Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

bawfuls posted:

a palate cleanser for the thread: crypto-mortgage backed securities!

https://twitter.com/jeannasmialek/status/1519374353049210880

Hahaha all they can do is keep running the same scam over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's pretty easy, your rear end in a top hat neighbors turn you in.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flophouse

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
What's with the bias against older homes in Japan? Is it a construction industry subsidy?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm guessing "AC available" and "electric heating" means you bring you own window ac unit and electric space heater.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/CollapseTalkPod/status/1523716115276644358?s=20&t=ISB4z5W49muXciE5kZnZqg

The replies are amazingly dumb, but I wish I knew the story behind the pictures.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
$200,000. It last sold for $150k in 2014, so not that bad. I guess nobody wants to live in East Bumfuck Kansas.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I looked up my grandparent's little town in north-central Kansas and everything that's turn-key livable is around $200k. The little towns with real jobs (e.g. a hospital or prison) are around $300k. What the gently caress.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A real missed opportunity to advertise it as "tornado resistant"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In this house, it's 1971 forever

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

WaryWarren posted:

yeah my property management company instituted a $10/month fee to pay for the maintenance of the online portal that manages online payments and maintenance requests (which they sometimes defer to ???). lol

Ours did this too, on top of a service fee for using any method of payment other than a direct transfer from a bank account and doubling "trash" and "activity" fees.

loving shakedown

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

Just pay the 5 bucks or whatever to get on the turnpike and then boom free rent for life at all the rest stops.

Sounds like a good way to get harassed by the highway patrol every few hours.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I hope it's paying to maintain that 40 year old reinforced concrete because otherwise lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

actionjackson posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/30/realestate/30hunt-mcquirter.html

narrator: 800k was not enough

eventually bought a duplex for just over 1.2m with help from "a gift from his father" and is renting part of it out for 6k/month

lmao

quote:

When he saw the East Hollywood duplex, he was smitten and made a $1.21 million offer — below the asking price, because the property had been on the market for months. After learning that developers had also submitted offers, he bumped his bid up to $1,217,500 and wrote what Mr. Wilson described as a “love letter” to the sellers, assuring them that he planned to keep the house a home.

And then

quote:

He’s currently renting out the property for a total of $6,000 a month, and plans to continue renting out part of it long term.

What a scumbag

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sunny Side Up posted:

We’ve been looking for a single family home rental in VT for six months and its wild how little is available. It’s worse where I am now in northern DE, literally zero homes most of the time.

We found one in Canaan VT but it was snatched in like minutes

Edit: our current lease is up 8/1 lol

It's the same here in western CT. We ended up in a different unit in the same apartment complex. It's because every modestly sized "normal" house that is move-in ready still costs north of $475.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

the mean lunch lady posted:

I live in a suburb of Kansas City where I would like to buy a house at some point and there are a TON of airbnbs there. I have no idea who would stay in one when visiting.

If it's like my old neighborhood in Philly, they're mostly used as party houses and illegal clubs.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last summer we replaced the a/c unit and all the ductwork, which was crappy out of date stuff and according to the guy in charge filled with decades of old people skin (house is from '75). he seemed legit disgusted by the idea of living with old ducts
They talked you into ripping the ducts out and putting in new ones?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I went to grad school with a guy from Shamokin. Confirmed that it is a depressing shithole.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

bawfuls posted:

I’ve thought about trying to get into the Netherlands since I work for a Dutch company now and they have some of the best urban design in the world in terms of walk/bike infrastructure. It is definitely the kind of place I’d rather raise kids (in a city that’s not hostile to pedestrians you can let kids walk/bike to the park or friends houses or after school activities by themselves) but it would be tough to leave all our family and friends.

Lol the Dutch are the surly chuds of Europe

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The Netherlands is the Texas of Europe. Hungary is Alabama and Poland is Mississippi.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm currently looking at upstate PA river cabins, the poo poo our parents owned for summer time fun

They're all 200K+ if they're salable. Anything under $100K are disasters with six figure assessments due to sewage issues. very cool.

I'm currently living in western CT on the NY border and tiny lake houses that were obviously built as vacation cabins are now for sale as $400k+ houses. 300k for a total wreck.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pffft. That's tame.

Welcome to western land realty.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Wild-Horse-Dr-San-Luis-CO-81152/2119433899_zpid/

That land isn't worth $5k.

It looks like they drew a grid in the sand in the middle of nowhere and started selling lots. There's literally nothing there (especially water).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburg...W9uX251bWJlcj0w

not sure what the gently caress is with this house, the inside is nice and the outside looks like poo poo. gg

Lmao at the kitchen. Drop ceiling with no stove?

Edit the lot is a mess. Lol at the fallen tree

Nothus has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Aug 17, 2022

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

What I'm seeing is that price decreases are only really happening in areas that are either extremely overheated or desperate speculation in less-desirable counties.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
This Old Groverhaus

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol I thought it was kind of cool before I looked at the map

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It seems to me that flipping is entirely a product of easy, low interest-rate financing for both the flippers and the buyers. The current rates should kill it off pretty quickly.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
All Money In Investing, LLC

lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crusty Nutsack posted:

fridge broke last week, landlord couldn't get a new one delivered until today. the stupid thing is way smaller than the last one, doesn't even have handles, just finger slots lmao

gently caress landlords now and forever

At least you don't have to replace it yourself

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

This house is pending at $209k now, damage and all.

Almost $15k off of the original ask, I wonder how much poo poo the flipper is eating.

We discussed the power cords running into the wall, and I'm pretty sure it's a really amateur installation job for the dumb ring/blink camera system.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mawarannahr posted:

this kitchen looks huge

"I want to turn this galley kitchen into an open concept, but why don't we just take half of the wall to the old formal dining room down and turn it into an island"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Someone swept the floor specifically for the picture

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Forget it Willa, it's Pittsburgh

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's either a basement condo or an especially depressing loft conversion.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Obama2 posted:

prices are being manipulated so home ownership is replaced with renting single family homes from hedge funds, sorry guys!

They've been telling you that this is the plan for a few years now

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

actionjackson posted:

a couple in one of the richest parts of minneapolis decided to leave a "legacy" by tearing down their 10,000 SQUARE FOOT home, and replacing it with four 2500 square foot condos, each listed at 2.5M (they will live in one of them)

fortunate we got rid of single family zoning

god bless

https://www.35groveland.com/

This sounds like a recipe for bugfuck crazy neighbors and an HOA Kafka would be proud of.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Nm

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://mosquitoloiteringsolutions.com/

what a dogshit society

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

MickeyFinn posted:

These laws were supposed to keep out other people, not me!

He just wants his grandson to go to a rich, white "good" school. Too bad Airbnb poisoned the well with a bunch of people who have the resources and wherewithal to ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

actionjackson posted:

i actually love how those buildings look because i'm a modernist slut, but is there actually a safety issue with them?

As long as the sprinkler system works, they're legally safe. Once neglect sets in all those cheap materials and engineered wood are going to make them fire traps.

They also age really poorly. I've lived in several and after about 5 years they start to fill with mold.