody/status/1628383066648461318

This is where the bust is actually going to produce cheap housing. lovely tract homes outside of the bad cities in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

interest rates murder me and prices still don’t come down

…is capitalism a hoax apologetic to manipulate wealth disparity?

When interest rates are low, prices go up because people can borrow more money to afford higher prices.

When interest rates are high, prices go up because all new home construction stops and there is zero new inventory being added.

The system works!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The slums of the future are not going to be big towers, those were the slums of the past. The American slums of the future are leaky tract houses on quarter acre lots an hour out of town.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

also ill never move again because I got my house at 3% interest and I can't afford to triple my mortgage payment every month and I couldn't rent an apartment for what I pay in mortgage.

lmao @ america

I'm in this same situation and it's honestly a little upsetting to me. I realize my extreme privilege to have been able to buy a house 6 years ago for half the price of now, then refinance it 3 years ago at insanely low interest rates, but also a lot of that is just that I'm getting older.

The youth are hosed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I live in a fairly well off area, but every single housing development that's going up around here starts at prices where the mortgage alone would eat up ~50% of the net median household income for this city. It doesn't make any loving sense.

There's an entire development with like 30 lots going up on my street where prices start at around $650k.

I'm guessing that development started while mortgage rates were 2.8%, though? Maybe they're just betting that we get free money again starting next week.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ammanas posted:

- idiot assholes are thinking something along the lines of 'this payment eats up most of our income but when rates get cut in 6 months like my agent says they will we can refinance and it'll be affordable'

Who says they're idiots? Didn't you see the news, JPow turned the money printer back on, these people are going to refinance soon at 4% and then a bit later at 2% while house prices shoot into the millions nationally.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

hotels hosed up and weren’t offering what and where people actually wanted is the short of it I think.

it also doesn’t take many nights a month to pay for the property.

A huge part of that in my local market, Nashville, is that hotels are so highly limited by zoning, permits, taxes, all sorts of other political blockers that not only have existing houses been converted to Airbnbs but a ton of developers have built new construction houses specifically to be airbnbed without ever being sold. Purpose built Airbnb, in residential neighborhoods.

One went up near me that's a block of 8 attached houses, each permitted to allow up to 10 guests for short term rental. They built an 80 person hotel block instead of housing because hotels are expensive and hard to build here. I'm assuming this plays out nationally too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

joepinetree posted:

There are plenty of villas, cabins, multiroom suites, bed and breakfasts and so on that all do precisely that type of thing. The difference for Airbnb that will make it "better" and cheaper is that the airbnb doesn't have to worry about zoning regulations (which drives up price for hotels as well as limits locations), safety regulations (which drive up cost by requiring emergency exits and sprinklers/etc), labor contracts and so on.

Like, family gatherings, bachelor parties, etc all existed before airbnb existed. The only thing airbnb does is bypass regulations, taxes and unions.

That 6br with a pool and outdoor bar is only "affordable" because it pays taxes and fees as if it was a residence rather than a business, avoids all the limitations on commercial property, and relies on unpaid or informal labor rather than contracted workers for the cleaning and maintenance.

Outdoor bar? Try poles for dancing, that's the new standard for a party pad: https://stayminty.com/cities/nashville/

Look at this bullshit. I hate it. All of these are cheaper than a single lovely hotel room at the Day's Inn because they're dodging regulations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Around me I've seen that Uber is starting to consolidate into shared cars that have multiple drivers working shifts on them. There will be a big piece of paper taped to the dash with the passcode for the shared phone printed on it.

I guess with Uber gamification it makes more sense to have one account driving all the time. Or maybe these drivers don't have licenses, who knows.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

House prices can't ever come down by any significant amount and that creates massive problems when speculation/investment causes them to double or triple from anything even remotely approaching reasonable.

Can you imagine most homeowners actually losing half or more of the value of their houses? That's the only way you can ever fix this. You need to tell existing homeowners "your home will never make you money ever" which is absolutely an okay thing to be true but lmao.

