Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gtfo gentrifier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Millennials are waiting for the Boomers to die off in droves, but they're all gonna live to 90+ thanks to the hubris of modern healthcare. be best!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

a primate posted:

yea that’s what I was thinking

320k is an absolute shitload of money though, especially in the US where you pay like 15% tax or whatever it is

good news, it's actually 26% in a random city I selected (Denver, CO).

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#owkVQgxBC1

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I live right next to the U of Minn main campus, east bank, and yeah it's nice to have that option close by, though some of the other surrounding area has made a lot of improvements as well

The John Berryman Memorial Bridge is a nice stroll.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

krispykremessuck posted:

even Bremerton is getting dumb to the mxpx joke song came true

my friend and his wife *purchased a new home in Bremeloville earlier in the pandemic. A $400,000 starter home.

*20% down payment courtesy of the bank of Mom and Dad

Ferdinand Bardamu has issued a correction as of 19:44 on May 14, 2022

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I make half of 150k and live in the "sketchy" part of my city, because 1) I'm not sheltered 2) it's safe just a little old and worn down 3) not racist unlike the spoiled whites that work at Mayo 4) I grew up alternately between middle class and in public housing. So, I'm used to different people and living with not much.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
my apartment is 2BR, but the rent is 50-100% lower than the nearby "luxury studios".

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You are so virtuous and I'm glad you made sure to tell us you weren't racist.

better than being a racist in the chicago thread, cock.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
built and sold to my parents in 1976: $44k
sold in 1993: $150k
zestimate: $425k

every other house on my childhood street is $500-700k. prices didn't even take a dip in 2008-2009. that's naperville for you.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If you're stuck in WV, you welcome death every day. :chloe:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my landlord finally set up online payments and of course it'll cost me $2.95 for the pleasure of paying them through it lmao

scum of the earth motherfuckers

guess I'm gonna keep using checks until I die

yeah my property management company instituted a $10/month fee to pay for the maintenance of the online portal that manages online payments and maintenance requests (which they sometimes defer to ???). lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

winner winner, chicken dinner.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
sounds like freedom to me :911:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

Ohh yeah, when I lived in Italy, COL was trivial and I was paying too much as a dumb American, too. I showed up at the hospital with a minor emergency, an apparently fake healthcare card provided by the company I was working for, and no idea what was going on and they still treated me, uninsured, for 45 euro. The pills I needed afterwards were 6 euro. If you have no reason to stay where you are and can get work in Italy, it has its virtues. You might have to be white, though.

yeah I worked at a research center In Italy and they gave me an insurance card. I paid nothing to be treated for an outpatient procedure and actually got a few euros back (!) when I picked up my meds. Truly awful, would not recommend.

I have thought about buying a half share into a three bedroom flat my friend's family owns in the city center of Trento and trying to get citizenship based on language fluency, previous "skilled" employment in the country and having friends with family that can pull strings for permanent residency when I'm done working in the US. I am taking care of one of my parents right now and will be working for another 20 years or so in the US. worst comes to worst, a US passport holder can spend up to 180 days in the Schengen area every 365 days. So, spend half the year in the EU and get health care taken care of there instead lol.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
"Mr. C"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
This has been a divisive issue in Chicago. Property values go down. :qq:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/0...ity-land-trust/

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
drat, the trailer park boys would opt for life in prison in 2022.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

it wouldn’t surprise me if the garage is mostly filled with things and that there’s only room for one car in it.

And that one car is a Ford F850 King Ranch 4K 2160P edition, which doesn't fit in the garage so it's parked on the driveway every night.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

indigi posted:

I got knuckles built for knockin and nothing but time, baby.

spare your knuckles and look for homes that sold in 2015 in that area for less money than the grandma house

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

fortunately she has amazon RSUs to help with the down payment

:thermidor:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I haven't had a dishwasher since I was in high school. It'll be fine.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I spent 5 years cooking. I'll survive.

But I really want a deepwell sink and spray nozzle on a spring wrapped hose to complete the experience.

oh yeah, spray nozzles are nice. I've had to ask my current landlord to replace the garbage disposal three times in two years. The last I time asked, in September, the plumber came when I was at work and removed the old disposal and...installed a pvc pipe under that drain and connected it to the pipe under the other sink drain. and removed the spray nozzle because reasons? so, no disposal or spray nozzle now. thanks I guess.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

there's a house down the street from me with Trump MAGA flags as curtains. They're all shredded and faded by the sunlight. :sad:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

a couple in one of the richest parts of minneapolis decided to leave a "legacy" by tearing down their 10,000 SQUARE FOOT home, and replacing it with four 2500 square foot condos, each listed at 2.5M (they will live in one of them)

fortunate we got rid of single family zoning

god bless

https://www.35groveland.com/

your friend should cash in her amazon stock and scoop one up

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
my three closest friends either had their own parents front them the down payment or their spouse's parents did. must be nice. but also, what a poo poo society.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
My union (local gov't) just announced our new three year contract.

