Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

love to spent 4500/month to RENT a home that is in a completely car-dependent area where you don't even have sidewalks (notice picture lol)

https://www.startribune.com/upscale-rental-homes-catch-on-in-twin-cities-metro-area/600185458/

I get that there are some people for whom an arrangement like this could make sense, but I refuse to believe it's more than a tiny niche of people that have a combination of a lot of money and knowledge that they'll only be in the area for a short period of time. So like, executives that are on a rotation or athletes that need a local place to stay during the season. And I guess you could maybe add to that regular rich people that need a place to stay for a few months while selling their house and finding a new one, or something along those lines. Outside of that who wants to be dropping that much cash but still be renting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've been a roofer and it sucked but it also paid way better than any job I had until post college so land of contrasts and all that. There's no way it's worse than poo poo like being a picker for Amazon or a million other jobs that are as bad or worse on your body but also have lovely hours and pay a third as much.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

joepinetree posted:

But the text says that there was an inspector, just that they didn't catch the problems. Though how someone misses that none of the kitchen appliances work is beyond me.

Yeah, inspectors can be incompetent or biased but how is that not caught either by them, your realtor, or in the final walkthrough? No one opened up the fridge or turned on the stove?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ammanas posted:

nah combined 200k gets you a modest to nice home with a plot in almost every metro besides really big ones (LA, bay area, NY, etc), gets you a palace in most places, and a pretty nice condo or apartment in high demand locales.

400k combined means you buy multiple properties and start living the passive income life.

As recently as the mid 2010s, sure. Now that’s barely true even in the like 10th tier city that I live in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
When I had PMI up until 2020 I was pay $65 a month on a $190k loan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Like Uber, AirBnB got popular because they served an actual unmet need. Like Uber they rampantly disregard laws in order to be more profitable and that’s a real problem but your kidding yourself if you are pretending that there isn’t a use case for being able to rent out a full apartment or house for a few days vs hotel options. The solution is to hold them accountable to being short term hotels not to pretend that a hotel serves the same purpose.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

finding a phone number for a cab company doesn’t seem like a huge onerous thing considering we all have smart phones

If you live in a place with reliable cab service, sure. That’s not most places.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

Bankrate.com recently compared 30- and 40-year mortgages and found on a $312,000 loan at 6.85% interest, the monthly payments were $2,044 for 30 years and $1,904 for 40 years.

The extra 10 years also added more interest, close to $170,000 more, but in the short term, experts said it can make a difference, especially since many homeowners hardly stay in one house for 30 or 40 years

lmao just being completely open about the goal being to make it so you're just paying interest and never actually building any equity in the home. Might as well just rent at that point because you're taking on all the negatives and risks of home ownership without any of the positives. .

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

More and more existing homeowners will basically be trapped in their current homes or need to use the entirety of their "gains" as a down payment if they want to move into another house with a higher mortgage payment.

It's not great!

Yeah it sucks. We’d like to move because this was our first house and there’s stuff we didn’t realize we’d like or not like until we were homeowners and parents but even just moving in to identical house just with a different floor plan that we like better would double our mortgage payment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I refuse to check and see if this is real because I want it to be real.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

spacemang_spliff posted:

explaint his to me a dumb dumb

this is basically a checking account but you use your home equity?

I clicked on the link to try and figure that out but they intentionally are very vague about it. My assumption is that you get a line of credit equal to whatever equity you have in your house and as you pay off the mortgage and (if you're lucky) have appreciation then your HELOC limit will increase over time but they do not state that or really state anything which would make it clear what exactly this product is.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
For real where do you guys live where having a lawyer to close on a house is a standard thing. Even BFC’s housing thread just mentions them as a maybe nice to have if you feel like it thing that no one does and mostly just warns you to make sure you get title insurance.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ArmZ posted:

he's right in the sense that we are still dealing with the legacy of 1970s white flight and anti-annexation laws that moved the property tax base (AKA school funding) to the suburbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_dependence

Yeah but taking the worst and most exaggerated example of a thing and then insisting that everyone who does that thing is only doing it because of that worst and most exaggerated example is PFCs posting style. So therefore if anyone has ever moved to a different school district to avoid minorities then that means anyone who ever moves for their kids for any reason is doing it to avoid minorities and there is simply no other explanation possible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I feel like a huge dummy for buying a reasonable house that I could easily afford the payments on because now 7 years later we have kids and also now have a much better idea of what we want in a house but woops, can’t move.Even a marginal upgrade would at least double the mortgage payment.

Shoulda bought the max they would have given me a loan for back in 2016.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

same

can you expand your current house with an addition ?

We could build out over the garage I suppose, but I cringe to learn how much that would cost. There's some improvements we could make but they're mostly stuff that would help if and when we sold the house vs making much of a difference for us right now. Stuff like make the room in the basement that we use as an office a conforming bedroom by putting in an egress window, make the bathroom down there that the prior owners put in themselves up to code, repaint or put down new carpet, that kind of stuff.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

is there yard space for an office shed ? or something like that

Naw. In fact part of what we'd love to upgrade to is a larger yard with an outbuilding, which pre 2020 we would have been able to do without a huge cost because getting a half acre or acre lot isn't a big expense in Iowa as long as you're fine with living on the outskirts of town but lol, now those places are a minimum $500k and come with a 7% mortgage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

imo 40-year or longer mortgages will become the norm and the majority of new originations before we're anywhere near the top

the answer is going to be more debt, not lower prices

The difference in payments from 30 to 40 years is minor. For a $500k loan at 7% you are looking at $3,107.16 of principal and interest for a 40 year loan and $3,326.51 for a 30 year loan. Even going to 50 years you're still at about $3k/month. Longer mortgages don't have the same impact that longer car loans do because 30 years is already an extremely long time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao going to a 99 year loan doesn't even make a difference at 7% with a $500k loan. It's $2,919.58 a month that's still almost 90% of what you're paying for a 30 year loan

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

i say swears online posted:

also a large % (5-10%?) of our generation is a full-stack working for amazon for $300,000/year and paid off their piddly $550k pad in the bay area before moving to austin and buying the largest house the realtor said they could afford

5-10% of any generation isn't working FAANG type jobs. It's not a trivial number but $300k puts you firmly in the top 5% of household income period and that's accounting for two income households and also all age groups so also includes every other type of high income job across every industry.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

see this is what letting PFC continue to post does to a thread

This is a PFC containment thread. That's what it's here for.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Acelerion posted:

I have missed out on so much loving money. Don't be like me.

I've posted about it before but I'm a huge dummy for spending less than $200k on a house in 2016 because I wanted to keep a low mortgage payment that, if one of my wife or I got laid off, we'd be able to tighten our belts and afford. And then in 2020 we refinanced to a super low interest rate instead of moving in to a bigger house. We were fools, morons. Absolute idiots. We should have leveraged ourselves to the hilt for a $400k or $500k house that hit on every single thing that we wanted instead of making some compromises because now with both prices and interest rates spiking we're 7 years later and would like to move because we have different priorities now and also know a lot better what we actually want out of a house but lol, moving up even one step on the price point ladder would double our mortgage payments. The people who leveraged themselves before 2020 are the winners.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’m kidding I’m mostly jealous all of that mortgage interest is deductible

It's not anymore.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bastard Tetris posted:

It is under certain circumstances, up to about $750k I think? Standard deduction tops out at like $27k or something

Yeah, I guess it still exists under certain circumstances, for most people though it isn't gonna cause you to go over the standard deduction so it's essentially gone. Though seeing the math on new interest rates that may now be a dated opinion from the privilege of a mortgage that I refinanced in 2020 at 2.25% so I only pay $225/month in interest and will be sub $200/month in early 2025.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lmao of course they are a blue check.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ammanas posted:

i cant load the full pic due to mobile but whats funny about it? if the foundation and frame are solid and i had 400k id buy that. put in a/c and sf is about as good as you can get for livable during climate change as it gets in CA

It is gutted from a fire so "Put in a/c" is kind of underselling the amount of work you'd have to do to make it habitable after paying three quarters of a million dollars.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mistermojo posted:

these are the kinds of houses and backyards I dont understand. I wouldnt want to set foot outside let alone sit in my hot tub

Actually has a bunch of mature trees compared to what you normally see in that type of neighborhood so probably reasonably private for a good chunk of the year when those limbs aren't bare.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The notable thing about a Pittsburgh toilet isn’t that it’s in the basement it’s that it’s out in the open.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Behold, a pittsburgh toilet in the wild

It's in the corner and there is a wall on three sides that's no Pittsburgh toilet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That's the kind of poor insight on the real Pittsburgh experience that I'd expect from someone that lives in the suburbs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Beached Whale posted:

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

Getting gentrified and not even getting a microbrew with a Biergarten out of it but a strip mall with a Chilis and an Applebee’s instead.