Massive inflation that home prices don't match is one way out of this. Imagine if houses still cost $800k, but also a McDonalds combo meal was $15 and a dozen eggs cost $7. Man, what a crazy world that would be.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

am I reading htat right, housing prices have doubled in the past 15 years

wtf lmao

What part of the country are you in? I'm in one of the hotter markets in Nashville, and our housing prices have doubled since 2017.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

indigi posted:

honestly though how is this supposed to work long term. not in a snarky "lol capitalism" way but like, for a society where wages are not going up at all, how is something like this realistic

Normalizing a ton of roommates. No more extra bedrooms anywhere. Bunk beds for adults. My sister lives in a 3 bedroom house with 3 distinct households living there, 1 couple each in 2 bedrooms and a single person in the 3rd.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Starter homes just plain don't exist anymore. Just because it's the cheapest thing doesn't make it a starter home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/upshot/starter-home-prices.html

quote:

Or take the early 1900s bungalows in the Greater Heights area of Houston. Many were cheap rental housing in the 1990s, with chain-link fences and dismal carpeting.

“When you removed the chain-link fence, pulled back the carpet, and painted the walls back to white, these are charming homes which today we sell for $600,000-$800,000,” said Bill Baldwin, a local broker and city planning commissioner.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Blanket up-zoning seems to be the best tool that we have. Developers are salivating at the profits from the ability to plop down 4 houses where they would put one, let's let them loving do it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cities in the US loving suck, though. I live 1600 feet from the nearest public library, but there aren't sidewalks from there to there, you have to go under freeway underpasses that don't get cleaned so dirt piles up where a pedestrian would want to walk, and there's multiple unprotected road crossings.

I live less than 4 miles from work in a neighborhood where tons of people are all making the same commute, but the bus system is entirely hub and spoke so going there would involve a transfer and take almost as long as just loving walking there, which I've done a handful of times. I bike it regularly, but everyone else just drives.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Related: bus service in the US doesn't have to be awful, we choose to keep it this way because buses exist mostly as a way to punish the poor.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10852884/houston-bus-ridership

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/how-metro-made-bus-service-priority-and-became-transit-trendsetter

quote:

The redesign was a much better fit for the city Houston had become, providing better service — including expanded weekend service — to more of the population and increased access to the region’s job centers not named downtown. It established a Frequent Network comprising 22 bus routes and the three light rail lines whose stops had 15-minute frequencies,

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what city do you live in? are you in some 100k shithole?

I’m in a major metro and I’m a 30 minute walk from 4 libraries and if we expand it to a 30 minute bus ride then I have infinite libraries - knowledge is limitless

I am a little scared to ride my bike on major transport modes tho - you got me there

I'm in Nashville, about 800k city limit population, 2 million metro population in a neighborhood that went from $300k-400k when I bought in 7 years ago to listings "from 1.1M" now. Not a megacity, but also I think it makes the cutoff for "city".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

How is that arrangement any better than a normal manufactured house in a trailer park? $150k+ is well into giant doublewide territory and it's almost certainly better built than her thing at that point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

My take away is that he got free land in London and instead of building a real dwelling on it, he did this gimmick. As usual the key to cheap living is to be given a very valuable gift.

He's not even the first to do it: https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/why-professor-dumpsters-gimmicks-are-a-bunch-of-trash/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ammanas posted:

that is absolutely bizarre business behavior.

Super normal, a friend of mine got significant rent cuts two years in a row by moving units within the apartment to identical, or even nicer, units. The computer set the prices, the computer massively rewarded him for pushing his poo poo across the hallway into a new unit.

The building had to spend a lot more money to clean and turn units instead of keeping him in the same place for three years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Schlitterbahn kicks rear end, drat shame that the company imploded after the CEO / Park owner designed his own waterslide by himself that was unsafe and decapitated a state senator's son.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The next post is the more interesting one:
https://twitter.com/nickgerli1/status/1673775106793828352?s=20

There are so many Airbnbs. gently caress them all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

who is renting all of these

I don’t understand it

I lived next to two airbnbs for a few years and it sucked.

It was bachelorette parties mostly, and sometimes a bachelor party. One time the guests smashed the place up so bad that there were two broken TVs on the curb after the cleaners turned and a drywall repair crew came.

Every guest screamed "WOOOOOOO" after midnight. Sometimes they'd leave beer on the curb when they left, but usually it was terrible beer. I did get 3/4 case of PBR once.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

palindrome posted:

wow do housing developments really do that big "shared mailbox pillar with key" thing that apartment complexes have? I thought part of owning a house in pitsburg was having your own bespoke mailbox that you can decorate like an andy warhol painting

Shared mailboxes are a good thing and a lot of places require them by law or code even where lots are big. Outside of Austin Texas you can buy a 1.5M house on a big lot in an exurb but you're going to have to walk or drive a quarter mile to get to your mailbox. Individual mailboxes aren't allowed.

Nashville hosed up so much, we have individual mailboxes even where we shouldn't and the postal carriers drive down the sidewalk because of it. A long row of individual mailboxes 20 feet apart, and our delivery sucks because they haven't re-adjusted postal routes as the neighborhood triples in density.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Mail carriers deliver on foot here, has Nashville considered that

No.

Also they ran out of running Grumman LLVs so most of the mail carriers in my neighborhood drive Mercedes. On the sidewalk.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fun fact: they rip off the Mercedes badges and put on a big post office eagle so that idiots don't think the post office is wasting money on luxury cars:

https://jalopnik.com/whats-the-real-reason-behind-the-post-office-removing-m-1845303888

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What, are you still on a 4:3 toilet?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

What's really lovely is that these homes generally are not cheap, and that the "luxury" homes selling for 2-3x the price will typically use a lot of the exact same awful materials.

People need places to live and "here's a box that's big enough for your family to live comfortably" is perfectly fine when you don't end up with a $2500/mo mortgage to pay for it.

Yeah I feel sad to see Ryan and Centex and whoever getting demonized because they are the cheapest, entry level builders who are legit doing cost engineering to slash to the bone and offer houses as cheaply as they can at the bottom of the market.

My first house was new from Centex for $160k, a huge 2400sqft place with a 2 car garage that was the most expensive thing they built in the neighborhood. They have delivered an insane volume of cheap, decent homes in the US. It had a lot of cheap shortcuts in it like plastic single piece shower surrounds and prefab walls that got trucked in, but guess what? That single piece plastic can't have poor sealing or a cracked tile somewhere, and those prefab walls built in a factory are actually square.

The overall quality was fine on mine, probably because you have crews moving house to house doing the same thing to 40 houses in a row. Their low end designs tend to be way simpler and more forgiving of poor quality and fuckups. My current house from ostensibly a higher end builder sucks so much more in a dozen ways.

The big builders want conditions to be better for building lots of houses and selling them at prices where lots of people can buy them. They don't want every step of the process to be insanely expensive and slow. Ryan Homes is not the reason houses are expensive, if anything they're part of the solution.

Now, it is a big problem that they build these houses 25 miles from anywhere...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

A Bad King posted:

We are building 3500sq ft shacks on industrial agriwaste land with lower quality baselines than a Craftsman home purchased from the 19th century catalog. I don't understand this stage of development! Why do we continue on this path?! Where are the god drat trees?! Why can't we have windows??? I want to throttle these developers for their sheer inhumanity toward whoever has the lack of fucks to buy these things. It's a box, the simplest architecture thing we've built since time immemorial and we're just slapping them together with tape, vinyl, and nails, and hoping no one cares that everything falls apart as soon as home warranty expires. We have the gall to charge a family decades of their labor value for the privilege to live in the decay of petroleum fumes. Why!!! AAAAAaah

Hi, I'm the cheap builder defender and I'm logging on.

My apartment hiked the rent in me from $640/mo to 780/mo and I said "almost $800? gently caress that, I can buy a house for that" and I did.

I bought a lovely brown box on agriwaste land. Because of Houstons insane development history, we were in an empty wasteland in between Houston and a suburb, which actually put us only 5 miles from the Medical Center, with a shorter commute than the suburbs where most people live. The apartment we were living in was a lovely brown box anyway.

I lived there 6 years and barely it appreciated in price, but that ended up being a global good maybe because the guy I sold it to mentioned during the process that he was using some exotic mortgage instrument and had less than $8k to his name, but he was able to buy that big-rear end house anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

How you can tell that a country can only build single family detached homes on individually owned lots:

https://twitter.com/scottdaviscre/status/1677405522998206464

To be clear, I think this is a good thing broadly. You can go buy one of these! They exist! It even has a warranty! It is a house that you can live in for $130k, and you own the land that it's on, this is not a "tiny house illegally parked" situation.

https://twitter.com/scottdavisCRE/status/1677421173657796608

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can't believe people buy pedigree houses when there's so many desperate mutts looking for an owner.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i say swears online posted:

they refer to sex as "play"

It's probably better than

as made famous by
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1516071586264141827

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol what the gently caress is happening in Iowa when twelve stairs you might climb a few times a week are just too many stairs for people approaching the ripe old age of 40

Related: everyone who installs solar thinks they're going to get most of the money back when they sell the house, but to buyers 95% of buyers don't give a single poo poo and value it at $0, 4% hate it and give negative value, and 1% wants someone else's installed solar system.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

A Bad King posted:

Did you consider a tankless water heating system? I dream of the day I can put one in. They're magical.

I hate my tankless water heater. We've got a Navien NPE-240A, a big 199k BTU/H unit, and it's been an expensive pain. It has failed twice during parts warranty, and they won't send a homeowner parts, but only a licensed plumber. One of those was more than $750 in labor across 4 visits, including the 4th visit that I refused to pay for because it only happened because they did something wrong on the 3rd visit.

Water pressure varies when another big tap turns on, which means you get weird stuff and temperature fluctuations happening when someone else is using hot water. During the coldest part of winter it doesn't get the water fully up to temperature. It's vastly more complicated, but isn't really designed to be serviced, so when it broke one of those two times they just sent me a whole new motherboard, a part that apparently would have been about $500 if I had to pay for it. If you get a lovely plumber like I did, they won't be great at the "swapping motherboards and setting up firmware" part. Also, you lose hot water when the power goes out, unless you want to put it on a battery backup.

Anyway, I wish we had a plain tank water heater. Would have been cheaper to buy, and any lifetime efficiency savings have been entirely eaten by repair labor costs during warranty. I dread the next time this piece of poo poo breaks, because it's out of parts warranty now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jesus Christ that really is a full blown Victorian mansion. They couldn't afford it even without the bats, I'm picking up from the post.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i say swears online posted:

new numbers this morning showed the economy actually picked up a lil speed in spring which is loving insane

Yeah, they had to hike rates higher. I wonder how people will like 8% mortgages.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I always like to think of cash buyers showing up with a briefcase full of twenties. I know I know but that’s how I like to picture it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp29Mx4-4dg

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Raccooon posted:

Are the cash buyers just institutional buyers? Lost a house to a cash offer earlier in the year. Who the gently caress had that much cash laying around.

Have you heard that the premium consumer is strong? That's the premium consumer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nothus posted:

one of my high school classmates is bragging on facebook that she bought a house in cash after a facetime call after waiving the inspection and bidding above ask

lol :shepface:

drat, it's premium consumer.

What's her number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i am harry posted:

no that’s the sort of thing an inspection should catch

new roof is, what, like 15-20K?
new ac is like 5k
new water heater is 3k

My grandma's A/C broke on her tiny 50s 3 bedroom house.

Multiple contractors came out, quotes for replacing most of the system with entry level stuff, not even fancy Carrier brand or anything, ranged from $12k-$20k.

The $12k was some promo offer stacked with a senior discount.