January cost of living increases:
2023 - 3%
2024 -2.75%
2025 -2.25%

I know people who work in gov't in other parts of the US, and they got 8% COLA (not including any merit increase) this year and probably for the foreseeable future too. Someone in suburban King County told me two out of their four health care plan options cost $0/month for a single or couple. Also, our contribution to medical insurance went up 20%. :fuckoff:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Humboldt Park is ungentrifiable!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
FISHTAB is a new one to me. I like it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Seattle feels like a fishing village that grew way too much and too quickly at that.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Barn doors for a bedroom closet? And this is in a well-maintained 100 year old home near downtown in my smallish city. $400k for 1,400 square feet in Minnesota lol.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I rented this house when I was in college ($600/month lol wonder what it goes for now). Anyway, a second bathroom had been added to the upstairs bedroom. Guess where it was?

if you guessed in that weird little addition that hangs over the porch you are correct. In fact, the toilet was placed so that your rear end was perfectly positioned to be viewed from the street through the window

goon compound spotted

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I just purchased it and will stage a forums fight club there. First bout? PFC vs. Action Jackson.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Radirot posted:

oh nice the rental unit supply is growing by 15 percent! oh wait what are the new unit rates starting at?

newly built apartments near me start at $1800 a month. median income in the county is $34000.

where I live, they are building "luxury" apartments like crazy. it's a company town and the company pays very well (world's best hospital). the people that work there say if it wasn't for these new apartments, they would be driving up the prices in the poorer side of town. but they also say that the increased supply in rental units will drive down the average rent. still waiting on that magic moment to happen lol.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i assume this is rochester (mn)

:wink:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

from local paper

2011 crew

looks like I won't be making the move from Crotchfester to MSP. Hello...Detroit?!?!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i remember when i visited paris in 2016 i stayed in this tiny little room with a very tiny bathroom, probably 100-150 SF total, but all I needed. very close to the eiffel tower and it was $30/night

I was there in October 2015 and stayed in a similar room. It was in Place d' Italie and cost $95/night. It was one of the few rooms in the city under $100/night, and I booked it months in advance.

Funny how I had to book a hotel room on the outskirts of Madison, WI last June and everything in that cluster was $180+/night. Just booked really nice rooms/apartments in Krakow/Budapest/Vienna/Prague for half that price or less. lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live in a fourplex built 60 years ago. The guy below me only works 20 hours per week at most, the rest of the week he's in his garden apartment. I've had to knock on his door about a dozen times to politely tell him to turn his sound system down late on a weekday night (1 AM). He doesn't know what an equalizer is, doesn't ever wear headphones/earbuds, and the fact that modern movies having that annoying bass noise added to everything make my walls vibrate and I can hear the bass when I'm in bed with earbuds in. So, I play a 10 hour brown noise youtube video when that poo poo starts up to drown it out. Every other tenant is quiet, so there's no need to play Jason Statham's latest masterpiece that loud.

Now I'm dealing with the lovely, old plumbing in the building, where if you're taking a warm shower and someone else turns on the water in their unit, mine instantly goes ice cold until they turn their water off. So annoying, the pipes are loud enough that you know when someone else is showering or using the water in general. My landlord texted me back that the building's pipes are old and undersized, there's nothing he can do about it. Have you tried talking to your neighbors? lol the same neighbors that have instigated the landlord to plaster the laundry room with such a tome like "How to Properly Use a Washer and Dryer" and the foyer and apartment doors with "Please don't flush garbage down the toilets" and "Guests cannot park their cars so that they block other tenants car inside the garage". But I'm saving $15,000/year living here over a "luxury" apartment that would be at least 50% smaller and have paper-thin walls and floors.

I'll have the #4 with a Mr. Pibb.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Austin is great in that it is like Berlin, it attracts the worst transplants and concentrates them in one place. A lot of people living off their parents largesse, while they try to make it as an electronic/goth musician. lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got preapproved for nearly $800K and they didn't even consider my current house in that, we're cruising towards 2008 at light speed

:thermidor: